News:

• April 24, 2024, 04:11:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Miss BJ Articles  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Miss BJ Articles
« on: June 28, 2021, 02:49:16 PM »
Hi
   Looking for two articles on Miss BJ profile stunter, I think they were in Flying Models Jan and Feb 1987.
Any help appreciated.
Paul
In OZ.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Miss BJ Articles
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 03:15:45 PM »
Paul,

All I remember is this because I made graphics or mask for someone, I don't remember who?

PDF file is there for plans.

Not sure this will help.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/%27miss-bj-pro%27-plans-by-beto-glaser-a-evolution-from-the-red-baron-design/
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 09:42:03 PM »
Hi
   Looking for two articles on Miss BJ profile stunter, I think they were in Flying Models Jan and Feb 1987.
Any help appreciated.
Paul
In OZ.

Paul;
     I have the magazines, but not sure my scanner is up to the task. You are down under, so doing the the old fashioned way will take forever. let me see if I can get my scanner to wake up and function. Send me a PM with an email address to email the files to in the mean time.
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Christian Chacha

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 08:57:43 AM »
I have copies of the article. Will see how fast I can get it to you.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 09:08:56 AM »
 I new Bobby very well. I have poster pictures of him and his plane many times on here. He did updates of that model over the years. The pictures should be on here somewhere.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 12:16:48 PM »
I have copies of the article. Will see how fast I can get it to you.
Christian,I received the articles from Dan,thanks.

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 09:31:29 AM »
Ken Dufour and myself, are finishing up two versions of Bobby Jone’s Miss BJ. Ken’s is going to be a copy of Chuck Hall’s Miss RJ in white with red trim. Mine will be Major Bud Clarence Anderson’s old Crow from World War II. Pictures to come soon.
Tom McClain

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 08:42:36 AM »
Here is my “Old Crow” almost finished.
Tom McClain

Offline Gary Mondry

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 09:17:56 AM »
Foam wing?
AMA 10663

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2022, 11:52:09 AM »
Foam wing?

Nope.  Built up balsa with molded leading edge and CF reinforced main spars.
Tom McClain

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 06:03:39 PM »
Now if someone put a pdf or something on here of the SECOND Miss B J article , we would know it wasnt a phantom mythical beast .

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 06:14:36 PM »
Ink lines, controls, fuel system installed. Clear coats to go. Fly this week.
Tom McClain

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2022, 07:18:52 PM »
Both Miss BJs done and ready to fly on Friday.  Old Crow and Miss RJ.
Tom McClain

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2022, 08:16:17 AM »
Tom:  good ink-work!  Looks great!

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2022, 09:06:35 AM »
Tom:  good ink-work!  Looks great!

You won't believe I used a permanent black ink Sharpie to do the lines instead of a Rapidographic India Ink Pen.

Maybe Ken and I will fly them today.
Tom McClain

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2022, 08:26:52 AM »
You won't believe I used a permanent black ink Sharpie to do the lines instead of a Rapidographic India Ink Pen.

Maybe Ken and I will fly them today.

Ken and I have flown both Mustangs almost 10 flights. We are deep in the process of trimming them.
Tom McClain

Offline Gary Mondry

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2022, 10:33:23 AM »
How do you like them so far?  What engines do you have on them?  Are the wings plan thickness?
AMA 10663

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2022, 08:32:43 AM »
How do you like them so far?  What engines do you have on them?  Are the wings plan thickness?

So far we are happy with the initial flight characteristics, but we modified the wing to be thicker and double tapered and 4 inches longer.  Final weight came in at 48 oz.  We are using OS 35 Max S engines with OS 703 strap on mufflers.  We needed to drill out the muffler exit to 5/16 inch diameter to let the engine breathe easier.

I had an elevator flap pushrod failure with a threaded clevis and figure 9'd the Old Crow into the ground on the second flight.  The wing was trashed, but I have nearly finished a new wing and should have it back in the air in two weeks.

Ken's Miss RJ is coming along well and we see great potential in both.  Both flew right off on the first flight with no trim issues other than slightly nose heavy.  The fix for that is to go to an OS JetStream muffler which is 1.5 oz lighter.

