News:

• May 05, 2024, 12:07:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Model Aviation Magazine - June, 2014 issue  (Read 6116 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
Model Aviation Magazine - June, 2014 issue
« on: May 23, 2014, 10:00:18 PM »
I could not find anything pertaining to Control Line in this latest issue at all.  Did I just miss it?

Mike

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Model Aviation Magazine - June, 2014 issue
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 11:05:39 PM »
I could not find anything pertaining to Control Line in this latest issue at all.  Did I just miss it?

Mike

Mike, on page 132 there is an Ad for the Nationals and it contains a list of CL events (5 of them anyway) and that is the only mention of anything CL in the magazine as far as I can tell.  I'm sure the AMA would be happy to delete that also.
I'm not surprised and it's not the first time this has happened.  I'm sure most of the AMA today thinks CL is dead and buried...besides it doesn't make any money for them except from we stupid people who pay dues so we can enter contests and get their insurance (Insurance that is actually next to useless by the way).

The Academy of Mostly Arfs is also next to useless...NO SUPRISES!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 05:19:33 AM »
The CL scale column is on page 123

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 06:55:09 AM »
I can't remember when MA last had a ukie on the cover. To Jay Smith and company,  a FPV (quadcopter) is so much more aesthetically pleasing than a nice stunter .
It's all about the connection to advertising dollars. The magazine is just flooded with stuff one doesn't  need to assemble.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 08:47:13 AM »
Hi Fred

I did not see that until your post.  Thank you for your article and representation.

Mike

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 09:23:10 AM »
If no one in the CL community writes and submits an article, they have nothing to print. 
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 11:28:46 AM »
As a CL community we have several ways to get our voices heard....Mike is correct, they can't print the stuff if we don't send in the articles and photos

1) submit full feature articles for publication
2) send info to the columns.....this helps advertise your contest for the following year
3) send info/contest results to the District VP you fly in, I just sent info on one of our contests to the District 6 VP on our speed contest
4) submit construction articles with plans
5) I also invited our District 6 VP to our big contest (stunt and scale) in Sept

I have written several articles over the years and have 3 cover photos, all of them were CL models but that was over 10 years ago

Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 11:58:10 AM »
Another re-run discussion.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 01:10:21 PM »
I know Bill.  That is why I wrote a short article for the Magazine.  See my new post.

Mike

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 08:01:19 PM »
Good article Mike! A enjoyable read.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 09:45:45 PM »
Well this months mag I didn't get as much usage as I usually do. I only got to mix epoxy once on it before throwing it away.
AMA 12366

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 09:55:12 PM »
I probably won't renew (since 1951) with the Academy of Mostly ARFs, since I could probably get the latest Hobby King catalog directly, and for a lot less money.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 09:57:56 PM »
Sunday, tomorrow, they will all gather at the flying site, gathering around the latest and greatest RC ARF foam, war-bird replica; listening contently to the new owner's great attention to detail and building prowess. There...standing with baited breath; they listen to the power of the fire breathing electric motor as it strains to get the foam behemoth into the air. After a few fleeting moments of close calls and unprompted aerobatics, the seasoned; expert builder and flyer has the foam, war-bird replica back on the ground in one piece. All there gather around the highly skilled builder of such a wonderful model, congratulating him on how well he built his foam, war-bird replica. As all head back to their own foam, war-bird replicas, someone was overheard saying "I wish someone would go tell that guy on the other side field, flying that stupid plane on strings; to go home, nobody does that anymore, besides he's disturbing the peace."  SARCASM   S?P  
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 11:32:36 PM by Norm Faith Jr. »
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 07:15:22 AM »
I can't remember when MA last had a ukie on the cover. To Jay Smith and company,  a FPV (quadcopter) is so much more aesthetically pleasing than a nice stunter .
It's all about the connection to advertising dollars. The magazine is just flooded with stuff one doesn't  need to assemble.

The last time Model Aviation featured a control line plane on the cover was May 2014.

The current author has a stated policy of focusing each issue on a specific event, not covering every event in every issue.  June 2014 is the monster jet issue.

May 2014 was a CONTROL LINE issue, devoting major coverage to Allen Brickhouse. 
What have you done for us lately?

Paul Smith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 07:27:25 AM »
Well this months mag I didn't get as much usage as I usually do. I only got to mix epoxy once on it before throwing it away.

