News:

• April 23, 2024, 01:16:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Cardinal Crashed & Repaired  (Read 821 times)

Offline Kafin Noe’man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
My Cardinal Crashed & Repaired
« on: May 24, 2023, 06:09:21 AM »
My Brodak Cardinal got into a crash last Thursday when I was trying & learning how to do the reverse wing over.
The ship is now repaired and ready to fly again!

The lesson has been learned, it’s now time to go back to the field!

Best,
Kafin
INA 1630
I fly: Vector, Cardinal, XEBEC, and Banshee

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: My Cardinal Crashed & Repaired
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 07:07:40 AM »
My Brodak Cardinal got into a crash last Thursday when I was trying & learning how to do the reverse wing over.
Kafin
First CONGRATULATIONS on attempting one of the most difficult maneuvers to perfect!  You are coming along fast. Would the person who has never crashed on the reverse wingover please give us your secret!  I pancaked one last year.  Three tips on the RWO.  First turn must be dead down wind.  Second, the climb must be at 90 degrees.  You under-turned and that made the 2nd turn nearly double what you expected.  Third - don't listen to me, it is by far my worst maneuver. HB~>

Ken

One more thing, I watched your footwork.  Don't move your feet until you are headed for the last corner.   This is a video of Orestes Hernandez, study his footwork.  There is another video of him close up flying the pattern but I couldn't find it on short notice.  Another close up of great form is one of Brett.  That link should be on here somewhere.

I learned the RWO the way you just did it.  When I was in my late 30's I could pull it off and still put up an expert score but planes were different, you could turn around with the plane overhead back then because you had no line tension to control it anyway. it is a looser with today's ships and *extremely* difficult to change once you start competing.  Fix that now or end up like me at 76 still trying to master it.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Orestes+Hernandez&&view=detail&mid=C340774496D64E20BC21C340774496D64E20BC21&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DOrestes%2BHernandez%26FORM%3DHDRSC6
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 07:34:04 AM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Kafin Noe’man

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 07:58:21 AM »
First CONGRATULATIONS on attempting one of the most difficult maneuvers to perfect!  You are coming along fast. Would the person who has never crashed on the reverse wingover please give us your secret!  I pancaked one last year.  Three tips on the RWO.  First turn must be dead down wind.  Second, the climb must be at 90 degrees.  You under-turned and that made the 2nd turn nearly double what you expected.  Third - don't listen to me, it is by far my worst maneuver. HB~>

Ken

Hi Ken, thank you.

Lessons I have learned are:
1. You have to be 100% sure and committed to do your next maneuvers. This was actually my fourth try on that flight, I had bailed out on the first three trials. I’m sure I was still having a second thought when I finally did that. You can see from the footwork or stance that I was almost going to exit a normal wingover.

2. Do it higher. I knew I supposed to give the input earlier, but as I said above, my second thought prevented me to do that.  ;D ;D

3. Don’t forgot to give more ‘accentuate’ input in order to make sharper corner. My mind was telling me to do just like when you exit from the top of an inside loop to go into inverted flying, which is very smooth and subtle input to do that. And since I didn’t start higher, it made everything worse.

Fortunately, the repair can be done really quickly, so I’m ready to try it again!

Best,
Kafin
INA 1630
I fly: Vector, Cardinal, XEBEC, and Banshee

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 10:04:35 AM »
Yup, keep it up high and slowly work lower. But it indeed is a tough maneuver. (It still scares me !!)

I also still crash on every new maneuver I try. Overhead 8's are my latest challenge.

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 02:22:47 PM »
Sounds to me you have sorted the thing out in your head Kafin. Now replay over lots of times in your head what you will do next time, then do it.
Good Luck

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2023, 02:27:44 PM »
AND , ( I forgot) go through the dance at the same time with your body, fly it out in your imagination, get the idea of how it will feel. ( don't worry about the neighbours and friends - they already know you're mad!)  LL~

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2023, 02:52:10 PM »

AND , ( I forgot) go through the dance at the same time with your body, fly it out in your imagination, get the idea of how it will feel. ( don't worry about the neighbours and friends - they already know you're mad!)  LL~

It will prepare them for when you start practicing for the overhead 8! LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2023, 05:47:39 PM »
Hi Ken, thank you.

Lessons I have learned are:
1. You have to be 100% sure and committed to do your next maneuvers. This was actually my fourth try on that flight, I had bailed out on the first three trials. I’m sure I was still having a second thought when I finally did that. You can see from the footwork or stance that I was almost going to exit a normal wingover.

Indecision is the killer, you cannot change your mind or debate it when the airplane is headed at the ground at 70 mph.

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2023, 10:49:17 PM »
Ive cut it twice , and its still to short .

;D

One trys a sharper corner , higher .

AFTER youve Got That , with a good exit . Start thinking about getting it lower .

You can actually swing it round in 3/4 of a outside loop , to start . Long as it ' hangs out there ' .

Generally , starting off with ANY manouvre , you give the ground a bit of a miss , in case it moves while youre not looking .

Your ' situational awareness ' improves with practice . But dont allow DISTRACTIONS to shift your gaze from the general area of the aeroplane .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2023, 10:53:04 PM »
You wanna spin around waving your arm about , looking about a foot in front of your thumb .
Each Evening , going through the full schedule ' virtual ' like . imaginarily . So as youve ' Got the Moves ' .
Beforehand , lots of times .

THEN youre more ' with it ' in the actual performance . And dont trip over your feet .  ;D

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2023, 03:54:49 PM »
It has been stated and I still tell people don't think about doing any maneuver, just do it.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here