We are going to fly Ken's again today.
Tom McClain

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2022, 04:15:36 PM »
So far we are happy with the initial flight characteristics, but we modified the wing to be thicker and double tapered and 4 inches longer.  Final weight came in at 48 oz.  We are using OS 35 Max S engines with OS 703 strap on mufflers.  We needed to drill out the muffler exit to 5/16 inch diameter to let the engine breathe easier.

I had an elevator flap pushrod failure with a threaded clevis and figure 9'd the Old Crow into the ground on the second flight.  The wing was trashed, but I have nearly finished a new wing and should have it back in the air in two weeks.

Ken's Miss RJ is coming along well and we see great potential in both.  Both flew right off on the first flight with no trim issues other than slightly nose heavy.  The fix for that is to go to an OS JetStream muffler which is 1.5 oz lighter.

We are going to fly Ken's again today.
Well we have several flights on both Miss BJs and are coming along well with the normal flight trimming of the leadoffs, tip weight, elevator to flap ratio, and CG.  We went to the OS 35 Jet Stream mufflers versus the OS 703 tube mufflers and the reduction of 1 oz in the nose was a big improvement in moving the CG back to where the maneuvers are not so big and the controls are much lighter for doing loops.

More to follow in the days to come.
Tom McClain

Online Roy DeCamara

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2022, 04:52:57 PM »
Hi Tom

Any chance of a picture of the failed pushrod??  Might help the rest of us to see what to guard against.  Nice looking model for sure.  Regards, Roy.

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2022, 09:45:32 PM »
Hi Tom

Any chance of a picture of the failed pushrod??  Might help the rest of us to see what to guard against.  Nice looking model for sure.  Regards, Roy.

What happened is I threaded what I thought were real 3/32 inch steel pushrods for Du-Bro 4/40 threaded Klevises and discovered when the threaded rod parted company with the klevis because there was no enough thread to stay with the klevis. Instant figure 9 into the ground. Ugly. Homemade threaded rods are a possible failure point.
Tom McClain

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2022, 08:17:08 AM »
What happened is I threaded what I thought were real 3/32 inch steel pushrods for Du-Bro 4/40 threaded Klevises and discovered when the threaded rod parted company with the klevis because there was no enough thread to stay with the klevis. Instant figure 9 into the ground. Ugly. Homemade threaded rods are a possible failure point.

When I used to work at the local hobby shop, people used to come in all the time asking for the correct size rod to thread with a 4-40 die so they could make custom pushrod ends. My answer is, "There isn't any."  The threads on small diameter rod and wire like 4-40 pushrods, bicycle spokes and such are not cut with a threading die. They are "rolled" into the rod/wire by a special machine that has three sharp wheels set in a pattern. These wheel push the thread into the rod and that raises material in the shape of the threads. If you look at the end of a typical push rod and feel the end of the thread where it meets the smooth part of the rod, you can see and feel that it is larger diameter than the rod. If you need a custom pushrod there are ends that can be soldered on to a length of what ever else you care to use. DuBro makes rods with threaded ends in several lengths  for this purpose also. I have been looking for one of these machines for a long time with no success, but a friend of mine has one . It's great for restoring the ends of spokes on vintage motorcycles, or making longer spokes the correct length and then adding the threaded length you need.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2022, 02:41:10 PM »
     When I used to work at the local hobby shop, people used to come in all the time asking for the correct size rod to thread with a 4-40 die so they could make custom pushrod ends. My answer is, "There isn't any."  The threads on small diameter rod and wire like 4-40 pushrods, bicycle spokes and such are not cut with a threading die. They are "rolled" into the rod/wire by a special machine that has three sharp wheels set in a pattern. These wheel push the thread into the rod and that raises material in the shape of the threads. If you look at the end of a typical push rod and feel the end of the thread where it meets the smooth part of the rod, you can see and feel that it is larger diameter than the rod. If you need a custom pushrod there are ends that can be soldered on to a length of what ever else you care to use. DuBro makes rods with threaded ends in several lengths  for this purpose also. I have been looking for one of these machines for a long time with no success, but a friend of mine has one . It's great for restoring the ends of spokes on vintage motorcycles, or making longer spokes the correct length and then adding the threaded length you need.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Now you tell me.  I learned that through bitter experience  of building another wing.
Tom McClain

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here