News:

• May 04, 2024, 02:39:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Northwest Regionals pictures and first contest experience.  (Read 6153 times)

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Northwest Regionals pictures and first contest experience.
« on: June 01, 2018, 05:06:39 AM »
Rather than clog up the other NW regionals thread with my report, I thought I would start a new thread.

I was fortunate to be able to attend the 2018 Northwest Regionals in Roseberg Oregon.  I wasn't planning on attending until Gordan Delaney called me a few days before and asked if I would like to accompany him this year.  So, we thrashed for a couple days to got my as yet, un-flown, Gieseke Nobler ready to fly.  Engine installation, tank plumbing, copper vent/overflow tubing, machining a custom aluminum prop spacer, ect.  The weather didn't allow for a test flight prior to leaving, so we decided to just go for it.  Thursday, early AM we departed for Oregon.  I enjoyed the beautiful drive up from Utah through the meandering roads of southern Oregon. 

Friday morning, we made it over to the field before 8AM.  Many folks were there already waiting for the 8AM, engine-OK, to start practicing.  Before we even rolled out the lines, there were a lot of smiles and happy greetings.  Off to a great start!  Gordan asked to put up the first flights on my plane to check for wing position and all the normal first flight checks.  A simple flap tweak was all that was needed in that regard.  I then put up a pattern and agreed that it still felt tail heavy.  Scott Dinger provided some 5 min epoxy and in went .75oz of lead.  It felt much better, but still a bit spooky for my taste.  I bailed out during the clover and played it safe.  We took it back to the motel and added an additional .5oz which brought the overall weight up to 39oz which is still pretty fantastic for a Gieseke Nobler powered by a Brodak .40.

Gordy wasn't feeling well in the evening, so I went solo back to the flying site and found the Roseberg airport to be very busy with the field of expert fliers.  The wind was blowing quite steady and after my first flight in those conditions, I felt that I had ventured into something quite above my pay-grade.  Brett referred to the wind as "stunt heaven," which was an eye opener.  I never fly in winds like that.  I then received some great coaching from David Fitzgerald, Brett Buck and Howard Rush.  David gave me a great lesson on maneuver placement in the wind while we watched Brett Buck's flight.  It was very cool to hear David's explanation and then immediately see Brett's perfect execution of the principle right in front of us.  What a great opportunity it was to spend time flying and learning with world/national champs!  I found this to be very beneficial and I found all of them to be extremely open and welcoming to this new face in the community.  The wind slightly abated as the sun was getting lower.   I was about to leave when Howard Rush invited and encouraged me to roll the lines back out and continue practicing.  I am very glad that I did, as I gained some confidence flying in the winds.  During Howard's flights, I had the pleasure of speaking with Paul Walker and learning about the many iterations of the Impact family over the years.  Howard and I flew until it was nearly dark and then he kindly invited me to join he and his wife for dinner. 

Saturday morning I entered Classic and flew my first official contest flight.  I was a wreck with nerves!  Contests are much different from my usual casual flying at the park.  I made many simple rookie mistakes, ran out of fuel in the clover and got hit with an accompanying loss of pattern points on flight 1.  Flight 2 in Classic netted a 450 with no appearance points.  Not too shabby for only having flown this totally new plane a grand total of 8 flights at this point.  Now I had a reference point of what to expect from the contest flying experience.  Gordan elected to not risk flying his Bellanca in competition, as after 2 practice flights the rapidly expiring redhead McCoy 40 was barfing its black iron guts all over the wing. 

Sunday I entered advanced, feeling that the previous days score in classic was somewhere in that realm.  Paul and David were judging advanced and I was excited to be judged by two world champs.  I tried to implement some of David's wind placement lesson and Brett's vertical-8/hourglass advice from the previous day.  My big errors were again, bonehead rookie stuff.  I made a few lap counting errors which cost me points in both the manuver and the 25 pattern points and resulting in a 413 score.  Although I didn't score as well in advanced as I did in classic, I felt I probably flew the actual maneuvers superior to my previous day in Classic.  David gently ribbed me after my last flight and counselled by counting on his fingers...."learn to count...it goes, 1,2...3,4-5...6." I was embarrassed at missing such simple things, but not offended at all by any of the advice given.  I was there to learn and was humbled to have so many top level experts take time to watch any part of my flights when they had their own practice and contest prep to focus upon.

