News:

• April 26, 2024, 03:14:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My control line simulator  (Read 4446 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
My control line simulator
« on: January 20, 2018, 12:50:18 AM »
Talking to the guys on the video hangout, I said I’d post my VR Control Line Simulator build that I did to run with the PicaSim flight simulator.  So here it is.  Sorry the pictures are so large, but I just mainly copied this over from the Cox Engines Forum where I initially posted this idea.

This is actually the third build I did for a portable simulator that I could take to work and get some practice in on lunch break. For this build I ran down to the local Goodwill store and bought a used USB flight stick for ten bucks.  It had 14 control inputs, which is waaayyyy more than I needed.  I figured that I needed five at most. One potentiometer for pitch control, one pot for throttle control, and then three buttons for Play/Pause, Reset, and Smoke.

Pulling the base off revealed the internals I would use for the simulator.  I quickly removed the electronics and tossed the control stick and housing in the waste bin.

Then I set out what I needed and threw the rest in a baggie for later projects.  Besides the five above mentioned inputs, I also kept the tophat switch for a remote, as you’ll see later.

I also dug around in my supplies to see what I had to build the simulator.  A SIG 3” bellcrank for the handle to connect to and a 5mm electric motor hub to put it on, a spare motor shaft from an E-flight Power 25 motor for everything to mount on, a steering arm to rotate with the shaft, some bearings for the shaft to ride on, and some ball links to connect the arm to a horn on the pitch pot.  Finally, some wheel collars to hold everything in place.  I decided to use bearings for a smoother control, but they weren’t really necessary.  One could build a box without them.  The servo wheel is what I put on the throttle pot as a throttle wheel.

And the linkages all assembled and ready to mount to the box and electronics.

As I said before, I saved the tophat so I could use it as a remote control.  This is handy because with the handle a few feet away from the simulator box, it’s nice having the remote unit I can hold in the hand not busy with the SIG control handle.  I cut the wires between the tophat switch and its plug, and soldered male and female USB jacks between them.  I then cut some basswood for the remote, and hot glued the tophat switch to the basswood.  Lastly, I built a box around that.  It would be painted black afterwards.

Then I built a wood box for it all to go in.  It took more time than it was worth, and I’d just go down to the Michael’s craft store and buy a box next time. Since the bearings wouldn't have much pressure on them, I just made plywood bearing blocks for them to sit in.  With everything aligned, I hot glued everything together into the box.  The lip on the lower left side is so I can clamp the unit to a stable surface like the edge of a desk.  The P button is the Play/Pause button, the Start button is the Start/Restart button, and the Select button turns on smoke.  The USB jack at the bottom right of the controller is to plug the remote unit into.  The toggle switch on top isn’t connected to anything.  I just put it there in case I want to add something later…

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: My control line simulator
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 12:58:12 AM »
Some of the devices I used to run the PicaSim program on.  A Toshiba Satellite notebook, an Acer Aspire netbook, a 10” Galaxy Tab 3 tablet, a 7” B&N Nook reader, and my Samsung Galaxy S7 smartphone.  Not shown are a Windows 7 PC, a Windows 10 Intel NUC, and my old Galaxy S4 smartphone.  In the foreground are headsets that I used with my phones to try VR flying. The yellow cardboard FPV viewer was for 2D viewing, the white VR Beats VR headset is okay if you don’t wear glasses, and the black ColorChrome VR headset on the left is what I use now because it has enough adjustments for a glasses wearer like me.  To use your smartphone, you must also have an OTG (on-The-Go) adapter cable to connect the USB cable to your phone.

And, now some videos of the final product!  The video recorded with the built-in Windows 10 recorder isn't the best resolution.  It looks much better on your phone or computer screen in-game.

