News:

• May 02, 2024, 01:08:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Easy Cure for Fox Burp - B40  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Easy Cure for Fox Burp - B40
« on: July 05, 2013, 12:52:07 AM »
I have just finally gotten a hand-me-down Magician to fly nicely.   One problem - Fox 35 - The infamous Fox Burp.  While I have at my disposal several Fox 35's with the stick of wood in the bypass port (I think that's what it is), I decided to try a Brodak 40 which I have, in the nose.  Voila!  Outside maneuvers can now be done without a scare.  I suppose that's also the case for those who use almost any other engine.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Easy Cure for Fox Burp - B40
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 08:28:25 AM »
If you have an engine that works time after time, why worry about the sound.    ???
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 09:06:16 AM »
If you have an engine that works time after time, why worry about the sound.    ???

The sound is indicative of a malfunction and loss of power. Sometimes it quits completely and in many cases the airplane crashes inverted. That seems like a significant issue that should be addressed.

Brett

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 02:19:27 PM »
Just turn the needle in to where the engine is turning more than 2500 RPM sloppy rich and there is no 'Fox burp'

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 02:42:46 PM »
Elementary Watson.....Fly Electric y1 y1 y1
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »
Just turn the needle in to where the engine is turning more than 2500 RPM sloppy rich and there is no 'Fox burp'

Mr Bare,
That has to be the most ridiculous statement I've ever seen in print.

You assume of course that all of us who have witnessed personally many times the horrid Fox Burp and are experienced expert fliers, are too stupid to be able to simply regulate a needle valve and/or are simply lying.

What kind of simpleton are you???   HB~> HB~> n~ n~

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 03:39:18 PM »

I have been hearing that for years. I have even had people "demonstrate" that theirs didn't do it, and have it quit and crash, and then still have them deny that there was a problem and how great the engine was.

There's nothing special or religiously significant about a Fox 35 - it has its good points and bad points like anything else. It's not much of an engine compared to the alternative but we all should be able to agree about the run characteristics from an objective standpoint.

Why does every discussion about it immediately start a holy war?

Brett

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 05:22:45 PM »
Randy, I am not the sort of simpleton that is too stupid to lean a Fox .35 out and let it run. Been doing it for 55 years, still doing it with Fox .35s and will continue to run the engines in the manner in which they will run with no burp. Too bad that you have to reduce yourself to juvenile name calling.

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 05:33:01 PM »
Brett, I have been flying CL for over 55 years. I own and use al sorts of engines. I have never experienced a 'Fox Burp' But then, I have never ran Foxes in the '4-2-4 mode', nor any other engine for that matter. When I learned CL, the planes were thin airfoiled and fast was the name of the game.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 07:42:38 PM »
Randy, I am not the sort of simpleton that is too stupid to lean a Fox .35 out and let it run. Been doing it for 55 years, still doing it with Fox .35s and will continue to run the engines in the manner in which they will run with no burp. Too bad that you have to reduce yourself to juvenile name calling.

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ <=

Randy C.

PS:  I've been flying CL for 61 years and the Foxes even burped in 1952 when I started!
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 08:43:24 PM »
Randy, sure thing there buddy.  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 08:21:23 AM »
Sitting here reading this again, I realized I didn't have a Fox .35 until I moved back to KC in 62.   Ran it on the bench like the instructions and then put in the old Nobler I had at the time.  Up to that time all I had was a McCoy .35 Redhead and K&B .35 Greenhead.  Of course still had my OK Cub .049A.  Since that time I have had many Fox .35 Stunts.   Only time I had one that would go silent on me was when someone in Texas asked me to try his fuel.   Every time the plane would reach the top of the circle, like vertical 8, hour glass and overhead 8 there was silence until the plane got almost to the 45 elevation again.   Went back to my K&B 100 fuel and no  more silence during engine run.   It didn't matter if it was profile or built up.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »
Back in  the day we all set the needle so that the run was breaking from 4 to 2 cycle. This so that it remained that way until it was  launched. once released it would go quickly into 2 stroke. Then it would settled into a 4 stroke. While doing loops etc it would run 2 stroke while climbing and 4 stroke while diving. I think that the Fox 35 did more for our sport than any other engine.
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here