As I watched the field of 17 experts and 8 advanced fly their patterns in practice and in competition, I was able to see the vast difference between advanced level flying, lower level expert level flying and top level expert flying.  Brett also brought this point up during our conversations.  The top expert fliers are clearly much more more calm and patient, especially in the square maneuvers and are not panicked at all by wind changes or the asphalt.  They are all confident in their equipment and their years of experience is very evident.  These differences played out flight after flight of the advanced and expert fliers.  From standing there and watching 30+ or so expert flights over the weekend, I quickly identified many things in my own flying that must be changed immediately.

All of the experts put on a great and impressive show of skill over the weekend.  In an expert field populated with the deep talent level demonstrated by Paul, David, Brett, Howard, Chris Cox, Alan Resinger, Jim Aron and many others,  Paul's winning 611 performance with his new P-47 was impressive.  That plane, in Paul's hands, just rips through the corners and comes out flat as can be in the straight legs.  David and Brett are like machines out there as well.  Consistently great, every flight.   I wish I had filmed every flight of this notable expert bunch throughout the weekend, but contests are busy and it just wasn't possible. 

Overall, I had a rich contest weekend experience.  I had a great road trip with Gordan, who unfortunately was in terrible, constant pain throughout the entire weekend due to his broken jaw and sore feet.  I couldn't have made it there without his generosity and invitation.  Quite literally, every person I met was happy and a genuine pleasure to speak with.  I came away from the contest better for the effort, with constructive experience gained and with many new friends and acquaintances.   For all those folks who had friendly conversations with me, I thank you.  For all of those experts, I thank you for your patient counsel and good conversation, (Brett, Dave, Howard, Chris, ect).  You didn't have to spend any time with me, but you did, and it made a significant and positive impact upon my experience. 

Brent Williams.

Enjoy the pictures.

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
Re: Northwest Regionals pictures and first contest experience.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 05:48:07 AM »
Thank-you Brent for sharing your heart warming experience with us along with those brilliant photo's
Very inspiring .
There are so many people in the stunt world all too happy to share their knowledge and time, we just need to keep up the tradition and help other newcomers.

Reminds me of all the help I gratefully received as when I started flying in stunt contests back in the 1980's

Regards Gerald

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 07:38:21 AM »
Loved your POV report and wow...what a might fine looking contest.
So many works of art there.
Thankee.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 08:26:28 AM »
Great pictures. I saw you fly that pretty Nobler, looked good to me!   You inadvertently got photographic evidence of my being there. 13th pic from the bottom, shows the Aviation Suites building, last person in the very back is yours truly.  Was my first time at an event as well. Next year I'm flying.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 09:33:31 AM »
..."learn to count...it goes, 1,2...3,4-5...6."

I try not to count higher than three in a contest.  "takeoff, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2 (wingover) 1, 2" etc.  I know it leads to me concentrating harder on the inverted laps that are actually judged -- if you watch me fly you'll see slack off in the sixth lap of inverted, then getting back on track in the last half of the seventh to set up for the outside rounds.

It's a good idea to put an extra level lap in on takeoff and inverted.  Most importantly, because you may have lost count (or counted your takeoff lap as a level lap).  Less importantly, because the judges may have lost count -- although, generally the judging is perfect, so why be concerned about that?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 10:31:47 AM »
WOW! Gorgeous workmanship on every one of those airplanes!!

Thank you for taking the time to upload and share those with us!   H^^

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 11:20:24 AM »
Quite literally, every person I met was happy and a genuine pleasure to speak with.  I came away from the contest better for the effort, with constructive experience gained and with many new friends and acquaintances.   For all those folks who had friendly conversations with me, I thank you.  For all of those experts, I thank you for your patient counsel and good conversation, (Brett, Dave, Howard, Chris, ect).  You didn't have to spend any time with me, but you did, and it made a significant and positive impact upon my experience. 

That's the nice thing about this event, you get more-or-less the same thing at any stunt contest. No one is a big enough deal to stand aloof from the others. The rare exceptions are well known and get the reputation as pariahs very quickly. We are all doing the same thing, and the only difference is the skill level at which we are doing it.

