News:

• April 18, 2024, 01:59:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My (admittedly self-indulgent) NATS story  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
My (admittedly self-indulgent) NATS story
« on: July 28, 2022, 09:35:51 PM »
Those present know some of this, but this is my NATs story, pretty crazy overall. It goes back a few years...

2020 - I have  new airplane, essentially identical to the previous two, and I can measure pretty good. I get a few flights in before the NATS and off I go. Once I get there, a few more flights and it is obvious something is very wrong. This led to much more flying than usual, and it won't turn inside without inordinate effort. This is highly distracting, I am having to think about it - which led to doing the wrong number of inside loops on both Thursday (which I overcame) and Friday (which bombed me out of the Top 5) .

2021 - Same airplane, nothing has gotten much better, I have to thrash away far beyond the bounds of wisdom would dictate, in particular, the inside turn problem is becoming hopeless despite some significant trim changes, and, for the first time in 25 years, even a blown-out pipe coupler. Later in the week, in the wind, I know it will be hopeless, leading to an embarrassing 1st flight on Top 20 day.

2021 (Week before golden state) - Paul, David, and I are flying, airplane is still hopeless and, if anything, worse, leading to me nearly crashing in the triangles in 10 mph wind.

2021 Golden State - After last weekends embarassment, I realize I cannot just fly around this problem, so, wholesale changes - different engine (back to #2 from #3) and about an ounce of weight on the tail. Immediate improvement, and on contest day, no problem with 25 mph over the hangars.

2022 NWR - Still have some confidence left, so good first flight. Wind comes up over the tower building and hangars for the second flight, really bumpy. I almost crash several times, confidence back to nothing

2022 Stunt Farm practice - take off and something is very obviously wrong, handle is well off, airplane flies nose-down when upright sometimes, other times kind of OK. Inspection of the controls shows nothing obvious.

2022 Napa Practice (a month ago)  - still something wrong, and I cannot complete inside squares or triangles on about half the flights, have to bail out in benign conditions.  I am thinking of withdrawing and judging, or digging out the other airplane, because it is hopeless as is, why waste anyone's time. 
Get the airplane home with plan to make a massive adjustment to the flap/elevator neutral, including bending the horn if necessary.  Remove the elevators, and find that the elevator horn is flopping around in the hole, it is no longer connected to the stabilizer. This explains everything, works normally on outsides when it pulls it up against the stab, pushes the horn backwards and away from the stab on insides, putting in a ton of effective down elevator rigging.

Unfortunately, this also means I have to cut up the airplane to fix it. I make a long diagonal cut from the tailpost to the hinge line, and straight back from the hinge line through the fillet back to the tail post, remove a wedge of the fuselage. Elevator horn just falls out. Glue it back, reinforced it, glued the fuselage back together, start finishing. No time for SuperFil, repair is pretty clean, so Bondo it is. Start refinishing, get it up to the white epoxy, time to test fly. Test fly, immediately, it works just like the other airplane, good to go, confidence abounds. Start back into refinishing, get clear on it Monday night, reassemble Tuesday night, airplane goes in the car for the trip on Wednesday,

2022 NATs - take off driving, no problems. Stay second night in York Nebraska. Wake up in the morning with a vaguely scratchy throat, nothing too unusual. No problem to the gas stop in Davenport IA. About an hour out of Davenport, I notice that my throat is really getting croaky, I don't feel so good, then the shivering starts. After about an hour of this, I call David, "Sorry, but I am going to have to quarantine because I have COVID-19 symptoms". After some scrambling, David it thrown out of our shared room and will stay with Tim and Dennis in Tims AirBNB. Last 200 miles or so, I am running the seat heater on full to try to keep from shivering, and Honda Lane-Keeping Assist and cruise control are all that is keeping my on the road. I tell them to come to the hotel to pick everything up, because I cannot go one mile further than necessary. I end up just lying in the grass at the Comfort Inn getting bit by ants because I can't stand up for long. They get their stuff and go, I manage to make it to the room with my small suitcase and my 25 lb weighted blanket, take Excedrin and sleep aid, turn the thermostat to 63 degrees, collapse in to bed. Sleep for about 18 hours, look out the window, it torrential rain all day.   Sunday night, I feel OK, no fever, I take one of my free Lockheed rapid antigen tests, negative.

