News:

• April 16, 2024, 02:47:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Navy vs. UFOs....  (Read 5968 times)

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Navy vs. UFOs....
« on: June 21, 2019, 07:12:20 PM »
What?  No comments on the story in the news?

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Navy vs. UFOs....
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 08:15:58 PM »

Huh? What story?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 09:36:30 AM »
I'm waiting until someone comes up with a clear, non-fuzzy photo of a UFO.  Does everyone have cameras with poor lenses that do not focus?
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 02:32:29 PM »
I'm waiting until someone comes up with a clear, non-fuzzy photo of a UFO.  Does everyone have cameras with poor lenses that do not focus?

It is obvious that people who want to laugh and make snide remarks about this phenomena do not know and have never studied the real evidence for the reality we are confronting here.  I would suggest that if you want to make fun of something you don't know anything about, that it is time for you to take a good look at the hard evidence and then see if you still want to laugh.  I have been aware of this subject since I was 12 years old (1952), have studied the hard evidence over the years. I personally know two persons in my family who have seen these things close up enough to know that this phenomena is certainly "from somewhere else".  Do the research ............. then laugh, if you can.  ......  D>K

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 06:52:15 PM »
I don't make fun of UFOs.  Let's say, I will believe  if and only if there is conclusive proof... and not from those "Ufologists" whio earn a good salary on TV.  What we now have is just verbal accounts, and fuzzy pictures, which purports to show something.

Enrico Fermi once commented about UFOs  "If they exist, where are they?"

Carl Sagan convinced me that the probability of life elsewhere is nearly certain.

When one taps me on the shoulder, I will join the ranks of true believers.

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 09:29:15 PM »
Same goes for pictures/video of that ever-elusive Sasquatch. I do wish those that see them could afford better cameras.

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 10:21:03 PM »

That bloke in the middle definately looks ALIEN .

Actually , 601 Sqn. R.A.F. City of London . Squadron Code " U F " , so its no wonder the od " UF O " pops up .

" No. 601 (County of London) Squadron was a squadron of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force, based in London.The squadron battle honours most notably include the Battle of Britain, and the first Americans to fly in the Second World War were members of this squadron. "

Actually thought post refered to recent fireworks elsewhere in the night skys , but think a conflgeration there would be all consuming . Weve got a lot to thank those Chinese for ,
What with inventing Fireworks and Guns and all . :P

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 10:27:00 PM »
What?  No comments on the story in the news?

So anyway, what's "the story"?

Wayne Willey

Offline qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 03:37:25 AM »
So anyway, what's "the story"?

Basically the story is that a bunch of dudes have put together a sensationalist, low quality, poorly researched TV documentary series on supposed USN UFO sightings for the "true believers". The recent sudden media interest would be part of the hype campaign before it's formal release.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 05:47:46 AM »
Basically the story is that a bunch of dudes have put together a sensationalist, low quality, poorly researched TV documentary series on supposed USN UFO sightings for the "true believers". The recent sudden media interest would be part of the hype campaign before it's formal release.

Bing-Bing-Bing-Bing-Bing!  Good Guess!

Step right up son and claim your cupey doll!

History Channel and the New York Times.  Why would you ever doubt them?  But the interesting part was the fusion of sensor systems that the Navy is now using on their warships that combines input from various sources and ensures that the F-18s have the full picture of what is going on.  So, just how good is the Super Hornet because of this?  I was just surprised there have been no comments on this, considering it is at the core of the story.

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 03:35:08 PM »
Same goes for pictures/video of that ever-elusive Sasquatch. I do wish those that see them could afford better cameras.

Andre

I stand by my comments above, not only for the UFO smirkers, but the Sasquatch smirkers as well.  I happen to know more about the Sasquatch phenomenon than I would like to through personal contacts with eye witnesses, but enough said.  ......   n1  ......   D>K

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 04:02:12 PM »
The video came out last year didn't it?

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 05:55:52 PM »
Remember that old parlor game?  Someone whispers a story in the ear of the person next to him.  In turn, that person whispers that sotry to the next person.  And so on down the line.

At the end person, the story is totally changed; morphed into a different story.

Question everything!

