News:

• March 29, 2024, 01:53:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS LA CL venturi  (Read 893 times)

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
OS LA CL venturi
« on: February 14, 2019, 04:56:42 PM »
Hi all,

I'm considering going up a bit in engine size. The OS LA-S .15 seems to have a good reputation, except for the snap-off problem with the remote/backplate mounted needle valve.

Does anyone here know of a pre-fab solution based on parts NOT marketed specifically for this engine? I suspect something along the lines of a spray bar run through the OEM venturi at the mounting screw location. Drilling the engine case IS NOT a show-stopper for me. Hanging the engine an extra 1/2" forward to clear the remote NVA is.

Thanks in advance,

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: OS LA CL venturi
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 08:03:03 PM »
Thanks, Motorman...and Mr. Jim Lee.

I like knowing that the right parts exist that will allow me to return the engine to RC, or three-line control. I doubt I'll swing back, but...

Now off to find my "big" engine!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 08:18:48 PM »
I have a SuperTiger NVA in mine. Drill through with a #21 drill. The earlier OS NVA with the springy needle will fit without drilling if you can find one. If you need the venturi, the older FP unit fits but they did make a venturi for the CL version LA15.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OS-La-15-FP-15-VENTURI-AND-NOZZLE-FOR-REAR-NEEDLE-NIP/292922426101?hash=item44338982f5:g:Ha4AAOSwWwBbdbWa:sc:USPSFirstClass!08302!US!-1:rk:6:pf:0

If you want to cut down the weight Curtis Shipp makes a metal backplate that's lighter.

Motorman 8)

I have never measured the .15 size nozzles, but the units of the .40 are smaller than the regular spray bar. They don't have to have a thick body to thread for a needle valve, so are smaller. I accidentally found that out after swapping out the engine on my Shark/Twister for my son to fly years ago, and it ran forever on the same amount of fuel I flew it on!. Which ever way you go, Jim Lee can tell you what the proper size should be for a regular needle valve assembly. I found that the rear needle worked OK, and it kept Sean's young fingers away from the prop. But the newer style needle have that stupid O ring and they can leak air after a short while. I think if you pack the area with athick grease that will help seal it. The older rear needles used the same needle as the older OS carburetors used with no O ring and they work well. The biggest difference I found on operation is that you need to choke it more ona cold start, and a careful mounting of the tank with the rear canted outward will help get a clean shut off at the end of the tank. If you are careful with the screw driver and use a good sealer, the plastic back plate works fine, just don't over torque the screws..
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 11:15:26 PM »
Hi

I have the  OS LA 15 parts in stock

Randy   678 407 9376  Randyaero@msn.com

Advertise Here