News:

• May 27, 2024, 10:10:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Handle, finger grips or without for 2013 ?  (Read 6779 times)

Offline Cliff Henke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
New Handle, finger grips or without for 2013 ?
« on: January 02, 2013, 08:50:58 PM »
Got a few gift cards for Christmas and thought about purchasing a new control handle. I have about figured out which model ( earlier post on this site ) I want ( HARDPOINT )

but before I pick,  I would like to know what the  y1  PROS & CONS   n1   are in Finger grip handles or without ?   

I have only flown one handle and it has slight nubs not finger grips.

I have only owned one handle for 25 years and it is a yellow lead out cable adjustable Sullivan. The handle has been wrapped in tennis racket handle tape for a while to change the neutral feeling at the time.

Hopefully new handle & lines for the OS46LA  38 Special for "2013".

Any advice would be helpful as usual, 

Hurricane Cliff Ovalhead 61
Wasting away the moments that make up a dull day...................

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: New Handle, finger grips or without for 2013 ?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 09:04:41 PM »
I make these handles from Redwood and they do not have finger grips. If the radius along the edge is too small the handles does not feel natural.

Fred C.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 09:05:34 PM »
picture #2
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 09:09:02 PM »
Cliff,

I just got these "hard points" in the mail yesterday. Purchased from Tom Morris.

Cables will be a thing of the past for me, I don't know about others?

I'm going hard with all my handles. I can do the retro-fit myself and save some loot. I think.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 11:34:46 PM »
I've used some Tom Morris handles (kits), and really didn't like the finger scallops at all. When I had them sanded almost off, they were ok, but I've been using TED handles from Carl Shoup for about 5 years now, and would never go to anything heavier or with cables. You asked. Sorry the picture sux! You really want the handle to fit snuggly across your index and pinky fingers, so custom fitting is very much in order. Both mine are 60 grams each. Lighter is mucho better, when the line tension gets dodgey.

I use the "small", which is a copy of the Hot Rock frm EZ Just. The "large" size is way big for me, and I usually wear either Large or XL gloves. The neat thing is being able to make them fit your hand, not Ted's or Bob's. I assemble them with CA, sand to shape, and finish with two coats of Z-poxy finishing resin, plus grip tape for fishing rods, tennis rackets, etc. You'll love the TED handle!  H^^ Steve
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:44:02 AM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bart Klapinski

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 11:53:28 PM »

Most all my modeling career I have used the hard point handles. I do not like "cable" handles for several reasons. I don't seem to be able to feel the plane as well, not as positive input to the controls, one less thing to go wrong ---such a cable breakage, and when ever the line tension goes away the "cables" want to fall toward the ground causing just a bit more line slack. Over heads can be particularly troublesome. My hard point handles are adjustable. Just my input and I hope this is helpful. Handles with or without finger grips ( I have flown both) is what the pilot feels best using.

Tempest

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 12:47:07 AM »
I use "Ted" handles just like the one Steve Helmick pictured, made from Carl Shoup's kits.  I wanted to mention this to confirm what Steve said about very carefully fitting the handle to just touch your index and pinky fingers.  I believe this to be one of the most important features of a good handle.  I also use tennis tape wrapped around the handle in one layer.  The hard point feature gives much better feel and feedback from the control system.  It eliminates the springy feeling of the cables where they bend through a handle.  The lines alone give some springyness to the feel and that's bad enough.  I wish something could be done about them....Hmmmm.  Nahhh...

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 01:26:58 AM »
I think many of us fly with handles the shape of Hot Rocks because that's what we used when we were kids.  If you didn't, you may like the finger grips. They feel nice and may warn you when you pick up the handle upside down. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 08:06:31 AM »
I use the Ted handle also and they do make a difference even for this old man.  Thesafety thong is what tells me if the handle is upside down  or not. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 09:45:45 AM »
I use both. It depends.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 11:38:48 AM »
Definitely a hard point handle, with perhaps a 1/4 in. of adjustment available.  Finger grips just get in the way.  If the finger edge of the handle has a slight outward curve top to bottom you can adjust your grip easily in flight if needed.
phil Cartier

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 11:48:01 AM »
This is what I'm using, although I'm currently trying to keep up one handle per plane, and I'm getting tired of making up handles!!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 12:15:06 PM »
I use both. It depends.

By "both", Randy means a control handle and the buttons on his jacket.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 12:45:33 PM »
By "both", Randy means a control handle and the buttons on his jacket.

It's a local joke. Not that we'd ever laugh at Randy! That episode of "Stunt Buttons" did remind us that zippers are safer to fly with.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 02:57:03 PM »
Howard and Steve,

Uh, just a minute while I consult ........ OK,  Here you go:    na#
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 04:09:33 PM »
This is what I'm using, although I'm currently trying to keep up one handle per plane, and I'm getting tired of making up handles!!