Note also that most of what you hear discussed about stunt (always by non-players and/or outside observers) makes it seems like a snake pit, but now you can attest that this has *nothing* to do with reality.

Brett

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 11:38:10 AM »
Brett,

Thanks for taking the time and effort to provide an excellent report.

The photos were outstanding.

Cheers.

Warren Wagner
Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 11:38:53 AM »
... No one is a big enough deal to stand aloof from the others. ...

Except for me.  But the judges are biased against me, so until I figure out suitable bribes, I have to pretend.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 01:23:32 PM »
I rounded out the field. And had a great time.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline curtis williams

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 01:46:18 PM »
Nice to see a picture of Burt Brokaw!  I miss hand launching combat planes with him.  He always was fun to be around. Good memories.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 04:27:13 PM »
Great report of your adventure.  Yes those guys are great and in the stunt it seems like no matter where I went the stunt guys and gals are about the same.  Most I know from past Nationals and VSC plus other contests I have been fortunate enough to attend.  Now you know what it is like and you have lots of room for improvement.   Now what is this about Gordie's jaw? ???
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 03:24:05 PM »
Great report of your adventure.  ....  Now what is this about Gordie's jaw? ???

Gordan had his wisdom teeth pulled 7 or 8 weeks ago.  The dentist inadvertently fractured his jaw in the process.  He endured this fractured jaw for a month before the dentist realized that it was fractured and then wired it shut.  The dentist clipped the wire a few days before the contest, but it has still left Gordan in awful chronic pain while his jaw mends and on a soft/liquid diet regimen.  Pretty tough ordeal for him to go through.  It has not been easy for/on him.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Alexey Gorbunov

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 04:19:23 PM »
He endured this fractured jaw for a month before the dentist realized that it was fractured and then wired it shut.  The dentist clipped the wire a few days before the contest, but it has still left Gordan in awful chronic pain while his jaw mends and on a soft/liquid diet regimen.  Pretty tough ordeal for him to go through.  It has not been easy for/on him.
My dentist in the Russia for such things would have already lost his license and would have cleaned the streets.
I very much sympathize with Gordan and wish him well.

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 05:33:14 PM »
     That's the nice thing about this event, you get more-or-less the same thing at any stunt contest. No one is a big enough deal to stand aloof from the others. The rare exceptions are well known and get the reputation as pariahs very quickly. We are all doing the same thing, and the only difference is the skill level at which we are doing it.

Note also that most of what you hear discussed about stunt (always by non-players and/or outside observers) makes it seems like a snake pit, but now you can attest that this has *nothing* to do with reality.

Brett
And Brett will never sing his own praises, but, without his help and that of Uncle Jimby and Larry Fernandez, I would not be up to a standard to compete.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 05:58:02 PM »
I rounded out the field. And had a great time.

Gee,  I wonder which one of those planes belonged to Randy.  hmmmmmm.

You can sure put 'em together and paint 'em.  Pretty fast crowd you're dealing with there but there's just something about a Randy...

Ted

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 06:06:27 PM »
Brent,

Thanks so much for the great report, the paean to some fine and friendly competitors and, most especially, the fantastic pictures.  I'm also thrilled to finally find out what you look like.  What kinda handle you usin'?  Oh, never mind <= <= <= <=

Please  give Gordan a hug for me and one for Shareen but, please, no kisses until the jaw heals.  Yike, what an ordeal. If I was him I still would of come too if for no other reason than to show off the Bellanca.  The upholstery alone is worth 20 points.

Ted

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 07:12:15 PM »
Thanks for sharing the excellent report and photos!.....PhillySkip

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2018, 07:18:53 PM »
Thanks guys!  Here are a few videos.  I included one of myself flying in classic.   (don't judge too harshly...Haha.)

Gordan, Brett and David's flights are great, however. 

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2018, 08:21:19 PM »
So where were you, BYU?

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2018, 10:02:19 PM »
So where were you, BYU?

Hi Paul, if you're referring to me, I'm 80 miles north of Provo, up in Ogden.  It was a real treat meeting you and seeing you fly.

