News:

• May 07, 2024, 01:38:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Minneapolis Piston Poppers New Year's Freeze Fly  (Read 880 times)

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
Minneapolis Piston Poppers New Year's Freeze Fly
« on: January 02, 2010, 05:18:47 PM »
Our New Year's Freeze Fly is our largest turnout function of the year.  This is our 18th year hosting this event.  Weather started out at 2ºF and climbed all the way up to 5ºF.  We had about 20 members show up.  Hot chili and cocoa is provided by the club to everyone and all who put up a flight gets their names put into a hat for prizes.  Everyone who flies gets a prize.  Prizes generously donated by SS Hobbies.

Most of the members who braved single digit temps for our annual Freeze Fly

Some additional plowing was required to avoid snagging the lines on takeoff/landing

US F2C team members Steve Wilk (L) and Dave Fischer (R) pose with their team racer and travel box.  They will compete in Hungary for the World Control Line Championships this summer.  They term themselves as the NASCAR of modeling, where pit stops and techniques are every bit as important as air speed.

Norm Andersen, our professional artist/member, always shows up with a unique seasonal-themed project.  Shown here is a regulation hockey stick with wings/motor.  Yes, it does fly - and can do loops, figure eights and inverted flight.

Steve Wilk tunes a slow combat CL ship for his college-aged daughter, Ashley's flight.  She has numerous NATS wins in CL Speed, Racing and Combat.

Mike Moyan had his grandaughter, Maria, on a training handle.  She also got to ride around in the ATV and, of course, went home with a prize.

Minneapolis firefighter Keith Sandberg fuels up a .15 powered racer.  LOTS of starter fluid required for this -16ºF wind chill day.  Fliers consumed mass quantities of hot chili and cocoa as well.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 08:24:52 PM by Steve Scott »

ChrisSarnowski

Re: Minneapolis Piston Poppers New Year's Freeze Fly
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 06:01:09 PM »
I just love that flying hockey stick! #^

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 02:34:05 PM »
 It was another great F-F-Frrrozen F-F-Fun F-F-Fly D-D-Day this year and we all had a great time. Thanks to our club guys who helped organize, plow and set up everything for the event. THANKS A TON to Joe Mader and the gang at Sam's Stuff Hobbies for their outstanding support of our event. Everyone went home with something including myself who now has a new "Perky" kit to add to my must build list!
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 06:34:12 PM »
  You guys/gals are having too much fun.  Makes me feel bad, but I don't know where our club is flying since the loss of the circle.  By the way the Perky is a challenge.  I finally got started on mine.  Hope the Fox .15 Schnuerle will be enough power.  Also it is hard to believe the little girl I almost ran down is now a college age good looking lady.  Time flies when your having fun.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here