I am using one handle for several planes.  I leave the line clip on the up leadout when I disconnect the lines to roll them up.  I try my best to get leadouts tied as close to neutral as I can.  Then it is the lines.  The handle is already at neutral.   On planes in  which I couldn't get the right length clip, I make up a set of lines just for that plane.   And like Allen B. showed me,  Sandwich Bags for the lines of each plane, well marked. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 12:27:56 AM »
I've been using the plastic bucket handle(?) with a wire insert. Someone sells them as a combat handle. Looks like a 1/2A handle. There are finger scallops. I have been gripping this handle between the first and second knuckles. The feel is great. Entirely different than a handle gripped closer to the palm of the hand. My plane doesn't pull much. It is light. I am planning to sketch a handle like this and cut it from ply. I have two sets of hard point that will be bolted to this form. A Ted handle with scallops, held out on the fingers. When I was 40 pounds lighter and played racket ball all the time, I held the racket something like this. Great control. Lots of power.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 04:35:18 AM »
I don't like the finger grips... n1

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 04:42:02 PM »
I grew up flying Hot Rocks, Anything else feels well, wrong to me. But this is one of those deals that is so personal you just need to experimet and see what feels right to you.
AMA 76478

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 12:10:32 PM »

Tim,

Nice handle, good work!

I see you have no adjustment for one of the hard points?

Some say it's necessary for wrist angle?

Adding or taking away line HDWE will do the same. Correct?

Thanks for posting the photo.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 08:08:57 AM »
Different length line clips do the same thing.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 11:24:02 AM »
Different length line clips do the same thing.

Yup.  I made myself a line clip bender, and I bend up clips as needed for adjustment.

Aero Products sells "Hello Kitty" line clip sets if you don't want to mess with bending your own.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 03:16:37 PM »
Got a few gift cards for Christmas and thought about purchasing a new control handle. I have about figured out which model ( earlier post on this site ) I want ( HARDPOINT )

but before I pick,  I would like to know what the  y1  PROS & CONS   n1   are in Finger grip handles or without ?   

I have only flown one handle and it has slight nubs not finger grips.

I have only owned one handle for 25 years and it is a yellow lead out cable adjustable Sullivan. The handle has been wrapped in tennis racket handle tape for a while to change the neutral feeling at the time.

Hopefully new handle & lines for the OS46LA  38 Special for "2013".

Any advice would be helpful as usual, 

Hurricane Cliff Ovalhead 61

To me, finger grips are only useful with static handles where you want no range of movement - like on a pistol.

If you want movement then the scallops are going to hinder that somewhat.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Cliff Henke

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 11:20:46 PM »
Talk about help, man o man !

This boards enthusiasm has gave me more motivation than a checkered flag to get off my onions.
I had to at least try to make an attempt with all the pro & cons, used to, not no more, numbers, fit, pictures, experience of trial & error with all good HUMOR !

I think you all.

Now it's 1:00 am and just coming in from the shop and have a prototype built   /DV   but the camera won't be home till Wednesday night. My wife left it at the New Years party.   n1

I used .062 sheet aluminum and raw cherry. I had no metal cutting jig blades so I hack sawed it's shape, used a file and drill. It's crude but hardpoint for sure. I could have saved about 30 grams with a lighter wood but I like the hard cherry. It weights 91 grams built and ready for lines. Is this too heavy for good flying ?   D>K

Any way, again thanks, Cliff

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 11:33:07 PM »
Regarding the weight, I'd say it's certainly useable, but the less the plane pulls, the more important light weight becomes. I'll look forward to your posting pictures...and if you have any problem doing that, just holler.  H^^ Steve

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 02:13:04 PM »
My old flying partner in Santa Cruz (Chris B.) bought a box full of OLD C/L stuff at a yard sale, among which was a kidney-shaped cast aluminum handle. It was a 'full perimeter' design, with .015" adjustable cable (single screw with wing nut)

The handle was embossed with a cast name: Japan. It was natural aluminum with the upper half of it painted bright yellow.
On the bottom was a steel 'spike', which was press-fit into the aluminum frame, about 1" long, and pointed.
Chris surmised the spike was to stick it in the ground between flights, then the handle would be upright for quick pick up.

I told him it was a Japanese Combat handle. If your opponent got overly aggressive, you could 'stick him', thus keeping the match 'fair'. (much laughter)
He used the handle once, then I reminded him of static electricity...you could get a shock from that metal handle...imagine...A crash would be imminent.

Offline Cliff Henke

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 06:44:25 PM »
I use to be able to post pictures from my computer to attachments on this site here but I have tried for 2 days to get a reaction out of the Browse option. Acts dead like me.

