News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:20:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Frisket, Vinyl Mask or other?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Frisket, Vinyl Mask or other?
« on: July 29, 2019, 01:47:29 PM »
In all the years I have been producing kits, building and finishing model airplanes, my weakest skill has always been painting and finishing.  That is why I have always kept my paint schemes relatively simple.  There are some people on this forum that do beautiful artistry finishes and designs on their planes and I have never even tried some of the complicated schemes because I really did not know how to do it.

My question to those of you who are good at this, is, how do you do it?  What is the difference between frisket paper and vinyl mask and which one can be used to overlay on the model to paint designs?  I don't even really know how you cut out the designs or where to start with it.  I am guessing that you take a # 11 exacto and cut out the pattern and then lay the mask on the model and paint the cut out design.  Is that correct?

Basically what I am looking for is a tutorial on how this works and what type of masking do you use to do it with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if there is a previous thread on here that goes into detail about materials and techniques to achieve these beautiful schemes, please point me towards it.

Thank you
Mike

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Frisket, Vinyl Mask or other?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 01:49:54 PM »
I've been using an Avery product. Have to look up the product number when I get home but it's much like Frisket.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 03:08:05 PM »
Thank you Randy.

Mike

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 03:32:57 PM »
  If you have s source for some nice, coated paper stock, you can cut your pattern in that and then apply 3M Spray Mount Adhesive to hold it in place. This is basically the same as the glue on post-it-notes and is meant to be removed. I have used this and common self stick shelf paper with good success. I'm sure a search pf the painting and finishing section will turn up other methods. The ones I use are pretty cheap.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 03:37:45 PM »
Chris Cox and I  purchased a vinyl cutter about 5 years ago.  Even before that, I  had discovered the perfect vinyl material for making paint masks.  It is made by Mactac. Product is 8448 Grey Trans. Paint Mask.  Now there might be other brands that work well but as we use dope on our models, nothing else compares and I think I have tried most brands. Chris was Councours winner at the Nats last year and was front row again this year.  The last three years Concours winners at the Golden State Championshis, myself, Chris and Paul Walker all use masks made with Mactac.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 06:12:58 AM by Alan Resinger »

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 04:09:47 PM »
I use Frisket paper for just about everything. Go to Amazon they have it.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 07:25:19 AM »
Materials are good, but how are they used? I could easily cut a complex mask, but how is it transferred to the surface to be painted? And how to get precise position?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline chris perkins

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 08:59:27 AM »
Looking forward to a Tutorial on making and using Templates/ masks

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 09:02:06 AM »
Materials are good, but how are they used? I could easily cut a complex mask, but how is it transferred to the surface to be painted? And how to get precise position?

That was part of my question as well Larry.  Thank you for asking.

Mike

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 09:10:08 AM »
I searched You Tube for a video of how to do this from start to finish but could not find a really good one that explained the whole process, and certainly not one that is exclusive to applying a mask to a model plane.  From what I am gathering so far, there are several materials you could use for the mask, Like the one that Alan and Chris or Dan are using, but as Larry said, I would like to know how to prepare to cut the design, then actually cut it with a #11 (I do not own a vinyl cutter and am not going to buy one).  Then, Position the mask on the wing, etc.  I guess what I am wanting to see is the whole process from start to finish.  Wish someone had made a video of the process.

Mike

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 10:14:16 AM »
I searched You Tube for a video of how to do this from start to finish but could not find a really good one that explained the whole process, and certainly not one that is exclusive to applying a mask to a model plane.  From what I am gathering so far, there are several materials you could use for the mask, Like the one that Alan and Chris or Dan are using, but as Larry said, I would like to know how to prepare to cut the design, then actually cut it with a #11 (I do not own a vinyl cutter and am not going to buy one).  Then, Position the mask on the wing, etc.  I guess what I am wanting to see is the whole process from start to finish.  Wish someone had made a video of the process.

Mike

Mike,

I believe I have photos of the process I used with computer cut paint masks in a Finishing thread on the Flite Streak 007 Skyfall.

That thread could be over at CFC Graphics or somewhere in the forum?

This photo shows the extent of the cut mask I used, which actually covered the entire wing halves. I did all wing tops and bottoms.

This would be the gold color only. The gold gradients to silver on one wing.

Other graphics are applied using opaque colored vinyl.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 11:03:43 AM »
I use Frisket paper for just about everything. Go to Amazon they have it.

I looked all over, but I must not have used the magic words, because I couldn't find it. I found the masking vinyl for Cricut cutters to be an acceptable substitute in my limited use. It's a lot thicker than most frisket but it doesn't seem to weld itself in place or to wrinkle up with epoxy paint. I haven't tried it with dope and I would go with Alan's suggestion moving forward.

