News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:47:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mike Gretz's Fierce Arrow  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Mike Gretz's Fierce Arrow
« on: October 25, 2020, 10:00:36 PM »
    I have been pecking away at working out the bugs in this model since I got it from Bob Nelson at the SIG Fun Fly a couple of years ago. I don't think Mike flew it much or if at ll, and when it was brand new I'm sure it was something to see. It's picked up some hanger rash in a couple of spots but still holds it's charm in my opinion.

This is the model I mentioned in another thread that I had to file the flat spot on the needle of the Fox .35 in order to get the model to richen up enough before the needle fell out. There was a problem fueling the model because there were only two lines coming from the tank which is built into the fuselage. One for the fuel pick up and one for the over flow. To fuel it at first, I had to take the small cowling off and fill it through the pick up line. If that wasn't bad enough, the over flow ran straight out the bottom, and something not right in the tank kept it from become tip top full, and even on 5% fuel there was not enough to do the pattern. I came up with the addition of a snorkel tube attached to the side of the fuselage that looks sorta period correct, and attached it to the over flow tube on the bottom of the fuselage. This let me get a full four ounces of fuel in the tank.

The next obstacle was rust coming out of the tank after I ran it a few times and it clogged the fuel filter. I started as program of filling the tank with ordinary white vinegar and letting it soak for a couple of days, flushed it out with scrap fuel, and then run a tank of SIG Champion half and half fuel through it on the ground until I could tell the filter was clogging again. This acted like a sonic cleaner action and shook loose any rust that the vinegar loosened up. Other things kept me busy and that process took a while but eventually I could put ground runs on it with nothing collecting in the filter. I have flown it about a dozen flights since then and so far so good. I store it with the tank filled and capped off.

Next came trying to make it easier to fuel and more like a normal model. I decided I had just enough room between the firewall and the fuel nipple on the spray bar for a fuel filter and a Tee fitting. I made a copper filler tube that I soldered to a tab that goes under the head of a motor mount bolt  and wraps around the engine and is right above and behind the venturi and connected it to the TEE fitting with another piece of fuel line. This filler tube is capped off for running. I'll be darned if that whole plumbing nightmare works pretty well! To fuel it, I can reach into the cowl with forceps and pinch off the fuel line and when it is full, push the cap onto the filler tube. I think you can see that in a portion of the accompanying video. The last few times I have flown it have been just like flying anything else I have as far as fueling and such now, so things move along a little faster. I also changed out the Top Flite butter knife blade 10-6 for a Rev-Up 10-6EW and that made a significant improvement. This model weighs 50 ounces, and when I first got it I had a hard time comprehending that the old Fox.35 in it would be capable of flying the pattern, but as you will see in the accompanying video it does do the patter pretty well. The next order of business is some tweaking of the line spacing on the handle. I fly it with SIG 5% Fox fuel or 5% Champion with some castor added, Glow Devil R/C long plug, and now the Rev-Up 10-6EW all on 60 ft. eye to eye lines. I added 1/2 ounce nose weight last time out. It balances about where it is supposed to on the plans, but is kind of twitchy, and when the engine quits and it slows down, becomes a hand full for landing. The extra nose weight helped that a bit. In addition to working on handle adjustments, the next improvement will be some kind of exhaust stack. The engine has no muffler ears, and it will have to be installed and retained after the cowl is put on. The stack will help with the engine bark some, but I really like the way it sounds. Winter is knocking at the door here in the Midwest, so most of the next round of improvements will be next year.

This whole project is intended to be a tribute to my friend Mike Gretz, who was taken from us far too soon, and I miss our chats about old models, Lindberg and aviation history in general . I want to thank Fred Cronenwett for doing the camera work on this and the Cox model videos. Check out his video channel for all sorts of stuff related t control line models.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Mike Gretz's Fierce Arrow
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 06:04:30 AM »
NICE!!

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 06:42:55 AM »
Fun to watch!  Always thought that was an interesting design.
Jim Vigani

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 08:22:27 AM »
The 57 F.A. is my fav sport stunt model of all time. I built three of them and still have two (a 57 version and an 875).
Lovely video,  model & flying site. Thanks for sharing.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 09:08:41 AM »
Thank you, Dan, for this work you've done. Bill Netzeband and Mike Gretz memories. Wonderful.

The Fierce Arrow created quite a stir in 1957, just like the Half Fast before it. "Wild" Bill's designs were wild, but, as everyone who met him knew, he was actually a very "Mild" Bill.

And thanks to Fred, also, beautiful work,

dale g

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 11:59:06 AM »
Cool.  I hadn't yet seen a Delta wing C/L model.  Thanks for sharing.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 12:00:39 PM »
"Wild" Bill's designs were wild, but, as everyone who met him knew, he was actually a very "Mild" Bill.

