News:

• May 03, 2024, 12:09:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vagabond Flies!  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Vagabond Flies!
« on: June 02, 2016, 12:19:12 PM »
Last October I introduced my new "Vagabond" bipe, that is meant do do anything you can think about, but look more like an airplane. It has an inverted engine, more wing span to improve glide and an aluminum landing gear.

Two have been under construction and Doc Holliday is the first to get his "Vagabond" in the air.

Here is Doc's flying report:

6-2-16
Well I got the needle valve corrected and went flying again Wednesday evening.  Leaned the Fox a little more and put up a flight.  Boy this thing turns on a dime and the wing out board lifted but stayed out.   Even on outsides.  Inverted it tracked like it was on rails.  Up right it follows the hand movements.   Lands like a dream, even with the rough ground.  Second flight I was doing more 8's and inverted.   Also I was stiff arming the controls and got some big loops in both ways.   Must be my handle set up as I had to concentrate on the outsides.   Was going to put up third flight but I guess new filter must have plugged up and the glow plug was dead.  This is going to be one fun airplane once I learn how to fly it.  By the way it was calm, if there was any wind I could not feel it and neither could the plane.  Tried a couple of times to hang, but 10-5 prop just kept pulling it up even with it 4 stroking.   Be something I will try wind I have a little breeze to help like with the Bi-Slob.  Today may be an off day as granddaughter will have the Suburban.  More later.

Oh, by the way I am already thinking of Vagabond II.   Stretch the lower wing rib section both sides and the top wing 2 rib sections both sides.   Will leave fuse as is and power with LA 46.   Of course this will be next winters project.   Other than the engine problems, did I say I was having fun with it and I like the look of it from my position.  Thanks for another great design.   DOC Holliday

AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Vagabond Flies!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 12:24:56 PM »
More pictures of Doc's "Vagabond

THANKS DOC!
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 12:25:45 PM »
One More Picture
AMA 7544

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 12:26:49 PM »
Thanks to Tom I dressed the Vagabond  a bit.  He sent me vinyl graphics for the name and my number.   Mucho easier to apply than me cutting Monokote and applying them.  It now has a pilot in the plane, needs a pilot on the ground though.  Also shot of my lead out guide.  Went to Topeka KS for club meeting last night and wish our field looked this good.  It will in time if we keep at it and get guys to use it for flying control line.   Also need to keep the vandals from destroying every thing. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here