News:

• April 23, 2024, 08:30:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Northwest Regionals  (Read 7320 times)

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Northwest Regionals
« on: May 28, 2019, 12:58:00 AM »
As they say in the Northwest, April showers bring May showers.  We set out Friday morning among said showers to the Northwest Regionals in Roseburg, Oregon.  We took the geriatric Honda van, rather than the Prius, because we had two stunt planes and two sets of ground support equipment, supporting both an electric and an acoustic stunter.  Well, not quite a complete set of acoustic-stunter GSE.  My plan was to buy a starting battery and wire it up along the way.  This sorta worked, but every time I stopped to work on the wiring, I got drenched by one of the May showers.  Holiday weekend traffic and the lack of an adaptive cruise control made it a long and arduous journey. 

The acoustic stunter in question was Gordan Delaney's famous Pathfinder Two profile twin.  I can't fly it at my electric-only home field, so I planned to get to Roseburg early Friday to get the finicky .15s working.  I didn't get there early enough, but did get in a couple partial flights, losing a little blood reminding myself to start the left engine first.  The Profile event was Saturday, following Classic.  I was hoping I could sneak in some more flights in the morning during Classic.  No joy, because they were flying Scale on the other circle.  A couple of guys had very cool scale SR-71s. Paul Gibeault, the Banjock of the West, installed a rocket engine in his, which was most entertaining. 

My first round Profile flight started out great.  Gordan's airplane is easy to fly good stunt with, and I was flying some mighty good stunt.  Too bad an engine went bad in the triangles.  The resultant 300-something score was not going to suffice.   Then, with my homies' help, I cleaned out and leak-checked all the plumbing, tightened and fiddled with everything, and ran a tank of fuel through both engines while walking up and down the flight line annoying the Varsity, who were now practicing stunt on the Scale circle.  To my delight, both engines ran fine throughout my second flight and even quit at the right time.  Air and airplane were perfect, so I couldn't help winning the event.  I displayed the grace and humility in victory characteristic of the Jive Combat Team. 

Real stunt was Sunday.  Mark Scarborough volunteered to warm up the judges, but I hadn't gotten any practice in on my real stunt plane, so I shoved him out of the way and did the warmup flight, which was kinda interesting, because my mind was still adjusted to the Pathfinder's handle setting. 

I have been hanging with the Varsity, learning their ways and lore. One piece of lore I learned this weekend was the Regionals Curse, to wit that nobody who wins the Regionals goes on to win the Nats the same year.  I'm not a superstitious man, but I sandbagged enough to ensure I had a chance at the Nats.  Paul won with his--um--interesting looking new airplane.  David was second.  Chris Cox was third, a placing he announced to me accompanied by a sticking out of his tongue.  You are probably wondering what we did about Brett.  I have been worrying about his reciprocating on whatever form of sabotage we conduct, so I tried to come up with something I could do to him that he could not do back to me.  I thought the solution was rather clever: I peed in his fuel. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 01:16:27 AM by Howard Rush »
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Nothwest Regionals
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 01:15:02 AM »
You are probably wondering what we did about Brett.  I have been worrying about his reciprocating on whatever form of sabotage we conduct, so I tried to come up with something I could do to him that he could not do back to me.  I thought the solution was rather clever: I peed in his fuel.

I think I proved to everyone assembled that I need no help in the area of sabotage - clearly, I can manage that very nicely without external assistance. One stupid problem after another, nothing completely catastrophic, but plenty enough to wreck my concentration. I am kind of surprised a meteorite didn't hit the van on the way home.

A complete fiasco, and some very poor flying. I struggled my way up to "acceptable" by the last flight of the contest, but not good enough. I spent most of the day on Sunday, trying to gather myself sufficiently to get through a flight, but my first flight was pretty embarrassing, just bad planning and bad flying.

Brett

Offline Jerry Eichten

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
    • Flying Lines
Re: Northwest Regionals
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 02:00:13 AM »
Northwest Regionals is a fantastic gathering.  Look for a full report soon on the very fine Flying Lines site at flyinglines.org

AMA 7693

Offline Jerry Eichten

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
    • Flying Lines
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 02:07:09 AM »
Expert and Advanced PA
AMA 7693

Online Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 07:07:04 AM »
Howard, some guy with a weird looking airplane totally ripped off your plane’s paint job.