Flying the Extra 300 Control Line model in PicaSim on my computer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=MTXtROErbLk

Flying the Extra 300 Control Line model in 3D in PicaSim on my Galaxy S7.  You can watch this on your smartphone if you have 3D goggles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTkVaX4UQFk&feature=youtu.be

Flying the Extra 300 in 3D using the cross-eye method.  You don’t need VR goggles, you just need to cross your eyes to see this in 3D:

And a quick tutorial on setting up PicaSim for control line flying using my preferred settings.  I have since made a few changes, and I’ll get around to updating this video eventually.  Feel free to play with the settings to suit yourself:

Hmmm...  Don't know why the first two videos don't play in the message thread.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:31:58 AM by Mark Mc »

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 06:32:24 AM »
Mark,

That is very cool and would be a great tool to help somebody learn to fly control line.

Learning to fly inverted is a challenge and your simulator would be a great aid in that phase of training.

Jim Hoffman

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 11:14:41 PM »
Mark, that's an ingenious piece of work you did. Remarkable job, and thanks for talking a little about it on our video hangout Friday night. At the time, I had no idea your work was so well thought out. Glad you posted this thread.

It's always good when people like you come in with something to show us. Mike Londke, Steve Hines, and the other guests added a lot to the show too, with discussions about Combat, Stunt, building, repairing, and other topics. It made for an interesting 3 hours.

I wish some more of our Stunthangar expert pilots and builders would join in on Monday and Friday nights.
Sorry, I semi-hijacked your thread to plug our show, but it's a good teaching and learning resource.

Here's a link to the rerun of Friday night. It helps to skip through till we loosen up and let the conversations start to flow.

DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 08:24:47 AM »
If I had one of these I'd never leave the house.
It even winds and unwinds the lines. The attention to detail is incredible. Mark's skill with gadgetry is pretty remarkable too.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 12:19:05 PM »
It even winds and unwinds the lines. The attention to detail is incredible. Mark's skill with gadgetry is pretty remarkable too.

I don't think you're crediting me with anything on the programming, but just in case, I don't want anyone to be mislead.  I did not write the program.  The program was written by Danny Chapman.  I just made the box to use the program.  Danny is a real genius who wrote a RC glider program that he gave away for free.  Then he added powered RC planes.  Then on request he added three control line planes.  If Danny hadn't been a generous programmer who gives his program to us modelers for free, I wouldn't have been able to make this simulator.

You can down load the PC program form his website below.  You can also download free and pay versions for Android devices on Google Play, and free and pay Apple versions on the Apple App Store.  There appears to be a site to get the full Android version for free, but I haven't tried that download myself.  If you download the PC version and like it, I highly recommend the PayPal Donate button.  I personally felt that it was worth a few dollars to pay him for his generosity.

http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/PicaSim/download.html

I don't get anything for recommending the program, I'm just very impressed and want to give full credit where credit is due.

Mark

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 02:08:08 AM »
So, I imagine that most people don’t feel like tinkering like I do, so I decided to make another box.  I was moving stuff from one closet to another last week and came across my 15 year old RealFlight G2 USB flight box.  I figured I could make a quick simulator with that.  Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours for someone to make, maybe with their kids so they have a trainer for the young 'uns.

I was going to just screw an L bracket to the bottom of the box and attach a bellcrank to it and then just clamp the box to something sturdy to use the controller.  But looking at the bottom of the box showed a recess of about 3/16”.  And, being me, I just couldn’t do it the simple way.  Besides, I would prefer not to drill a bunch of holes in the box.  I got some ¼” basswood and cut a blank to fit into the recess.

Then I glued the blank to another piece of basswood for an upright.  I scared up a piece of scrap ply and glued the upright to it with some supports and then a couple more pieces to hold the transmitter box handle.  A couple of braces to hold a bellcrank on the end and it’s ready.

A short length of 2-56 all thread, a clevis from the spares box, and a carved up aileron connector and it’s done.  You could use the throttle stick if you didn't want the spring pressure on the stick, but I think it gives a little feedback when you're controlling the simulated plane.

I made the scrap ply wide enough so that I could clamp it down to a table or some such from either side.

Testing it out last night showed it to be better than the previous three I made.  I think it's because the joysticks I used have some built-in dead band around the center, but the USB transmitter box is linear across its travel.  I'll eventually use some filler on the ply to smooth things out and then paint the thing black.

