News:

• May 05, 2024, 12:28:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Buddy's Corsair  (Read 3474 times)

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
My Buddy's Corsair
« on: August 09, 2015, 06:50:29 PM »
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: My Buddy's Corsair
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 07:09:12 PM »
Nice looking scale model.  Those touch-and-go maneuvers are tough!
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 09:39:22 PM »

Nice! Great video too!.  y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 10:06:57 PM »
Nice looking airplane!  Kit or plans, engine?

Brings back fond memories of a scale F4U I had in the '70s - probably smaller, with an OS 35 RC engine up front.  Touch and goes were great fun, and it had plenty of power to do several consecutive loops, though I much preferred flying over a hard surface of some form.

(Is it just my imagination, or is freshly-cut grass much longer these days?  It sure is getting hard to find grass sites which allow for smooth takeoffs and landings ...)

Thanks Mike!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 10:56:59 PM »
Very nice.

It looks like a nicely balanced scale plane!

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 07:40:28 AM »
Not a kit and not scratch built. It is an R/C  Hangar 9 Warbird Series .60 ARF.  Steve has converted the Corsair, Thunderbolt, Warhawk, and the Mustang to throttled CL planes. We do some 2 up flying with them and it is very fun. With the throttles we can line them up one on top of the other for some cool formation flying. He has even converted the 1.20 sized Mustang to CL. Very neat to see that giant in the air!
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 07:53:25 AM »
    WOW!!!

That was great! What a fine looking and flying plane.

I have a Sterling Corsair that is not anywhere that well done.  I am looking for a scale prop and spinner to dress it up a bit.  The engine is a McCoy .35.  Any suggestions as to where I may purchase a scale 3 bladed prop and a spinner nut that I may turn down to resemble the Corsair prop hub?

Oh yes, grass seems to be the norm as pavement is a thing of the past where I fly. I am working on a hay field that I have permission to use. Lol

Good luck,

Frank McCune

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 03:04:34 PM »
Not a kit and not scratch built. It is an R/C  Hangar 9 Warbird Series .60 ARF.  Steve has converted the Corsair, Thunderbolt, Warhawk, and the Mustang to throttled CL planes. We do some 2 up flying with them and it is very fun. With the throttles we can line them up one on top of the other for some cool formation flying. He has even converted the 1.20 sized Mustang to CL. Very neat to see that giant in the air!

Mike, can you (with your friend's help) provide some detail on the bellcrank installation and so forth?

I have an ARF Decathlon (.60 size) that I'd like to convert for sport flying, with an OS .70 Surpass up front ...

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 03:33:42 PM »
Well basically he puts a heavy duty platform in the fuse where the servo tray would be located, and mounts the bellcrank like you would in any other CL plane. He uses Brodak 3 line bellcranks for use with a Roberts 3 line handle. Then he installs a leadout guide at the tip, some are adjustable some are not. He uses solids for leadouts. All of his planes have the leadouts outside of the wing. He does this so he does not have to cut into the wing. Of course you balance and trim it to fly properly like any other plane. I will ask him for pics, it may take some time though.

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 03:52:02 PM »
Well basically he puts a heavy duty platform in the fuse where the servo tray would be located, and mounts the bellcrank like you would in any other CL plane. He uses Brodak 3 line bellcranks for use with a Roberts 3 line handle. Then he installs a leadout guide at the tip, some are adjustable some are not. He uses solids for leadouts. All of his planes have the leadouts outside of the wing. He does this so he does not have to cut into the wing. Of course you balance and trim it to fly properly like any other plane. I will ask him for pics, it may take some time though.

Thanks Mike!  Sure sounds like fun to me.

Dennis

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here