I have mine mailed to a guy named Pat.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 10:13:51 AM »
             YEA! YOU RITE TY!
         Doug

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 12:07:54 PM »
The last time Model Aviation featured a control line plane on the cover was May 2014.

The current author has a stated policy of focusing each issue on a specific event, not covering every event in every issue.  June 2014 is the monster jet issue.

May 2014 was a CONTROL LINE issue, devoting major coverage to Allen Brickhouse.  
What have you done for us lately?

UUUhhhhh Paul...nice try but that's stretching a point to breaking...the CL model on the cover there is a tiny thing up in the corner, simply calling attention to a beginner article inside.  The airplane is a scale biplane and definitely not obviously a Control Line airplane and most certainly not a beginner subject.  I think it's probably just a clip from an ad.  The actual cover photo is an RC wierd asymentrical subject ( I'm not sure I'd really call it and airplane), that does have a build article consisting of 5 pages and plans for purchase.  The article mostly promotes Rimfire electric motors and Thunderpower Batteries, E-flite, etc.

All about as interesting as watching a chicken scratch in the dirt!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 12:13:42 PM »
The CL scale column is on page 123

Fred

Hi Fred,
My apologies for missing your CL Scale Column.  It's well done but buried in between lots of ads and I simply didn't see it.
Still for all it's glory it's only two and a quarter pages, of which two are at least one quarter ARF ads for R/C Crap!

Thanks for what you did, it is an interesting article!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 12:21:31 PM »
I doubt if any or much of the AMA staff at the HQ is even or are even model enthusiasts, just a bunch of bean counters and so called journalists. They can't print what they DON"T have. So all you complainers and hot shots, submit tons of articles, They have to have something to print and this will prove CL is not dead, yet. y1 H^^

Ty most of us gave up long ago writing articles and submitting them to MA to have them simply disappear without even the courtesy of a rejection letter.

Listen carefully now...Control Line Articles do not sell advertising, so they don't want to print them!!!

By now that should be obvious to everyone!  As for just wanting filler...BULL...each page costs money and they don't want to spend money with no chance of return!

Simple truths and bare facts...as far as the AMA is concerned we (Control Line Fliers) are just a nuisance!

Randy Cuberly D>K
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 12:35:06 PM »

The current author has a stated policy of focusing each issue on a specific event, not covering every event in every issue.  June 2014 is the monster jet issue.

Paul...that's just a ruse for using all the issues for R/C...or at least 95% of them.  When the issue comes for CL or Free flight it's still 95 % R/C.

Are you by chance on the payroll of the AMA?   No don't get mad that's just a joke...however constantly trying to make a bad thing look good definitely makes you a seem very LIBERAL!   LL~ LL~ LL~ n~

They do that a lot!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Rollin Keszler

• New Pilot
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 01:30:43 PM »
On the subject of the May issue, was anyone else disappointed in the Beginner's Guide article?  For being a "Beginner's Guide", I was hoping to see something of substance for the beginner but there was neither a picture of a handle, bell crank, nor even a few of the most basic figures from the AMA rule book.  It seemed so heavily edited that it was more confusing than helpful or informative.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 06:15:20 PM »
A while back, I inherited a rather large collection of control line stuff - engines, planes, magazines, etc. Very old, late 40s, early 50s.
I wrote to the AMA museum (attention museum manager) offering to donate it all. I even offered to deliver it to Muncie.
They did not respond.
I sent them the same offer by e-mail.
They did not respond.
I called and left a message.
You guessed it - THEY DID NOT RESPOND.
Of course, some ama ass-kisser defended them. He said that I must understand that they are really busy. What a load of CRAP.
Since when is a museum manager so busy that he/she cannot take 30 seconds of precious time to aknolwledge an offer? Or at least have the courtesy to respond and decline the offer.
Never again.
In a way though, I'm glad it happened that way.
I donated everything to the Brodak museum.
And, in my opinon, the magazine is a joke - I don't even look at it any more.

I truly wish there was another way  but I guess we're stuck.
Bob Z.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 06:33:39 PM »
What Rollin says about the beginner article!! On the other hand the article on parallel charging batteries in the latest issue seemed to cover the subject fairly well. Course you need to be into electric C/L (or RC  mw~) to appreciate it.   n~
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 07:26:21 PM »
I wonder if the free flighters complain as much as the CL's do.   If we had 20 to 30 thousand dollars tied up in one airplane they might notice. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 08:50:16 PM »
Okay, let's be fair here.  As has been pointed out, "They can't print what they ain't got"....which applies to most of us.  With the demise of Allen Brickhaus, how many of us have submitted CL articles?  Personally, I haven't sent anything since VSC-1 back in 1989 (which they immediately printed) and later a minor construction article on a 1/2A Scale Racer.

