News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:07:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NEW MID-ENGINE VETTE INTRODUCED AT 11PM PST  (Read 7912 times)

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
NEW MID-ENGINE VETTE INTRODUCED AT 11PM PST
« on: July 18, 2019, 06:44:30 PM »
Over time, I've discovered that many u-control flyers are Corvette aficionados. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to these cars. If it has a stick, that's good. If it's a ragtop, that's very good. If it has a big block, yowza ! Two of the three that I owned decades ago were  4 speeds and had high performance small blocks.
The newest Vette ; a 2020, with it's mid-engine, push-button trans automatic  and fixed roof has me waxing nostalgic. I'm sure it'll be super fast and corner unreal, but give me something else.

They tell me over and again that's what the current demographic ( over 70 , well-healed) wants. We're an aging group, but still mostly prefer things like they were. At least 4 seniors  in my Class of 1968 had Vettes. Times sure have changed. BTW, I bought my first  brand new in the early 70s- $5,450 plus 3% sales tax.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: NEW MID-ENGINE VETTE INTRODUCED AT 11PM PST
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 08:39:34 PM »
Over time, I've discovered that many u-control flyers are Corvette aficionados. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to these cars. If it has a stick, that's good. If it's a ragtop, that's very good. If it has a big block, yowza ! Two of the three that I owned decades ago were  4 speeds and had high performance small blocks.
The newest Vette ; a 2020, with it's mid-engine, push-button trans automatic  and fixed roof has me waxing nostalgic. I'm sure it'll be super fast and corner unreal, but give me something else.

They tell me over and again that's what the current demographic ( over 70 , well-healed) wants. We're an aging group, but still mostly prefer things like they were. At least 4 seniors  in my Class of 1968 had Vettes. Times sure have changed. BTW, I bought my first  brand new in the early 70s- $5,450 plus 3% sales tax.

They are trying to compete as an extremely low-cost alternative to the very similar Porsche, McLaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini offerings, much like the Ford GT.  They are also desperate to beat 7 minutes around the Nurburgring, which they were unable to do with any version of the C7. The market for front-engine muscle cars is blown away by all the Chargers and Mustangs with 700+ HP and rapidly growing, the only way they have to top that is moving to a different segment. I doubt that will work very well (people paying this kind of money for a car, even if its half what Porsche charges, expect better build quality...). but that's their plan.

Brett

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 09:02:28 PM »

I've always been a GM guy. A good half dozen hot rod cars and trucks over the years, current ride is a red/white tubbed 600-ish HP Pro-Street 454/400T '60 El Camino. I'd heard a while back that the mid-engine "Corvette" was in the works. Problem is that if it's a mid-engine car it's no longer a Corvette. Simple as that.  D>K

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 09:59:05 PM »
If the seats low theyll have to make one that automatically lifts you up and puts you on the footpath . Should patent THAT ! .  ;)

My Favourite ,

Think This'd be more ' Modern ' Good for a New retro To outshine the overly fussy styling on the P-51 Er Mustang .

Tho the Roadster'd be a better bet .

Like wots in the  background here .

Dunno when this one is , but likely this century . Should make the driver do all the pitwork there . thatd sort them out .

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 10:26:46 PM »
Maybe they'r looking to do a bit better in IMSA and at LeMans?

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 05:10:14 AM »
I've owned my C5 Z06 for almost 19 years, still runs strong, and the rear deck is a great work bench once the plane is assembled!  It won't do 200 MPH, but it didn't cost over $100k either!  The contractor that built my garage is a Ford fanatic, but he broke down and forked out over $100k for a new Z06, he liked it so much that he has placed an order for a C8.  At least I'll get a ride in one!

Don

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 07:09:05 AM »
GM has screwed the pooch many times, look what they did to Pontiac with that silly Aztec and the swollen roller skate Lemans. They screwed up the Vet when they went away from round tail lights. Ford got it with the newer mustangs looking more traditional, GM will mess up another great classic and it will go the way of the dodo bird.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 09:53:07 AM »
Early in 1955, I put a deposit at the dealership on a new '55 Thunderbird, while I scrounged to arrange full payment.  Then, I considered that a T'bird would not hold my model planes.  So I cancelled my order.

