News:

• May 02, 2024, 01:29:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Forum: "Online Judging Clinic"  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
New Forum: "Online Judging Clinic"
« on: June 28, 2009, 06:50:28 PM »
Just below the Rules Forum is the new Judging Clinic Forum. Looks like I'm the moderater, tho I suggested a couple of others. I've put up the description of each maneuver as taken from the rule book (copied & pasted), but not the official errors lists. The idea here is to get it from the side of the circle, not the text book.

That's where y'all come in. We'll discuss common errors, unusual errors, etc. Also techniques that experienced judges use to help them evaluate each trick. I wanted to keep the maneuvers in order per the rules, but the software won't allow that. It looks like all I can do is pin the first post to the top of the forum. I put the link to the AMA rules on that post. There's a lot there, other than the maneuvers.

It's my intent to add all of the procedural rules to the list of posts, so we'll get to discuss all the trivia that causes Judges grief. We'll copy and paste those sections of the rules from the AMA site soon. This should help all Judges and contestants learn all the rules, and might help fliers avoid some of the errors discussed. Better flying and better judging should result, it says here in fine print. I hope so. Come and visit!  H^^ Steve
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 08:55:21 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: New Forum: "Online Judging Clinic"
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 08:30:29 AM »
Thank you Steve.    DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 10:01:19 AM »
I dont see the "rules forum". I think ths is a good idea for a forum. how do I get in?

Greg
Beating the crap out of the ground, one airplane at a time

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 03:18:32 AM »
you don't see it because you didnt ask to? Send a PM with ama number.
AMA 12366

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 07:11:56 AM »
I had to let my AMA membership lapse. The last two years were not good for me. I hope I get my old number back when I join back up.

So, no current AMA #, no rules forum, no link to the judgeing clinic forum, right?   :(

Greg
Beating the crap out of the ground, one airplane at a time

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 07:29:12 AM »
Correct. If you can't see the Rules forum you can't see the Judging forum. Sorry.
AMA 12366

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 08:47:40 PM »
I owe Linda Brainard an apology, because I told her she was welcome, early this AM! Sparky...would you please get Linda ok'd ASAP?

I didn't think about others not being able to 'see' the Judging Clinic Forum, because I can see it fine, having the official okie-dokie to post on the Rules Forum. So, you'll need to send Sparky one of those Private Messages. In Greg's case, I would think previous history should qualify him. We know who he is, that he's level headed and not much of a rabble-rouser, plus where to track him down, if needed... VD~ LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 08:25:24 AM »
So simple to get on.  Send full name and AMA number to Sparky.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 09:41:26 AM »
I sent my full name and AMA number when this was first mentioned and nothing has happened yet so I can see it.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 11:30:56 AM »
Nothing happend because you sent it to the wrong place. I will not approve anyone that does not send a PM through this web server. You must send me a message HERE ON STUNT HANGAR!

Not to my email.
AMA 12366

Offline Juan Carlos Pesce

• AMA Member
  • Ensign
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 03:52:25 PM »
I do not know the reasons by which who does not have the AMA number, cannot see "rules forum" nor "judging forum"

Can you explain that for me?

Thanks in advance

Juan Carlos Pesce
Buenos Aires
Argentina

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 04:14:09 PM »
Its tied in with our rules forum. Some do not want to see this. Also If your not a AMA member why would you input into our rules. I want to keep the bickering down. If you have a FAI stamp from your country and would like admittance Please send me a PM with your number.

Running this forum is like herding CATS
AMA 12366

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 04:16:12 PM »
It's due to "Robert's Rules of Order" (Robert Storick's, that is).  Some forum members have a history of just complaining about the rules, or starting arguments when a logical discussion is in order. There are 5 forums that are open to anybody, and many more that require (free) membership. All that entails is giving your real name and AMA number...don't know if there is a solution for non-USA participants...but a "Private Message" to Robert (aka Sparky)  would be a good start.

