General control line discussion > Open Forum

My thoughts on the New Clover

(1/16) > >>

Derek Barry:
I just returned home from the Joe Nall, and after spending 4 days judging and flying the new clover,  I have some observations. 

First, I guess I should thank whoever came up with this unwanted and unnecessary change in our event, as it will certainly boost my Nats score by a couple points, but that is not how I feel after watching it flown. Whomever is responsible for taking a beautiful pattern that we have flown for 60+ years and turning it into an ugly, technical mess should have their head examined. The entry to the clover, even done my way with a quarter loop, is simply ugly. The 90° entry that I saw almost everyone else flying, is even more appalling. I am no fan of the "Walker" entry to the outside square either.  If you're not man enough to drive the plane to the ground from 45°, just say it.

I just wanted to vent about the destruction of a beautiful pattern, and warn people that I am now on the Contest Board and I will fight vigorously to prevent these needless and frankly, stupid changes in the future. I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Derek

dale gleason:
I think I saw the "new" pattern flown for the first time around 1956, there in Ruston, La. That same year I saw George Aldrich win stunt in Longview, TX, flying that pattern with his Maroon and Yellow Nobler. Left me breathless both times.

Then, I was 14 years old, now 79. For sixty-five years the Clover was the great challenge and it was difficult to master, but very rewarding for me when it was occasionally well flown.

No biggie, but personally, for what it's worth, I believe there was no necessity to have made this change to our Stunt Pattern.

dg

Just an addendum...I've got a few flights in my log book flying the new Cloverleaf, and although I didn't feel a need for change, I do not find any adverse effects of the change. My airplane still does whatever I cause it to do and the change is quite simple to accomplish. 

So there!

dg

Motorman:
Not familiar with the Walker entry to the outside squares.

Paul Walker:

--- Quote from: Motorman on May 15, 2022, 07:40:38 AM ---Not familiar with the Walker entry to the outside squares.

--- End quote ---

It's just disinformation. Why bother.

Derek Barry:

--- Quote from: Paul Walker on May 15, 2022, 09:28:48 AM ---It's just disinformation. Why bother.

--- End quote ---

🤣🤣🤣

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version