News:

• June 16, 2024, 04:02:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old Hobbies Aren't Worth Much  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Old Hobbies Aren't Worth Much
« on: July 03, 2010, 12:51:21 PM »
As I get closer to having a workshop set up for building, I am having to discard many old memories that just take up too much room.  I am going through my late father's effects, after not having opened the boxes in the 21 years since his passing.  It is very difficult, to say the least.

I am also having to dispose of many of my own treasures that are no longer used, needed or wanted.  In particular are countless pieces of HO trains that I acquired as a substitute for my airplane hobby when I gave it up in 1976.  I have boxes and boxes of rolling stock, locomotives, track, switches, power paks and accessories.  I have tried selling on Craig's list and nobody seems interested.  I have looked on ebay for similar equipment and have found that the market is flooded with HO stuff and very little is moving.

These hobby items are much too nice to just throw out.  I finally decided to give them a home by donating the entire lot to where they would be appreciated.  I went on line and looked up model train clubs and found a large one within 40 miles.  I contacted the secretary and he said they would be very happy to give my stuff a good home.  He will be here in a couple of hours.

At this point, even though the trains are worth something, I can't waste anymore time trying to sell them.  I feel good knowing they will be welcomed by a group of model train enthusiasts.

The reality slap is that things that we hold near and dear in pigeon hole hobbies rarely can be easily converted  back to cash in a short time.

More room for model airplanes! #^
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
Re: Old Hobbies Aren't Worth Much
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 02:51:12 PM »
Dick,   I have to respond to your comments on Old hobbie Stuff. George Carlin while being very funny did indeed address some of our human faults. I am referring to his remarks about Stuff. We just have too much Stuff. I have too much stuff. When I pass what is to become of it? Yes it is worth something but who wants it? It is a problem that I do not know the answer to. Well we just have to give it away. About a year ago I loaded up my van with a bunch of model stuff and drove up to Daytona with it. There I met up with Gene Martine and another man and gave it all to them. They passed it on to Boy Scouts and Church groups and also some folks who where just beginning. Soon I will have to do it again. Painful? perhaps but I need the space.  I do not miss this stuff and someone else is enjoying it. My fellow fliers also added some of there stuff and gained some room also. I think we just cannot help ourselves when it comes to collecting things we like and storing them. I am now 71 and all my stuff will someday become available. But not for sometime soon. I just had a physical and it included many tests including a stress test. The result? They said I am "normal" LOL everyone I tell this to just laughs and says, "normal, you?"

Dick good luck with your return to our wonderful sport. See you at the KOI maybe?
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 04:38:17 PM »
(snip)
Dick good luck with your return to our wonderful sport. See you at the KOI maybe?

Hi Chuck,

What are the specifics on the *next* KOI?  Where and when?

Thanks!
Bill Little
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 06:01:50 PM »
HI Dick. Do you have any brass steam locos??  I too do HO (SP) when I get bored with model planes.  H^^ y1

No, nothing brass, just plastic.  The guy was on time and everything is gone.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Bill Hodges

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 07:11:24 AM »
Bill:

The next KOI will be on Jan 14-16, 2011 at the X47 Flyer's new "Field of Dreams" flying site in St. Augustine.  This is very near the intersection of I95 and State Rd. 16.

Bill Hodges
Bill Hodges
AMA 12450

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 11:15:27 AM »
Bill:

The next KOI will be on Jan 14-16, 2011 at the X47 Flyer's new "Field of Dreams" flying site in St. Augustine.  This is very near the intersection of I95 and State Rd. 16.

