News:

• April 26, 2024, 12:35:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Dixon 'Tornado' Stunter Profile Kit  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Jim Catevenis

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
New Dixon 'Tornado' Stunter Profile Kit
« on: June 26, 2018, 09:14:43 AM »
“Tornado “   Profile Stunter
This is a simple profile C/L stunt design based on Sig Twister aerodynamics, but styled to resemble the Edge 540 full scale aerobatic plane (…the Twister was styled after the early Stephens Akro).

The Tornado kit features pre-sheeted foam wing, other parts cut to shape from contest balsa and ply wood, 2 piece aluminum landing gear, and flap/elevator joiners. You supply your favorite hardware items.  Full size plan included.
Specs:   48” wing span
               490 sq. in.
               .29 to .40 engines ( Fox, FP, Brodak, etc.)
               Design wt. 35-42 oz.
               Price   $150.00  plus   $20 USA shipping

Tom Dixon
Controline Sales, LLC
315 Santa Anita Ave.
Woodstock, GA. 30189
770-592-3279
Visa and MC accepted
JCAT

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: New Dixon 'Tornado' Stunter Profile Kit
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 09:24:03 AM »
“Tornado “   Profile Stunter
This is a simple profile C/L stunt design based on Sig Twister Rabe MUSTUNT aerodynamics, but styled to resemble the Edge 540 full scale aerobatic plane (…the Twister was styled after the early Stephens Akro).

Fixed that for you.

Brett

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 08:37:23 PM »

How about a look at the design?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 08:44:43 PM »
Didn't Allen Brickhaus have an airplane published named "Tornado"?  IIRC, it was a simple full fuselage Twister.  Larry Lindberg was featured in the article.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Jim Catevenis

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 09:52:40 AM »
For those of you who think that the Sig Twister was derived from Al Rabe's Mustunt I, I have the Mustunt I and the Sig Twister plans.  The plans are $10.00 each plus $3.00 postage.  Order both sets and make your own comparisons.

Tom Dixon
(770) 529-3279
JCAT

Offline Chris Sarnowski

• Ensign

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 02:13:51 PM »
For those of you who think that the Sig Twister was derived from Al Rabe's Mustunt I, I have the Mustunt I and the Sig Twister plans.  The plans are $10.00 each plus $3.00 postage.  Order both sets and make your own comparisons.

The similarities between the Mustunt I and the Twister are very definitely there. 
See the attached drawing of the Mustunt, Twister, Fancherized Twister and RD-1 neatly all stacked together.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 06:55:19 PM »
All arguments aside, I'd expect you'd get more kits sold if you'd post a picture of the prototype. It is also a bit weird having posting by proxy.

Tom's designs have a good reputation for flying well, plus I have flown his "Magnum Plus" (scratch-built, trimmed, campaigned and renamed "Mutant Magnum" by Dirty Dan). FINE flying design. So, I would not be too concerned about that. I have no idea about the quality or build weight of Tom's kits from personal experience.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 09:23:50 PM »
The similarities between the Mustunt I and the Twister are very definitely there. 
See the attached drawing of the Mustunt, Twister, Fancherized Twister and RD-1 neatly all stacked together.

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure Mike Gretz's Twister design had nothing to do with the Rabe Mustunt. Everything, including the airfoil, is completely different between the two.

Wayne Willey

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »
   I think you are right Wayne. There are differences in airfoil thickness and at least one of the moments -tail ? maybe nose also- I don't have the plans any longer, hard to remember, but they are different. Maybe BRETT can explain in more detail. Is there some kind of story behind it? Or, maybe Al Rabe could explain the relationship if there is one. I don't have to know, because they were and are great flying designs!
    Doug         

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 02:14:04 PM »
  As far as I know and can remember, there is no relation ship to the Mustunt series and the SIG Twister. The Twister was designed by Mike Gretz. It may have made the scene before Al Rabe's Mustunt aricle appeared in American Aircraft Modeler in February of 1973. I don't know if the two ever even met. Mike was a great designer in his own right as is Mr Rabe, as we all know. The Mustunt article is well worth reading and plans for the three airplane are available on line in several forms.  The Mustunt was presented, in my opinion, as a series of airplanes to take a person through the learning steps for advancing in C/L stunt. The models had similarities with each other and advanced in complexity from I through III. The basis of Mr Rabe's design, building and flying philosophies can be seen in the articles.
   The Twister is a very well known design intended as a light, easy to build stunt trainer. We all know of the many, many modifications that have been made to the design over the years, but I believe it is a very capable design built stock right out of the box. Alan Brickhaus' Tornado was intended as a second or third step for a new stunt pilot that may have already built a flown a stock Twister or two and using the same wing for familiarity and simplicity and mating it to a full fuselage, along the lines of the Mustunt series.. This is almost a natural step and one that is sometimes overlooked by some.
   There is a ton of great model designs out there in kit and plan form.They are all good planes that will perform for the builder if they are built straight and true, or they wouldn't be offered up for sale. There are some out there that are looking for the ONE model that will make them the next NATS champion, but the truth of the matter is that if they were given Paul Walker's best airplane , they would still be at the level they are at. There are some that can take a great kit and just  "plane" screw it up! As far as I am concerned, there are no "bad" airplanes. Just pick the one that suits your personal taste and budget, build it,  and go have some fun!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 03:14:46 PM »
To my eyes, the airfoil similarities are there.  Could be a case of concurrent development.  Who knows.  The mustunt was published before the twister.  Who's to say where inspiration comes from.  They're both good planes. 

I'm sure Dixon's Edge 540 twister will look cool as well.

Al Rabe's comments on the similarities:
http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=set_linear_mode&forum=103&page=&topic_id=39914&prev_page=show_topic

https://stunthanger.com/smf/classic-planes/mustunt/msg19798/#msg19798
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 04:47:52 PM »
   At a quick glance, the airfoils seem similar but are really different. The Twister uses a 1/2" square stick for a leading edge, and the Mustunt I uses 1/4" and that makes for a vastly different radius on each. The Twister L.E. can be made more rounded and blunt without a lot of work. The high point for the twister is further forward also, once you look at them closely. The Twister Airfoil is probably closer to the RD-1 but that model is smaller and doesn't it have a slightly tapered wing? I don't have any plans for that one to compare, just the side views Brent posted. All good models, all will work well for anyone that puts in a bit of effort. Just a matter of personal taste in over all appeal.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 09:11:41 PM »
To my eyes, the airfoil similarities are there.

Yes, they are similar, round on the front and pointy on the rear.  ;D

Sure would be nice to get a look at this new Tornado design. 

Wayne Willey

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 09:42:21 PM »
   Wayne, I think Tom just finished the drawings. I imagine Jim will post them as soon as he gets them from Dixon. Hopefully Tom will have them at the Nat's. If he does I'll try to send a snap-shot to the Hanger.
   Doug

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 10:15:55 PM »
   Wayne, I think Tom just finished the drawings. I imagine Jim will post them as soon as he gets them from Dixon. Hopefully Tom will have them at the Nat's. If he does I'll try to send a snap-shot to the Hanger.
   Doug

Sounds good Joseph, just curious.

Wayne Willey

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here