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 10:36:09 PM »
BYU= Bob's Your Uncle

He said he was coming, but chickened out!😊😖

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 11:00:57 PM »
BYU= Bob's Your Uncle

He said he was coming, but chickened out!😊😖

BYU = Not Ready For Prime Time! Story I got is that the LarryKote peeled off his plane.  ;) Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2018, 02:09:25 PM »
This year I merely "spectated".  It's so much better than flying because i didn't have to worry about my engine run, or my plane's trim problems.  I saw some magnificent flying, and now I'm primed to practice more.  Maybe next year?
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2018, 05:19:39 PM »
Brent, for your first big time contest I think you did well.   Gordon's flight showed he wasn't feeling well.   I didn't watch the others as they are the best at what they do.  I often wonder what little mistakes they make to get the scores they do.   My self I don't practice enough.    H^^

By the way, get a tripod for the camera. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2018, 05:20:58 PM »
The "Elites" scared me off with horror stories about the weather.

Oh, Brett and David eh. They told you about their drive up there!

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2018, 07:44:22 PM »
A nice write up and very nice pictures Brent.  For what it’s worth, if we had a Top Rookie award, you would have won it hands down.  For a first contest, you did great!  With Gordie’s help, even bigger and better things are in your future!

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2018, 07:54:25 PM »
A nice write up and very nice pictures Brent.  For what it’s worth, if we had a Top Rookie award, you would have won it hands down.  For a first contest, you did great!  With Gordie’s help, even bigger and better things are in your future!

Yes.  I took a video for Brent, either the one he posted or a practice flight.  It was more than good enough to get him kicked out of Intermediate.

Brent, you're a bit handicapped by lack of contest experience -- usually you learn engine management at the same time you're struggling with the pattern in Intermediate.  But you're doing just fine, and I hope we see you at the Regionals again.
AMA 64232

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2018, 08:15:43 PM »

Great story and thanks for all the great pics! What's the scoop on the "Rare Bear" Bearcat model and who is the builder? Modified from an existing design? Power?

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2018, 08:31:34 PM »
Oh, Brett and David eh. They told you about their drive up there!

I didn't, but I would have told him to come anyway. There's only one way to learn how to fly in contests, and that is to fly in contests. If nothing else, 1 competition flight is worth about 1000 practice flights.

Brett

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2018, 08:44:59 AM »
Modified from an existing design?
[/quote]

Why throw that slur/insult out there?

Why not ask "Who designed it"?  You will get a better response that way instead of insulting them.

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2018, 08:58:10 AM »
Modified from an existing design?

Why throw that slur/insult out there?

That's an insult?  I think that ever since the second big-brained monkey whacked one rock against another to get a sharp edge, humanity's best work has been modifications of existing designs.
AMA 64232

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2018, 09:42:33 AM »

That's an insult? 
[/quote]

It all about being POLITE, which most have forgotten how to do.
Why ASSUME it was copied/modified?
Just be polite and ask who designed it.

I KNOW  someone spent a lot of time lofting the fuselage, and making the mold. There are other design parameters that were incorporated into that design.

However, if someone wants to be adversarial, they can ask if it was modified. That would do it.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2018, 10:30:39 AM »
That has to be the same plane on the cover of Stunt News with the article on how it is done.  Great reading on doing molded fuselages and every thing in line, 0-0-0. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2018, 11:41:51 AM »
AN OBSERVATION.  Some of the planes entered in the NWR don't seem to have any identification.  doesn't AMA require an AMA number in 1" or larger numbers?  If this is no longer a requirement, I can save time by skipping the numbers on my next plane.

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2018, 12:06:46 PM »
AN OBSERVATION.  Some of the planes entered in the NWR don't seem to have any identification.  doesn't AMA require an AMA number in 1" or larger numbers?  If this is no longer a requirement, I can save time by skipping the numbers on my next plane.

Brent's plane doesn't have ID on it.  I was going to hand him a felt-tip pen and give him a fishy-eyed stare, but then I'd have to go scrawl my AMA number on a Valuable Piece of History.

Some of the others have very low-contrast AMA numbers -- I know Paul Walker's does, and I think Tom Brightbill's Tucker has it.  If you read the rulz, it says you have to have the numbers on there and how big they have to be, but it doesn't say anything about how much they need to contrast with their surroundings.  As far as I know Tom did this first, but I don't know if other folks picked it up from him or discovered it independently.  For that matter, Tom may not have been the first.  So don't blame him.

