Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ink Pen  (Read 639 times)

Offline John Lindberg

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Ink Pen
« on: February 26, 2022, 06:11:42 AM »
I am attempting to build a Easy Built Thunderbolt, 28" wingspan stick and tissue construction, does anyone know of a commercially available ink pen that might not be so hard on the Japanese tissue? Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 06:30:19 AM by John Lindberg »

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ink Pen
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 09:07:10 AM »
  Do a search on here for applying ink lines and you should find volumes. There are lots of pens at the craft and art stores that work well and come in lots of nib sizes. Lot of sort , small tip felt tipped pens also. Applying them would be similar to a stunt ship. Another old trick was using chart tape and doping that down, along with using narrow strips of black tissue doped down. I would be really surprised of there were no YouTube videos on the subject.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Joe Bowman

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 10:12:32 AM »
John,  If you are using the tissue supplied in the kit, you are not going to have good results.  The domestic tissue in easy built kits is just too fragile to draw on,  If you use a felt tip pen with large enough tip as to not damage the tissue it is so wide that it just doesn't look right.
   If you have some Esaki tissue (not produced anymore), or Mt Fuji tissue is what is being sold now.  It is good enough to do some limited drawing on it.  A lot of people have started printing on the tissue before it is applied to the airplane.  The detail that can be achieved is incredible.  Search on you tube for printing on tissue for model airplanes.  Lots of info and how to's.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 10:13:12 AM »
John,

This may or may not help, but I tried a few pens and chose this one. Thick line on one end thin line on the other.

As far as the tissue, be gentle, less pressure. A guess.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/paint-and-finishing/secret-exposed!-pen-lines-photos-added!!/
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2022, 12:58:51 PM »
Hiail John. Attached - photos of my Spitfire tail covered with silkspan, doped, painted with rattlecan automotive primer/filler,
blackline inked with marker pen using as little pressure as possible. Let ink dry/ cure overnight, Dusted with clear rattle can automotive to seal ink, wait a few minutes and slowly build up light coats till you are happy. Use back of wet n dry sand paper and wet sand - carefully - between coats to get a nice finish.
Cheers
John C

Online John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2022, 01:04:31 PM »
And the topside'

Online John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2022, 01:47:59 PM »
An afterthought
Lean pen over and drag across the surface smoothly. Less chance of a dig in.
I also have a flexi ruler for curves. A 30degree clear plastic set square allows to get in tight spaces. Haven't as yet used French curves, but they would be useful to have if needed. Minor stuffups can be lightly sanded out and redrawn.
Hope this helps a fellow C- liner.

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2022, 10:06:09 PM »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here