If one wanted to do this, you could order one of these online for $20.00 to do the trainer box:

https://www.amazon.com/Costzon-Volantex-Simulator-Airplane-Helicopter/dp/B071HD8DRB/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1516957876&sr=8-10&keywords=usb+flight+simulator

Mark

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 10:37:31 PM »
Steel crank, Spectra lines, Sig handle, heavy duty clamps... should pass the pull test with no trouble, Lol.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Online Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 02:11:58 PM »
Mark:

Very nicely done, and generously-shared designs here! What you seem to be stating is that the much simpler model using the USB flight box shown immediately above works as well as, or even better than the USB flight stick conversion shown at the beginning of this thread. True? If so, I'll look into ordering and converting the flight box from Amazon as you've suggested.

I've got a couple of questions concerning my older PC and compatibility with the PicaSim software. Would I shoot them by you via private message on this site, or through the software designer? By the way, I'd gladly donate to the software designer as you suggest if this all works out.

Thanks again for sharing your nifty ideas.

Dave Mo...
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 04:51:17 PM »
Dave, ask away.  I'm a user, not a programmer, so any answers I can give are only based on my experience using the program.  I don't know how busy Danny Chapman is, but it can't hurt to email him if I don't have the answers you're looking for.

Last night I ordered the USB trainer box I referenced in the previous post to do one last simulator, just to make sure I'm not steering Y'all wrong with the link and recommendation.   I know Y'all are probably tired of me going on and on with this, but what the heck.  I'm only burning a few electrons.

Mark

Online Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 09:43:42 PM »
Mark:

Tip o' the hat to you. Not only do you share your experience and great photos, but you take on the risk of trying out the newer trainer box that you recommended! I'm hoping that it works.

You're the best.

Dave...

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 11:48:32 AM »
Nice work, without a doubt! I am a little concerned that learning to fly CL this way would leave one with a bad habit. That being to NOT follow the plane with your arm as it goes through maneuvers. As most of us know, this is the major cause of the famous "Figure 9". My second concern is that the FAA will decide that this device will need a registration number...  ;)  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 01:25:50 PM »
I agree, Steve. Probably not an ideal trainer, but it sure would've been fun for those of us that sat around all winter with a broken hip.

However, I did build a wind-up walking Santa. It goes Zhzhzh-clip-zhzhzh-clop-zhzhzh-clip-zhzhzh-clop... see, I went mad too. n~
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 03:41:45 PM »
[quote author=Mark Mc link=topic=49200.msg510144#msg510144 date=1517269877
I know Y'all are probably tired of me going on and on with this, but what the heck.  I'm only burning a few electrons.
Mark[/quote]

NOT A CHANCE Mark! This is fascinating!  I'm currently teaching my 63 yr. old wife how to do stunts. It is VERY HARD on equipment which is leading me towards building an "indestructible stunter". I would love to have something like this to train her on, especially in the winter! Do keep up your fabulous work!

Cheers, Paul (Chief C/L flight instructor)

Online Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 09:51:05 PM »
Point taken, Steve.  In all the videos showing good stunt fliers, it's clear that follow-through arm motion is the path to success.

My sole intent with the computer trainer is to learn control handle directions for inverted flight only. I won't mind augering in every now and then (well, not too much) while learning the pattern out on the field. But blowing a plane or two apart while just learning level, inverted flight doesn't have much appeal. Hoping this is a shortcut, but I'm always open to suggestions, though.

Regards,
Dave Mo...

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 01:59:21 AM »
The cheap USB simulator box came today.  I think it was four days from order to door.  I wouldn't want to use this for an R/C simulator, but it should be okay for the CL simulator.  I plugged it in and gave it a try.  It works with PicaSim okay.  It's not quite as smooth as the RealFlight Interlink controller, but for $20 it's okay for a cheap sim.  I'll run out tomorrow to Harbor Freight and the Dollar Store to get a couple of things to make the cheapo simulator box and throw it together this weekend.  I'll take pics and post them with what I did, along with a cost total.

Opening this thing up, it gives me new ideas for the "take to work" unit.  After the quick and easy build, I'll make up a new work box.

