News:

• April 25, 2024, 02:58:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nats Covergirl  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Nats Covergirl
« on: April 24, 2022, 03:38:25 PM »
Here she is.  Kenny Stevens was kind enough to get it down at the museum and get some good photos.  This will be on the ‘Top 20’ tee shirts given to Advanced and Open qualifiers this year. 
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Nats Covergirl
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 03:49:43 PM »
Awesome. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 03:49:59 PM »
Nice
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 09:38:46 PM »

Cool. What museum?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2022, 11:50:06 PM »
Very Cool.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 05:10:48 AM »
Cool. What museum?
Wayne it's my understanding Lew built four.  I think two are in museums;  the AMA museum in Muncie (as yet not put on display-a bit disgruntling to me) and the other in Lexington Kentucky,  Lew's home town.  This one is in Lexington.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 07:54:37 AM »
I had the privilege of seeing Lew and his World contender at Lumpkin Airfield when I was attending a telephone school in Ohio.  Had quite a visit with him.  I was flying my Stuka Stunt and managed a first when my competitor had a short run first round and then an over run second.  Thr Stuka was a good plane but flaps kept warping. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 08:36:57 AM »
 I flew against Lew  at Tifton Ga many years ago. That big plane flew slow, ST/46 powered. At end of flight he flew from the top of the circle four laps gliding to a perfect landing.
EddyR
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 05:34:02 AM by EddyR »
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 08:49:53 AM »
   I think Kenny brought this one to the Paducah contest several years ago for us all to see, and I should have pictures if I took a camera. And we all know that this is the Humbler, correct!!?? I think Charlie Reeves had copies of Lew's original drawings and if anyone else has copies i sure would like to have a usable copy just to collect.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 06:59:58 PM »
Charlie had a beautiful copy of the one he built and flew alongside Lew at the 68' Nats where I met them both.  Charlie's was done in German WWII camouflage .  Unfortunately he lost the remake a couple years ago when the engine cut out in a bad spot.  He should have copy of the Humbler plans but he and Jim Lynch told me the only real difference was the Humbler stab chord at the root is 1" wider than the Shark kit.  This airplane with modern power is really competitive today.  The wider stab will allow the CG to be back some like today's airplanes.  Charlie had a RO Jett side exhaust .60 in his and said any built today should have at least that much power on board. 

Dave

AMA 20934

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2022, 10:36:16 PM »
Charlie had a beautiful copy of the one he built and flew alongside Lew at the 68' Nats where I met them both.  Charlie's was done in German WWII camouflage .  Unfortunately he lost the remake a couple years ago when the engine cut out in a bad spot.  He should have copy of the Humbler plans but he and Jim Lynch told me the only real difference was the Humbler stab chord at the root is 1" wider than the Shark kit.  This airplane with modern power is really competitive today.  The wider stab will allow the CG to be back some like today's airplanes.  Charlie had a RO Jett side exhaust .60 in his and said any built today should have at least that much power on board. 

Dave

I've built two "Jetco" "Sharks" copied from the kit and had the opportunity to put mine down next to one of Lew's models and VSC one year and next to Charlie's more recent versions done just like the one you mentioned and they are different. I don't have the original American Modeler plans and I guess I should get a set of those, and I'm not sure how close the RSM kit is to what Lew built. His just seemed bigger. Either way, one of my all time favorite models.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2022, 09:35:46 PM »
   I think Kenny brought this one to the Paducah contest several years ago for us all to see, and I should have pictures if I took a camera. And we all know that this is the Humbler, correct!!?? I think Charlie Reeves had copies of Lew's original drawings and if anyone else has copies i sure would like to have a usable copy just to collect.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Hey Dan
Give Jim Lynch a call. Charlie brought Lou Humbler to Jim’s shop and I think he has plans.
Jim built this one.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2022, 06:41:42 PM »
I have an RSM Shark 45 kit that I am considering building as a Humbler. My understanding is as noted above, the two are nearly identical. Anyone have plans or info about the Humber, especially the differences between it and the Shark 45? (This kit is very different from the Jetco kit.) Power will be Enya 61 CXS side exhaust.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here