News:

• June 16, 2024, 03:02:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: what are we doing wrong???  (Read 7703 times)

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
Re: what are we doing wrong???
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2009, 04:47:59 PM »
I posted this on the facebook "1950's Generation Childhood Memories" board:

American Flyer trains, Mattel Shootin Shell Fanner 50 guns, Greenie stickem caps, erector sets, Schwinn bikes, Cox gas model planes, Sears Christmas Toy catalogs, Jiffy Pop popcorn, Fizzies, steel pop cans w/no pop tabs, Roy Rogers, Annette Funicello & Mouseketeer Club.

Phone numbers that began with the name of the exchange, only 3 channels on TV, the Twilight Zone (they scared me), the Wizard of Oz (the flying monkeys scared me), Rambler station wagons, the first 707 taking off from our municipal airport, no interstate highways, Ben Franklin Five and Dime Stores. Whamo Frisbees, Duncan Yo-Yos.

No fast food drive-ins. No bank drive-ins. Movie drive-ins where parents took their kids to watch in their pajamas. Maynard G. Krebs and, the Beaver...

Things change with time although you can still get a frisbee, yo-you and, (if you're lucky) a Cox gas model plane.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2009, 07:02:01 PM »
If you are flying with a club or a group in a place where you get spectators, perhaps you should have a trainer along so an interested person could give it a try.  These days, you don't want to do anything with a kid without parent or guardian's permission.  Ideally with the parent or guardian present.  That way maybe you can hook both parent and kid.  If the kid is interested, parental support is needed for success.

If you want to do something organized, you might find out if there is a local home schoolers association.  Home school kids already have a large parental investment in them, and do not have the array of distracting activities a regular school kid has.   

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2009, 10:35:53 PM »
Good reading, all of this.

I was taught how to build and fly by my Dad. I'm sure he wanted me to be more involved and more of a self starter than I was, but I did participate and he was the motivating factor. That is what dad's are for. Later in life, I became vey involved in Stunt. A lot of the practices I learned as a child from Dad.
I taught all of my kids to fly c/l. Jeremiah was active through my motivating him until he started racing BMX. We built plastics for several years together after he quit c/l.

Michael likes flying r/c better than c/l, but when the other kids are flying c/l he likes to do it too, because he can and is pretty good at it. All of the kids like to build for bout 1 to 2 hours, then hit the pool, beach, park, eat, whatever. I let them go after a little clean-up in hopes they'll be thinking about it later and come back to it!

My brother-in-law's kids and Michael like to fly r/c parkflyers because they are quiet, fun to fly, and can be recharged and flown at the relatively low stress surroundings of the local school yard or park, depending on which models we are flying. They get a kick out of soloing, even if us adults are just letting them cruise a powered glider for a few minutes without standing at their elbow. They all fly c/l too, it's just a different type of flying to them, noisy, oily, more urgent because it is SO LOW (their words).

My wife looks down her nose at r/c!!! She doesn't like how they fly, and likes to watch me fly Stunt more than anything else (though she says I look cool throwing HLG). Something about standing there twiddling our thumbs instead of dancing with that big Stunter! And they're ugly, she says. Gimmicky graphics from some corporate artist that doesn't know what an airplane is supposed to look like, she says. Except mine! (I paint them like Stunters or Scale ships). She loves me so much!!!

There were fewer and fewer kids flying models when I was a kid in the 60's and 70's, so it's been a long time coming now, this youth downturn in the hobby. There are a lot of old men at the r/c field too. The kids are at our electric field. Foamies and batteries, electronic stuff seems to be what they like. EDF is popular, though there are still kids without a lot of dough with whatever they can cobble together. One day some expressed suprise when I told them that c/l electrics exist an they fly them in Stunt and Scale events. They seemed to think that was a very fitting thing, which I thought a teen knowing what c/l is refreshing. For all I know they are flying cobbled up c/l foamies in their backyard tonight.

Saturday I'll fly models with Michael and his cousins, they'll learn some more and fly better for it. It always puts a smile on my face.

Chris...

Offline Mike Hodge

• New Pilot
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2009, 06:42:34 AM »
Matt: I'm not sure I can add accurate perspective, because it's been a while since I was a kid. However, I've recently taken up CL at age 46.

I've just now (I think) gotten the hang of it and believe me, I crashed a lot this summer. Other problems included line issues, not enough runway, dealing with wind, fuel problems, engine problems, dizziness, etc. Little did I know all this stuff affects whether you get the plane up in the air for a successful flight.

Then there's the issue of actually flying the plane and all that entails ---- being calm (still working on that), staying smooth and slow. Not easy when flight after flight ends up nose first in the ground.

IMO, the learning curve in this sport can be fairly steep --- and frustrating. And I had help from a local guy and folks on this board. That made it easier, but there's still a fair amount of learning that goes on in the early process.

I'm glad I didn't give up, but most people would have. 

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2009, 01:53:24 PM »
On Monday, I asked my cousin the million dollar question, "do you want to fly like me and grandpa?"  At first he said no, but then no less than 5 seconds later he said yes.  He's still 6 years old but I'm trying to get him interested.  He did build a plane with some scrap wood and the help of me and grandpa, but my uncle epoxied a pole on the wrong side of the wing (or the right side according to Rich Giacobone).

Matt Colan

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2009, 02:02:34 PM »
In our announcements today, I think I found our saving grace.  Anyway, there is an aviators club that is going to be offered at the nearby airport, and would you guess it, I'm going to join.  They said that you will learn how to fly in a real airplane.  My teacher was YELLING at me to join because she knows how interested I am in aviation, and I am.  Maybe I could see if I could get the instructers to let grandpa and I do a demo on CL.  That would be good.

Matt Colan

Offline Mike strawn

• New Pilot
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2009, 03:50:12 PM »
 Matt you are an outstanding young man. My son went thru the samething you are going thru.I't is great that you & Grampa are so close & are flying buddies. The only thing that worked for us was when one of his buddies showed a remote intrest we met him @ the flying field and got out the buddy cord and let them fly! As a kid I did the same with my buddies on C/L. It seemed to work pretty good. I think they just need to get the handle in their hands. My Dad had a double handle he would use,he stood behind the student with the second handle and would override a mistake untill they solo'd ,worked really well. Keep up the hard work, faith and your head pointed in the right direction. I'll be looking for your pics in the AMA mag. in the future! H^^
mike strawn,alvin,tx

AMA 40566

Offline Mike strawn

• New Pilot
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »
Matt why don't you build a ringmaster & you & your family come to Houston, TX., to the Ringmaster Round-up!! Go to the Brotherhood of the Ring website for info. on the contest. Good luck with your flying!
mike strawn,alvin,tx

AMA 40566

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here