News:

• May 01, 2024, 07:28:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PJ's VG's  (Read 707 times)

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
PJ's VG's
« on: March 02, 2015, 10:49:51 PM »
I've always wondered why PJ Roland's vortex generator arrangement seemed to be able to work with only as few as two vg's per wing panel.  Typically on full scale you see a whole row of numerous vg's strung out along the surface.  The following article,    http://www.stolspeed.com/id/8 describes a "rip stop" effect by vg's.  It seems that as a stall starts and begins to spread, if it runs into the vortex it can be "killed" or deterred.  The vortex acts like a "rip stop" thread in cloth.  As PJ has said that he can feel no benefit from extra vg's.  (I think that's a correct statement).  So ... more may not be better.  Interesting.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: PJ's VG's
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 11:45:05 PM »
That's interesting.  It shows again that trial and error is the way to go, especially on fancy stuff like boundary layer physics.

I started with an inboard pair , then added two more pairs per side (on both top and bottom, both left and right) when I thought I could feel a little improvement with each.  I guess I should try just an outboard pair, then work my way inboard.  I'd reckon that our wings start stalling near the tips. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
Re: PJ's VG's
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 01:20:27 AM »
I just went with what I could feel.

I could certainly feel effects with them closer.. than further out.

When using the Tips only approach - say 12" from Tip inwards, the effect I was looking for seemed elusive.

Switching to the current configuration - out of the prop wash but closer toward the Fuse than the outter tips seemed to give me the results I was looking for.

As little as 2 did the trick.. but since then, and under the suggestions of Dave Fitzgerald and Howard Rush, I did add an additional 1 Pair ( for a total of 4 on each surface. ) Still spaced even.

I could notice improvement - but only in marginal circumstances over many flights. I confessed that if your looking to expand the envelope of performance the extra pair do help.

As for the Stab - I'm not convinced they help in ANY WAY AT ALL !!!

but thats just me..

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here