News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:37:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Twister build  (Read 910 times)

Offline John Watson

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
New Twister build
« on: August 13, 2018, 09:33:30 AM »
Finished a Twister and flew for the first time today. Built to plans .Flying level the inboard wing is back from center line and the outboard wing is forward of centerline. Do I move leadouts aft or forward ? When I go into a wing over the lines slack up at overhead.

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
Re: New Twister build
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 11:37:28 AM »
More info is needed.  Lap time, type of power, length of lines. etc.  From the limited info the lead outs need to go back.
Mike

Offline John Watson

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 11:48:19 AM »
I didn't time the laps 60 foot lines EVO 36 with a 10-6 prop. I just noticed that the inboard wing was not parallel with the lines it was aft of center..The plane was level but when I went overhead it came in and slacked the lines

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 12:20:30 PM »
Finished a Twister and flew for the first time today. Built to plans .Flying level the inboard wing is back from center line and the outboard wing is forward of centerline. Do I move leadouts aft or forward ? When I go into a wing over the lines slack up at overhead.

Aft, probably, but how is the rudder set?  Usually, that is what drives it the yaw angle.

The leadouts should be about 3/4"-1" behind the CG to start with, assuming everything else is about normal.

Just to be sure, you should probably have .015x60' lines, and be running about 5 second laps to be safe.

Brett

Offline John Watson

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 12:58:00 PM »
Thanks I will make some adjustments and try again tomorrow ……………..yaw that's what I was trying to think of...……..

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 02:35:34 PM »
Thanks I will make some adjustments and try again tomorrow ……………..yaw that's what I was trying to think of...……..

Before that, could you maybe give us a bit more on the current airplane setup? Leadouts position (with respect to the CG), the rudder offset, line diameter and length, speed/lap times?  Without us seeing it, there could be a bunch of different issues causing the same sorts of problems that we wouldn't know about.

Brett

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 07:28:38 PM »
Definitely do what Brett told you to do, then take the airplane and suspend it from the lead outs.  Notice the angle it hangs at.  It must be with the fuselage angled down slightly toward the nose, at least 1/2 inch from level to begin with (maybe more).  If it isn't, do whatever is necessary to make it that way.  Make sure the GC is at least very close to what is specified on the plans, but with that engine I would assume it is likely nose heavy.  You can simply add weight to the nose or tail of the fuselage to get the CG where it belongs.  Modeling clay works until you get it right then weigh the clay and bury that weight of lead in the fuselage.  If the CG is where it is supposed to be and the airplane doesn't hang as I specified it's time to move the lead outs until it does...Simple enough!

Randy Cuberly 
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 08:32:06 PM »
Hang it from the leadouts in your living room. Is it yawed in, out or neutral?  If the wing doesn't hang vertically then you may have incorrectly placed leadouts. If it does, then it could be rudder or lines or something else. Pictures would help if possible.
I'm certainly no expert, but this simple thing is where I would start.
Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 08:43:58 PM »
Hang it from the leadouts in your living room. Is it yawed in, out or neutral?  If the wing doesn't hang vertically then you may have incorrectly placed leadouts. If it does, then it could be rudder or lines or something else. Pictures would help if possible.
I'm certainly no expert, but this simple thing is where I would start.
Gary

It wants to hang a bit nose down.  If you watch your lines in flight you'll see that they're bowed back, from wind resistance.  You want the plane flying straight even as the lines come out a bit to the rear.

... The leadouts should be about 3/4"-1" behind the CG to start with, assuming everything else is about normal. ...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 08:58:46 PM »
Doesn't anyone read what has been written before , before they write an answer?  Whew!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here