News:

• May 05, 2024, 05:11:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Unsung Hero of the day  (Read 1990 times)

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Unsung Hero of the day
« on: July 31, 2019, 02:45:04 PM »
Unsung Hero of the Day

No matter what part of life we are focusing on at any given time, there are those involved who give of themselves in an unselfish manner to help make things go more smoothly. These are the unsung heroes of life. They are present in all endeavors, and one of their distinguishing characteristics is the fact that they rarely, if ever, call attention to themselves.

In our hobby/sport unsung heroes abound. They may be the Contest Directors, the Event Directors, the Judges, the Tabulators, the Score Runners, the Field Maintenance Personnel, the Clean Up Crew when everyone goes home after the flying, or someone who just loves the hobby/sport to the point of sacrificing their own enjoyment just to ensure that others have a pleasant experience. And, we all know someone who fits one, many, or all of the above listed definitions.

I believe it is time that we give a shout out to the Unsung Heroes in our midst. They may never receive a trophy for being a great flier, or garner accolades for their building and finishing prowess, but without them our pastime would not be as enjoyable as it is.

So, I’m going to kick this off with my pick for an unsung hero in my life, my friend Tom Hampshire.

For many years Tom has been a service oriented individual, and he has served in many capacities in the hobby/sport. He’s been a Contest Director, an Event Director, a Judge, a Control Line Contest Board member, a promoter of control line activities, a sage counselor for clubs and organizations (he was a lawyer as his life’s work), and a friend to all who showed any interest in becoming a modeler.

To me personally he has been a mentor in many facets of life, a steadfast supporter of my flying and building activities, an “on-call machinist”,  an on-call provider of transportation for large pieces of foam, someone with whom I could share wacky ideas without the fear of being ridiculed, and someone with whom I can brainstorm new ideas for the hobby. He’s been a great sounding board! And, until I met him several years ago, I didn’t know what a good friend I was missing out on.

So here’s to you, Tommy. We don’t always see eye-to-eye on everything, but I can always count on you to be a friend. You are today’s Unsung Hero. You will always be a Hero to me Thanks for everything. 

Okay, I’ve started this ball rolling. Please take the time to write here about someone who you feel deserves the title of Unsung Hero.

Later - Bob Hunt       

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Unsung Hero of the day
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 06:06:01 PM »
Bob that's a great tribute to Tom and well deserved. As I thought about this topic I couldn't help but think about Danny Banjock. Danny is a real "ambassador" for the control line hobby. I can't tell you how many times you'll see Danny take an old trainer type plane out of his van to teach some "spectator" or "kid" at the field how to fly. He's so patient with the kids it's amazing.
Danny is always ready to help out with judging,cutting the field over at Neshaminy,and giving tips on building and helping to set up the planes for those who are less skilled.

Danny also creates interest in other non stunt activities like  free flight models,vintage stuff,and some of the other crazy things he brings to the field. His enthusiasm is boundless,that's why I think he's an unsung hero. Cheers,Skip

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 09:13:09 PM »
   I'll add a "here here!" to Tom Hampshire. I mentioned his name in a post just a day or so ago regarding some help with a B-25 engine. Got me fixed up with a muffler modification and some other tidbits of information. All unsolicited! Thanks again Tom!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 02:30:42 PM »
De Hill is one of those. He has been supporting control line in many ways over the years. It takes special people to work in so many different ways. He has judged at many contests. Not just Tulsa. He is one of those people that without him control line would suffer greatly.
Jim Kraft

Offline Bill Schwagerman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 05:45:39 PM »
Hi Jim,

I totally agree that De Hill is an unsung hero for our hobby. I love his passion for old time models and engines. My dad or Big Bill as folks call him around me would say the same thing. I appreciate Bob bring this post up. Time is flying by quickly so we need to stop and recognize the impact folks have made. I would also like to add Jim Lee. Jim has taught me a lot especially how to have great enjoyment from this hobby.

Bill Schwagerman

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 08:02:54 PM »
Totally agree Bill. Jim is also one of those who has worked behind the scenes and judged and did many other things. in fact, I switched from flying RC pattern for 25 years in 94 to control line because He came out to our RC field in Salina and put up some demo flights on a very windy day.

My thing has always been Old Time Stunt, and mostly ignition. Once you have flown a plane with and Anderson Spitfire or an Orwick, the rest seem a little ho hum.
Jim Kraft

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 07:01:49 AM »
Bob,
  I agree about Tom Hampshire. He has always jumped in and help lead when no one else would. He has been instrumental in the success of our Vintage combat day as well. The speed stunt rules he came up with are absolutely perfect for the event and what the day is all about.

Thanks Tom!

Best,
Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 10:56:29 AM »
There is no greater supporter of c/l stunt contests than Joseph (Doug) Patterson. He routinely drives 500 plus miles to head the judging at the Nats and local contests and help set up the flying circles plus c./d'ing his own contest. Doug's van is packed to the gills with contest related stuff. He's a tireless worker.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 02:16:27 PM »
 George was soft spoken and loved the hobby. His Hobby Shop was second to none. He and his wife welcomed every one like they were a family member.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 02:57:46 PM »
There is no greater supporter of c/l stunt contests than Joseph (Doug) Patterson. He routinely drives 500 plus miles to head the judging at the Nats and local contests and help set up the flying circles plus c./d'ing his own contest. Doug's van is packed to the gills with contest related stuff. He's a tireless worker.
I have only met him twice but each time I walked away refreshed by the encounter and a better flier. Fun to be around and very good at what he does.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here