News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:28:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Odd flap/elevator horns  (Read 619 times)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Odd flap/elevator horns
« on: May 22, 2022, 09:41:16 AM »
A guy gave me a box of C/L stuff, mostly small items - tanks, bellcranks, etc.
Mostly junk but these caught my eye.
Most of the horns I see/use are assembled with silver solder or something similar.
Are these worth using or do they go in the trash?

Bob Z.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
Re: Odd flap/elevator horns
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 09:48:12 AM »
what do they look like????
rad racer

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 09:49:13 AM »
I forgot the photo!!!

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 10:01:15 AM »
Bob, i built a Fancy Pants years ago that included one of those horns. I didn't know better and used it. Lasted 2 flights and the plastic snapped, Brodak said it must have been one of the first kits and sent me new flaps and a new horn. BTW just opened a new Fancy Pants kit , will take me days to hand cut the die smashed parts  n~.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 10:26:27 AM »
Those look like old Sig horns -- I think I still have a couple of them in their blister packs, from 40-45 years ago.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 10:28:28 AM »
Bob. Those horns look like what Sig sells/sold. I just found 2. I also have one in the package lying around somewhere.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 11:17:22 AM »
Pitcher, with most of the four decades of shop dust wiped off.  I bought these then got out of control line for decades.  I'm not sure I would have ever used it.  I'm sure that you could make a control horn that's nylon bonded to music wire -- I just don't think that this design is beefy enough.

Which does beg the question of why I just tossed it into my drawer full of control hardware...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 11:18:28 AM »
A long time ago, before I knew better, I used whatever came in the kit.  None of my planes lasted long enough to fail those horns with the nylon upright.  Nevertheless, after hearing the horror stories, and taking a closer look at how those horns were made, I would never use them now.  There are much better alternatives, such as making your own.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 08:51:22 PM »
As long as we are on the old flap horn topic, does know where you can get those horn springs that used to come with, I think Veco horns.  I just bent up a pair of split flap horns and noticed, as I was admiring my work that I had left off the tubing - on BOTH of them.

As for the SIG horn - DON'T

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 08:54:03 PM »
 Try some old ball point pen springs

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2022, 08:54:19 PM »
As long as we are on the old flap horn topic, does know where you can get those horn springs that used to come with, I think Veco horns.  I just bent up a pair of split flap horns and noticed, as I was admiring my work that I had left off the tubing - on BOTH of them.

As for the SIG horn - DON'T

Ken

If you mean the tubing that you're supposed to be stitching to your TE -- oops.  Been there, done that.  You can bend thick-ish (5 or 10 mill) brass sheet around music wire; if you tighten it in a vice just so it forms a tube that can be snapped onto the wire, and has handy "handles" that go into a hinge slot.
AMA 64232

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2022, 10:02:31 PM »
Try some old ball point pen springs
The wrap is too loose on those.  The ones I remember were long enough to really support the horn.  I will probably have to use the coper clips or, and I did this once and it worked, slip an oversized ball bearing over the wire then split a brass tube and "pop it" onto the wire then drive the bearing over the tube.  Lotta work.  Maybe somebody knows where to find them.  I used 1/8 wire and it would be my luck that the springs were 3/32. mw~

ken

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2022, 06:08:51 AM »
Well, you really convinced me!
I won't even try!
Out of curiosity, I took one apart - that really clarified what a poor design it was.

THANKS for all the informative feedback.

Bob Z.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here