Monday - looks flyable but dark. Another negative test, I feel OK, so I grab the stuff and go to the site, avoiding contact because even it it wasn't Wuhan Flu, it was something no one wants to get. Get everything set, start up, stand up to go to the handle - and feel that little "thunk" when my back goes into spasm. No problem in flight, but big problem walking, picking up the handle, starting the engine without falling into it. Limp around the rest of the day to get through appearance judging, then back to the room.

Tuesday - back some better, slightly better otherwise, get in several practice flights with some OK flights. No coaching because I was not to any consistent performance, but confidence coming back again. PCR test also shows negative, it was not COVID-19.

Wednesday- Circle 2 with 15 MPH over the pagoda, I do a OK safe flight. Check the scores, I end up second on the circle for the day. Pass second round. We come back for Golden Hour that evening, it's that perfect crystal-smooth air, so I start to get the feel back, feeling pretty good about my chances. Then I start having dehydration symptoms and couldn't stand up any more, it's a function of my prescripton, so I call to try to get that changed and slam a bunch of Gatorade.

Thursday - Circle 4, decent air. I didn't get anything to eat so I have a very fluttery stomach, back is much better, but am able to start paying attention to my posture, feel coming back some more. Two pretty decent flights, second again behind David again. Came back early after noon, not great conditions, back to light-headed, give up for the day and to get a hamburger with Tim and Dennis at the AirBNB. Resolve to have a talk with Dennis about party planning, plan it so you can get back to the field for Golden Hour.

Friday - after my previous problems I am just excited/relieved about managing to qualify - which, 3 weeks ago, was not going to happen. Everything from here on out is gravy. Two pretty good flights, some misfortune from my competitors (Joe D., Joe G., Paul, and Derek {who made one relatively small mistake that I saw, that's it}) and I am in the Top 5. Golden hour practice that night, I feel almost completely locked in, one more day and a little luck, and I might give Dave/Howard/Orestes a run for their money, particularly if the wind becomes challenging. 

Saturday - well documented. I flew second in the one and only round, made a few relatively minor mistakes like the wingover, and looking forward for my #5 draw in the second round. The rest of the day everyone knows. While I can't say I was *happy* about finishing 4th, I always want to win, all things considered, I went from *absolutely no chance* in Early July and looking at a repeat of 2020 and 2021 at best, to figuring I was about two flying sessions away from being the favorite with at least 3 different health issues just during the contest. OH, and I got the same appearance points and the repair, while not invisible if you know where to look, was certainly not obvious.

So, in case anyone was wondering what the deal was, that was it.

Brett

Offline Bill Schwagerman

• Lieutenant
Re: My (admittedly self-indulgent) NATS story
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 10:40:59 PM »
Now that’s TENACITY! This kind of shared experience gives me hope! Thanks Brett.

Bill

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 11:02:52 PM »
Just to add a bit of detail to Brett’s adventure or is that misadventure. When Brett drove into the parking lot of the Comfort Inn, David Fitzgerald and I were waiting for him. We weren’t sure what to do. Did he have COVID-19? What could we do to insure that we wouldn’t catch it? It was a very surreal dilemma but David and I needed to get our planes and equipment out of Brett’s van and into my rental car.

Where would David stay? David was supposed to share the hotel room with Brett. That wasn’t going to happen as Brett would need to isolate himself for who knows how long. Well it just happened that we had a spare bedroom available in what we now affectionately call the ‘Muncie House’. So Brett would get the hotel room all to himself and David would be staying with Tim Just and myself. The only issue remaining would be getting David’s 'assembled' plane and field equipment back and forth from the Muncie House to the L-Pad. Tim’s SUV came to the rescue and with a little rearranging of his SUV it worked out perfectly.

