News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:27:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not flying related, but interesting anyway  (Read 898 times)

Offline Gary Dowler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Not flying related, but interesting anyway
« on: April 22, 2019, 01:49:32 AM »
My other hobby was, for many years, railroad. Both scale and full size.
Presently there is much excitement on the upcoming 150th anniversary celebration of the completion of the transcontinental railroad at Prometory Utah.  The Union Pacific has spent several million dollars and tens of thousands of man hours restoring to service one of the surviving examples of their famous Big Boy locomotives, which were considered to be the largest steam locomotives ever built. At 133' long and 1.25 million pounds, they were indeed huge.

Most later steam power was built on a one piece cast frame. In this, which could be 90' long, the entire cylinders, everything from frontvto back, was literally cast as a single piece. I doubt a foundry exists today that would try it.
In the pic, only a couple bars bolted below the 4 openings for the journal boxes for the main drive axels are not part of this casting. Other than these small pieces, this entire thing is cast as a single piece.

Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
Re: Not flying related, but interesting anyway
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 05:18:38 AM »
Direct TV channel 345 RFD TV on Monday afternoons about 4pm has a show about trains. mostly Steam but some diesel.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 10:09:51 AM »
Lionel Has a Big Boy 4 8 8 4 for the low low price of $899....if you can find one...very sought after working model
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 12:06:57 PM »
The Western terminus of the Transcontinental Railroad in 1869 was Alameda, California, leading to urbanization of the San Francisco Bay Area and inexorably to the building of the control line circle at Bill Osborne Field in Alameda. Lacking the railroad, there would today be no control line stunt in the Bay Area.

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 11:28:27 PM »
Mike,

Right on!  H^^  LL~

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Mike Danford

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 07:50:30 AM »
WOW!  I have taken a stab at pattern making and casting.  It's hard!  That would easily be the most biggest and complicated casting I could even imagine.  I thought some of the bigger and complicated water cooled engine blocks were amazing, but this... 

Just think of all the amazing mahogany to make that pattern.  Assuming it was that, many if not most were.

Now, the jigs and fixtures to machine it, another magnitude of WOW.

I agree, can't imagine who could undertake that nowadays.   

Mike

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 08:12:57 AM »
someone is still doing it..... I have seen you tube of giant diesel engines for some super cargo ships.... engine bigger than many houses....warehouses
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 08:43:51 AM »
That's a kettle o' metal...

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 08:47:29 AM »
Gary:

My interest in trains (North American primarily) predate my recollections. That is I CAN NOT remember when I wasn't fascinated by trains.  I'm a retired railroader now, but still heavily involved in the hobby of trains via model railroading and social networking.

My train interest is only approached/equaled by my other primary interest: Off/on road motocycling via "dual sport" motorcycles. I've been a motorcyclist for 50 years this year. Still riding and still loving it. (Went for an all-dayer yesterday.)

Control line was a distant 3rd in my interests. I will always like and appreciate C/L, vintage C/L combat in particular, but it never was anywhere near the priority in my life as was the above two primary interests.

I'm also a musician (bass guitarist), but that's a totally different affliction.  ;D

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here