News:

• May 07, 2024, 08:04:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: eBay seller heads-up  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Terry Caron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
eBay seller heads-up
« on: January 30, 2017, 06:08:32 PM »
An FYI -
I had an experience that causes me concern about a seller of model airplane items.
If you frequent eBay you might do well know about it and him.
To avoid any issues on the forum, PM for details.

I've chosen not to publicly detail the event in some small hope that if he is a forum member he'll contact me with a reasonable explanation, in which case I'd post an "All's well" notice.
I can only hope he's not a forum "brother" - my view is that we come here to help, not take advantage of, each other.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:11:12 PM by Terry Caron »
NACA member, Huntsville, AL
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: eBay seller heads-up
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 09:31:31 PM »
Might save some grief if we had a little more of the story.  So far I've only had a problem with an individual on Ebay and that was several years ago. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 09:36:16 PM »
Grief relief is only a PM away, Doc.  ;D
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 10:02:27 PM »
On E-Bay overall I've had good luck.

However in two cases, I had one person claim an "expert" reviewed and gave her his "honest" assessment on a K&B .20 Sportster, stated was in good condition had compression. When I got it, it was toast. Piston was shot with chrome coating worn off and aluminum underneath badly scuffed, must have been run very lean. Cost to return for refund wasn't worth it. Dennis Lipsett was kind enough to send me 2 parts engines for postage only, was able to repair the engine.

Other, seller substituted a slightly oversized SAE nut for a metric prop nut, made the Enya .35-III TV look good in photos. When I got it, obviously was the wrong nut. The parts jobber at the local Fastenal gave me a half dozen M7x1 nuts for free, they only deal with bulk purchases (i.e. boxes of 100, etc.)

Bad stories were turned good. However, it has me being very careful about my purchases.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 12:26:41 AM »
Terry,

In my entire history on ebay @ 100% with almost 300 transactions since 2006, I received one product from a vendor/seller that wasn't as described.

We worked it out only with the help of ebay. Come to find out, I was bad mouthed/trolled about this purchase/return on another Forum. The story was told incorrectly. Outright lies actually.

You cannot defend yourself from lies. My guess is that ebay vendor/troll/lier knows this. I found out long after it happened.

No, I never Posted about this dealing or individual.

Easier to just put that stuff and those kind of people behind you.

Please send me a PM.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 01:07:14 AM »
An FYI -
I had an experience that causes me concern about a seller of model airplane items.
If you frequent eBay you might do well know about it and him.
To avoid any issues on the forum, PM for details.

I've chosen not to publicly detail the event in some small hope that if he is a forum member he'll contact me with a reasonable explanation, in which case I'd post an "All's well" notice.
I can only hope he's not a forum "brother" - my view is that we come here to help, not take advantage of, each other.

I'm now into my 17th year as a seller on "der bay", and am inclined to think most sellers really make an effort to "do the right thing".  From a business point of view, it's only logical - the harm done to your reputation by one "bad" sale probably offsets dozens of good transactions.

And I'm inclined to think one of the biggest problems we encounter with eBay is communication.  When we're talking face-to-face, we see each other's expressions; in a phone call, we might read them by listening to each other's tone.  But - let's face it - most of us tend at times to send off hastily written emails - forget the spell checking - and know for certain the recipient will know exactly what we mean.    :):) :)

A recent example in my own experience: Buyer purchases plan which is clearly listed as shipping folded, leaves feedback stating he ordered rolled.  Absolutely nowhere did he request rolled plans - but when I messaged asking why he so stated, his reply was "I have a lot of plans, and most of them are rolled".   ???

I ask about feedback, he tells me about his collection.

If I may play Devil's Advocate here though: Is it more honorable/better to criticize the seller privately, or to name him and give him the opportunity to respond?  He will surely not have the opportunity to defend himself (if indeed he has a defense) to those you privately share with. 

Just askin' ...

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 07:35:31 AM »
Every ethical coin certainly has more than one side and you raise a valid question, Dennis, and well-taken.
Here is the complete message I sent the seller:
"Hi - You've checked these so what resistance do you read for the primaries and secondaries?
If they both read properly I'll do my best to buy 'em. :-)"

Clear, concise and, I think, respectful, not to mention valid and reasonable from a potential buyer. I don't see much room for misinterpretation.
I'm a considerate man and as I said, I'll happily post an open retraction, and even apologize, if he has a valid reason for his action.
And I don't at all feel taken to task by your post.  Thanks. :)

Add:
In fairness, I've let him know that I can accept a valid reason for his action, even if mistaken, without the necessity of an apology on his part, 'though I'm sure I'd appreciate further discussion.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 08:43:58 AM by Terry Caron »
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 07:56:27 AM »
Caveat Emptor
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 08:03:01 AM »
Indeed, Bob, as always.
Paradoxically, I didn't buy anything.  ;D
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 09:35:08 AM »
Every ethical coin certainly has more than one side and you raise a valid question, Dennis, and well-taken.
Here is the complete message I sent the seller:
"Hi - You've checked these so what resistance do you read for the primaries and secondaries?
If they both read properly I'll do my best to buy 'em. :-)"

Clear, concise and, I think, respectful, not to mention valid and reasonable from a potential buyer. I don't see much room for misinterpretation.
I'm a considerate man and as I said, I'll happily post an open retraction, and even apologize, if he has a valid reason for his action.
And I don't at all feel taken to task by your post.  Thanks. :)

Add:
In fairness, I've let him know that I can accept a valid reason for his action, even if mistaken, without the necessity of an apology on his part, 'though I'm sure I'd appreciate further discussion.

So apparently you were inquiring about a ignition coil. Fair enough. But what was his answer? You can tell us that without his name.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 09:47:22 AM »
In a nutshell, Bill, no answer.
While that's disrespectful of a potential customer, it's not the cause of my concern.
MOF, most any response would likely have caused me to simply drop the listing.
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 09:53:19 AM »

Well I'm glad it wasn't me.  All my ignition stuff went across the pond to merry ole England.  The two engines had been checked out by the late Charlie Bruce who was quite a gentleman and included notes that he put in with the engines.  I do remember years ago when a person did give me a negative on an engine saying I didn't give the right description.  I told him to go reread the listing.   Ebat agreed with me.  Remember fellows read the fine print.  I too have misread some listings, but didn't blame the seller. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 10:01:29 AM »
I'm also glad it wasn't you, Doc. I truly wish it hadn't been anyone.
There was little to misread in the listing, but there was what I can only consider some deliberate misdirection.
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 04:29:37 PM »
Fair enough Terry, Thanks for understanding.

I believe you've been one of my buyers, and your word is bond as far as I'm concerned.

There are several on eBay I just don't deal with.  When I spot either a buyer or seller who seems to have a history of contentious transactions, I simply add them to my blocked bidder list.  Life is too short to get tangled up over our toys!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 05:08:45 PM »
In the grand scheme of things, Dennis, except for a very few world class flyers maybe, nothing concerning our toys is worth suffering much angst over.
I firmly believe that integrity and honorable dealing are. I've never listed an item with less than full disclosure of every issue of which I'm aware.
It may cost me a few bucks at times but I sleep well.
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here