News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:28:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nobler ARF  (Read 2089 times)

Offline William Fann

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Nobler ARF
« on: October 27, 2022, 12:04:04 PM »
Hope I have the appropriate forum.  I need a cowl for the ARF Nobler.  Also, what is the color and make of its covering?

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Nobler ARF
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 01:18:31 PM »
Hope I have the appropriate forum.  I need a cowl for the ARF Nobler.  Also, what is the color and make of its covering?
I can't help with the cowl (probably better off to redo the entire nose and forget the cowl), but the covering is either MonoKote or an exact color match Chinese rip-off.  In either case it is Insignia Blue.  I had to make several repairs on mine and the Monokote was an exact match.

Ken

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Gary Mondry

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2022, 06:19:47 PM »
I’m not looking to start an argument but, according to page 4 of the Nobler ARF instruction book, “The Top Flite Control Line Nobler ARF is factory covered with Top Flite Monocote Sapphire blue film (6’ roll - TOPQ0226)”. I bought a roll back when I bought my ARF in anticipation of future mishaps. They also sold Lustercoat in that color for a while.
AMA 10663

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2022, 06:53:52 PM »
I’m not looking to start an argument but, according to page 4 of the Nobler ARF instruction book, “The Top Flite Control Line Nobler ARF is factory covered with Top Flite Monocote Sapphire blue film (6’ roll - TOPQ0226)”. I bought a roll back when I bought my ARF in anticipation of future mishaps. They also sold Lustercoat in that color for a while.
But you did end one!  You are right.  The roll I bought to match mine was opened at the LHS and has Insignia blue written on some tape.  I just opened a pix of my Nobler ARF (RIP) and matched it to Sapphire Blue on the Web.  My apologies and I would add those of the LHS, but they are out of business.

ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline John Gluth

• Ensign
  • Knight 1992
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2022, 09:35:50 AM »

So craft a cowl.
Good answers come only from asking the right questions.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 10:38:00 AM »
* Deleted Duplicate *
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 11:12:57 AM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2022, 10:53:08 AM »
At least one of George's Noblurs (as he sometimes spelled it) had the entire nose painted white, apparently after a serious crash/repair. I know, I know, it's hard to imagine GMA crashing, but stuff happens to everybody, Stunt God or not. The point here is that if you need to replace the cowl or rebuild the nose, there are options in a spray can.

I hope that everybody replaces the entire control system in their ARF Noblers, because every part in them is junk. Much too quick, as well as prone to early failures.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2022, 06:01:59 PM »

I hope that everybody replaces the entire control system in their ARF Noblers, because every part in them is junk. Much too quick, as well as prone to early failures.  D>K Steve

Mine is still in the box because I'm not ready for it.  I've done a search and read multiple posts talking about changing out this and that on the Nobler ARF.  Did anyone make up a definitive update sheet or post on everything to change out that I'm not finding with a search?

Mark

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2022, 06:32:49 PM »
Mine is still in the box because I'm not ready for it.  I've done a search and read multiple posts talking about changing out this and that on the Nobler ARF.  Did anyone make up a definitive update sheet or post on everything to change out that I'm not finding with a search?

Mark

I don't know if there is a specific list, but safe to say that replacing the entire control system is beneficial. The nose needs some re-enforcing also. I think the only reason this kit was popular was because it was the Nobler. When you add up all it's short comings, it's hardly worth the effort and you might as well build one from a Top Flite kit or from plans. I have been working with two I have had hanging in the garage for 20 years, and once all the upgrades are done, it does fly pretty well. It might not be a world beater but enjoyable to fly if the mods are done correctly.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Rick Campbell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2022, 10:50:00 AM »
Should you elect to rebuild the nose instead of replacing the stock cowl, it's really not too big a deal. This is how I did it.

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2022, 11:04:19 AM »

Nicely done!

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2022, 07:21:36 PM »
Nicely done!

Yes! And easier yet if done before 1st assembly & flights.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags: cowl 

Advertise Here