News:

• April 18, 2024, 09:38:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Canadian Friends  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
My Canadian Friends
« on: December 04, 2018, 04:42:59 AM »
I'd like to fly T&D this year and perhaps some stuff at the Bean Field. Been a while since I was up there. Looking over the MAAC rules, am I just finding outdated stuff or do I really need to pull test to 77 pounds and fly .021 lines? That would be deal-breaker. Hopefully I'm just misinformed. Would love to get up to Etobicoke again.

Thanks,

Chuck
AMA 76478

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: My Canadian Friends
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 05:42:46 AM »
77 pounds and .021" pounds in what event?

I fly over there a lot.  Most of their rules are just like AMA, FAI, and/or local US events.  A couple of exceptions are Jim Walker & grab bag Goodyear.
Paul Smith

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 06:19:55 AM »
Non- metallic lines are not allowed for competition. Shut offs not required for 80 mph combat and helmets required for all combat events. That’s the biggest combat differences .

As for stunt I think the FAI rules have been changed back to a more AMA friendly format .

Brad LaPointe
MAAC 5418L

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 10:35:02 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm flying stunt but some combat is never out of the question.  #^

I looked at the MAAC stunt and didn't see anything about pull tests, so I went to the MAAC controline rules and they still listed the old 100pounds/cubic inch deal and line size by displacement, instead of the 10Gs based on the model's weight and line diameter by model weight as well. Like I said, not sure I have the latest rules. 

Chuck
AMA 76478

Offline John McFayden

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 03:54:08 PM »
Perhaps this will help.
This year the MAAC Control Line Precision Aerobatics Committee adopted the use of the current AMA Rules for Stunt.
Here is the link to the MAAC page. www.maac.ca/en/documents.php
Click on the link MAAC Control Line Competition Rules -  Section G 05 Stunt The first section specifies the use of AMA rules.
The old MAAC Stunt rules remain in print for those that may wish to follow them.
At the T&D and the Bean Field events we fly the current AMA Rules.

John McFayden
MAAC Control Line Precision Aerobatics Chairman

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 04:33:36 AM »
Thanks John, Good news there. Hope to see you guys soon.  Another question: Is Centennial Park using the grass or the paved circle for stunt? IIRC the paved was usually used for the racing events. Depending on grass or paved I'll know which ship to fly.

Thanks again,

Chuck

AMA 76478

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 04:40:47 AM »
Paved circle for stunt.
There used to be two grass circles, but expanding the parking lot cost us 1/2 of one of them.
So only room for one grass one now and it is used for combat.
MAAC 8177

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 04:49:38 PM »
John,

I'd like to come up next season to fly OTS at the park, to complete will you honor my AMA license or will I require purchasing a MAAC license? It'll be my first time attending your event.

Steve Dwyer
Syracuse, NY

Dwayne

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 06:06:21 PM »
Perhaps this will help.
This year the MAAC Control Line Precision Aerobatics Committee adopted the use of the current AMA Rules for Stunt.
Here is the link to the MAAC page. www.maac.ca/en/documents.php
Click on the link MAAC Control Line Competition Rules -  Section G 05 Stunt The first section specifies the use of AMA rules.
The old MAAC Stunt rules remain in print for those that may wish to follow them.
At the T&D and the Bean Field events we fly the current AMA Rules.

John McFayden
MAAC Control Line Precision Aerobatics Chairman

We're not doing appearance judging are we?

Offline John McFayden

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 06:50:44 PM »
Hi Steve, No need for a MAAC membership. The AMA and MAAC have agreements in place. Just have an up to date AMA card and you are set.

As Dwayne points out we fly AMA rules without appearance points.

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 10:17:51 AM »
Steve,

You'll really like the experience. Great group of avid controline flyers, really nice facility and just a fun time.  We may want to just head up some non-contest weekend and get some flying experience there so you'll be more at home on contest-day. It's not that long a drive ( for me :), anyway.

Their site at Centennial Park proves the adage: "If you build it they will come." If more US clubs had sites like that there'd be a lot more CL flyers. If I only had $1 for every lap flown there over the last 50 years!

Chuck
AMA 76478

Dwayne

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 11:08:16 AM »
Hi Steve, No need for a MAAC membership. The AMA and MAAC have agreements in place. Just have an up to date AMA card and you are set.

As Dwayne points out we fly AMA rules without appearance points.
[/b][/i]

Phew, I'd never have a chance.  n~ LL~

Offline John McFayden

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 06:02:08 PM »
Steve and Chuck,

You are most welcome to come to our contests or on any weekend to fly at Centennial Park. Our circle was recently repaved and is in excellent condition.

Check out our website www.balsabeavers.com  Our 2018 Contest schedule will soon be posted including the Beanfield activities.

Let me know when you plan to come up and I will make sure you are well taken care of.

John McFayden

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 08:48:19 PM »
Now I know where you guys are located.  Guess if I would happen to come up I would have to renew my pass port.  But don't hold your breath waiting for the old DOC to show up. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 04:37:02 AM »
Steve and Chuck,

You are most welcome to come to our contests or on any weekend to fly at Centennial Park. Our circle was recently repaved and is in excellent condition.

Check out our website www.balsabeavers.com  Our 2018 Contest schedule will soon be posted including the Beanfield activities.

Let me know when you plan to come up and I will make sure you are well taken care of.

John McFayden

Thanks John, we appreciate the hospitality. You'll see us this coming year. Really looking forward to it.

Chuck
AMA 76478

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 05:19:22 AM »
John,

I'll second Chuck's expression of appreciation, I too am looking forward to visiting your gathering and flying on a hard surface circle.

See you in the spring.

Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here