News:

• May 02, 2024, 10:02:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What the ...?  (Read 3458 times)

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
What the ...?
« on: February 12, 2012, 08:48:36 PM »
 I know some is our stuff is considered collectible, and "value" is determined by various things to each individual, but are you frickin' kidding me?...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120857546816?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I guess some people really do have too much money. D>K
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline John Fitzgerald

• No longer an AMA Member
  • Commander
Re: What the ...?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 09:02:48 PM »
It would not be worth anything to me because I wouldn't use it to fly.  Who collects handles for display anyway?

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 11:09:57 PM »
I've used ebay quite a few times over the last 6 years ( Feedback of 300+ ) .. What sells, whats hot and what gets high returns is sometimes interesting..

Things quoted as "rare" occasionally are.. but dont be fooled. Seems that if its old and valuable there WILL be someone who knows its true value to them, and you can bet your life that there will be 30 other people at that same time who are looking for the exact same item.

With 22 Bids (and rising ) so far, there must be something VERY vintage about it.. Having read the listing closer, its Brand New, unused.. this always yelds a higher price - no matter what it is.

Not alot surprises me these days with ebay.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 07:32:27 AM »
The handle pictured is fairly rare; the value of an item on ebay is what someone is willing to pay.

The pictured handle is an E-Z Just which was produced in the early '90s. That company had nothing to do with the original E-Z Just company which produced the Red and Gray handles. The original E-Z Just company was involved in a lawsuit (which they lost)  sometime around 1970. They had no liability insurance, and went out of business.

The new E-Z Just handle was named in a lawsuit in which the old E-Z Just company was being sued. The old company was out of business, and couldn't be found. The lawyer went after the new E-Z Just company, which had no connection to the old E-Z Just company. (Except the name)

It cost the new E-Z Just company $18 -$20, 000 to defend themselves in court and prove that they were not the old E-Z Just company. After the trial, the new E-Z Just company quit making handles. They didn't want the aggravation of lawsuits anymore.

And yes, people do collect handles and reels.
De Hill

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 10:20:44 AM »
  I collect handles, but not in this price range?  n1 n1 I knew Dee Hill had a large collection and would chime in. This example wouldn't be very useful by today's standards with all that overhang. I'm just wondering what the thing at the top that looks like a trigger is?
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 10:50:45 AM »
I think that the handle is laying on a piece of paper or plastic. The handle actually looks like the picture below the real handle.

It makes a good training handle for teaching newbies to fly.

I have one. No, it's are not for sale.
De Hill

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 10:59:04 AM »
I better not tell Dan Banjock about this ebay auction!!  :o

Dan and I use the same handle to teach new fliers. The student holds the handle as intended (contoured area) while the instructor puts their hand around the area the area that would have a more traditional overhang (non-contoured area). Very easy to assist a new flier.

The handle has been used and abused like a flea market handle should be. Worthless to us....

I always wonder what will happen to all of the "valuable" collectables that the next generation finds useless.

Mike

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 11:14:34 AM »
If they are not placed in a museum, they will be trashed.
De Hill

Offline John Fitzgerald

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 12:21:40 PM »
If they are not placed in a museum, they will be trashed.

I didn't mean to demean anyone by my post.  I had no idea anyone would collect handles for display.  To me, the Hot Rock was a good design. It was not very well made though.  I like the multi layered plywood copies of the Hot Rock with brass ferrules for everyday flying.  The old gray EZ Just seems too big.  I have three of those i think, but no longer use them.

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 12:36:20 PM »
No insult taken, from me.

The E-Z Just handle was the most popular (by number sold) (not 1/2a sized) handle ever. You can find them at swap meets and on ebay frequently. Finding new ones is common. There are still a lot of them out there.

The first ones were produced in the late 1940's and had Red painted wooden handles with the two loops at each end of the cable not finished. The came in two sizes; large, and Hot rock. (small) Large was advertised as a stunt handle and small was advertised as a racing handle. They were changed to Red plastic handles in the next year or two, and the cable loops were finished. Again there were two sizes with the same names as the wooden ones.

During the lawsuit in the early 1970's, around the time of the lawsuit,  E-Z just produced the Gray handles in two sizes, again called Large and Hot Rock. There was a paper sticker stuck to the top of the handle which warned you to stay   away from power lines.

Then the company lost the lawsuit and went out of business.
De Hill

Offline John Fitzgerald

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 01:05:59 PM »
No insult taken, from me.