Bad move!  That T'bird would have later financed a Rolls Royce for me.  We live and learn.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 10:12:20 AM »
GM has screwed the pooch many times, look what they did to Pontiac with that silly Aztec and the swollen roller skate Lemans. They screwed up the Vet when they went away from round tail lights. Ford got it with the newer mustangs looking more traditional, GM will mess up another great classic and it will go the way of the dodo bird.

GM (for the last 50 years+) indeed been utterly dysfunctional. In this case, the market for brain-dead muscle cars like the Mustang (and Charger) is covered by the Camaro. The Corvette has always been the up-market version marketed to old rich guys, compared to the pony car/muscle car. The classic and cliche'd "mid-life crisis-mobile". Pony cars, you take a generally cheap chassis and start shoving successively more and more engine in it. As long as it does good burnouts in front of the local high school, mission accomplished. The Corvette has alway been a lot more sophisticated than that, with at least some concession to handling. This seems like a pretty logical development, they aren't trying to compete with the Mustang, they are competing with Porsche (another classic old rich guy car).
     Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 10:43:02 AM »
Maybe they'r looking to do a bit better in IMSA and at LeMans?

They did well enough as is, the C5 and C6 were very good race cars and very successful in endurance racing. I don't think that this is the issue.

They are trying to beat Porsche, and have a decent chance. The "911" is still pretty evil-handling and dangerous in the hands of the less-skilled, and twice the price. A base mid-engine Corvette is going to cost about what a Cayman costs, and potentially handle as well -  with almost twice the power. It's in the ballpark with the McLaren (and resembles it), and Ford GT overall, and vastly cheaper.

Brett

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 11:26:09 AM »
Well with politicians thinking GREEN things this may come to an end.  While waiting on the wife's Equinox getting its oil change and routine check over I strolled out on the demo floor.   Looked at the Corvette and wondered how I would get out of it if I did sit down behind the wheel.  Then I looked at the Camaro and it might be easier to get in and out.  What I wanted was the full size 4 door pickup., but it would need a step ladder or be lowed about 6 inches.   So I will have to be satisfied with the wife's vehicle until I get my Suburban back.   It has side steps which make it easy to enter. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 12:10:14 PM »
I have owned 20 classic muscle cars  Chevy,dodge ,plymouth and fords. I there was two Vettes a 1957 convertible and a 1963 340 HP  coup. These old Vettes were fun to drive buy not my favorite by a long shot. My low HP 2004 Mustang is almost as fast as the 63 Vette and a lot bter car all around driver. My fastest drag car was a 1968 428 Mustang super Cobra JET. Only 50 built with the aluminum body parts and plastic windows. I was faster  than my 68 Hemi Road Runner. I ran it several times in the 12's with street wide oval tires on it.
EddyR
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 07:10:03 PM »
For anyone interested.
In my opinion, one UGLY interior.

Bob Z.

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 07:18:24 PM »
Looks like a pretty expensive coffin tome! I could probably buy three Honda Odysseys with what one of those Vettes cost and haul one helluva lot more planes>  y1

Jerry

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 07:45:14 PM »

THIS is a Corvette...  y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 11:29:46 PM »
My fastest drag car was a 1968 428 Mustang super Cobra JET. Only 50 built with the aluminum body parts and plastic windows. I was faster  than my 68 Hemi Road Runner.

The driver shows more entusiasm for the throotle than finesse at times , Wouldnt mind a new one tho .

Would you buy a used car from this man .  S?P

Tom Vieira

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 05:39:03 AM »
I always knew the Fiero would make a come back!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 05:54:07 AM »
It seems like the car has absolutely no luggage room.  ???  ???
No excuse - If you want to travel, there should be at least a bit more room for a toothbrush!  n~

Bob Z.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 06:23:17 AM »
No excuse - If you want to travel, there should be at least a bit more room for a toothbrush!  n~

Bob Z.

Well, actually during the long lead press release, they showed that it can swallow 5 medium sized suitcases. It has a front and rear trunk.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2019, 08:50:57 AM »
No excuse - If you want to travel, there should be at least a bit more room for a toothbrush! 