Now back to Brett. He drove into the parking lot and parked under the portico and got out of his van. He said he needed to take care of something and headed into the lobby. As he got out of his van he was in very bad shape. He could barely walk and stumbled into the lobby.

He came out of the lobby, got back in his van and drove about 200 feet over to where we had parked which was an open area that would allow us to unload our planes and gear and try to put everything into my rental car. As Brett got out of the van again, he is trembling uncontrollably and could hardly stand up. He just sat down at the curb where he unfortunately found a pile of ants. Talk about adding insult to injury!

David and I got everything out of Brett’s van and laid it out in the parking lot next to my car. It’s at this point that Brett was profusely apologizing over and over again for being sick and causing the turmoil. But in reality it really turned out to what would be a NATs to remember.

Now it’s time to “put the proverbial 10 pounds of you-know-what into the 5 pound bag” with two planes and all of our equipment in the trunk and back seat of a 2019 Kia Optima. David rose to the occasion and we very carefully put both planes in the back seat of the car. Then he methodically put every piece of equipment in its proper space and we were even able to close the trunk lid. Magic! The only thing we couldn’t get into the trunk was David’s metal flight box.

For those who may not know, this is not your normal, run-of-the-mill flight box. It must weigh at least 50 pound! If you ever watch David walk you will notice that his right arm hangs lower than his left. I thought it was from all the practice flying that he does. No, that’s not it. I’m convinced it from lugging around his flight box! Anyway he manages to get it on the floor board of front passenger’s seat where he would straddle it for our 6 mile ride to the ‘Muncie House’. We were able to get everything into the car and didn’t need to make a second trip.

Anyway, those are some of the details of this adventure. It was a great 8-days in Muncie! But I will keep it at that for now and not speak about how the Finals ended.

Enjoy,
Dennis
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 02:46:48 AM by Dennis Nunes »

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 07:45:01 AM »
Brett, thanks for sharing your story

Brett coached me through some trimming issues earlier this year for which I am grateful.  I made a point to say hi early in the week - no handshakes as he was duly concerned about whatever was ailing him.  During Monday's practice I saw him doubled over and looking darned uncomfortable.  I asked him if he was OK and he said he was trying to stretch/loosen up his back. 

Did not talk to Brett enough to know the backstory on his airplane.  After reading that, it is pretty amazing he had not destroyed it.  His performance through the week is now chronicled, (he was flying durned good!) - he obviously had it all together when it mattered.  That is how most successful NATs stories can be summed up.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 08:40:17 AM »
Getting into top 20 would be an incredible win for me so -- feel good about that.

Something buried in Brett's story that I try to pay attention to while troubleshooting is that the problem kept changing.  As an engineer and a toy plane mechanic, I'm sometimes glad when a problem gets worse -- because it means that something's broken, and if I'm lucky it'll get bad enough to be easy to diagnose before something gets destroyed.

A machine that's just stopped with an obvious curl of smoke coming out of one specific part is a machine's way of saying "look here, stupid".  It's much better than some weirdo mysterious constellation of symptoms that you can never get a handle on.  In a twisted sort of way, Brett's lucky that things got bad enough to be Really Stinking Obvious.

I think going forward whenever I have some strange problem with a plane I'm going to do what you should always do: o a check-out-and-bench-trim session as if some newbie just showed up with a Mystery Plane and asked you to fly it, or you just bought or got given a plane of unknown provenance. 
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 09:56:39 AM »
Getting into top 20 would be an incredible win for me so -- feel good about that.

Something buried in Brett's story that I try to pay attention to while troubleshooting is that the problem kept changing.
I am 100% in agreement with your post.  In a strange way it is good to know that this sort of problem plagues even the best of us.  I have been having a real brain twister with my Trifecta.  For the near year that I have been flying it, it will randomly tighten up on outside rounds.  I tried every trim change I knew.  I have serious tinnitus from working under running jet engines so I can't hear the motor well enough to detect RPM changes. The solution came from a post here from Fred Underwood to someone else.  I had forgotten to reverse the accelerometer setting in the timer.  Some things are just so basic that we forget to look for them as the cause of a problem.  It is like changing a lightbulb before you check and see if the lamp is plugged in.

