News:

• April 24, 2024, 12:35:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New found source for rattle can Butyl acetate  (Read 984 times)

Offline Steve St.Martin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
New found source for rattle can Butyl acetate
« on: January 13, 2019, 08:48:07 PM »
  I work in the floral biz and a driver, for one of the largest wholesale dist in the north east.  A company called Design Master sells butyl acetate(buty-rate) in spray cans. A great find for the IC guy's who want to spray but do not have the equipment.  So far I have found them to be high in pigments and no dyes.  I remember SiG selling Randolphs in rattle cans, but sig used dyes and opacity was not good.  The cans are expensive, over 6bux wholsale. But, a can goes a long way.   I'm just starting to experiment with this product, so maybe colors may need a white base. And they do have a flat white that covers extremely well for a base.  I believe finishes could be light with this product. They also have clear, metallics, along with the solids.

https://dmcolor.com/explore/color-sprays/

Fuzz

Online Dan Berry

• Admiral
Re: New found source for rattle can Butyl acetate
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 09:43:17 PM »
We've been using DesignMaster on Free Flight planes for years. I cannot imagine that it is fuel proof but I can attest that it is light weight.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 10:12:00 PM »

Is it fuelproof would be the question.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 08:01:28 PM »
Steve,
Just and FYI a simple spray system is the Preval Spray System available at Home Depot and Amazon about $5 for a single unit. Sprays about three coats on a Nobler size ship.

Best,    DennisT

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 11:11:02 AM »
The resin in butyrate dope is cellulose butyrate, compared to cellulose nitrate(gun cotton) in nitrate dope.

Butyl acetate is part of the solvent mixture.  The website MSDS doesn't show any resin in their colors, so the final finish probably isn't fuel proof.  I've tried colored floral wraps, and they aren't fuel or solvent proof either.  With 3M-77 adhesive they can stick pretty well, and if the seams are completely sealed with epoxy they are reasonably fuel proof.

Any of the spray gloss enamels are reasonably fuel proof to exhaust but not so much to heavy, direct spills.  That needs an autobody clear cote.  The overall weight of the finish runs in the range of 1oz/100sq.in. of wing area.  The heaviest color is white(titanium dioxide) which is pretty dense.
phil Cartier

Offline Steve St.Martin

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 01:19:10 PM »
My understanding, over the years, is cellulose is the early plastic, I remember melting plastic scraps of of celluloid in acetone to make a clear glue for canopies in free flight. Early celluloid canopies were not glow fuel proof.   If I melted acetate in acetone, the mixture is fuel proof, and can be used to build acetate canopies for scale glow.   The two, cellulose and acetate are two different plastics.  Read the back of a can of randolphs(Brodak) and the fuel proof "buty-rate dope", solids are Butyl Acetate.  On a can of nitrate it is Nitrate Cellulose.   Even new buty-rate is not raw fuel proof very much over 10% notro.  The old 5% Fox Super Fuel did not seem to bother a fresh(er) finish.  I'm glad I am totally electric. But, the pigmentation is why I tried it.  I suspect many will clear coat anyway.

We've been using DesignMaster on Free Flight planes for years. I cannot imagine that it is fuel proof but I can attest that it is light weight.

Yes, it seems to by very high in pigment. That good to know others have discovered it in modeling.  I plan on using it when I paint the Ares.

Fuzz

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 06:40:21 AM »
This could be a great product depending on how it goes on.

Satin finish is great for the 2K clear coat finish.

A quick test will show how the paint works giving a clean tape edge.

Plenty of color choices! I'll say.

I'll give it a try.

Thanks for sharing.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here