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 01:40:31 PM »
Howard! You let some little canuk beat you by half a point! Have you no pride?
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 01:46:44 PM »
Howard! You let some little canuk beat you by half a point! Have you no pride?

You've been letting him win your contest.  That's even worse. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 01:55:41 PM »
You've been letting him win your contest.  That's even worse.
I know, we really do need a border wall.

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Rick_Huff

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 02:15:23 PM »
Howard,
That Pathfinder Twin might like electron-power.  You wouldn't want to tempt any "reciprocation".   
Rick

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 03:53:41 PM »
Glad you guys had fun.  Wish I could have been there. Looked like fun in spite of the rain.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 04:43:56 PM »
You guise must put less pictures and videos from the event. I do not have that much time to watch them all.  >:( FYI that was sarcasm.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 05:05:11 PM »
I was too busy taking up old bad habits and trying to light the world on fire Saturday.  Sunday I had a headache, possibly from a mild nicotine overdose.

Chris Cox really needs to post a video into this thread.  He knows which one.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 06:42:11 PM »
I'd like to thank all the judges for putting up with the often less than perfect weather just so the rest of us could have fun. Also I want to apologize to the designer of my plane and promise to try to do better next year. Cheers.
AMA 34849

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 07:03:48 PM »
Chris Cox really needs to post a video into this thread.  He knows which one.
[/quote]g

Tim - Seems I am not smart enough to attach the file.  Either that, or it is too large.

WRT sticking out my tongue at Howard.  What Howard does not mention is that he stuck his tongue out at me a couple of hours earlier following Round 1. 

WRT to Brian Masseys comments, I just stuck my tongue out at you as well.

WRT to someone copying Howard’s paint design, if you go back about 27 years, you might find the reverse is actually true.

😛😛😛

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 07:06:15 PM »
[quote author=Howard Rush link=topic=53698.msg555420#msg555420 date=1559026680 

My first round Profile flight started out great.  Gordan's airplane is easy to fly good stunt with, and I was flying some mighty good stunt.  Too bad an engine went bad in the triangles.  The resultant 300-something score was not going to suffice.   Then, with my homies' help, I cleaned out and leak-checked all the plumbing, tightened and fiddled with everything, and ran a tank of fuel through both engines while walking up and down the flight line annoying the Varsity, who were now practicing stunt on the Scale circle.  To my delight, both engines ran fine throughout my second flight and even quit at the right time.  Air and airplane were perfect, so I couldn't help winning the event.  I displayed the grace and humility in victory characteristic of the Jive Combat Team. 

I have been hanging with the Varsity, learning their ways and lore. One piece of lore I learned this weekend was the Regionals Curse, to wit that nobody who wins the Regionals goes on to win the Nats the same year.  I'm not a superstitious man, but I sandbagged enough to ensure I had a chance at the Nats. [/quote]

Howard, that curse could also apply to winning Profile Stunt.  Has anyone won Regional Profile and done well, or even gone to Nats?
Fred

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 10:55:14 PM »
I will be forever grateful to you Tim for being my "Fuse Man"  for my Scale SR-71 flight and Chris Cox for recording it on video.. I owe you guys one!   H^^

I was too busy taking up old bad habits and trying to light the world on fire Saturday.  Sunday I had a headache, possibly from a mild nicotine overdose.

Man" for the
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 03:05:41 PM by PaulGibeault »

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 09:16:48 AM »
Advanced and Expert Appearance Judging

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 09:17:32 AM »
Looking from the opposite direction

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2019, 09:32:38 AM »
Thanks for the pics Chris, looks a bit dampish. Sorry I had to miss this year's contest, I would love to have seen you dropping to 3rd in the rankings  ;D.

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2019, 07:07:24 PM »
Thanks for the pics Chris, looks a bit dampish. Sorry I had to miss this year's contest, I would love to have seen you dropping to 3rd in the rankings  ;D.

Brian

Brian - I think we need to talk...