That being said, I, too, am dismayed by the proliferation of RC mail-order ads - though acknowledging that today's 'audience' is primarily RC-oriented.  Unfortunately, the vast majority of those are not 'modelers' in the traditional sense.  Like many of us, I long for the days when the magazine featured construction articles from designers & builders.  Today, however, it seems that most AMA members prefer pre-built electric 'toys' manufactured in Asia.

I can only suggest that CL and FF folks begin to overwhelm the Muncie Money Managers with articles.  No, I won't be among them.  I'm done.  I quit.  But good luck to everyone else with trying to get their attention.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2014, 09:45:51 PM »
I wonder why the people that type, type, type inane crap (and well intentioned questions, too) on these forums don't realize that they should be writing articles for the major mags. Especially the AMA publication. Don't waste time writing here asking why R/C and quadcopters are so popular, they just are, write a control line article with that time. Remember that many people in C/L of the past wrote, built and won in C/L. These people were those representing C/L. We read those mags, and built their stuff (or wished we could). If you didn't write an article for Model Aviation, Flying Models and Stunt News, one shouldn't bash MA on the forum. YOU are the reason they don't have any material.

For the defensive; Send your article to the C/L editor of the event you like. He might be short, didn't have time to get it done, or yours may be better than his. Thanks Fred, Bill Boss, Bobby, Ted, Windy, and all of the others for what they've done and just repair the problem by writing a nice article on something you like about C/L, nifty techniques you use, etc.  All the time one spends on these forums can be used to show that C/L is not dead (if that is what you think).

BTW, at R/C contests, when they find out I'm a C/L guy too, I hear all about how great Stunt and Scale looks to these contestants when they arrive at the Nats. Stunt and Scale evidently are as big as any R/C event. They also are upset and afraid of their AMA events are becoming extinct (I fly Pattern and Scale). The complaints are the same as Stunt, other events or general sport flying. Our Team events at Worlds aren't the only events with funds being cut because we are irrelevant.

The events that young guys like are helicopters, 3D, and the like because that is what young guys like. Like 13 year old Davey Slagle liked Stunt in 1947. No mystery. If you want kids to do these events, get your kids and grandkids into it and maybe one in twenty will become active for a time. Take them to Joe Nall (I think they have a 3D IMAC contest there), or any of the money meets for copters, 3D, electric meets and you'll be witnessing the equivalent of the Mirror Meets of yore. There are plenty of young people in model aviation, they just aren't many in our traditional events, C/L or R/C.

Chris...

Chris...

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2014, 11:45:40 AM »
Do not throw your back issues of any modeling magazines away!
Donate them, after you have removed your mailing label.  Ask your local Library, youth home or your regular Barber Shop if they would like to have them.

Reuse beats Recycle!

You git the idea,
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2014, 09:12:34 AM »
MA is doing what they do best: lots of full-page color pictures of ARF planes and Quadcopters.  This attracts those having trouble with printed English.

F.C.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2014, 12:12:22 PM »
I wonder why the people that type, type, type inane crap (and well intentioned questions, too) on these forums don't realize that they should be writing articles for the major mags. Especially the AMA publication. Don't waste time writing here asking why R/C and quadcopters are so popular, they just are, write a control line article with that time. Remember that many people in C/L of the past wrote, built and won in C/L. These people were those representing C/L. We read those mags, and built their stuff (or wished we could). If you didn't write an article for Model Aviation, Flying Models and Stunt News, one shouldn't bash MA on the forum. YOU are the reason they don't have any material.

For the defensive; Send your article to the C/L editor of the event you like. He might be short, didn't have time to get it done, or yours may be better than his. Thanks Fred, Bill Boss, Bobby, Ted, Windy, and all of the others for what they've done and just repair the problem by writing a nice article on something you like about C/L, nifty techniques you use, etc.  All the time one spends on these forums can be used to show that C/L is not dead (if that is what you think).

BTW, at R/C contests, when they find out I'm a C/L guy too, I hear all about how great Stunt and Scale looks to these contestants when they arrive at the Nats. Stunt and Scale evidently are as big as any R/C event. They also are upset and afraid of their AMA events are becoming extinct (I fly Pattern and Scale). The complaints are the same as Stunt, other events or general sport flying. Our Team events at Worlds aren't the only events with funds being cut because we are irrelevant.