My Cayman is smaller and it has plenty of room for luggage, it goes in the front, and around the engine cover. Even the Esprit had acceptable storage for small luggage, as long as you didnt mind them getting pretty hot (since there was only about 3/32 of fiberglass between your bags and the engine/muffler). This looks about the same arrangement. I have managed to get the Skyray and enough stuff to fly it in my car. It won't fit a full-size stunt plane, I have a van for that.

A front-engine Vette is not exactly a family hauler, either.

Brett

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2019, 07:05:18 PM »
I used to own a C3, and I now drive a C5.  I ruffle a lot of feathers with my opinion of the C8, but that's life.  I see the C8 as the Corvette's final descent into Eurotrash...

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2019, 01:07:43 AM »
After I finish the house, and Knight Twister, I get to retire, December 2024. The plan was a Jaguar F-Type R for my retirement car... until now.

Red C-8 Stingray, black interior with red stitching, haven't seen all of the wheels yet, but this car is my era's GT-40. Real mid engine, dual clutch, 8 speed, 500 hp mid engined sports car for working man price (when a few years old). I love it. Not a Corvette? I've been waiting for the replacement for my 6 year old boy dream car C-2 for 50+ years. The mid-engined Corvette was only kept from existence by old men like you guys! Finally. I'm the most excited I've been about a car since I learned what an E-Type was...

Chris...

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2019, 05:13:39 AM »
After I finish the house, and Knight Twister, I get to retire, December 2024. The plan was a Jaguar F-Type R for my retirement car... until now.

Red C-8 Stingray, black interior with red stitching, haven't seen all of the wheels yet, but this car is my era's GT-40. Real mid engine, dual clutch, 8 speed, 500 hp mid engined sports car for working man price (when a few years old). I love it. Not a Corvette? I've been waiting for the replacement for my 6 year old boy dream car C-2 for 50+ years. The mid-engined Corvette was only kept from existence by old men like you guys! Finally. I'm the most excited I've been about a car since I learned what an E-Type was...

Chris...
Hi Chris :
I hope you get a C8 and realize your dream. Let me tell you briefly about mine. In 1958,  a Mom took a young boy to the variety shop. They walked about 7 blocks, as she never drove a car. There, she bought him a snap-together 1958 Vette. The dream began at that point and the flame grew with intensity. In 1962, while at a cousin's graduation party, that 12 year old spotted  a new 1962 at the curb ,walked around it and starred at it for hours. Unbeknownst to him, that boy's father discovered the young owner of that car and asked him to take his son for a ride. That ride cemented his dream. When the new C2 arrived in the Fall of 1962, that boy's older brother took him to a Chevy dealer and got him the the 1963 brochure; the one with the black split-window coupe on the front. From that day forward all that young teen would blabber about to every male  at family gatherings was how he was going to get one.  He built AMT and Revell  model Vettes , coupes and convertibles. In the fall of that  teen's high school senior year, he  daydreamed and sketched Mako Vettes while in class. The following year , he commuted by train to college(had to work, too) in the city and would peer at a new 1969 on the showroom floor of a Chevy dealer's floor in the city each day while walking to the the Hudson tubes( above ground subway).Graduation in 1972 and first real job.  A few months later,he stopped at the Chevy store on a rainy Fall Saturday . The brochure for 1973 read, "If you wanted a Vette Since You Were a Kid, You've Waited Long  Enough". Indeed he had. Six months later, a new order-specific Stingray  Coupe was delivered  that Elizabeth, NJ dealer. It was the greatest feeling on Earth.