I am with you on the Top 20.  I had to revise my bucket list this year.  I can still put up a decent enough pattern to qualify when I focus but the odds of doing it several times a day over half a week are slipping away.  If I don't fall apart in the next 4-5 years I may get to be the oldest Rookie of the Year. 

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 10:44:13 AM »
Great to hear some of the back story on your great showing. That explains to me my question to Tim and David how they came that far with two planes in that little SUV.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 12:35:57 PM »
Brett.  You could always say that you let someone else win for a change.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 12:47:45 PM »
Wow!!!  Thrill a minute, huh!???

Other than that, Brett, how was your week in our nation's Eastern Hemisphere?

Kidding aside, good work my friend.  Hope you're feeling more consistently human of late!!!!

Ted

p.s.  Sounds like great fun, though!  Sorry I missed it! 

yeah, riiiight!

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2022, 02:29:25 PM »
Wow!!!  Thrill a minute, huh!???

Other than that, Brett, how was your week in our nation's Eastern Hemisphere?

Kidding aside, good work my friend.  Hope you're feeling more consistently human of late!!!!

Ted

p.s.  Sounds like great fun, though!  Sorry I missed it! 

yeah, riiiight!

Yes, nothing like a tornado blowing through the site to liven things up a bit.

Brett

p.s. Of course my story is very self-centered, but note Dennis' making the point that I *greatly impacted* both Dennis' and David's plans with my multiple failings, particularly David, while although he suggested it, *I kicked out of his own hotel room*. I was willing to make other arrangement to avoid this, but I think it ended up working out OK. So, they also had to put up with my weakness and work around me not being able to pull my weight at times. BWB
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 07:30:29 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 07:32:14 PM »
Brett.  You could always say that you let someone else win for a change.

Suure, that's it, I have been just that charitable since 2007.   All that substandard flying was an elaborate ploy!

Brett

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2022, 09:55:29 AM »
Bret thank you for your story.  I guess my doctor was right when he said I've had the virus.  Nothing like waking up and you can't take a breath, make a sound or move.   Some how I manage to inhale and move my arm.   Still could not get any one to help me even though I thought I was screaming.  Finally got up on my feet and using two canes made it to living room where every one was at.  Later I start felling cold and asked for a blanket or my jacket.   That is when the shakes started in.  Thought I was going to fall out of the chair.  When I finally got some coffee in me the shakes finally slowed down.   These things had me thinking the time has come.  It has been sveral weeks now and I've managed to get out side and do some yard work.  Do make sure I have my belt on and also take breaks every 15 minutes or so and watch the temp outside.  Seems when the temps hit 80 plus it is time to quit.   This was before the trip to Bodaks.   I am still not used to letting people do the driving especially when you tell them to take route so and so and they ignore you.   15 minute parking lot at Wheeling on the by pass.  They were told to stay on 70 as there was very little traffic and is almost a straight shot through town.  But I guess that is part of getting.  Keep telling every body I'me going to make 100. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2022, 03:38:05 PM »
 "Two pretty good flights, some misfortune from my competitors (Joe D., Joe G., Paul, and Derek {who made one relatively small mistake that I saw, that's it}) and I am in the Top 5."

You are too kind, but thank you.

From my perspective it was a little different. The strangest part was, for possibly the first time in my top 20 appearances,  I was cool as a cucumber.  I wasn't stressed,  I had flown a relaxed,  but very solid first flight. I knew I just needed to put up a relatively normal flight, and I should be good. Especially considering the other people's misfortunes, that you previously mentioned. I even expressed those feelings to my Dad and Melissa who were getting ready to watch my flight....Then, Joe's wing folded. I felt terrible for Joe, who was also flying very well. Maybe this took me out of my zone, i cant be certain because other than feeling terrible for Joe, felt calm and collected as I went out to fly. I started the engine, everything was great, and then I took off...