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 07:36:48 PM »
               It is obvious that people who want to laugh and make snide remarks about this phenomena do not know and have never studied the real evidence for the reality we are confronting here.  I would suggest that if you want to make fun of something you don't know anything about, that it is time for you to take a good look at the hard evidence and then see if you still want to laugh.  I have been aware of this subject since I was 12 years old (1952), have studied the hard evidence over the years. I personally know two persons in my family who have seen these things close up enough to know that this phenomena is certainly "from somewhere else".  Do the research ............. then laugh, if you can.  ......  D>K

Several years ago I met one of the F-18 pilots that made one the recent reports of seeing a UFO. Both our daughters belonged to the same sorority at UCLA. He did not seem like a crazy person then.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 07:46:48 PM »
I had decided a couple days ago not to respond to this thread, but for those who are interested specifically in the big hype on the Navy video, let me add a bit of info. I ask Floyd's indulgence, because he doesn't like some of my "long" answers, and Tom's forbearance. I am not trying to deride anyone's firmly held belief in phenomena. Let's just stick to the popular Navy video.

I’m fairly familiar with the design, construction and testing of the F/A-18 electro-optical sensor that allegedly took some of the imagery currently being shown on the internet. It was produced by my company and I worked on a lot of different types of these systems, among other things. The video appears consistent with operation of the system with known characteristics. For example, if you follow a jet with a large exhaust plume and image in MWIR, you get diffused thermal bloom. The camera is not out of focus. It is looking through heated air which refracts the infrared light. Then add any defocus of the system to that. If the system has a range-based autofocus, you need to get it to lock onto the target at the range it is at, not onto the other 99% of the object(s)/background in the frame. An edge sharpening focus system won’t work on a scene like this. There is no sharp edge to work with. This is nothing like your sophisticated handheld photograph camera.

There are a lot of other physics involved, such as operating in black hot mode. This makes more sense if you are familiar with a lot of the false color images taken of astronomical objects. JPL creates some super nice images doing this. Go look at Hubble data. The human brain can handle more data when it is in the form of color than black and white (such as 8 BIT/256 grayscale), so they process it to assign each grayscale number a color—hence, a false color image. So, for an IR detector operating in black hot mode, it is like looking at a negative of a picture. It is harder to read and understand. People have to learn to recognize things. Beyond that, an infrared image is not like looking at a visible image. It has certain huge advantages and some disadvantages that you have to work around.

I’d love to see the raw video data off the system…along with the tracking and gimbal data. Saying that the object mysteriously rotates may be one of the artifacts of the system. The detectors rotate within the system to derotate the image caused by gimbal angle changes. In one of the videos, you can see what appears to be ringing in the roll stabilization.

If you listen and believe much of the commentary on the news, you are simply wasting your time. On one news station, they showed this infrared imagery and the anchor called it radar. The “technical expert” they brought in didn’t blink an eye. Then by extension, that allowed them to talk about radar upgrades being a possible cause of the supposedly higher rate of UFO reports—even though what they were reporting on was old MWIR video. Radar imagery is entirely different. I had a question I heard once somewhere that I’d ask newbie engineers who were learning systems like these and were attributing image artifacts to totally bogus sources:  “Did you bring your lunch, or cross the bridge?”  Of course, the question made no sense, and had no good answer. But it was a useful way to remind us all that we needed to start with the data we had, and to work towards logical conclusions. Things we could test. That way, it took the least effort to fix what was wrong with the hardware, so we could ship it back to the customer. Otherwise it is kind of like taking your car to a mechanic and telling him the engine is overheating—so he starts work on the air conditioner.

So, what was the Navy looking at? I’d really like to know. I’d also like to know when the aliens get here so we should definitely keep an eye out. If they do show up, my bet is that humans won’t survive that encounter. Meantime, when things can be properly investigated and attributed, we nearly always find human sources. I accept the fact that investigations like these are never going to change some people’s minds. I don’t mean to upset anyone, or lose any friends over this. But if engineers can test a thing and identify exactly what the image artifacts are—and trust me, some of them are unexpected and bizarre to non-sensor designers--then any further discussion of more mysterious causes is wrong, it misleads people who are not familiar with how the technology works, and quite honestly is wasting some of the precious hours I hope I have left on this earth. I have spent many, many hours being paid to routinely isolate and fix issues just like this. No UFOs yet, but definitely some Iraqi missile launchers that they could not find in the first Gulf war....

Without the raw video data and the telemetry data, and access to the actual pod the Navy took this with, it is not conclusive to say exactly what imagery contains.