The E-Z Just handle was the most popular (by number sold) (not 1/2a sized) handle ever. You can find them at swap meets and on ebay frequently. Finding new ones is common. There are still a lot of them out there.

The first ones were produced in the late 1940's and had Red painted wooden handles with the two loops at each end of the cable not finished. The came in two sizes; large, and Hot rock. (small) Large was advertised as a stunt handle and small was advertised as a racing handle. They were changed to Red plastic handles in the next year or two, and the cable loops were finished. Again there were two sizes with the same names as the wooden ones.

During the lawsuit in the early 1970's, around the time of the lawsuit,  E-Z just produced the Gray handles in two sizes, again called Large and Hot Rock. There was a paper sticker stuck to the top of the handle which warned you to stay   away from power lines.

Then the company lost the lawsuit and went out of business.

Was the lawsuit due to someone flying into power lines?  If they lost a suit like that the jury was incompetent or bought IMO. 

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 01:43:26 PM »
I still have my original U-Reely handle I used as a kid.

I do know that an outfit in Idaho made repros. I saw one once and it looked the same?

I have a Mike Scott Big D, purchased it in 2007.

Works for me.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 01:45:01 PM »
The suit against E-Z Just was brought by the wife of a deceased modeler who hit some power lines. The lawyer sued every manufacturer who provided any of the parts to the model airplane. I do not know who else was sued or what the result to their companies was.
De Hill

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 07:04:47 PM »
The "incident" took place here in Miami in 1974.
I do not remember the mans name but it was ugly. (It may have been a Mr Rice)
A total beginner that built a Ringmaster Jr (I think) and then took his five year old daughter to a park in Coral Gables so she could launch her Dads new plane. He managed to get it started and the little girl let it go. In less than half a lap it hit the power lines.
It was tragic and we can only imagine what the kid witnessed.
The widow sued everyone, not only Austin Craft but Perfect, Sullivan, Sterling, Fox and everyone else that had a component in that plane.
I provided a deposition and appeared at a hearing as an expert witness on behalf of the power company. The only place that avoided a law suit was the City of Coral Gables since the responding policeman wrote a "tresspassing citation" to the deceased man shortly after the accident.
This whole thing was quite a big deal around here back then.
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 07:09:02 PM »
It would not be worth anything to me because I wouldn't use it to fly.  Who collects handles for display anyway?

Hi Dee! You popped in my head when I read this, LOL.

Guys, I bought this late 40's U-Reely complete with original solid lines and fishin' swivels off of fleaBay just because I liked it. It Oozes vintage control-line. No cross bolt for safety so it's a wall hanger.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 08:12:44 PM »
" I always wonder what will happen to all of the "valuable" collectables that the next generation finds useless. "

I doubt this will ever really occur.. there are always heavily populated pockets of younger generations who find an interest in weird collectables.  I myself have gone to several vintage electronics meetings and some of the stuff there is very rare and interesting..

You always wonder how they found it, or heard about it.. or bought it!  Nothing amazes me anymore.
To summerize, I dont see the old being thrown out.. there are just to many eclectic collectors.

Infact... we have a show on local Television called " The collectors " which showcases people weird collections.. yes model aircraft related, but some of the weirder ones :

Old Axe handles..
bobby pins
AA Batteries
Dolls heads..

The list goes on and on..

For the last 10 years I personally like to collect vintage video game's - 70's - 80's
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 07:16:49 PM »
I have one of those old E-Z Just handles.  It's two-part grip is perfect for teaching newbies how to fly.  In fact mine was used to teach several people (including a Girl Scout Troop) to fly many years ago....and no it's not for sale at any price.

As for handle collectors, you couldn't find a better authority than De Hill, Tulsa, Oklahoma.  Besides being extremely knowledgeable about out-of-production CL handles, he's a very nice guy who will answer any questions you may have about them.  Contact dfhill(at)juno(dot)com.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 07:27:14 PM »
It was tragic and we can only imagine what the kid witnessed.

Veering OT -   I saw something like that as a kid, unfortunately. A guy was flying with his U-Reely in the Westinghouse Flourescent Lamp plant in Salina, KS in about 1967. It unlatched and the airplane hit his daughter in the head. I don't want to see that again.

Brett

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 07:37:31 PM »
All we had to fly with back in the late 50's and early 60's were the U-Reely and that red EZ-Handle.

I still have mine?

I lost a Flite Streak because I forgot to set the keeper on my U-Reely.

Nothing wrong with the EZ-Handle. I'll bet it was used in the Nats.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here