News:

• April 16, 2024, 04:57:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not CL but fascinating to watch  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Not CL but fascinating to watch
« on: December 30, 2018, 10:54:49 AM »
Love to watch this.

Well after i posted this, I got the message it could not be embedded here but if you touch on the message it will take you to facebook to see the video.  If you do not use facebook you may not be able to see it. 

Mike

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
Re: Not CL but fascinating to watch
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 11:16:11 AM »
So slow and elegant. The opposite end of the spectrum from R-C sailplanes hitting 300-400 mph although that can be interesting to watch if you can see the plane. When they zoom past  close to the camera you can't see them but you do hear a short whump from the disturbed air. I don't know what mods outrageously fast ones have but they look to spindly to survive those speeds.

Offline Al Takatsch

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 11:24:29 AM »
I flew slope soaring when I lived in Maryland and absolutely loved it. No motor, no sound except for the air whistling over the wings. I wish we had hills in my part of NC to get back into it but I'll have to settle for RC sail boating on Monday with the guys.

Thank God I got a couple of control line buddies close by to enjoy stunt on the weekends.
Thanks for the memories.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 09:33:59 AM »
I see he has one that for some time.  I have not tried slope soaring.  It has always been high start,  winch and power pod.   It is great when the wind is right to get long relaxing flights. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 10:14:52 AM »
Doc, you should take a day this summer and drive out to Wilson Lake, about an hour west of Salina.  Pick a day with south or southwest winds.  One of the best slope sights in the Midwest.

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 02:42:46 PM »
All that fun, and with only two channels (rudder & elevator)!!!

Now I know why some people love slope soaring!

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 11:29:20 AM »
Doc, you should take a day this summer and drive out to Wilson Lake, about an hour west of Salina.  Pick a day with south or southwest winds.  One of the best slope sights in the Midwest.

Need to have a slope soarer. ???
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 03:57:32 PM »
Mike, do you know where this flying site is? Next to an ocean obviously, but whose? And about how old this video is? The model looks like a Goldberg FF from the 1930's but may be a modern design. No need for tip polyhedral, would make it hard to turn and too roll-stable.

I learned to fly RC with a series of fully-aerobatic slope soarers on the cliffs south of San Francisco with a constant howling onshore wind and monster lift, such that it was often hard to get the models to land at all. Not like this playful-acting soarer in the video!

Pretty high-quality video, apparently done with use of a photo quadcopter (avoiding use of dreaded D-word).

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 05:38:06 PM »
  I  have never been there, but want to guess that it's Torrey Pines in California. Just going from seeing lots of photos of the slope site going back many years. The model resembles a lot of things vintage, but not much wing span. They didn't slope soar R/C before the war! And not enough span for a good thermal ship, in my opinion. I'll guess that it is a "new" vintage design just for this purpose, hence the shorter wing span. I think it's designed to do just what you, sort of float and hover in the lighter winds.

Hey Bruce!
     Many don't know that I have flown many hours of R/C sailplanes with your dad, Alden Shipp years ago. He always had a great contest in Quincy, IL, and my son Sean was featured on the local news reports of those when he was 4 or so. I remember when Alden got interested in slope, and was searching the midwest for possible sites. I remember think back then, when he told me of that Kansas site, how in the heck can you have a slope in flat as a pancake Kansas???!! Sounded like an oxymoron! Didn't your Mom and dad move there for a while or at least had a house there just to slope fly? The old memory may not be working correctly tonight. Those were fun days!
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 08:22:47 AM »
Mike, do you know where this flying site is? Next to an ocean obviously, but whose? And about how old this video is? The model looks like a Goldberg FF from the 1930's but may be a modern design. No need for tip polyhedral, would make it hard to turn and too roll-stable.

I learned to fly RC with a series of fully-aerobatic slope soarers on the cliffs south of San Francisco with a constant howling onshore wind and monster lift, such that it was often hard to get the models to land at all. Not like this playful-acting soarer in the video!

Pretty high-quality video, apparently done with use of a photo quadcopter (avoiding use of dreaded D-word).

Mike I have no idea where this was.  I picked the video up off of a facebook flying site and thought I would share it.  Slope soaring is something I have never done but would love to try. 

Mike

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 09:34:30 AM »
Yes Dan, my folks had a small part time place in Lucas for a few years and then moved to a larger house full time for several years.  My mom fought some health issues (now resolved) that brought them back to Quincy about 10 years ago. Lots of fun times over the years on the hills overlooking Lake Wilson.

Dad has slowed considerably and does not fly much anymore. He still keeps his shop but does not build.  He has a couple of Radian electric motor gliders that he flies once or twice a year. 

Doc, literally any rc  glider will fly at Lake Wilson. It certainly does not need to be a slope soarer.  I always wanted to stand on top of that hill in a gale and wind fly a control line plane.   

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 01:57:58 PM »
My soaring planes use a tiny amount of gasoline to take them aloft. Now the FAA has restricted us to 400' where the good thermals are.

I am ashamed to say as close as I live to Wilson lake, I have not been there for flying. Guys come from all over the country to fly there.

I have had the Playboy up for over 45 minutes on a 30 second motor run. I finally had to bring it down. There is sometimes a plowed field right across from the R/C runway, and if I stay around 50' every time I get over that plowed ground I get enough lift to fly a circuit around the whole field for as long as I want.

It is a different kind of flying for sure, but loads of fun for me. Parly since it gives me a another way to fly my old ignition engines.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 02:18:28 PM by Jim Kraft »
Jim Kraft

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 06:35:02 PM »
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! That Playboy sure looks like the inspiration for the old-timey soarer in the video, along with the Valkyrie and other genuine old time FF beauties. RC assist is definitely the way to go for those of us who have seen the 70th birthday in the rear view mirror. You probably could soar that model here on the NorCal coast without using ANY gasoline!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 09:31:35 AM »
I guess I'm hard headed, but 400 foot limit, I think by the time the feds found out about and where I'm flying I could be done flying, loaded up and headed home.  Too bad we can't tell these minorities where to go put their head. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here