News:

• May 09, 2024, 09:34:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hanging my planes  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Rick Bollinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • AMA 931589
Hanging my planes
« on: April 20, 2012, 08:32:40 PM »
Thinking about hanging my planes on two 3/4 dowels with foam sleeves by the horz. stab nose down. But I am concerned about distorting the stab in time. Is this acceptable or will it cause damage in time ?

Thanks Rick                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Rick Bollinger
AMA 931589

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Hanging my planes
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 08:42:15 PM »
I hang mine from the nose. So far so good. Can loop wire around the prop. I use an electric starter and fit cone shaped prop nuts. They have a hole through them to fit 1/8" wire for tightening. Easy enough to run wire through the hole. Some of my planes have hung that way for years. The wings have stayed straight. All the planes have built up wings. Gravity pulls, no matter which way the planes hang. Even resting planes on landing gear, over the years, could, I guess, warp something. More of a problem with build up wings are, I believe the normal fluctuations in temperature, humidity and air pressure. I wouldn't hang a plane from the stab, tho. Especially a balsa stab. Warps.

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 08:44:41 AM »
I like to hang them prop down. Oil flows toward the nose.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 09:35:57 AM »
I too like to hang mine nose down but due to wall space I have to stagger the wings.
I put a soft nylon strap around stab and rudder so that the strap goes over the fuse like some folks use when using a strap for a stooge.
The ones that hang nose up, I loop a cord around the landing gear and let them hang by the gear.
Here is a old photo of how I hang my planes. As you can see I even hung a few by the lead outs.
I think if you have the room that hanging by the lead outs might be the best way.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 10:35:37 AM »
All piped ships hang nose up from the landing gear. (Let the pipes drain...) The rest hang nose down from the tail wheel/skid as required. Yup, some by the leadouts too! Gotta squeeze 'em in somehow...

Ward
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 10:38:20 AM »
Hang mine by the leadouts from hooks in the ceiling rafters. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 12:16:13 PM »
I made a rack that mounts in the gable. Store's 4 planes by plane sliding in by the wing and a bar across the nose. Another one in the other gable has 2 slots and I keep the current weapons in it. I also have a couple of plane hanging by the now up near the ridge beam and on on the wall.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 03:37:59 PM »
I built a wall rack for the top 4 planes sliding in nose first.  Others hang on the wall, usually by the LG.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 08:45:29 AM »
I built a rack out of 3/4 pvc from the floor to ceiling. The rack verticles are 24" apart and the horizontals are 12" long. The distances between the horizontals is about 8" to 12" inches. Just depends on the rudder and landing gear. I use a 2x4 on the floor and a 2x4 on the ceiling each with a 3/4" hole for the pvc. The verticals are screwed in to the floor 2x4 and the top 2x4 has the 3/4" holes but the pvc just goes through 2x4.  This way I can have about 10 or so planes in the space that one takes up.

Roger
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. FAA #FA3RFLPAN7

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here