The events that young guys like are helicopters, 3D, and the like because that is what young guys like. Like 13 year old Davey Slagle liked Stunt in 1947. No mystery. If you want kids to do these events, get your kids and grandkids into it and maybe one in twenty will become active for a time. Take them to Joe Nall (I think they have a 3D IMAC contest there), or any of the money meets for copters, 3D, electric meets and you'll be witnessing the equivalent of the Mirror Meets of yore. There are plenty of young people in model aviation, they just aren't many in our traditional events, C/L or R/C.

Chris...

Chris...

Chris,
I'll say it one more time!!!  This time pay careful attention and think about it!  MA does not want Control Line articles!  The space they use does not attract advertising and does not pay for itself.  Yes they will print the occassional CL article just to appease the fractional CL membership so they can act injured when people complain and say well we printed such and such in May of last year...Then they say we just don't get any articles from CL people...Hogwash... I personally have sent them thee articles in the past five years and 1 was rejected and the other two were...Who knows... they didn't even contact me over them.  Probably thrown in the trash like a lot of other CL stuff there.  No, I'm not an ignorant bumpkin I'm a PhD in engineering, and can write reasonably well.  It's likely that since they had never heard of me they just tossed the articles because they simply don't want to print stuff that doesn't have any commercial support from their point of view.
For heaven's sake look at the numbers!  Why would they want to print CL articles, when they roll in cash from all the big retailers by printing articles about quad copters and 1/3 scale airplanes that fly like helicopters...not to mention all the electronic paraphinalia attached to R/C.
You want to write articles...fine!  I'll look forward to reading them if they are printed, but don't hold your breath.  Personally I've got better things to do than waste my time filling their trash cans.
The AMA has become very much like the Government...a lot of Fat Cats feeding off thier positions and following the flock of "butterflies" that keep them there!

Enough said!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2014, 03:52:55 PM »
Gentlemen ... there a lot of opportunities to write and see published control line articles.  It just isn't in Model Aviation.  It is Stunt News.
Joe Daly

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2014, 04:51:28 PM »
Gentlemen ... there a lot of opportunities to write and see published control line articles.  It just isn't in Model Aviation.  It is Stunt News.

Amen!  That makes everybody happy!  I just wish we didn't have to pay for MA!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Joe Just

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2014, 07:19:23 PM »
Don't forget Control Line World.  They are more than willing to print what you submit, and they cover all control line activity.
Joe

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »

This Is what I wrote to MA:

To. Mr.Jay Smith

Editor in chief Model aviation

Dear Mr. Smith

My name is Juan Valentin AMA110696 and I would like to ask you if it might be possible to add more Control Line content to Model Aviation? I realize that there are not many people building and writing articles on control line. I would like to suggest to add a reprint of an old construction article plan included to every issue.There are probably many beautiful stunters and trainers that have been published in the past in Model Aviation that we would enjoy seeing. I have been an AMA member for many years and have enjoyed modeling since I was 10 years old,I`m 64 now and still love modeling which to me means building and flying.I`m sending you a few photos of my models.I  will appreciate you reply.

Yours

Juan Valentin   
His reply that to me was a non answer:

Actions

Jay Smith (jays@modelaircraft.org)
Add to contacts
1/6/2014
[Keep this message at the top of your inbox]
To: tito val
jays@modelaircraft.org

Hi Juan,

Thanks for your email. We have an article on CL that will be published in the very near future. We will continue to try and balance the content and meet the needs of our readers.

Thanks for the pictures!

Mike Griffin

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2014, 09:12:24 PM »
Well........there you go

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2014, 09:19:08 PM »
Jay Smith should run for a political office.   He said much but really said nothing.  "near future".  Talk about non committal.  If bullshit was electricity, Smith would be a powerhouse.
Joe Daly

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2014, 09:35:13 PM »

Do we really have to re-hash this whole MA thing EVERY MONTH? HB~>
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2014, 10:05:44 PM »
Jay Smith should run for a political office.   He said much but really said nothing.  "near future".  Talk about non committal.  If bullshit was electricity, Smith would be a powerhouse.

It has been a long and busy day. The last sentence above just made this evening a really GREAT DAY!  #^  #^  #^ LL~  LL~  H^^
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader
New Caney, TX  (NE Houston area)

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2014, 11:10:21 PM »
Do we really have to re-hash this whole MA thing EVERY MONTH? HB~>

No wayne you are free to simply ignore it...why complain about it if you're not interested.
People who are interested in a particular issue want to discuss it often in hopes that something might be done about.  It's called useful discussion!  Do you not believe in that?