Hope you get your's soon.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2019, 05:28:32 AM »
Hi Chris :
I hope you get a C8 and realize your dream. Let me tell you briefly about mine. In 1958,  a Mom took a young boy to the variety shop. They walked about 7 blocks, as she never drove a car. There, she bought him a snap-together 1958 Vette. The dream began at that point and the flame grew with intensity. In 1962, while at a cousin's graduation party, that 12 year old spotted  a new 1962 at the curb ,walked around it and starred at it for hours. Unbeknownst to him, that boy's father discovered the young owner of that car and asked him to take his son for a ride. That ride cemented his dream. When the new C2 arrived in the Fall of 1962, that boy's older brother took him to a Chevy dealer and got him the 1963 brochure; the one with the black split-window coupe on the front. From that day forward all that young teen would blabber about to every male  at family gatherings was how he was going to get one.  He built AMT and Revell  model Vettes , coupes and convertibles. In the fall of that  teen's high school senior year, he  daydreamed and sketched Mako Vettes while in class. The following year , he commuted by train to college(had to work, too) in the city and would peer at a new 1969 on the showroom floor of a  city Chevy dealer's floor  each and every day while walking to the the Hudson tubes( above ground subway).Graduation in  June 1972 and first real job following September.  A few months later,he stopped at the Chevy store on a rainy Fall Saturday . The brochure for 1973 read, "If you wanted a Vette Since You Were a Kid, You've Waited Long  Enough". Indeed he had. Six months later, a new order-specific Stingray  Coupe was delivered  to an Elizabeth, NJ dealer. It was the greatest feeling on Earth.

Hope you get your's soon.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2019, 08:38:22 AM »
Cool Frank!
My '63 split window coupe red plastic toy car had quite the emotional effect on me, and for years I couldn't figure out just what it was about it that made me so thrilled. That is what this one does for me now. It'll be fun, looking forward to it. But, it won't be new like yours. Wow, new 'Vette!
Chris...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 12:33:10 PM by Chris McMillin »

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2019, 09:31:04 PM »
 Another thing that I really don't care for is that visually there is nothing that jumps out and says "Corvette". All signs of the bloodline are gone, a couple crossed flag emblems stuck on the car just doesn't cut it.

I know my two cents doesn't matter because it's all out of my price range (and I refuse to wear a visor) but as far as I'm concerned GM has discontinued the Corvette. Hopefully after a few year hiatus they'll bring it back like they did the Camaro.

Wayne Willey

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
NEW MID-ENGINE VETTE INTRODUCED AT 11PM PST
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2019, 04:13:28 AM »
I drive a 1975 Vette with a 406 and a 700r4. I’m told it’s a low 13 second car. Engine and trans were swapped in 1987. Drove it to the NATs and Brodak some years past. Runs well. Air works. 2019. How’d that happen. My newest car ever (until I bought new 2009 Civic) was a 1980 Le Mans Station Wagon. A mildly hot rodded 350 powers that also through a 700r4. I still drive it. Plan is to re-engine with an aluminum head 454. 2019. What?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156651836628121&set=a.426165323120&type=3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 04:31:25 AM by Dennis Moritz »

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2019, 10:49:09 PM »
Wayne,
I'm sure guys said the same thing when the C2 or C3 came out.
Chris...

Another thing that I really don't care for is that visually there is nothing that jumps out and says "Corvette". All signs of the bloodline are gone, a couple crossed flag emblems stuck on the car just doesn't cut it.

I know my two cents doesn't matter because it's all out of my price range (and I refuse to wear a visor) but as far as I'm concerned GM has discontinued the Corvette. Hopefully after a few year hiatus they'll bring it back like they did the Camaro.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2019, 12:06:55 AM »
Not to be indelicate, but the target market is not crotchety old guys who squeeze pennies so hard they leave fingerprints in them!

Brett

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2019, 07:58:59 AM »
Make mine a  1LT 2019 manual shift, dual mode exhaust convertible. There are just a handlful in the country left

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2019, 08:01:49 AM »
I can empathize with Corvette fans.  I do not like the way things are going, whether it is the motor vehicle industry or some other industry, but time marches on.

The baby boomer generation has to realize that unless someone is selling hearing aids, Inogens, walk-in tubs, man-made human body parts, or anything else related to the medical industry, nobody cares what we think or want.

I sometimes hear Harley owners complain about what Harley is doing these days.  But, what is Harley to do?  Government regulations have to be obeyed and why should Harley care about a shrinking demographic?  It is not only Harley but other motorcycle manufacturers as well.  My motorcycle is a 25 year old BMW.  Air cooled boxer engine. The fuel system consists of a tank, petcock, hoses, two carburetors, and gravity.  When I take it in for yearly inspection, the younger employees at the shop are amazed to see such an ancient machine and that it looks so good and still runs so well.  Some of these younger employees have never seen a carburetor.