An absolutely great guy, and underappreciated for his contributions. People complaining about his contributions to Stunt News was a real low point and very disappointing, and had a marked effect on what I have subsequently done. Same sort of thing you see here sometimes, and I quote  - "I didn't join up to get a math lesson!".

The Fierce Arrow was in interesting idea but suffers greatly from the "camber the wrong way" problem. The later offset hinge version was an attempt to fix it, basically trying to turn it into a (very short-coupled) conventional design, and flew better. It's easy to see now.

Everything is obvious  - after someone else figured it out 60 years ago!

Brett

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 12:39:45 PM »
As has been stated, thanks for the work on restoring the plane and Fred for the video.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Lindberg

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 06:12:00 AM »
That is really nice!  D>K

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 09:21:21 AM »
Thanks Dan

Wonderful memories of that plane, though I never built one, a club member had one.  It was about '59 or so that I saw it.  We all marveled at it..

What a marvelous run out of that Fox!  A beautiful sound.  Anything special about it.

Thanks for posting.

Frank

Offline Doug Moisuk

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 06:51:31 PM »
   An absolutely great guy, and underappreciated for his contributions. People complaining about his contributions to Stunt News was a real low point and very disappointing, and had a marked effect on what I have subsequently done. Same sort of thing you see here sometimes, and I quote  - "I didn't join up to get a math lesson!".

The Fierce Arrow was in interesting idea but suffers greatly from the "camber the wrong way" problem. The later offset hinge version was an attempt to fix it, basically trying to turn it into a (very short-coupled) conventional design, and flew better. It's easy to see now.

Everything is obvious  - after someone else figured it out 60 years ago!

Brett

Brett. What do you mean by the “camber the wrong way” problem?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 09:26:34 PM by Doug Moisuk »
Doug Moisuk
MAAC 3360L

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 08:12:08 PM »
Bill  was redesigning the FA and farming out the building chores, with a bit of a newsletter, late in his life. In answer to my question about why he didn't employ certain changes we had discussed, he said simply, "Then it wouldn't be a 'Fierce Arrow'." He tried to work within the confines of the concept. I loved talking with him. He tried his best to help others, but some just couldn't tolerate people enjoying anything they themselves couldn't or wouldn't make an effort to understand. He took some hits from people who should have valued him and all his efforts to promote CL and keep it interesting. He didn't always get it right, but he kept it interesting and sometimes exciting. Best of luck with your FA projects.

Offline Doug Moisuk

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 09:44:05 PM »
ST .46 in mine with FA 400 elevator.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 11:36:47 PM by Doug Moisuk »
Doug Moisuk
MAAC 3360L

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 04:55:23 AM »
All this brings me back to my old "nothing showy" Midwest Half Fast III I built at around 13 way back when. Last time up a few years back it lost its elevator, now thinking about making it a revitalization project this winter. Bill sure made his mark with flying wings.
Steve

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2020, 05:16:58 PM »
If the pics load, here is a Half Fast built recently from Umland kit. LA40 power. Yes, with landing gear and tailwheel. Asphalt is not kind on gearless landings. I built one at age 15, about 1962. Flies fine, gear does not seem to upset the maneuvering - but since I've only flown it this way, hard to tell. Have considered adding a tail boom to make it sort of a VooFast and turn better, but "then it wouldn't be a Half Fast."

Click on "IMG" and it will show pic upright. Don't know why system loads pics sideways.

Offline Doug Moisuk

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2020, 05:45:59 PM »
If the pics load, here is a Half Fast built recently from Umland kit. LA40 power. Yes, with landing gear and tailwheel. Asphalt is not kind on gearless landings. I built one at age 15, about 1962. Flies fine, gear does not seem to upset the maneuvering - but since I've only flown it this way, hard to tell. Have considered adding a tail boom to make it sort of a VooFast and turn better, but "then it wouldn't be a Half Fast."

Click on "IMG" and it will show pic upright. Don't know why system loads pics sideways.

So half a Half Fast would be 1/4 Fast?
Doug Moisuk
MAAC 3360L

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2020, 05:49:29 PM »
Brett. What do you mean by the “camber the wrong way” problem?

What that means is that when you give it, say, "up" elevator, it pitches nose-up, but also changes the camber in the wing like any other flap. That's what flaps are for, you change from a symmetrical airfoil to a cambered airfoil, which gives you lift at a low AoA. Unfortunately, on airplanes like the Fierce Arrow, the camber in the wing is appropriate for *outside turns* when you give it "up" elevator, i.e. it cambers the wing the wrong way for inside turns.   It's like trying to do outside loops in a Piper Cub, the airfoil fights you instead of helping you.