Dave

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 08:14:43 PM »
Thanks for a serious explanation Dave.  Not too long at all.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 11:54:08 PM »
I've seen some clear, sharp,  and very convincing pictures of a squadron of flying saucers, and I've seen a few Sasquatches. The pictures were actually of reflections of the light fixtures on the terminal window at Pullman-Moscow Municipal circa 1960, but the Sasquatches were at Walmart.   H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline WR Crane aka MrClean

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 06:44:06 AM »
There is a whole series on YouTube entitled UFO that was put together by that noted documentarian Gerry Anderson back in the 70's.  Very compelling.

The thing is, it takes such vast amounts of energy to move from one life supporting solar system to another one that to only buzz around in the back ground and occasionally give Bubba the Love Sponge an Anal probe somewhere out in the middle of Bumpkiss and nowhere that to do so makes absolutely no sense whatsover.  To continue doing so for 100's or thousands of years?

And EVERYONE has a camera in their pockets now but the only videos we get of "Flying Saucers" doing fantastic manuevers are the same diamond shape of the cameras aperture when overzoomed on a light source and the radical manuevers a result of the cameraman breathing.   The navy can't keep up with an unmanned, supersonic or hypersonic drone?   Good, someone is doing their job in research somewhere hopefully keeping us safe. 

Aliens from another dimension?  Whatever they wanted here they could take and not a damned thing we'd be able to do about it if they employ the powers necessary to travel here.  Are there other civilizations in the Universe?  Statistically it's not only possible it's rather impossible to not be.  But, intelligent life?  Not every lifeform is going to be intelligent SO in an infinite universe any number less then infinty is as near as zero a make no difference, so there is NO intelligent life in the Universe.  Which is easily demonstrated by Bubba and his proclivities to hang out on abandoned county roads, probably close to an unguarded bathroom.

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 12:18:53 PM »
Dave  ... it appears from the video that the "electro-optical sensor" locks onto something and tracks it.  Doesn't that imply that it found a solid object and is not tracking an optical artifact?  Assuming there is some radar involved in the tracking.

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 02:26:32 PM »
I've seen some clear, sharp,  and very convincing pictures of a squadron of flying saucers, and I've seen a few Sasquatches. The pictures were actually of reflections of the light fixtures on the terminal window at Pullman-Moscow Municipal circa 1960, but the Sasquatches were at Walmart.   H^^ Steve

Well Steve, it looks like you have solved two mysteries in one post ............. well done, my friend.    ....   LL~    LL~    LL~   (then again, there just may be more to these phenomena than meets your eye.)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 08:19:52 PM »
...but the Sasquatches were at Walmart.   H^^ Steve

Ha! I'm not sure I've ever made a trip to Walmart without seeing one.

Wayne Willey

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 11:42:11 PM »
                          I stand by my comments above, not only for the UFO smirkers, but the Sasquatch smirkers as well.  I happen to know more about the Sasquatch phenomenon than I would like to through personal contacts with eye witnesses, but enough said.  ......   n1  ......   D>K

By all means, enlighten us about the Sasquatch phenomenon. I’m sure you must have clear pictures or film to share of this elusive creature that has managed to evade modern technology for the last 75 years.
No pics?
Ok then, maybe a pic or two of of someplace it has inhabited like a cave or camp or something.
Oh, nothing like that either?
How about any real evidence at all other than a few nitwits/attention seekers that claim they saw one?
There is absolutely ZERO/NIL/NADA provable evidence that there’s any such creature roaming the forests. NO pics, no live or dead examples, no traces of homes or camps, no unexplained sightings, no weird unexplained fur, no footprints, nothing.
I’m by no means an expert on the subject, but it’s appears every time someone offers a reasonable, real world explanation for all this so called evidence, the Sasquatch believers stick their fingers in their ears and just keep claiming irrefutable proof. It’s nonsense.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 12:07:39 AM by Clint Ormosen »
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 10:55:01 AM »
Ha! I'm not sure I've ever made a trip to Walmart without seeing one.

I have visited many Wal-Marts across the country, I can assure you that all manner of cryptids exist and can be documented.

Clint is wrong, there was an entire TV series on that bastion of hard science, the Discovery Channel, where some guys went all Blair Witch out in the woods, and every stray sound was identified as a "'squatch". It was on right after the ancient aliens show, and before the "Knights Templar brought the holy grail to North America and the indians are the lost tribe of the Jews" show. Besides, sasquatch was documented in 1976 in a documentary series about advanced prothetics, "The Six Million Dollar Man".

Brett

proof positive:

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2019, 11:20:31 AM »
For those that may not know of him, he was "prefessnal rassler" on TV. LL~ LL~ LL~

Not to mention "Fezzik the Giant".