My truck is old enough to have knobs and buttons on the radio.  Hand crank windows.  No GPS, no touch screen or other gadgetry.  I can open the hood and find the dipstick and oil filler cap.  I can even see the spark plugs.  It suits me just fine but I know the next one will be very different.

The "good old days" (if they were really that good) are gone.  If I want nostalgia now I get on the BMW.  Or, I will dig into my box of engines, find that never-been-run Fox 35, and wonder if I will ever use it.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 10:12:14 AM by Jim Svitko »

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2019, 12:36:19 PM »

That's what my brother in law said until he saw the C-8. We were born in '58, must be a generation gap thing.
Chris...

Make mine a  1LT 2019 manual shift, dual mode exhaust convertible. There are just a handlful in the country left

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2019, 12:42:25 PM »
Ted told you copper wire was invented when two captains picked up a penny at the same time, right?
At Captain school I was taught higher math, like how to split a 7% tip three ways.
A couple off the top of my head...
Chris...

Not to be indelicate, but the target market is not crotchety old guys who squeeze pennies so hard they leave fingerprints in them!

Brett

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2019, 01:19:57 PM »
I can empathize with Corvette fans.  I do not like the way things are going, whether it is the motor vehicle industry or some other industry, but time marches on.

The baby boomer generation has to realize that unless someone is selling hearing aids, Inogens, walk-in tubs, man-made human body parts, or anything else related to the medical industry, nobody cares what we think or want.

I sometimes hear Harley owners complain about what Harley is doing these days.  But, what is Harley to do?  Government regulations have to be obeyed and why should Harley care about a shrinking demographic?  It is not only Harley but other motorcycle manufacturers as well.  My motorcycle is a 25 year old BMW.  Air cooled boxer engine. The fuel system consists of a tank, petcock, hoses, two carburetors, and gravity.  When I take it in for yearly inspection, the younger employees at the shop are amazed to see such an ancient machine and that it looks so good and still runs so well.  Some of these younger employees have never seen a carburetor.

My truck is old enough to have knobs and buttons on the radio.  Hand crank windows.  No GPS, no touch screen or other gadgetry.  I can open the hood and find the dipstick and oil filler cap.  I can even see the spark plugs.  It suits me just fine but I know the next one will be very different.

The "good old days" (if they were really that good) are gone.  If I want nostalgia now I get on the BMW.  Or, I will dig into my box of engines, find that never-been-run Fox 35, and wonder if I will ever use it.

Hi, Jim - thanks for the memories!
My first new bike was a 1975 BMW R-90S.
As I recall, it was the first year without a kickstarter.
Terrific machine, great handling.

Regarding cars, my newest everyday driver is a 1974 FIAT and I have two other Italian cars, both everyday drivers, from 1967.
They all have distributors with points and a total of SIX Weber carbs.

Bob Z.

ps - photos of your BMW?

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2019, 01:41:47 PM »
Actually, in the promo videos they show a set of golf clubs being pulled out of the "trunk".  It looks like it has lots of storage.

I don't like it because the tail lights aren't round.  But hey!  If I could afford one, I think that I could change my mind on that.  Speaking of which - why don't one of you guys start a Go-Fund-Me campaign to bring an old geezer (me) into the modern era?  What a great way to teach me a lesson: make me have to drive one every day....That'll show me!

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2019, 04:30:34 PM »
Hi, Jim - thanks for the memories!
My first new bike was a 1975 BMW R-90S.
As I recall, it was the first year without a kickstarter.
Terrific machine, great handling.

Regarding cars, my newest everyday driver is a 1974 FIAT and I have two other Italian cars, both everyday drivers, from 1967.
They all have distributors with points and a total of SIX Weber carbs.

Bob Z.

Pics for you.  They do not make 'em like this anymore.  Some might say that is a good thing but I like it as it is.

ps - photos of your BMW?

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2019, 04:37:03 PM »
One more.   It is a '94, it had 10,500 miles on it when I bought it in '98.   It has 83,000 miles on it now.  A few mods such as ported heads, re-jetted carbs, and new exhaust.  New clutch installed when the transmission was rebuilt a few years ago.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2019, 01:21:15 PM »
I don't know if anyone put this link to J Leno driving the new Corvette. But here it is

Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2019, 06:12:38 PM »
The driver shows more entusiasm for the throotle than finesse at times , Wouldnt mind a new one tho .

