News:

• June 05, 2024, 10:23:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tom's Techniques  (Read 1227 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
Tom's Techniques
« on: November 18, 2014, 10:19:21 AM »
This book has been discussed on here some so out of curiosity and wanting to improve my skills using Iron on covering, I ordered it.  This is probably the most thourough instruction book I have ever read on how to apply covering.  Anyone who wants to improve their skills on on covering should have this book.

Mike

Offline Steve Thornton

• Commander
Re: Tom's Techniques
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 01:00:25 AM »
I heartily agree with that Mike.  It is very comprehensive and clear....just wish it had color photos.
Steve
"Most of us won't make it out of this world alive."
Steve Thornton

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 03:02:59 AM »
Where are they available?
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Mike Griffin

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 09:20:23 AM »
Dick I ordered mine through Amazon.

Mike

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 10:34:38 AM »
Dick I ordered mine through Amazon.

Mike

Yes, thanks.  Apparently, all they have are used.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 12:10:55 PM »
This book has been discussed on here some so out of curiosity and wanting to improve my skills using Iron on covering, I ordered it.  This is probably the most thourough instruction book I have ever read on how to apply covering.  Anyone who wants to improve their skills on on covering should have this book.

Mike

Agreed. This book is quite good. However, unless it has been updated you will find techniques for overlapping film with film (numbers and graphics for example) to be substandard. Not that poking jillions of holes in base film was ever a good idea. The techniques in using Windex--thoroughly documented here and on Stuka Stunt--to apply film over film are clearly superior.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 09:51:08 PM »
Agreed. This book is quite good. However, unless it has been updated you will find techniques for overlapping film with film (numbers and graphics for example) to be substandard. Not that poking jillions of holes in base film was ever a good idea. The techniques in using Windex--thoroughly documented here and on Stuka Stunt--to apply film over film are clearly superior.

Dan

AMEN...'Nuff said!  The basic covering techniques in the book are excellent however for anyone less than an expert in covering with film!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Mike Griffin

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 10:24:39 PM »
Good point guys.  I use Windex and always have.  The rest is very good for learning how o apply to the airframe

Mike

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 08:10:38 AM »
I don't know if they are still available, but Faye Stilley's books on film covering are the best!  I loaned my set to someone and never got them back!  HB~> :X mw~ :'(
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here