As the instigator of the Judging Clinic Forum, I was more than a little surprised to find out that it's one that requires 'joining', but it does make some sense, too. I must add, that we're discussing Judging as it applies to AMA contests...and while we are coming closer to the FAI rules, they're definitely not the same. The pattern is the same, but the operating rules are a tad different. Reading the posts could benefit your flying and scores, I'd bet.  

Maybe eventually, we will welcome and discuss the FAI Judging regs, but not at this time! I think it would be good to allow folks to "see" all the forums, but not post in all of them until they 'join'. I believe people who join under an alias are Robert's biggest worry and cause the most problems for us Terminators...er, I mean Moderators.  LL~ Steve

Offline Juan Carlos Pesce

• AMA Member
  • Ensign
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 06:56:35 AM »
Thanks Robert and Steve,

It is not my intention to bring about unnecessary discussions.
I am not competing in acrobatics, I am only a judge in PA contests.
My intention is to increase my knowledge on judging of acrobatics competitions, especially in AMA rules.

Yours truly

Juan Carlos Pesce
Buenos Aires
Argentina

Offline keith varley

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 10:20:35 AM »
How about us members of M.A.A.C.?  Wel fly by AMA rules at all American contests.Some of us help with the judging at AMA events. Can I get in to the forum?   It just feels bad being excluded .
Keith Varley

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 01:35:09 PM »
Well Robert, my good man, that's where the $%^*&%$ I sent it.  So quit yelling at me already
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 06:03:14 PM »
Well Robert, my good man, that's where the $%^*&%$ I sent it.  So quit yelling at me already

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?board=67.0
AMA 12366

Offline Neil Rogers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 10:21:41 PM »
I'll ask the same question that Keith did.  Can M.A.A.C. members have access to the forum?

Neil Rogers
M.A.A.C. 8771

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 11:45:49 PM »
Me 3..    How about us members of M.A.A.C.?

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 11:00:12 AM »
I'm sure Robert will respond favourably (note Canada-ish spelling!) IF you send him a Private Message with your real name and MAAC, SMAE, etc., number. He's trying to keep a few disruptive folks out, and yet I'm the Terminator, so I'm pretty confused...  LL~ Steve

PS: Anybody not know how to send a PM? I'll help...just send me a PM... VD~
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 01:08:27 PM by Steve Helmick »

Offline Jerry Leuty

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 02:13:10 PM »
Well I am kinda new to all of this on line discussion forum stuff and how to get registered or even send a PM to Sparky. So if this is not what you are wanting then please post the avenue so that I may get in. I love flying in contests but will never be more than an Intermediate flier I don't think. I also enjoy judging and I always want to improve both my flying and especially my judging skills. I do not do politics. I am too old for that sort of thing. It is all black and white and the judge's call is final. The halo effect left me long ago and I score the maneuver as I thought I saw it. Now I am ready to begin stunt judging class.

Jerry R. Leuty
AMA 61539

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »
Jerry...Go up to Robert Storick's post and click on his name. This will bring up his "Profile". Scroll down, and where it says "Send Private Message to this Member", click there. It's just an 'internal' email sorta thang. All you need is your real name and AMA #. For you Canadians, the MAAC # will work. Australia, MAAA, etc. Hurry, before he leaves St. Louis for the NATS.  I look forward to seeing all y'all on the Judging Clinic Forum!  y1 Steve

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 07:25:20 PM »
All you need is your real name and AMA #. For you Canadians, the MAAC # will work. Australia, MAAA, etc. Hurry, before he leaves St. Louis for the NATS. 

I am at the NATS.
AMA 12366

Alan Hahn

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 07:46:22 PM »
One item I note is missing from the forum is "Appearance Judging". Seems like it would be useful to have some guidance on this aspect of AMA rules.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 09:33:32 PM »
It's on the list of things 2 do, Alan!  :) Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here