<=

Offline johnt4051

• Commander
    • Flying Lines
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2019, 07:30:51 PM »
The report and photo gallery is now on flyinglines.org.
John Thompson
Flying Lines

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2019, 07:31:35 PM »
Thanks for the pics Chris, looks a bit dampish.

Sunday was the good day.  Saturday we got a steady rain starting at around the second round of Profile that lasted into the night.  I stayed out in it to judge, even though my fellow judge decided that he'd judge from the tent.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2019, 07:40:18 PM »
I will be forever grateful to you Tim for being my "Fuse Man"  for my Scale SR-71 flight. I owe you one!   H^^

What engine was that, Paul?  Looked like an Aerotech single-use 24mm, maybe an E6-P glider engine?  The Flying Lines says it's a Jetex, but it was clearly a composite model rocket motor.

I was watching one of the ground-test firings, and you looked very surprised when it finally stopped "chuffing" and lit for serious. A lot more thrust than you think, even a little one like this.

Brett

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2019, 09:48:02 PM »
Brian - I think we need to talk...

<=
Be careful what you say, I still hold  your chair hostage! (Sorry I wasn't able to get it to you at the NWR, guess you'll have to wait till the GSSC.)

B

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2019, 09:52:47 AM »
"I still hold your chair hostage!"

How much for the chair?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 10:16:59 AM by Bobs your Uncle »
Tortured Stunt Flyer Department

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2019, 11:17:32 AM »
Howard, some guy with a weird looking airplane totally ripped off your plane’s paint job.

Except for the tail, that weird airplane dates from 1992.  It has been hanging from the nose since then and has sagged some.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2019, 12:44:28 PM »

How much for the chair?
Well that's negotiable, but it is a pretty cool chair.  ;D

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2019, 02:12:48 PM »
Is it possible that flying the twin cost you a single point????

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2019, 02:55:13 PM »
What a thrill to participate this year. It was an honor to be DESTROYED by Fitzgerald and Walker as the Advanced judges. I can't post pictures here, but if you're on the control line facebook, I'll put a pile of photos up there tonight.

David

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2019, 03:45:16 PM »
Is it possible that flying the twin cost you a single point????

I'm pretty sure it was at least 17.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2019, 08:05:54 PM »
Well that's negotiable, but it is a pretty cool chair.  ;D

More of a foot stool, actually.  n1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2019, 01:17:37 PM »
"I still hold your chair hostage!"

How much for the chair?

I will take some balsa in exchange!

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2019, 02:26:23 PM »
and I'll be happy to deliver it...Next Year!  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2019, 04:42:08 PM »
I will take some balsa in exchange!

I believe my negotiations for the hostage will have to be with Brian

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2019, 03:25:27 PM »
Brett,

INDEED! My SR-71 Blackbird model incorporated a Aerotech Composite Rocket Motor E15-PW 61388. Six Newtons of thrust, & lots of safety warnings come with it!

YOU BET I was surprised by the thrust it produced when I test fired it on on the ground! That initial "chuffing" (prior to full light off) had lulled me into a very false sense of security!
It was a good thing I had a good grip on the model!
 ( "Eyes as big a pie plates" was one comment overheard...)

Cheers, Paul (aka Rocketman)

What engine was that, Paul?  Looked like an Aerotech single-use 24mm, maybe an E6-P glider engine?  The Flying Lines says it's a Jetex, but it was clearly a composite model rocket motor.

I was watching one of the ground-test firings, and you looked very surprised when it finally stopped "chuffing" and lit for serious. A lot more thrust than you think, even a little one like this.

Brett

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2019, 03:35:57 PM »
Brett,

INDEED! My SR-71 Blackbird model incorporated a Aerotech Composite Rocket Motor E15-PW 61388. Six Newtons of thrust, & lots of safety warnings come with it!

YOU BET I was surprised by the thrust it produced when I test fired it on on the ground! That initial "chuffing" (prior to full light off) had lulled me into a very false sense of security!
It was a good thing I had a good grip on the model!
 ( "Eyes as big a pie plates" was one comment overheard...)

Cheers, Paul (aka Rocketman)
That is stinking FANTASTIC!!

