News:

• May 12, 2024, 02:18:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tucson tune up  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Mike Haverly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Tucson tune up
« on: February 26, 2016, 08:07:46 PM »
Well, a tune up for Pete Peterson.  I'll be staying home.

We finally got a four day break in the weather and we got to fly our new planes.  Pete fought with a FP for two days and switched to a more friendly Brodak .40  The new Jamison looks to be flying quite well.  Anybody that knows Pete knows that this is his fifth one, at least!  They are always gorgeous and fly great.  He should be a force at VSC.

In short, my new Chizler flies at least as well as my first one.  I got a pattern on my second flight.  It has a RoJett .40 and the best prop so far is a Thundertiger 11 x 4.5, 3 3/4 ounces of 10/18 Wildcat fuel.

Edit:  I can't even spell the city in Arizona correctly, I know I can't go.  Tucson
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 04:17:07 PM by Mike Haverly »
Mike

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Tuscon tune up
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 08:28:50 PM »
Gee, thanks for inviting me.   ???
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 08:35:13 PM »
Gee, Randy, some of us are retired and go whenever we want!  Seriously though, I can get away almost any time without much notice.  It's close for me, not for you. :)
Mike

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 10:47:45 PM »
Gee, Randy, some of us are retired and go whenever we want!  Seriously though, I can get away almost any time without much notice.  It's close for me, not for you. :)

Ya, I recall being there the first day of the Tucson Tune-Up. It wasn't on a weekend, whatever day it was. Tuesday?

Did Pete get his Jamison to turn equally inside vs. out? How? I suggested up thrust...also the B.40. And how is Mieko?   
 D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 01:34:51 PM »
Pete in fact did adjust engine thrust.  The bigger issue was getting a decent engine run.  The FP was horrible and he doesn't have much time to mess with it.  It looks a lot better now.

Mieko is doing better.  Some prescriptions have been changed.  There may have been some compatibility problems.  Diabetes is the biggest culprit.  The next thing is surgery for a deviated septum and a persistent dry cough.

We are going to have an exchange student from Japan, a 16 year old female.  Should be interesting in that we have a 16 year old grandson living with us. 
Mike

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 01:47:02 PM »
I was just wondering if anybody is flying today at Scobee Field. Grey sky, but calm, warm, and dry here.  ;D

Regarding the 16's, OMG! Yes, that should be interesting. Good luck with that!  y1 Steve
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 03:21:33 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Tucson tune up
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 05:05:33 PM »
Can we fly at Auburn? I didn't think it was available until April 1st.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 05:45:44 PM »
Where might one fly in Phoenix on the way to VSC?
Gord VT
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 06:02:16 PM »
Randy, the airport has been open for two weeks.  You should have gotten an email.  Anyway, now you know.  Call any time, today would have been fine.  We just now had a little rain.  Yesterday was nice but zero air. 
Mike

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 06:04:34 PM »
Gordon, contact Jim Hoffman in the Phoenix area.  There is a large group of flyers there.
Mike

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 10:58:53 PM »
Thanks Mike,
PM sent....
GordVT
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 11:11:26 PM »
MapQuest says you'll pass through Edmonton, Calgary, Salt Lake City, perhaps Las Vegas, and Phoenix. The first two will be up to the hips in sneaux, but any of the last three could work. However, folks arrive in Tucson weeks ahead of time to trim and practice, so you might as well keep the hammer down, if you aren't bored with cruising at 80+ mph.  n1 Steve 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here