News:

• May 27, 2024, 02:47:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New plane  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Tom Blodgett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
New plane
« on: December 19, 2007, 04:19:08 AM »
I have pretty much decided that my first plane will be an ARF or a simple “profile” style model (.40 size). That way, when I damage it while learning to fly, the repairs will be a little easier. Since I have been flying R/C scale and pattern since 1974, I have build approx 40-45 airplanes over that period of time. I will also like to build (this winter) what will be my second C/L plane. I have narrowed my selection down to the “Green box” 57 Nobler or the Vector 40. What would be a good engine for either of these (2) aircraft? I also would like to use this same engine for my “trainer” if possible.

My other question is what to use for covering either of these (2) planes with? Coming from the R/C side of the sport, with open construction, I would use Sig Koverall with a Dope finish. Would this method also work well with these types of models? Or would silk span be a better choice?

Thanks,

Tom
AMA 52863 (Since 1974)

Offline Ron King

• Commander
Re: New plane
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 07:33:06 AM »
Tom,

Welcome back to CL. I also spent many, many years flying RC between CL stints.

For your first model, I would suggest a profile Cardinal, powered by a 40 engine. Your building ideas are fine and the absolute killer engine would be an Aero Tiger 36 from Randy Smith.  :## Unfortunately, that engine might stress your wallet, so another 40 should be fine. I would recommend the Brodak 40 or Double Star 40, but don't know the delivery status of either engine right now. Hope someone else chimes in here and helps.

I would go with silkspan and move away from Koverall - it's very heavy and not necessary for CL models.

For the record, I have been flying my Cardinals with an AXI electric motor, a Brodak 40, an OS LA 46, and an OS 40 Surpass four stroke. All of these combinations have worked fine. The Cardinal has a bigger wing with a swept leading edge. It's a better performer than my old Twister and can be competitive all the way up to Expert (with the proper pilot).

Hope this helps,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Ed Migon

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 08:13:20 AM »
I would also recommend a Brodak .40, I got mine from Joe Maxwell's hobby shop in New Jersey (mojoemax@roadrunner.com) , as I live in the New Orleans area we have some problems with getting things here. Joe is a good guy and maybe he still has some, I would also recommend a "Primary Force" from Mikey Pratt.
Ed Migon New Orleans Ringmasters
Destrehan, Louisiana
AMA 4635

Offline Robert W

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 08:43:42 AM »
Out of the two choices The vector will probably carry more weight if this could be an issue. I used a LA46 in the Vector 40 I build and the model flew reasonably well at 42 ounces. I built it from a Brodak kit using all of the kit wood and monocoat finish.  I have seen the ARF version fly good with a Brodak 40 for power. If money were not an Issue I would go with the Aero tiger 36 from Randy. If weight is kept under control then either model would be a good flier and it would come down to the one you like the looks of best. If you plan to attend contest in the future then this may also be a consideration. The nobler can be flown in multiple events at a contest and the Vector is only eligible for one.
AMA 28627

Offline Tom Blodgett

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 10:13:49 AM »
Thank you all for your replies!! I have been doing a lot of reading here on this forum. WOW, there is much to learn about this part of model aviation. Some aspects are the same as R/C, but some seem to be quite unique to C/L.

I have been to the Brodak site and a few others, but being new to the C/L sport, I have not found anywhere that list silk span for sale. Any ideas were I might find it?

Thanks again,

Tom
AMA 52863 (Since 1974)

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 10:27:38 AM »
This is where you can get silkspan.

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/MainMenuFV4.html?E+Sig

But I recomend Polyspan It'll stand up better than silkspan.

http://www.clcentral.com/proddetail.asp?prod=POLYT&cat=46
You don't stop flying cause your get OLD
You get OLD cause you stopped flying
St Peter MN
Present Master of the Figure 9

Offline Tom Blodgett

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 10:30:55 AM »
Thanks Mike!!!  H^^
AMA 52863 (Since 1974)

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 10:45:09 AM »
I still use silkspan for over solid sufaces and polyspan over open bays and polyspan doesn't like to go around corners very well so it doesn't work for wing tips well.
You don't stop flying cause your get OLD
You get OLD cause you stopped flying
St Peter MN
Present Master of the Figure 9

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 12:52:22 PM »
OS LA46 - the best motor you can add to the vector for the bucks! 

I have 3 vectors set up with these engines - all I can say is it is a match made in Heaven
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Rotten

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 05:06:35 PM »
I agree with Wynn, I have 2 Vectors, One with an O.S. LA 46, and one with a Brodak 40. Both are good engines for this model, but the O.S. is a little cheaper.Although the O.S. LA 46 is Cheaper. I would go for the extra couple of bucks for the Brodak 40, you can fly it on 015 lines, the 46 needs 018's 

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 05:24:39 PM »
I have been to the Brodak site and a few others, but being new to the C/L sport, I have not found anywhere that list silk span for sale. Any ideas were I might find it?

Tom,

K&S Silkspan is available from Tower Hobbies. They sell OO (light), SGM (Heavy, but they call it medium. What do they know about modeling, they are RC people. :## ), and OOO(?).

Take care,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here