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2019, 04:03:32 PM »
Brett,

On the topic of safety, they normally recommend staying 25 feet away when igniting it using an electrical ignition, because they sometimes "cato", that is fail catastrophically, i.e. explode violently.  I think a foot away with dynamite fuse is probably not in the instructions!

The average thrust is 15 newtons, not 6, I think, which is around 3 and a half pounds - more than a typical 35-sized stunt plane. I can get you the tested thrust curve, it peaks out around 20, I think.

The fuse is why it "chuffed", by the way. The propellant is rather hard to get ignited under any circumstances, and it is supposed to be ignited at the head end, not the exhaust end. Igniting them at the exhaust end tends to lead to what you had (which would be disastrous on a rocket, just enough to push it weakly off the launcher, fall to the ground, then come up to full pressure, after which we see who can run the fastest). Or a long slow smoldering burn with nearly no thrust. One of the tests looked kind of like that, actually.

All that aside, it was spectacular!

As an alternate engine suggestion, there's and E6-P reloadable engine. This goes longer with less thrust, which might be better for this application. It's intended to launch RC Rocket Gliders vertically, but slowly enough that you can control it on the boost, and it will take a draggy glider much higher than a E15, and not rip the wings off.

These are much less expensive per operation, since the reload just contains the propellant and a replaceable nozzle, but requires a reusable engine case (which is special for a "plugged"/-P application). Fortunately, you know someone who owns one of those and would be willing to loan it for similarly spectacular future operations.

Brett
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 04:21:33 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2019, 04:26:36 PM »
... Fortunately, you know someone who owns one of those and would be willing to loan it for similarly spectacular future operations. ...

I'm not sure he'll be back.  I think the sight of what scale modelers call "1/2A engines" might scare him off.
AMA 64232

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Northwest Regionals follow-up
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2019, 06:43:24 PM »
As I mentioned above, I flew poorly and was poorly prepared. On my first flight, I severely under-turned both my 120 inside corners and almost crashed in the triangles. The peanut gallery assumed it was a stall in the rain (although it wasn't raining when I flew). The real issue was that the engine dropped into about a 16-stroke right at the entry, almost quitting, particularly in the hourglass, right as the corner started. I did a lot better on the hourglass, although completely unnacceptable, just because I backed it off a lot. It was doing similar types of 4-2 break engine things all weekend, and the needle hadn't been responding correctly. Recall that I have about a million flights on these engines, I can usually tell immediately if something is off, it doesn't suddenly change.

Today I found the issue. The pipe I was running has a pressure tap. Apparently, the pressure tap had blown off at some point early in the weekend (it was definitely in place when I put the engine back in the airplane before the previous flying session). This turned my tuned pipe engine into a 4-2 break engine. That also explains why it was blowing oil into the pipe tunnel and left a God-awful mess everywhere. With the other settings, losing the pipe tuning would result in rather extreme responses in some places. The solution is going to be to cut off the tap completely and fill the hole.

This was consistent with the Keystone Kops operation I ran all weekend, it was really a pretty pathetic show. The event deserves a better effort than I gave it at the Regionals.

Brett

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2019, 08:17:30 PM »
Brett,
Glad to hear the investigation revealed a definite cause, and a correctable one at that. There is little worse than not finding any certain cause, and thus not knowing how to correct it.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Airacobra

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2019, 09:44:54 PM »
I love that Chipmunk!!
Keith Bryant

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2019, 08:39:32 PM »
Brett..

That sounds alot like the ole IC tech is causing a few headaches..
When will the new electric be finished??
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2019, 10:11:59 PM »
Brett..

That sounds alot like the ole IC tech is causing a few headaches..
When will the new electric be finished??

Don't hold your breath PJ!  😁

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2019, 11:33:45 PM »
Don't hold your breath PJ!  😁

For the electric, certainly not. But the 103 degree temperatures and nitrate dope make for rapid progress. I will likely have the new airplane primed by Saturday and base color on Tuesday.

Brett

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2019, 04:58:33 AM »
    For the electric, certainly not. But the 103 degree temperatures and nitrate dope make for rapid progress. I will likely have the new airplane primed by Saturday and base color on Tuesday.

Brett

What???!!! Brett Buck will have a new plane soon?