Old cars were slow as Christmas:

1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda 0-60: 6.3
2012 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Coupe 0-60: 6.2

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T SE 440 6 Pack 5.8 sec
2016 Honda Accord Touring Coupe 5.6 sec

Or even better:

1972 Chevrolet Camaro Luxury GT  0-60 mph 9.7
2003 Mazda MPV ES  0-60: 9.3

and

1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS Compare 0-60 mph 7.9
2018 Honda Odyssey EX-L Passenger Van 7.7 sec

The "Good Old Days" sucked, for the most part.

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2019, 08:06:01 PM »

" The quickest and fastest factory drag race vehicle is the Dodge Challenger. Geoff Turk has run 8.02 at 170 mph with the Whipple-supercharged Gen III Hemi. "

Do the Hondas still wobble .  ;D S?P VD~

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2019, 08:19:39 PM »

1968 Dodge Dart LO23

The 1968 Dodge Dart was created by Dodge and Hurst as the ultimate drag car. The already light Dodge Dart was made even lighter when its sheet metal was replaced with a fiberglass hood and fenders and the doors were dipped in acid.

Under the hood of this ultra-light Dart was a 426 cubic inch Hemi V-8 engine. The engine was rated to give the car 425 horsepower, but it actually put out more than 550 horsepower. It could go from zero to 60 in 3.5 seconds. Dodge built only 80 of these vehicles and never officially advertised them in its catalogs, making them a true collector’s item.

======================================================================================

And the Hondas twice as ugly AND its made of PLASTIC ! .  >:D LL~ :-X

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2019, 08:36:21 PM »
20 year old Harley Softail Custom. Last of the EVO carbed engines. Nothing newer turns my head.
Jim Kraft

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2019, 08:36:32 PM »

Put a H.R.D. Vincent engine together around 1981 for / overseen by the bloke who built the engine in this .

Russell Wright set a 1954 New Zealand speed record of 140 mph (230 km/h) on a Black Lightning at the Tram Road Speed Trials. At the meeting he met Rapide owner Robert "Bob" Burns who had built a streamliner shell for a sidecar record attempt. They formed a partnership for Bob to supply a streamliner shell for Russell's solo world record attempt, if Russell let him use the Black Lightning for his sidecar world record attempt. In December 1954 Bob Burns went first and set a new F.I.M. World Sidecar record of 157 mph (253 km/h), up from 154 mph (248 km/h). On the 2nd of July 1955, Russell Wright set a new F.I.M. world speed record of 185 mph (298 km/h) on the Tram Road at Swannanoa, near Christchurch, while Bob Burns upped his sidecar record to 163.06 mph.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately Burns and Wright's Bonneville trip ended in disappointment with their best run being 198MPH. Later Burns would learn that they had been too conserative by limiting their nitro mix to 20%.

The Heads , Carbs & Mag. for this were built by the companies best specialists under Len's supervision / observation . In the U.K.

The Other Engine he had whilst I worked there was the 1/4 midget Hydroplane 1951 Champion . Both now in Norton Frames with Norton boxes , tho he still had the gearcases sawn of the 51 motor .
And the Dayton Entry TR 500 & 750 Suzukis . Offered a T 750 Suzuki with the 73 gears & barrels / TR for 300 for the Engine then . If you had a junkyard full of Hemis they might be worth a dollar or two more
than a junkyard full of Hondas .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2019, 08:47:45 PM »
Not Too Sure on the Paint on the Hondas , too .  >:D

Honda Accord Forum
Honda Accord 02 front end wobble

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2019, 01:20:59 AM »

Or even better:

and

Brett
And this doesn't even consider that , except for the corvette when they went to 4 wheel disks in the mid 70's, they all had lousy brakes and most , except for the late 70's Camaro, and even better, the 78 and newer Trans Am with the WS-6 package, cornered terribly.
The great muscle cars were great, as long as you didn't have to stop fast or corner at speed.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2019, 07:14:40 PM »
And in ages to come , when people think of the Prius , they will still say , Fear This .  :o :-X

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2019, 07:48:23 PM »
When it comes to performance cars of the 60s and early 70s,  raw simplicity was the reason for their popularity back then and the same holds true today.