Come to think of it, I could get some un-yellowed white, or polar gray, or pearlescent white, and put my AMA number on the Atlantis -- because I don't think there's a rule against having two different AMA numbers on the same plane, either, or that they have to be at the same level of contrast.

In general, I don't think it's a rule that's heavily enforced, particularly for loaner planes or ones that have already had careers in other hands and then been re-owned.
AMA 64232

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2018, 12:09:15 PM »

It is still a requirement and by the time EXP/ADV appearance judging rolled around, there was only one airplane with no numbers, which David and I got the owner to correct. David and Joan did the Classic appearance judging and I know that they are fully aware of the rule.

Some of the pictures appear to be from practice, at which it is just a safety code issue, not a competition issue.

Brett

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2018, 12:20:28 PM »
Brent's plane doesn't have ID on it.  I was going to hand him a felt-tip pen and give him a fishy-eyed stare, but then I'd have to go scrawl my AMA number on a Valuable Piece of History.

Yes, my plane was sans AMA identification. 
Reason for lack of identification:  I am a brand new AMA member. 
Meaning, I paid my $75.00 and joined the AMA at the registration table of the 2018 North West Regionals. 

I hope to have my AMA packet soon so I can know my own identification info. 
I think my name is Brent, but I can't be sure....I'll patiently wait for the AMA packet to confirm my identity.  ;)

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2018, 12:44:12 PM »
I think my name is Brent, but I can't be sure....I'll patiently wait for the AMA packet to confirm my identity.  ;)

My fingers keep wanting to call you Brett.  So far I'm managing.  I think.
AMA 64232

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2018, 01:29:36 PM »

Very keen eye there Floyd!

You could have joined the warbird frenzy wirh one of your nice warbirds.

Offline johnt4051

• Commander
    • Flying Lines
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2018, 03:26:04 PM »
FYI, the report on flyinglines.org is now pretty much complete, with updates and lots of photos.

--jt

John Thompson
Flying Lines

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2018, 03:59:41 PM »
AN OBSERVATION.  Some of the planes entered in the NWR don't seem to have any identification.  doesn't AMA require an AMA number in 1" or larger numbers? 

PW and Chris's AMA numbers were there, displayed in full, compliant size out there on the starboard(right) wing panels.  Chris's is on the right flap and Paul's is on the right wing  You just have to look carefully to see how cleverly they incorporated their AMA numbers into the paint scheme.  It's hard to see them in the original photos and even with a bunch of photo manipulation, it's still hard to see Paul's numbers in the picture.  Very awesome work! 

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2018, 04:43:50 PM »
The rules state: "All models shall be identified by the contestant’s AMA license number permanently affixed to the upper side of the right-hand lifting surface or to each side of the fuselage or vertical stabilizer. The height of numerals shall be at least one (1) inch (25.4 mm). Both stroke and width shall be such to enable ready recognition. It is suggested that the letters USA (25mm [1 inch] or higher) be placed at least once on the model."

IMO, some models do not meet the requirement, as the rule states, "to enable ready recogniton". If you can't read it in a close-up picture, it doesn't seem to meet the requirement. NOT awesome! y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2018, 05:02:13 PM »
Standing there in person, the numbers do show up a quite a bit more clearly.  Paul's plane in particular, the requisite AMA numbers are impossible to miss on the rudder.  No questioning that.  Chris's numbers are quite apparent in person, also.  Clearly displayed on the flap. 

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2018, 05:31:33 PM »
Whether it’s in the movie industry or a control line stunt contest, one of THEE MOST beneficial endeavors is having the “Stars” come out to participate. It may not even be necessary to compete or even fly. An act as simple as launching “Joe Bellcranks” or a newbies plane, or maybe offering some sage advice acquired over many years of experience, may have benefits long past the initial one. A lot of our top flyers are getting older and retiring but, hopefully they understand how important they still are to the hobby, and how much value they bring to our events large and small.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2018, 05:36:33 PM »
PW and Chris's AMA numbers were there, displayed in full, compliant size out there on the starboard(right) wing panels.  Chris's is on the right flap and Paul's is on the right wing  You just have to look carefully to see how cleverly they incorporated their AMA numbers into the paint scheme.  It's hard to see them in the original photos and even with a bunch of photo manipulation, it's still hard to see Paul's numbers in the picture.  Very awesome work! 