I cut mine by hand, generally. I know several people with vinyl cutters but they usually get someone else to do it (like David Powers, in Jim's case, I think). Phil was doing his own, with great success, of course. I like the David Powers type for lettering just because there is something to register "floating" elements and its pretty easy to handle.

Brett

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »
Mike:

I have never done a video but here is a step by step for a "poor mans" approach.  I have done it this way for years and never been disappointed but it is not a replacement for quality materials and a vinyl cutter.  If you are after a "front row" graphic then don't read any further, this is for the other 99%

I use simple clear shelving paper from Wallmart with a peal off paper backing.  I draw my design on white butcher paper then trim it to about 1" border.  Then I cut a piece of the shelving paper about 1" larger than the design piece.  Now peal the backing off of 1/2 of the shelving paper and fold it over so that you can cut the backing without cutting the vinyl  then fold it back so that it sticks and you have a perforation in the center.

Tape this on a fabric cutting board vinyl up.  Now tape your butcher paper design onto the vinyl centered over the perforation.  Get out the #11 and cut out the design.  Change blades as soon as there is any resistance and push hard.  Cut the centers out of things like zero's etc first and mark them so you can put them back where they belong later.  I always try and save numbers so that I can use them later for a negative mask using the base coat.

Now peal the whole thing off of the cutting board and lay it in place on the plane.  Tape down one side then take the backing off of the other side and lay it back on the plane from the center out.  smooth it out and make sure there are no wrinkles then un-tape the other half, peal off the backing and lay it out.  Go over every inch of the edges with your finger (i use cotton gloves to keep the oil off of the paint) until you are sure that there are no gaps.

Hit it with some clear, I like to brush it so that I know I have all the edges.  Let it dry just a tad and dust on color till it is solid.  I leave the stencil on till the paint is dry to the touch over the vinyl and peal it off slowly.  Use a sharp #11 to scrape off the one or two places that the paint ran under and you have just done a decent enough design for $2.99. (everybody has butcher paper, you borrowed the wife's cutting board, you already had the paint and the #11 can be used later so they don't count)

Remember that the adhesive on the shelving paper is made to be removed so it is really doubtful that you will pull paint removing it but I wouldn't tempt fate and leave it on any longer than necessary.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 11:53:40 AM »
Mike:

I have never done a video but here is a step by step for a "poor mans" approach.  I have done it this way for years and never been disappointed but it is not a replacement for quality materials and a vinyl cutter.  If you are after a "front row" graphic then don't read any further, this is for the other 99%

I use simple clear shelving paper from Wallmart with a peal off paper backing.  I draw my design on white butcher paper then trim it to about 1" border.  Then I cut a piece of the shelving paper about 1" larger than the design piece.  Now peal the backing off of 1/2 of the shelving paper and fold it over so that you can cut the backing without cutting the vinyl  then fold it back so that it sticks and you have a perforation in the center.

Tape this on a fabric cutting board vinyl up.  Now tape your butcher paper design onto the vinyl centered over the perforation.  Get out the #11 and cut out the design.  Change blades as soon as there is any resistance and push hard.  Cut the centers out of things like zero's etc first and mark them so you can put them back where they belong later.  I always try and save numbers so that I can use them later for a negative mask using the base coat.

Now peal the whole thing off of the cutting board and lay it in place on the plane.  Tape down one side then take the backing off of the other side and lay it back on the plane from the center out.  smooth it out and make sure there are no wrinkles then un-tape the other half, peal off the backing and lay it out.  Go over every inch of the edges with your finger (i use cotton gloves to keep the oil off of the paint) until you are sure that there are no gaps.

Hit it with some clear, I like to brush it so that I know I have all the edges.  Let it dry just a tad and dust on color till it is solid.  I leave the stencil on till the paint is dry to the touch over the vinyl and peal it off slowly.  Use a sharp #11 to scrape off the one or two places that the paint ran under and you have just done a decent enough design for $2.99. (everybody has butcher paper, you borrowed the wife's cutting board, you already had the paint and the #11 can be used later so they don't count)

Remember that the adhesive on the shelving paper is made to be removed so it is really doubtful that you will pull paint removing it but I wouldn't tempt fate and leave it on any longer than necessary.

Ken

Thank you Ken for taking the time to write all this out.  I am having a little trouble following it but I will figure it out I am sure.  I appreciate it very much.

Mike

Online Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 02:33:00 PM »
What Alan said, I think I was the one in the northwest to buy a vinyl cutter.  There are a lot of YouTube videos on their uses.  The hardest part is coming up with a scheme.
Mike

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 07:14:08 PM »
What Alan said, I think I was the one in the northwest to buy a vinyl cutter.  There are a lot of YouTube videos on their uses.  The hardest part is coming up with a scheme.

Planes painted using Mike’s masks have been on the Nats front row multiple times, not to mention his turbulator lattice.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here