Modern day muscle cars are indeed awesome.

How well will the electronics hold up in the new stuff ? A lot of the country uses brine spray which AAA warns will begin to deteriorate under hood wiring in roughly five years.

The old GM muscle cars with solid lifters were a joy to listen to and drive. The most memorable that I personally experienced  behind-the-wheel time in were a 67 427/435 Vette, a 68 396/375 Camaro SS/RS, and a  69 302/290 Z-28.

Back to the new 2020 mid-engine Vette, I must say that it is growing on me.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2019, 10:15:34 PM »
How well will the electronics hold up in the new stuff ? A lot of the country uses brine spray which AAA warns will begin to deteriorate under hood wiring in roughly five years.

If you want to talk reliabilty, there's no comparison - modern cars are orders of magnitude better.

Brett

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2019, 11:43:05 PM »
   If you want to talk reliabilty, there's no comparison - modern cars are orders of magnitude better.

Brett

I hear ya.
My 2004 Subaru is at 296K on the odo. It goes through a little oil now, but after its run for a minute it still idles so quietly that you can barely hear it.  Let's see a 1975 anything match that.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline katana

• Commander
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2019, 02:15:34 AM »

LOL's - best not bring it to Europe then! I've a 40 year old UK car and the wiring is still good to go, has open connectors not 'weatherseal' types, they get a bit crusty but petroleum jelly sorts that out. If a new cars wiring starts failing after 5 years, i'd returning it to the 'Stealer' as not fit for purpose  n1

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2019, 09:51:53 AM »
Cars are better built and designed motors better with computer control, but the biggest reason they last is because  oil and lubricants have gotten  WAY  better !

Randy

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2019, 09:39:35 AM »
and do not forget the new 2020 El Camino comming......................

Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2019, 09:59:22 AM »
I actually miss my 1969 Corvette it’s a L-88 427 with m-22 was a custom car at Oakland Grand National and then turn into a race car.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 10:56:19 AM by Larry Wong »
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2019, 12:19:11 PM »

Ooooooh!  Now that one I really like!

Diya thin owr plains wid ft 'n th back?

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2019, 08:01:37 AM »
In case anyone is interested:

Bob Z.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2019, 08:07:52 PM »
Thanks Bob.
Chris...

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2019, 09:42:51 PM »
2020 Vette...

Wow. I like it. I like it a LOT.

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2019, 10:02:14 PM »

Seriously?  Chevy is discontinuing the Camaro (again) to turn it into an El Camino?

*SIGH*

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2019, 10:50:59 PM »
Scott
after seeing what teh El Camino will be coming from, I am sure a couple planes will fit back there

coming from the Holden group

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2019, 06:13:39 AM »
2020 Vette...

Wow. I like it. I like it a LOT.

Andre

And I would've guessed a purist such as yourself would never consider a Vette that doesn't have a third pedal.
It is a beauty ; except for the back .

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2019, 08:01:41 AM »
Frank:

A 6 speed would be the poops. However, my comment was made in reference to the side profile of it. It's got "exotic" written all over it. To purchase such styling in the European offerings would be well into the 6-figure range.

Both Sharon and I have been 'Vette fans forever. I pretty much like all "C" body styles. Sharon's a bit more selective, but she LOVES this one!

Hope all of you East Coast Crazies are doing good. I haven't talked to Larry in forever. I need to give him a call. I do hope both Larry and Ginger are doing well?

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2019, 06:13:35 PM »
I am questioning why anyone would want a three-pedal trans. My guess is that few understand what a big deal a dual clutch transmission is and how much time it cuts in shifting and laying down power. Since my intention is to track-day mine, I was more than thrilled that the new C8 has this feature along with it's low CG and optimized aero making it as close to a modern race car as I'll ever get to drive. Let alone own by virtue of it's price.
It's pretty much a fantastic car so far as I can tell, I am watching with anticipation. I'm in love with a base engine that has a dry sump, 495 HP, 470 FT/LBS of torque and continuously variable valve timing. As well a 8 speed trans that shifts in milliseconds and transfers power during the shift, a huge amount of stopping power and a top speed of 194 miles per hour, yeah I'm pretty much sold. 
Chris... 