I think I hit a rock on takeoff,  which caused my plane to leap up to about 2 foot, which I tried to manage as best as possible, but the tone for the flight had been set. The reverse wingover (the mistake you saw) nearly ended the life of my plane, at 32 flights. I managed to recover after flying a quarter circle at 6 inches off the ground. I had some decent maneuvers throughout the flight,  but it was marred with other mistakes that I just couldn't prevent, despite my best efforts. Stunt can be a cruel bitch.

Congratulations on your top 5 finish this year Brett. It was well earned.

Derek

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2022, 05:32:18 PM »
 Stunt can be a cruel bitch..

As I too know..

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2022, 06:51:32 PM »

As I too know..

Paul, have you found what the electrical issue is or was?

Dennis

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2022, 07:42:19 PM »
Congratulations on your top 5 finish this year Brett. It was well earned.

Thanks, I appreciate the congrats! I feel for your problem, and as you know, stuff like that, and every other crazy bad thing, just happens, and it has happened to me multiple times. 6th place in any round at the NATS is just the worst.

Top 20 day is a unique experience, all sorts of strange things happen (witness the carnage this year), but the most alarming thing is how quickly it is all decided. You build up for months to get to the NATs, endless hours in the shop, endless hours practicing, lengthy drives to get there.  You immerse yourself completely in the contest from morning to night from Sunday to Friday, and then, bam, one mistake or glitch, season over, just like that. You can be on the field and in for as little as an hour and you are done, and you have to do it all again and hope you get another chance, which is far from guaranteed.   Brutal.

Brett

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2022, 08:04:54 PM »
Paul, have you found what the electrical issue is or was?

Dennis

Well, yes and no. I have replicated the stoppage on the picnic table in a campsite a couple ago. I simply had to touch the power leads to the ESC  and it would stop. I stripped those wires only to find they look perfect. It is possible that the circuit board that they attach to might be cracked. It will check into that more when I get home. An open circuit might explain why there was no arc when the arming plug was inserted.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2022, 06:43:39 AM »
     Top 20 day is a unique experience, all sorts of strange things happen (witness the carnage this year), but the most alarming thing is how quickly it is all decided. You build up for months to get to the NATs, endless hours in the shop, endless hours practicing, lengthy drives to get there.  You immerse yourself completely in the contest from morning to night from Sunday to Friday, and then, bam, one mistake or glitch, season over, just like that. You can be on the field and in for as little as an hour and you are done, and you have to do it all again and hope you get another chance, which is far from guaranteed.   Brutal.

Brett

Yep, it's the hardest day in stunt, period. 

I have to admit, my problems could have been karma. I was getting entirely too much enjoyment from watching Matt stress out Friday morning. 

Derek

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2022, 07:11:10 AM »
Yep, it's the hardest day in stunt, period. 

I have to admit, my problems could have been karma. I was getting entirely too much enjoyment from watching Matt stress out Friday morning. 

Derek

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ Me?! Stressed?! I was calm, cool and collected the ENTIRE time!  LL~ LL~
Matt Colan

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2022, 12:58:55 PM »
LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ Me?! Stressed?! I was calm, cool and collected the ENTIRE time!  LL~ LL~

Yeah Matt, tell me another fairy tale!!😂😂

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2022, 04:05:18 PM »
Yeah Matt, tell me another fairy tale!!😂😂

Once upon a time in stuntland, the NATS were completed as scheduled  LL~ LL~
Matt Colan

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2022, 07:29:59 AM »
You know Matt, that just may happen some day!

Steve

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2022, 12:16:18 PM »

As I too know..

Hmmm.  I might have encountered that bitch a few times myself.  She comes in like an angel and slinks away with a snicker...leaving us with the detritus!

Ted

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here