If you want to see the 1st Prototype Handle I've attempted, you can visit one of my personal sites for 3 pictures of the new Henke Hard Point Handle.

http://carolinaanimalmodifiedseries.com/Home_Page.html
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 05:55:35 AM by Cliff Henke »

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 07:02:55 PM »
I use to be able to post pictures from my computer to attachments on this site here but I have tried for 2 days to get a reaction out of the Browse option. Acts dead like me.

If you want to see the 1st Prototype Handle I've attempted, you can visit one of my personal sites for 3 pictures of the new Henke Hard Point.  http://www.carolinaanimalmodifiedseries.com/
Here ya go!
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Cliff Henke

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 05:44:46 AM »
Thanks Chris.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 11:41:43 AM »
Chris:

Lots of overhang on that, isn't there?
AMA 64232

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »
Chris:

Lots of overhang on that, isn't there?

Um, yes but I would focus on the fact that it is lovingly hand made and simply a prototype of things to come.

(But it does look like a Klingon battle weapon! ;D)
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Cliff Henke

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 05:34:17 PM »
Thanks again Chris, it does look like a felony don't it ? Maybe a two bladed ice scraper...................anyway it's still in the R&D stage.

Cliff

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 10:28:23 AM »
I personally like a handle with finger "scallops". The caveat is they must fit your hand! I make my own handles now and use a sanding drum on my drill press to get all the "scallops" just where they need to be to fit my hand. With that done the handle feels very comfortable and neutral in my hand. As a bonus, feels very secure; easy to grip and not like it wants to slip.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013, 11:43:15 AM »
I like a handle to have either a smooth hand grip or slight indentations that I add to fit my individual hand.  I do not like the ones with deep cutouts for the fingers and are pointed between them.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 06:27:38 AM »
Here is my version of a hard point handle.  The black dots are 220 grit wet or dry sandpaper glued to the handle for non slip grip.
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Joshua Harel

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 03:43:53 PM »
I prefer having scallops because it gives me a better feeling of securely holding the handle. Since I built it myself - the scallops are designed to fit my fingers and the handle feels very comfortable to me. I do paint my handles with "Crinkle" paint so if my hand gets oily or sweaty the handle will not slip. Here are a few pictures.

Offline Cliff Henke

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2013, 07:36:27 PM »

Interesting Joshua !  Any operational details or advantages ?      Kinda reminds me of the new $300.00 electronic slot car controllers, 1 trigger, 4 dial knobs.  Nice work. 

Thanks for sharing and have a Safe Happy 4 of July !   

Cliff

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2013, 08:46:25 PM »
David do you know what overhang is?? If not do a search on here about handle overhang. Your handle has to much overhang and it will kill the feel of the plane. Just a suggestion.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2013, 09:18:27 PM »
I think the woodwork for Marvin Denny's handle is the best of both worlds—just one scallop between index and middle finger to ensure that the handle is handed, i.e. up line to the top.

Although the original design has a cable adjustment, using Marvin's handle outline with hard point pieces like those in Tom Morris' new hard point handle or the Ted handle is worth considering. You make the one scallop to suit your own hand. Put your lanyard close to the bottom, or around the bottom arm and you should pick the handle up the right way each time.

The drawing for the Marvin handle is available in the Downloads section.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2013, 12:25:57 AM »

funny,, I complained about building enough planes for my handles,,,I built like three or four at one shot,, never had enough airplanes for the handles after that,, Tim,, do YOU have that many airplanes now,, cause that would be a good thing right?  D>K H^^
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2013, 10:11:56 AM »

anything feels light after learning to fly on a Jim Walker  U/Realy
rad racer

Offline keith varley

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2013, 08:52:34 PM »
When investing time to make handles , at least consider looking at the handle article in the excellent website of Klaus Makis. Go to the "Workshop" heading and scroll down.

http://www.clacro.de/

His handles are more shaped like the palm of your hand. I am currently using one inspired by him.and I think that it's the nicest feeling handle I have ever used.
Keith

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2013, 04:22:56 PM »
The odd thing is that 'finger grips' don't do any gripping at all here since the U shape of the handle should be more than enough to prevent slippage.

It got to be a personal thing, you either like it or you don't.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2013, 12:16:29 PM »
Howard and Steve,

Uh, just a minute while I consult ........ OK,  Here you go:    na#

That's right, keep sticking your tongue out at us! The easily predictable result will be telling the tale all over again. The next time we might even embellish the story somewhat even if such is hardly required...

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2013, 08:21:47 AM »
Had to go look myself at the pictures.   Don't know Fred's thinking, but the grain should run vertical in my thinking.   But maybe the redwood is like elm,  takes a hydraulic press to split the wood with the grain.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here