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline John Craig

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2014, 06:33:11 AM »
I am sure John Brodak's  Control Line World would also be interested in anyone articles.  This magazine might not be with us much longer.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2014, 02:46:17 PM »
If we can get everyone on this forum to sign up for Control Line World, John just may keep it going.   Same with Flying Models. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2014, 03:19:22 PM »
My subscription to FM has expired.  Now I buy copies from my LHS. Same thing, I guess.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2014, 03:28:04 PM »
I subscribe to both FM and Control Line World as well as the aforementioned Commie rag.
Joe Daly

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2014, 04:53:58 PM »
If we can get everyone on this forum to sign up for Control Line World, John just may keep it going.   Same with Flying Models. 

Well I had copies of the first three issues and they were not much more than Brodak catalogs.   I thought at the time that it would probably not survive.  Has that changed?

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2014, 05:16:59 PM »
Well now that we are talking subscriptions, I subscribe to the AMA magazine, of course being an AMA Life member, then MAN, then FM, then the "High Flight" the Big Bird mag., of course "Stunt News" as a member of PAMPA, and I was just thinking that I was missing something. I cannot believe I forgot to subscribe  for this year the Control Line World.  How bad can one get!  %^@  Oh, not to forget I am a member of "Flying Aces" and that little magazine is a world of stuff for the real builder. Easy to make some of those small rubber models into something significantly larger.
By now!  Don't read too much, ya' hear?
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2014, 08:25:46 AM »
I think I have all the issues of CLW.  What I really like is the biographies of some of the great modellers we have.   The magazine also tries to cover all of CL in a way.   It even has reports from other countries.   But, everyone has their opinion and likes.   I guess I am one of the few that goes from cover to cover on any magazine.   Even my Stock Car Racing magazine.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2014, 04:23:20 PM »
LOL: Some of you might recall that I have complained about the AMA and its rag in the past. So this year I opp ed to get the rag via the computer. It is much easier to through away now and there is no paper to out on the thrash. So that is progress. Now I find I do not even look at it. I just delete it.

Chuck
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2014, 11:23:01 AM »
It would be nice if the AMA went back (as they once  did some 40(?) years ago) and permit a member to get just  a monthly or quarterly AMA bulletin( paper back then, online now) and skip the monthly magazine - at a reduced  membership rate.  Doubt they'll do it, though. I  fly RC Pattern , so I'd keep the mag unless it goes totally FPV /Quadcopters. To me, they are not" models"  or a replica of anything.

A dream, but  if the AMA would permit  this to happen  again , more  folks could justify the expense of Control Line  World  and Stunt News .
That would be a shot in the arm for both publications.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2014, 12:31:04 PM »
Well. I always start at the back, and work forward toward the CL and FF columns. The "Interview" column could be interesting...but this one was a kid about 8 years old. Good grief! How about interviewing Paul Walker or Howard Rush, Lee Hines, Roger Simpson, or Doug Galbreath? I bet any of them would be really interesting to a lot of folks. Doug turned 80 this year, and Roger is in that ballpark. I think Lee is 75+. If they're going to interview them, now is the time.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2014, 10:05:58 PM »
". . . this one was a kid about 8 years old. Good grief! . . .
====================================================
Absurd, wasn't it?

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2014, 05:06:16 AM »
Gentlemen ... there a lot of opportunities to write and see published control line articles.  It just isn't in Model Aviation.  It is Stunt News.

Except for those who don't fly Stunt and don't get Stunt News.  HB~>
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2014, 02:13:15 PM »
====================================================
Absurd, wasn't it?

Maybe so, yet I think it is a rather good item to allow the youngsters  to not always have to sit on the benches. Other youngsters can then think, "If he can do it, so can I."  Model aviation is in a big change and has been since the glow plug, actually before then. I rather see and hear a youngster state his desire to be there than some same old names get posted while muttering, "Nothing to it"!  HA!
My dad hated my aviation interest. He rather changed a bit when at 20 years old I came home to show those silver wings and gold bars. My life interest from about 5 years old until now 78+ still stays with me.  Let's get the youngsters on the front line, and not just with a da _ n rifle in their hands.  y1
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:37:45 PM by Hoss Cain »
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here