The checkerboard on the tail of Paul's plane is subtle and stunning. Love it.

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2018, 05:39:14 PM »
i got dinged one time for having my numbers displayed in "katakana", that is Japanese numbers.  The rules Nazis need to lighten up a little.  I added numerals to the airplane to appease the offended.  The USA part is rarely observed although I have done it several times and was never acknowledged either way.  By the way, Chris doesn't have AMA numbers, he is from Canada.
Mike

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2018, 05:46:18 PM »
Come to think of it, I could get some un-yellowed white, or polar gray, or pearlescent white, and put my AMA number on the Atlantis -- because I don't think there's a rule against having two different AMA numbers on the same plane, either, or that they have to be at the same level of contrast.

I could make a new set of number stencils for the Atlantis, if you want. I made the originals about thirty years ago ... ::)

One of many reasons why it's always a trip for me to see that particular plane.

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2018, 06:28:00 PM »
I could make a new set of number stencils for the Atlantis, if you want. I made the originals about thirty years ago ... ::)

One of many reasons why it's always a trip for me to see that particular plane.

Lemme think about that.  The vertical stab is Monocoat, and probably not worth refinishing.  I'm thinking I'll cut my AMA number out of Monocoat for that, and call it good.
AMA 64232

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2018, 08:21:45 PM »
That's an insult? 

I KNOW  someone spent a lot of time lofting the fuselage, and making the mold. There are other design parameters that were incorporated into that design.

However, if someone wants to be adversarial, they can ask if it was modified. That would do it.

I don't think Wayne was intending to insult anyone. Wayne is quite knowledgeable on the subject of airplanes, big and small. The Rare Bear air racer was modified from a stock F8F Bearcat. There has never been a specific C/L stunt model of Rare Bear published, as far as I know, but there have been a few F8F plans published ( Al Rabe's for one) and Brodak's kit. To build a Rare Bear racer from any of those would require some modifications.  Kind of hard to tell from one photograph if it was a scratch built model.I'm sure that's why the question, was it modified from an existing design. And he did inquire who the builder was. All are fair and respectful questions,  I think.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2018, 09:47:42 PM »
That's an insult? 

Wow, sorry I asked.

Actually, if we really want to nitpick things to that point, I consider this response to my simple questions an assumptive and impolite insult. Maybe it would have been POLITE to simply answer the questions? There was no real assumption either way, just a couple of very simple questions. Sorry, not all of us bottom feeders (as we're constantly reminded of being) live in the holier than thou Disneyland of the Northwestern U.S. that is apparently the Stunt God land of absolute and all knowing perfection. Jeez, some of these guys could really stand to lighten up.  D>K

And Dan, thank you for clarifying my "insulting" query.

Wayne Willey

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2018, 10:51:21 PM »
    I don't think Wayne was intending to insult anyone. Wayne is quite knowledgeable on the subject of airplanes, big and small. The Rare Bear air racer was modified from a stock F8F Bearcat. There has never been a specific C/L stunt model of Rare Bear published, as far as I know, but there have been a few F8F plans published

Dave Cooks . Saw a picture I think od it the other day somewhere , Like Here ! ? .

https://www.apuca.com.ar/Planos/planosind.htm

Ah , THAT Picture . Small World .  :-X

Almost nearly , but Not Quite . Not Quite at all , evedently , So I guess Thats NOT Dave Cook Either .

Inclined to do the Conquest 1 , N1111L . Got It On Paper , Derivative of Als 68 ? one , Moulded Fuse tho . ( If anyones stuck ) .