Derek

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2019, 04:11:37 PM »
Yea, how cool is that. Brett builds slower than Howard and that takes some doing.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2019, 07:41:29 PM »
Yea, how cool is that. Brett builds slower than Howard and that takes some doing.

We'll see, it was bare balsa individual components at the time of the regionals, today it is completely assembled, covered, sanded and sealed with many coats of nitrate, and fillets will be on tonight. Doesn't seem that slow to me.

I build plenty fast, and reasonably efficient - when I have time and space to work on it.

Oh, and we are in a major test phase for our 6th spacecraft, and launching #5 on June 27.

Brett

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2019, 07:48:27 PM »
Good luck with Milstar #5.  My, how time flies.  You might remember I served as Test Director on Milstar #2.  Seems like ages ago!
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2019, 08:01:04 PM »
Good luck with Milstar #5.  My, how time flies.  You might remember I served as Test Director on Milstar #2.  Seems like ages ago!

Thanks - but this is AEHF SV-5. MILSTAR Block III, if you will. 6 looks good so far in final system test.

MILSTAR DFS-1, 2, 4, 5, 6 are all still going and operating well. So are AEHF 1, 2, 3, and 4. MILSTAR DFS-3 is still tumbling around in the wrong orbit and dead.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2019, 10:42:13 PM »
What???!!! Brett Buck will have a new plane soon?

Here it is, almost ready to fly, just a few parts to go bolt together. You will note that instead of an ordinary patriotic paint scheme, or a gaudy flouresent colors and checkerboards finish that looks like it came from a surf shop in 1988, I have opted for a modern satin-black finish with pale blue highlights. This is consistent with my new Goth lifestyle.

Brett

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2019, 04:28:37 AM »
   Here it is, almost ready to fly, just a few parts to go bolt together. You will note that instead of an ordinary patriotic paint scheme, or a gaudy flouresent colors and checkerboards finish that looks like it came from a surf shop in 1988, I have opted for a modern satin-black finish with pale blue highlights. This is consistent with my new Goth lifestyle.

Brett

Based on the lamp, blanket, and carpet, I would think you were going for the 1978 look. Goth plane in 1978? You're quite the trend setter.

Derek

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2019, 06:28:33 AM »
Just wondring if you are going to show up at the next contest with the new Goth airplane?  By the way, you will be wearing Goth style clothing and of course make-up, to round out the presentation won't you?

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2019, 07:04:24 AM »
Is that one of the latest release Saturn V back there?
Steve

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2019, 08:49:07 PM »
Can we talk about the bed in the room?

Ive worked that hard that I need 2 steps to sleep!

Although.. if you need to get up at 2am I guess putting in a few hours is fairly logical.

No need to fire up a big cold workshop..

As for the new build! This is about as exciting as it gets..

Forget the olympics that happens every 4 years..

Transit of Venus is actually an astronomical phenomenon in which planet Venus travels between Earth and Sun?
Every 8 years...

This is an event not witnessed for close to 2 decades.

Take it in and embrace the process, dont rush it.. there is always 2020, and this one could see you out till 2040.

Then think about the new electric tech.

:)
:)

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2019, 09:51:39 PM »
Can we talk about the bed in the room?

I would prefer not, but, given that this is my one and only bedroom, you might understand how I only build airplanes occasionally. All that stuff is normally stored somewhere.

Brett

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2019, 11:59:41 PM »
I can help you with colors for your new plane!!!!

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2019, 12:06:14 AM »
I can help you with colors for your new plane!!!!

I am not sure that constitutes "help".  Besides,  Betsy Ross solved that problem for me a long time ago.

Brett

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2019, 02:38:46 PM »
I can appreciate anyone with  "dark" attitude.  It's worked for me.  People tend to avoid me, and that's just fine.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2019, 03:11:56 PM »
   I am not sure that constitutes "help".  Besides,  Betsy Ross solved that problem for me a long time ago.

Brett

Total nonsense, Betsy included stars in her work and I don't see many of those on your current flying Antique, just a strong resemblance to the French Flag.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 11:17:50 AM by BYU »

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2019, 03:55:53 PM »
Next thing you know Bob’s Your Uncle will claim that Betsy copied her colo(u)rs and that Abner Doubleday didn’t invent baseball.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2019, 09:00:36 AM »
Next thing you know Bob’s Your Uncle will claim that Betsy copied her colo(u)rs and that Abner Doubleday didn’t invent baseball.