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2019, 11:21:09 AM »

Actually, I think it would be really cool if Sasquatch existed. I have watched many videos and listened to their treatise. I do find the idea of their existence intriguing.

However, I'm not taking some pixelated, shaky, nondescript video or someone saying "Nuh-uh! They're real!!" as proof. Surely, by now, there would be hard evidence if they actually existed.

Andre

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2019, 11:25:11 AM »
Maybe its just a big guy that needs to see a barber?

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2019, 11:59:05 AM »
Actually, I think it would be really cool if Sasquatch existed. I have watched many videos and listened to their treatise. I do find the idea of their existence intriguing.

However, I'm not taking some pixelated, shaky, nondescript video or someone saying "Nuh-uh! They're real!!" as proof. Surely, by now, there would be hard evidence if they actually existed.

Andre

Then get educated.............think for yourself after you know the evidence.  It is there and it is accessable for any serious researcher. ......  D>K ...  H^^

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2019, 12:04:37 PM »
SHADO has been taking care of the UFO problem since 1974.
Steve

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2019, 08:00:15 PM »
SHADO has been taking care of the UFO problem since 1974.

More specifically, girls with silvery purple wigs, and a random assemblage of nondescript British B-list actors have been taking care of the UFO problem since 1974.

Brett

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2019, 11:29:20 PM »
I don't believe that, Brett. The photo is not blurry enough. L

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2019, 11:54:32 PM »
I don't believe that, Brett. The photo is not blurry enough. L

Those are just the ladies of the Moon base, there is a very large secret organization (some might say conspiracy...) to stop these vile aliens kidnapping people for spare parts.

I really shouldn't show this, but....

Any resemblance of the George Adamski alien scout ship, and the top of this common Sears lantern of the same era, is strictly coincidental.

Or maybe the aliens *PLANTED* the ads in our historical database, and then did mass brainwashing to convince us all we had seen it, and then manufactured similar lanters to place around as "proof".

Actually,  how do I know anything in the world is real, and not an alien misdirection campaign?!

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Bigfoot goes to a barber!
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2019, 12:19:11 AM »
Maybe its just a big guy that needs to see a barber?

I am glad you brought that up, since I think I have solved the mystery. It was staring us in the face the whole time!

Before

After

Brett

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2019, 05:27:30 AM »
Good one Brett!!  LL~

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2019, 06:59:41 AM »
Brett, you just won the event! (Whatever that was.) LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ H^^ H^^ H^^
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2019, 07:49:26 PM »
By all means, enlighten us about the Sasquatch phenomenon. I’m sure you must have clear pictures or film to share of this elusive creature that has managed to evade modern technology for the last 75 years.
No pics?
Ok then, maybe a pic or two of of someplace it has inhabited like a cave or camp or something.
Oh, nothing like that either?
How about any real evidence at all other than a few nitwits/attention seekers that claim they saw one?
There is absolutely ZERO/NIL/NADA provable evidence that there’s any such creature roaming the forests. NO pics, no live or dead examples, no traces of homes or camps, no unexplained sightings, no weird unexplained fur, no footprints, nothing.
I’m by no means an expert on the subject, but it’s appears every time someone offers a reasonable, real world explanation for all this so called evidence, the Sasquatch believers stick their fingers in their ears and just keep claiming irrefutable proof. It’s nonsense.

above applies to GOD, Jesus, Buddha, Ala et all.        so what's your point?  people can believe what they want.

In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2019, 10:50:21 AM »

Just for fun .............  D>K   ,,,,,,,    H^^

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2019, 11:08:18 AM »
above applies to GOD, Jesus, Buddha, Ala et all.        so what's your point?  people can believe what they want.

No, religious figures are a fundamentally different phenomenon. No one expects to go out in the woods, looking around, and find the physical God, check his vital signs. Religious figures are transcendent and intangible by their nature, you don't expect to and cannot find them in the physical world. So the lack of any physical evidence is to be expected, there is none, by definition. You either believe, or you don't, it doesn't even make sense to demand physical evidence.

Bigfoot, on the other hand, is said to be a physical species, just as tangible and concrete as any other, governed by the same forces every other physical creature is governed by. Some people propose that bigfeet are remnant populations of previously-thought-extinct hominids - closer relation to us than a chimp.  The theory is that a sufficiently concerted search effort would turn him and his buddies up, all you have to do is look harder. In that case, you would expect some unambiguous physical evidence to exist, and near utter lack unambigious evidence is telling.  Same with any other cryptid. There is far better evidence for the continued existence of the Tasmanian Tiger (thylacine), and we know for sure that they actually existed in the not-distant past, and as far as anyone can tell, not a bunch of people promoting known hoaxes - which dominate sasquatch research.    Same with alien saucers.