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2018, 11:04:52 PM »
Actually not close at all.  Here's another one, mine, almost ready to go.  Life got in the way of it being ready for NW Regional.  Alan Resinger and Pat Johnston name's were on the plans that I used. 
Mike

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2018, 07:00:25 AM »
The Rare Bear is mine.  It is an original design with a little input from Pat Johnston.  Paul, Chris Cox and I got together a little over two years ago to test some theories we had about inline designs.  Paul's P-47 last year was the result.  Chris and I  waited a year to build in lines as we had already started our 2017 designs.  The Rare Bear and Chris's Hellcat use a modified Geo-Bolt wing.  His model is based on Kaz Minato's Hellcat.  I started with some drawings Pat sent me years ago.  I did use his fin and rudder assembly and the basic stab and elevator although the size was modified.  I had to completely design the fuselage to the numbers our design work had produced.  My flaps are larger due to increased weight I anticipated due to having to build three wings to get a keeper and using all my prime balsa in the endeavour.
Power is an AXI 2826 with Igor's timer wIth accelerometer and a Jetti ESC.  Power is a Thunxder Power 6S 2800 battery.  Weight is 68.5 ounces.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:03:09 AM by Alan Resinger »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2018, 09:07:04 PM »
Yes , It IS You , apparently .

From ' Flying Lines ' .
Alan Resinger of Delta, B.C., produced another beautiful plane for Precision Aerobatics in 2018, following the recent trend of the semi-scale warbird style. The Rare Bear is powered by an AXI electric motor, Jeti Spin 66 ESC, Igor timer and 12x5.5 prop with an Ark spinner and a Thunder Power 6s 2800 battery. Alan Resinger photo.

Far Out ! .  H^^

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2018, 09:54:30 PM »

Two VERY COOL models! I'm surprised it took so long for someone to tackle a Rear Bear project, now there's TWO!

Ever since Rod Lewis unveiled it I've always thought that the full scale 'Bear's current paint scheme just begs for a stunt model. Alan's rendition really does it justice. Does it have the "Rare Bear" graphic on the bottom of the wing? The earlier purple/gold scheme was great too, can't wait to see finished pics of Mike's version.  The overall design work is kind of what I was expecting to hear, great job guys and thanks for the info.

Wayne Willey

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2018, 10:58:08 PM »
To answer your question.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2018, 03:31:05 PM »
To answer your question.

No wonder it flies backward, Alan.  You made the leadouts come out of the wrong wing!.  Reminds me of when Gary McClellan put the tank in his new Nobler bass-ackward because he was assembling the parts upside down on the workbench.  At least he corrected it before flying, however, thanks to a sharper eyed interloper.    VD~ VD~

Ted

p.s.  Beautiful airplane for a golfer.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2018, 09:29:50 PM »
To answer your question.

Very nice Alan, you've nailed it!  y1
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 09:57:47 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2018, 10:23:30 AM »
I was not trying to harass anyone regarding the requirement for AMA Number on the plane.  It was merely an "observation", and not a complaint.

The requirement isn't really all that necessary.  An entrant's name & number are first registered upon contest entry.  C/L planes aren't likely to become lost, and requiring I.D. for return, as free flight models are. 

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2018, 07:23:26 PM »
I was not trying to harass anyone regarding the requirement for AMA Number on the plane.  It was merely an "observation", and not a complaint.

The requirement isn't really all that necessary.  An entrant's name & number are first registered upon contest entry.  C/L planes aren't likely to become lost, and requiring I.D. for return, as free flight models are.

Since I was the one with the AMA number in question, it didn't bother me at all Floyd. You are right, it was just an observation!

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2018, 08:47:03 AM »
For years I have been wondering why the planes shown in MA concerning the pictures of planes that are sent in by AMA members in don't seem to have the AMA numbers on the planes. One would think that the lack of AMA numbers just might cause the editors of MA to note that. Check out any MA issue over the past 10 years and you will find only a few with observable numbers. One could determine that the AMA really doesn't follow its own rules.
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2018, 10:33:43 AM »
For years I have been wondering why the planes shown in MA concerning the pictures of planes that are sent in by AMA members in don't seem to have the AMA numbers on the planes. One would think that the lack of AMA numbers just might cause the editors of MA to note that. Check out any MA issue over the past 10 years and you will find only a few with observable numbers. One could determine that the AMA really doesn't follow its own rules.
Joe

The requirement to show a visible AMA number is only for certain competition events, not for sport modeling. The safety code only requires that the number be in or on the model somewhere. So a typewritten slip of paper in the tank compartment (or any other place you can't see) is sufficient. You and I both know that they probably haven't done that, either, but you can't tell by looking at a picture.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here