That is complete heresy, I wouldn't dream of it.

My next plane is definitely getting stars to go with it's red stripes (instead of the French flag scheme favored by Brett)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 11:02:51 AM by BYU »

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2019, 10:13:59 AM »
Never saw a 600 at the NATS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2019, 12:00:29 PM »
Never saw a 600 at the NATS.

I have had over 600 on individual score sheets, but the highest I recall (and I really don't recall most of them, since the absolute value of the score is irrelevant) for an average was 595, only interesting because I was ahead of Billy for the first time. Late 90's/Early 2000s.

Brett

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2019, 12:39:10 AM »
Brett, it wasnt a comment on your living situation.

I dont think it matters to anyone if the shop is 20sq or 1.. if you have passion for the build anything is possible.

I was infact paying homage to your obvious late night building sessions where efficiency has been increased by a reduction is "transit time" between building board and much needed REM.

I think its a brilliant move..
Whilst others require a shuttle bus from their workshops, you are gaining micro time units and using them to your advantage.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2019, 10:46:11 AM »
Brett, it wasnt a comment on your living situation.

I dont think it matters to anyone if the shop is 20sq or 1.. if you have passion for the build anything is possible.

I was infact paying homage to your obvious late night building sessions where efficiency has been increased by a reduction is "transit time" between building board and much needed REM.

I think its a brilliant move..
Whilst others require a shuttle bus from their workshops, you are gaining micro time units and using them to your advantage.

I didn't take it that way, but, it has inhibited my progress a bit. The building part is no real problem, but lack of facilities to paint is a significant impediment to both me and my unfortunate buddies, who have to put up with me for extended periods, more-or-less on-demand.

I came from a full basement workshop when I lived at home in Kentucky to half a room, with my bed in it, so it took a little adapting.

BTW, it's primed and about half-sanded down, still on track to get the base color later this week. It looked pretty good at the "oh my God, what have I done?" stage when primer goes on it, so I am encouraged a bit by that. I just wish we didn't have a launch on the 27th.

Brett

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2019, 11:11:52 AM »
I just wish we didn't have a launch on the 27th.

Brett
[/quote]

As we discussed in Roseburg, there are "solutions" for that problem!

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2019, 11:12:58 AM »
And "that" problem seems to happen each year at Nat's time.....

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2019, 11:21:46 AM »
And "that" problem seems to happen each year at Nat's time.....

Right - all the MILSTAR launches were conveniently in the winter. Conveniently, presuming you like being cold a lot, since Colorado Springs in February can be a bit nippy. Now that we have an acceptable support facility for us to stay in Sunnyvale, the AEHF launches have been in the summer and fall.

Of course, the real solution is clear, stop showing up at work.

Brett

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2019, 11:22:43 AM »
Get them to move it, tell them a Nat's is involved. They will understand.

No way on this one, but, I did get another major activity rescheduled because it conflicted with the 96 NATs.

Brett

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2019, 11:34:29 AM »
Yeah, Brett, you're a very goth sort of guy. Have you got a sleeveless leather vest to wear while flying yet?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2019, 11:45:08 AM »
Brett - " I came from a full basement workshop when I lived at home in Kentucky to half a room, with my bed in it, so it took a little adapting. "

I thought they paid rocket scientists more.

Howard - Abner Doubleday didn't invent baseball. The game had been around in various forms for more than 50 years before Doubleday legend came along.  Here's the real story:

https://www.history.com/news/who-invented-baseball

In short, for those that don't want to click:

In September 1845, a group of New York City men founded the New York Knickerbocker Baseball Club. One of them—volunteer firefighter and bank clerk Alexander Joy Cartwright—would codify a new set of rules that would form the basis for modern baseball, calling for a diamond-shaped infield, foul lines and the three-strike rule. He also abolished the dangerous practice of tagging runners by throwing balls at them.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2019, 10:52:52 PM »
More false news from Randy...  S?P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here