News:

• April 17, 2024, 07:55:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motor Mounts  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Motor Mounts
« on: September 27, 2006, 04:04:50 PM »
On the Miss BJ I'm building the plans show 7  1/4" lightening holes in each motor mount. Is this the way to go??  Doesn't this weaken the mounts??  Advice appreciated.  Thanks    The fusalage is profile, and the engine will be a L&J Fox 35.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Motor Mounts
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 04:54:35 PM »
Holes are well behind the main stress points of the mount.. Normal operating procedure to lighten hard wood mounts.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 05:20:02 PM »
Hi Lee,

As Bob said, it is a fairly common procedure for many builders.  Some others do not do it.  Seems to work either way!  n~

I often use my circular saw to relieve the back side of the maple mounts when they're going in a full fuselage plane with a modern engine.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 05:37:29 PM »
When I made the Argus kits I slotted the motor mounts for inserting the 1/4" balsa cross grain. This produced a mortise and tenon joint that is the strongest woodworking joint - it is used where leg rungs go into the legs as an example. I have done this for my planes for years and recently I used this system in the Playboy kits as well. When I did the Playboy I epoxied the mounts together and trimmed them to length.
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 06:08:44 PM »
Looks good Bill.

Just finished drilling, my mounts are 5 5/8" long each was sloted 1/16" for engine clearence and weight was 20gms combined. After drilling the weight was 15gms. My scale only does 5gm increments, but individually weight was 5gms ea. So for sure you save 5gms up to 9gms. FWIW
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 12:35:43 AM »
On the Miss BJ I'm building the plans show 7  1/4" lightening holes in each motor mount. Is this the way to go??  Doesn't this weaken the mounts??  Advice appreciated.  Thanks    The fusalage is profile, and the engine will be a L&J Fox 35.

In a Stunt News a couple of years ago, Noel Drindak (I think) advocated drilling a 1/4" hole lengthwise (from the rear, naturally). The article suggested that any hole drilled through the M/M would create multiple stress risers.  FWIW
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 05:34:23 AM »
the real question is, do you really need to take 5 or so grams out of the nose on a profile plane?  The holes may very well accumulate more than 5 gr. of epoxy when you glue the mounts in.  I'd really question this.  If you reallly decide you need to get rid of 5 gr. up front, take a belt sander and take a few extra strokes along the the plywood doublers to smooth, round, and fair them in.  that will take off the extra weight quickly and easily and add some pretty curves besides.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here