In these cases, it's quite reasonable to expect some evidence before you conclude such things exists, and "believing" shouldn't even enter into it.

Brett
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 01:04:04 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2019, 12:36:13 PM »
When Arthur C Clarke was asked about Bigfoot, he suggested he would believe it when someone shot one and brought it in strapped to the hood of their car.  Environmentalist wackos were horrified!
Steve

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2019, 01:48:55 PM »
Isn't the Tasmanian Tiger one of the animals that researchers are trying to "bring back"?  I'm more interested in Whooly Mammoths.  But I guess a Tasmanian Tiger would do in a pinch.

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2019, 04:07:05 PM »
This person lived a few miles from me. He also had some tiny people (Leprechauns) living in a hole in the bush on his former property.He currently resides in a nursing home and is "not all there".

Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2019, 04:10:50 PM »

In these cases, it's quite reasonable to expect some evidence before you conclude such things exists, and "believing" shouldn't even enter into it.

Brett

Bigfoot exists. And he likes beef jerky.
I have seen the documentaries on the TV.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2019, 06:38:52 PM »
So, if sasquatch really don't exist, where did he get that really great picture on his business card?  Huh?  Huh?

Offline qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2019, 08:12:04 PM »
Isn't the Tasmanian Tiger one of the animals that researchers are trying to "bring back"?  I'm more interested in Whooly Mammoths.  But I guess a Tasmanian Tiger would do in a pinch.

They were attempting to sequence the DNA of the baby Tasmanian Tiger specimens held suspended in preserving fluid in various museums.  I gather that the attempts weren't successful.  So they can't really bring the species back. There was a creditable sighting of a TT by a Tasmanian Park Ranger a few decades ago in the Northern Wilderness, but nothing since. For the species to survive they need a population. Maybe a few survived the 1940's, but probably all dead now.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2019, 08:46:28 PM »
This person lived a few miles from me. He also had some tiny people (Leprechauns) living in a hole in the bush on his former property.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2019, 09:18:22 PM »
The guys that did the model flying scenes for the sasquatch beef jerky commercial were Tony Naccarato and Dave Dawson. You could ask either of them if they know where the 'Foot hangs out. From their descriptions of the filming, almost everyone hangs around the catering trucks most of the time. They almost missed out on that though, because they were recharging flight batteries during lunch....

Divot McSlow

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2019, 09:33:38 PM »
They were attempting to sequence the DNA of the baby Tasmanian Tiger specimens held suspended in preserving fluid in various museums.  I gather that the attempts weren't successful.  So they can't really bring the species back.

I think they were essentially successful on the sequencing*, but you are right, this is a long way from bringing it back. Most of the de-extinction plans involve placing eggs with the DNA replaced into a near-relative. I can't think of anything close to a thylacine that they could use, maybe a wallaby or Tasmanian devil (who have their own issues...) but hard to say how that would work after birth. All it would take is one missing protein and, dead thylacine.

Mammoth's and mastodons, that could probably work, if they had the DNA - which they don't.

Brett

*https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/12/thylacine-genome-extinct-tasmanian-tiger-cloning-science/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 08:49:30 AM by Brett Buck »

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2019, 01:41:07 PM »

Something for the "hard core doubters" ...............check this out ............. fascinating stuff.  ......   D>K  ......   H^^

https://www.boblazar.com/

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2019, 05:25:35 PM »
Not to mention "Fezzik the Giant".

Inconceivable!!

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2019, 05:46:03 PM »

Something for the "hard core doubters" ...............check this out ............. fascinating stuff.  ......   D>K  ......   H^^

https://www.boblazar.com/

Also fascinating: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Robert_Lazar

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2019, 06:30:52 PM »
... it takes such vast amounts of energy to move from one life supporting solar system to another one that to only buzz around in the back ground and occasionally give Bubba the Love Sponge an Anal probe somewhere...
Good point. And I'd like to add that there is likely nothing here for them to want(raw materials-wise), that isn't already rich in nebulae and other clouds and bodies just floating around in the "empty" space between them and us. We're made of all the same stuff that the rest of the universe is.
Rusty
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 09:10:59 PM by RknRusty »
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here