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2019, 07:04:21 PM »
Prices announced today. $59,995.00 base. Chris, I hope you are able to swing it. This old fart likely won't have another. But I can dream.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2019, 07:45:18 PM »
chevrolet.com has all the  levels and prices . $59,995 ain't chump change , but it buys a car that should satisfy most. Easy to bring it up over 75K, though.

A future ZO6 reportedly will exceed 100K.

The Ford GT  exceeds 500K .

Who wouldn't be happy with a mid-engine that is a small fraction of that ?

Hats off to GM !

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2019, 09:35:04 PM »
 " El Camino " . sounds like the mafia .  S?P looks like theyve done the usual in advertising cars , Use Midgits , Elongate the thing , and polish it up .

looks like a tarted up Holden Ute . Not that theres anything wrong with a Holden Ute .

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2019, 05:29:54 AM »

FYI- Holden Division of GM Australia( which produced an Aussie El Camino) closed their doors a few years ago. The chances of GM producing one now are nill. Except the for the 2020 Vette that may someday have a Cadillac version(hope not), GM does not have a platform suitable for an EL Camino at this time and likely  won't into the future because of small volume sales. I had a 1972 Camino  in 1977- it was a rust bucket , squirrelly in the rain, but sure looked cool.

Now back to the 2020 Vette !

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2019, 08:47:17 AM »
I am questioning why anyone would want a three-pedal trans. My guess is that few understand what a big deal a dual clutch transmission is and how much time it cuts in shifting and laying down power. Since my intention is to track-day mine, I was more than thrilled that the new C8 has this feature along with it's low CG and optimized aero making it as close to a modern race car as I'll ever get to drive. Let alone own by virtue of it's price.
It's pretty much a fantastic car so far as I can tell, I am watching with anticipation. I'm in love with a base engine that has a dry sump, 495 HP, 470 FT/LBS of torque and continuously variable valve timing. As well a 8 speed trans that shifts in milliseconds and transfers power during the shift, a huge amount of stopping power and a top speed of 194 miles per hour, yeah I'm pretty much sold. 
Chris...

Chris - GO FOR IT!!!
Get out your checkbook and realize your dream. What the heck, you only go around once.
I did this with my Ferrari in 1975.
Spent every dime I had to purchase it and never regretted it for a second.
I still have it, drive it regularly and it's closing in on 200,000 miles.

I think the reason for people preferring a three pedal system is just kind of a purist attitude. Also, much easier for the do-it-yourselfer, like me.

Regarding handling, I've owned front-engine (three Ferraris, four ALFAs), rear-engine  (three Porsches) and mid-engine (two Ferrari 308s) cars.
Mid engine handling (In my opinion) is the most precise, predictable and forgiving of the three.
The new Corvette should be a true winner.

Bob Z.

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2019, 10:08:14 PM »
Just heard, maybe a rumor?, that 2020 Corvette production is almost sold out.
Now an immediate purchae decision is not necessary.   :(
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2019, 11:37:13 AM »

Or even better:

and

Brett

1960 Ford 352 CI 360 HP 3 speed column shift overdrive  0-60 in 7.1sec.  150MPH WOT.  Magazines called it the fastest production car in the world.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2019, 08:51:09 PM »
 Here’s a photo of my 1986 Corvette. I painted it Candy Apple Red. It has a 454 big block Chevy 4 speed with nitrous for a extra 150 HP at a push of the button.
Al

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2019, 09:05:40 PM »
 Not a Corvette, but has a 540  cubic inch Big Block Chevy with a power glide trans  >:D
Al

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2019, 12:37:59 PM »
might have to wait for a bit to get their vettes.

GM still having big labor problems and the teamsters (according to what I read a few hours ago)
are not allowing anything to be shipped out. (If I read it correctly that is)

and it looks like the Canadian workers are getting furloughed left and right.

makes you want to say hhhhmmmmmmmmm.............
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2019, 12:36:26 PM »
Just heard, maybe a rumor?, that 2020 Corvette production is almost sold out.
Now an immediate purchae decision is not necessary.   :(
Roger

I wonder how the strike at GM will affect delivery??   ???  ???

Bob Z.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here