Bill Hodges

Thanks, Bill!  I have never been to St. Augustine........ wish my wife would agree to go down there with me! LL~

I hope to find a way to make it.
Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 07:59:08 PM »
While trying to try and really get the new shop in order I found the HO Slot car set my son and I played with.  It got old and he started flying planes with me.  During the years it got old and needed maintenance.  I did not want to take time to set it up and get it fixed.  Asked my son if he wanted it and was told no.  Slot cars are dead in KC area, so the whole shabang went to the trash collector.  I still have the HO train set in several boxes as he got more of a kick out of it than the cars.  It is hard when it comes time to discard stuff.  But it is nice when you can find new homes for it. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline GEORGE CONNORS

• 2019 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 07:26:12 AM »
I just saw Toy Story 3 yesterday with two of my eleven grandchildren.  I think this thread is the story line of the movie.  The five and six year old girls thought most of it was funny.  In reality I thought it was sad - the toys either had to go the attic or the trash as the "kid" was now off to college.  The decision was tough and of course the movie "takes off" from there (pun intended).  Our stuff, unfortunately, will not be used by most of our off-spring and ultimately, the choice must be made.  As an aside, I notice not as many bidders or high prices on ebay. We may have waited to long to sell out!!!  Lets enjoy it while we can!!!!
george connors

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 08:29:54 AM »
I just saw Toy Story 3 yesterday with two of my eleven grandchildren.  I think this thread is the story line of the movie.  The five and six year old girls thought most of it was funny.  In reality I thought it was sad - the toys either had to go the attic or the trash as the "kid" was now off to college.  The decision was tough and of course the movie "takes off" from there (pun intended).  Our stuff, unfortunately, will not be used by most of our off-spring and ultimately, the choice must be made.  As an aside, I notice not as many bidders or high prices on ebay. We may have waited to long to sell out!!!  Lets enjoy it while we can!!!!

Hi George,

Yep, it will all have to be dealt with one day.  BUT!  I won't be around to be dealing with it! LL~  Might sound selfish, but when I'm gone, it don't matter what happens to it.  I'll just deal with it for now. ;D

Kinda reminds me of Harry Chapin's "The Cat's in the Cradle and the Silver Spoon" song.  It is exactly that way now with my oldest son.  The love is still there on both sides, just no time anymore.....   :'(

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 10:02:16 AM »
I have contended for years that some day, some modelers widow will find that she has every existing bit of model aircraft stuff in the world, and nothing to do with it!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 09:20:58 AM »
For years my wife has just said she would have a yard sale for all my Lionel trains and put a $5 each sign up... ~^  They mean nothing to her and she doesn't know anything about them or what a particular piece might be worth.  From that context, I can understand.  I lately have been feeling the need to thin the trains down... but really I just ended up building airplanes again LL~  My son loves the trains as well, so They will probably be fine provided I can "thin it down some" LL~ LL~ LL~
I've started plenty...would be nice to finish something!!!

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 10:40:45 AM »
Hello Bill,

Bill I have thought about the new digs for the KOI and I think this is going to become a favorite contest for many. Why? Well all the facilities for the women (shopping) is right there. There is also many choices on where to stay and eat. The family can opt to see the sites of St Augustine. Finally the location is great. The folks up north who are tired of the cold can drive on down and should be able to enjoy nicer weather. When the contest time ends they can do more Florida things like drive south to Disney or what ever they like. You should bring the Mrs. I think she may enjoy herself the outlet mall is huge.

Chuck
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 10:53:34 AM »
Hello Bill,

Bill I have thought about the new digs for the KOI and I think this is going to become a favorite contest for many. Why? Well all the facilities for the women (shopping) is right there. There is also many choices on where to stay and eat. The family can opt to see the sites of St Augustine. Finally the location is great. The folks up north who are tired of the cold can drive on down and should be able to enjoy nicer weather. When the contest time ends they can do more Florida things like drive south to Disney or what ever they like. You should bring the Mrs. I think she may enjoy herself the outlet mall is huge.

Chuck

Um...Chuck, I think you posted in the wrong thread.
AMA 62221

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
I tell my wife it is her insurance policy. If something happens to me, all she has to do is put an add in the paper. "Have toys, Need man".
Jim Kraft

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 05:56:36 AM »
Wrong Thread?   Hey Dick look at the fourth entry to this post. I just responded to Bills question. Then I added some thoughts about what I think the KOI could become. Tom Weedman also answered Bill's question.
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 06:02:24 AM »
Whoops it was not Tom Weedman it was Bill Hodges who answered. It pays to double check doesn't it LOL.
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 08:19:39 AM »
Collect coins. (Carefully!)

Forget stamps...

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here