Mark

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 02:05:27 AM »
I am a little concerned that learning to fly CL this way would leave one with a bad habit. That being to NOT follow the plane with your arm as it goes through maneuvers. As most of us know, this is the major cause of the famous "Figure 9".
Steve

I thought about this, and you're right.  But, meh, whatcha gonna do?  It's still one way to get your mind thinking about what you need to do for the basics.  It just takes a little more concentration at the field to keep your arm straight.  I think that'll be easier than when you're at the field flying inverted and thinking, "Okay getting low so better pull up.  No! Wait! Up is....  Ah, crap!"

Mark

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 09:40:18 AM »
Reading these posts makes me wonder about people in general.  If I had better finances and the knowledge I think this would be great for those that are home bound or handicapped.  Just think of the smiles on the peoples faces if they could get a flight on this simulator.   Granted it is not like flying the real thing, but just to get the plane up and level flight and land would be great.   While in Florida my grand daughter who lived there at that time went with me to a local hobby shop in Port St Lucie.  While I visited and watched the guy fly a small RC plane around the shop she was on the simulator.  Now she lives close enough to me but is not interested anymore. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 03:10:59 AM »
Okay.  Quick and easy.  The new controller didn’t need the carrying handle, so the first thing I did was hack it off.

Then I took a scrap piece of 1/8” ply and cut a bracket for the bellcrank to mount to.  I slotted the bracket to fit into the bottom of the sim box.  Then I made a slot in the bottom of the plastic box to receive the bracket.   

I mounted the bracket to the box, and then the bellcrank to the bracket.  It’d look better if I shot the bracket with some black paint, but this is supposed to be a quick build, so…

Next I attached the sim box to a piece of plastic plate I got for a dollar at Dollar Tree with some hot glue so I could clamp the simulator to a table.  Then I connected the bellcrank to the pitch stick using a 4 inch piece of 2-56 all-thread to connect a Du-Bro nylon Kwik Link on the bellcrank to a 2-56 ball link on the stick.  I didn’t have any 2-56 ball links on hand, so I had to pop over to the hobby shop to get one.  It was a little expensive, but what the heck.

I hooked my handle to the bellcrank and fired up the PicaSim program.  I’m going to have to do some tweaking on the throws, but it works pretty well on the sim.

So, how much did it cost?

1)   Simulator shown above from Amazon:   $19.99 shipped.
2)   Du-Bro 2-56 ball link: $2.04
3)   4” 2-56 all-thread:  52 cents
4)   Du-Bro nylon Kwik Link:  also 52 cents
5)   Bellcrank: $1.50
6)   Plastic plate from Dollar Tree: Duh...
7)   PicaSim program:  Free, but I recommend a few bucks donated via PayPal if you like it

Total:  $25.57 and a couple of hours work while watching the Friday Night Video Hangout

Mark

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 07:26:26 AM »
Lol, I'm glad we we were there to help you keep your eyes open.
He did open his mic to comment and add some of his genius once in a while. That's a helluva good deal for a terrific toy. Good work, Mark. Tom Creasy worked on a plane in the background all evening too. Then he did show and tell to close the show.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Online Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 04:19:24 PM »
Greetings All:

Well, this PicaSim and control panel combination has the potential to be the cat's meow. But in spite of the superb program and the extensive and great help given me by Mark, my flight simulator project came a cropper.

The problem? Not sure. The up elevator (pull mode) works extremely well, while the down elevator (push mode) leaves much to be desired. If it works at all, down elevator is mushy and very slow. I suspect all of this has to do with the flimsy parts I used in assembling my simulator - too many degrees of freedom in the pivot and joints, flex, etc.

I can think of three solutions, one of which I will certainly pursue because this system has great potential as a stunt confidence builder.  1) I could tear into the guts of the controller box itself and remove the stick spring or reduce its tension somehow; 2) I could extend another threaded shaft on the pivot bar down elevator side parallel to the existing shaft all the way through the control box, with another pivot conveying a pull motion up to the other side of the stick; or, 3) Invest in some heavier parts, perhaps with bearings and metal fitments. Not sure which would be easiest. I too used hot glue to attach the box to the board, so might have to figure out how to detach.

See the pic (if my attempt to attach is successful):

Dave Mo...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here