News:

• March 29, 2024, 03:40:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New plane...  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Mike Mulligan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
    • Mulligan Racing Development
New plane...
« on: July 17, 2013, 07:28:38 PM »
Hi Guys,

I've been here in the Hangar for quite a while now, mostly lurking and doing a bit of vicarious flying through you guys since my schedule hasn't allowed me to get out to the field lately. It sure is nice to relax with you guys after a long day!

I really like seeing what everyone is building and watching as projects progress, and though I haven't been able to do much flying, I have been working away at a new plane and I thought I would share a few pics.

I'm calling it Galaxie (I've named a few of my planes after old Fords) and I built it to practice my finishing skills before I start the finish on my Legacy. Well, that and flying it, of course.  ;D

Construction is painfully conventional. Power is an LA.46, wing area about 612 squares, and she weighs 44 oz. as you see it with engine but no tank.

Kind of a pencil bomber, I guess, but I like the long, lean look. I haven't made a final decision on a paint job yet, but I'm leaning toward red with black and white trim, or perhaps a metallic green with cream trim. Of course blue is nice too...... :-\  Maybe I'll go look at the NATS pics again for inspiration!

Right now though, I should probably get it off of the coffee table before  mw~

Cheers!

Mike
Mike Mulligan
AMA 789641
Mulligan Racing Development
www.Mulliganracing.com Mike@Mulliganracing.com

Offline Mike Mulligan

• Ensign
Re: New plane...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 07:32:34 PM »
A few more pics...
Mike Mulligan
AMA 789641

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 07:56:37 PM »
Very nice. Has a very 60s feel to it. I like it. I think I would go with a 60s hot rod sort of paint scheme.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 08:12:22 PM »
The name rang a bell but, alas, a different spelling.

http://brodak.com/control-line-kits/brodak/classic-stunt/galaxy-kit.html

Yours is much better looking and will probably fly a lot better.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 08:46:06 PM »

Look pretty cool Mike, kinda 60's-ish like Randy says. Always nice too see original stuff. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 08:47:21 PM »
That chin cowl is fantastic!  y1
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 12:29:13 AM »
Very NICE!
The wheel pants are especially cool!

Have fun!

Offline Mike Mulligan

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 11:33:35 PM »
Thanks, I really appreciate it coming from you guys! I really like a lot of the 60s era designs and I guess it shows. In fact, even though the original design had the canopy where it is on the model, I came REALLY close to putting it up front, jet style.  8) I might have to build another one that way.

A 60s hot rod paint job is a brilliant idea Randy, and would go perfectly with the only aspect of the finish I had actually decided upon; Moon discs on the wheels and wide whitewalls! To be honest, my paint thoughts had been going toward something more conventional like Jim Kostecky's Formula S, but now I'm starting to have thoughts of pearl colors and lace masked backgrounds!

This is one of the first scribbles I did of the thing and it shows a simple version of the direction I was headed for paint. (Can't vouch for the transmission shop, but I like their note pad...)

Thanks again!

Mike
Mike Mulligan
AMA 789641

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 08:04:03 PM »
I am anxious to see your Super Legacy! But FYI, "Galaxy" is singular, "Galaxies" is plural, and there is (despite FoMoCo) no such woid as "Galaxie".  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Mulligan

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 07:51:11 PM »
Wow Steve, that's a blast from the past! I was just looking for that drawing the other day and can't find it. Got to be around the shop somewhere...

Yeah the poor Legacy has been waiting for a while now. I opened a race shop about six years ago and, as you can imagine, my modelling time really took a hit. I'm getting back to it and that was part of the reason the Galaxie was born. I'd like to get in a bit of practice before doing the Legacy. I'll try to post some pics at some point.

BTW - Galaxie, Galaxy - What are a couple of vowels between friends? (Besides, I stole the name from Ford fair and square. It's not my fault if they can't spell...  ;D)

Speaking of, here are three versions of Ford's Galaxie script. I think I'm leaning toward to first pic (1963 version) for the port wing, but the third (1964) is nice too. Got a little time before I have to commit...
Mike Mulligan
AMA 789641

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 07:54:59 PM »
Why not "Galaxia"? At least nobody would complain about your schpelling!  ;) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here