News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:30:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nats appearance judging  (Read 7803 times)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: Nats appearance judging
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2021, 11:36:16 AM »
Not the NATS, but I watched some appearance judging at several of the VSC's in Tucson.  They let everyone just wander around the planes displayed.  I couldn't bear to watch.  Just one careless person wandering through those planes packed rather closely, and someone's plane could be smashed beyond repair.  I hope that the rule at other contests keep spectators and other modelers away from the appearance line-up.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2021, 02:07:44 AM »
Somehow the twenty appearance points loom large. One recent year at Muncie, if I remember correctly, one or two appearance points separated 1 from 2. Sparky is probably accurate, shine matters, unless you're doing a scale homage. Since there is no reward for designing your own, originality of aerodynamic concept or decoration is a neutral, might as well build someone else's idea. Many do this. Join the herd. Herd mentality. Safe way to go. Have we lost something?

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2021, 04:24:50 PM »
Have we lost something?
Absolutely.  In 60 years of this I have never flown a plane in a PA competition that I did not design.  Dropping the Originality points hurt me big time.  I was "otherwise occupied" when the appearance points changes were made or I would have opposed it big time.  I am not opposed to modifying someone else design, or kits or building from plans but the amount of effort that goes into designing your own should be rewarded.  But, instead we reward the guy who can spray on a 12" shine he bought at the automotive paint store.  I get pleasure from drawing up a new design and I put a lot of time in on the design.  I also put a of of time in mocking up my color scheme.  In fact I am doing that right now.
Attached is one of many I am doing for the Trifecta.  None of this is rewarded in our current system.
I personally like a smooth satin finish.  I could take that to a contest and get 16 points or so.  I could also take a really shiny POC and get the same 16.  In some ways this mirrors the BOM discussion on another thread.   I agree, why should we invest in originality when all you need is the shiniest SV-11.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here