It also has  very odd control response right around neutral, typically. What usually happens as you slowly increase the elevator is that for the first little bit of movement, say, "up", it doesn't pitch very much but it does start to go down because the lift it biased towards "down", a little further, and it starts to pitch up, and by now, the pilot has panicked and given a bunch of up, which works. Small corrections go the wrong direction and you react to that by correcting further . If you watch the video from the thread, you can see this as the wild wobbling up and down at takeoff.

One attempted "fix" (which as I recall was the system shown on the FA 800 or FA 1200) and made as modification for the litte one was to offset the hinge. The original plans had the elevator hinged right at the leading edge. That maximized the "wrong way" problem. Later, they moved the hinge line so it was offset about 3/4" into the elevator, so the leading edge of the elevator went down as the elevator went "up". The idea was to both coutner-balance the elevator, but mostly, to allow a gap to form in between the wing and flap so that air would pass through it, and not be as severely affected by the flap having moved the wrong way. Essentially, they made it a stabilator with a 3/4" tail moment, or so they hoped. It does tend to break up the flow to reduce the "I gave it up but it started to sink" problem.

The airplanes are clearly flyable, so I would just go out and fly them, and see how they do. I have seen other airplanes with the same idea that *were not remotely flyable*, Bob Hazle had one where the back half of the wing was made of two articulated flap segments, completely unflyable due to an extreme case of the problem I described above.

Brett

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2020, 06:41:23 PM »

(Clip)

The airplanes are clearly flyable, so I would just go out and fly them, and see how they do. I have seen other airplanes with the same idea that *were not remotely flyable*, Bob Hazle had one where the back half of the wing was made of two articulated flap segments, completely unflyable due to an extreme case of the problem I described above.

Brett

If that is the same airplane that Bob Hazle brought to VSC/Tuscon one year, it was the so called "Fllying Wing", plans were published in the September 1951 issue of Air Trails.  Its articulated elevator was well over 1/3 of its total area.  I watched Bob fly it once and it acted like it was barely flyable.  I think getting it on the ground in one piece was an accomplishment.  Flopping and flailing is probably the best way to describe the flight.

The plans are in the Tom Morris' OTS drawings book.

I think Bob got some recognition for it being the most unusual OTS airplane that year.

Keith

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2020, 07:22:21 PM »
If that is the same airplane that Bob Hazle brought to VSC/Tuscon one year, it was the so called "Fllying Wing", plans were published in the September 1951 issue of Air Trails.  Its articulated elevator was well over 1/3 of its total area.  I watched Bob fly it once and it acted like it was barely flyable.  I think getting it on the ground in one piece was an accomplishment.  Flopping and flailing is probably the best way to describe the flight.

I was present for at least one of those. Bob wisely used his most-clapped-out engine, anticipating that something unfortuate might happen.

Brett

From my July 2000 District 10 report:

Air Trails "Wing"

As mentioned earlier, a lot of people at VSC seek out unusual designs. Bob Hazle seems to have set that standard to a new high with his Air Trails "Wing". Winner of a design contest in the early 50's, this has to be the most unusual design that I've seen. In planform, it very reminiscent of the Zimmer "Skimmer" (AKA "Flying Pancake") carrier fighter prototype from WWII. It's about a 36" span, which given the very low aspect ratio makes for a pretty good bit of wing area. Bob's is very lightly built with his usual excellent F/F style workmanship and uses an OS35S, all of which makes for a pretty low wing loading.

Bob Hazle holds his Air Trails "Wing" in profile. Note articulated elevators and complex mechanism to drive them, and the nice undercambered airfoil they create to lift it "up". Unfortunately, the controls are intended to give "down" in this case! (Buck photo)

The unusual aspect of this model is the complex articulated elevator system. The moving part of the elevator is hinged in two parts. They are linked together and actuated by a complex and clever set of bellcranks and rods. The linkages are set to deflect the elevators into a nice smooth curve. The resulting airfoil is a very nice-looking undercambered section with a variable overall camber depending on the control deflection.
Unfortunately, this is where the trouble starts. Giving "up" elevator results in an airfoil that is cambered and efficient. But it's cambered the wrong way! I drew up a little force/torque diagram below. Giving up elevator creates a lot of positive pitch torque. It also creates an angle of attack and camber to create lift in the "down" direction. It's like putting your prop on backwards! It's not even obvious which way the airplane will go with a given a control input. Will the wing pitch around and create an angle of attack to overcome the camber and reverse airfoil, or will it just lift itself into the ground? A complete analysis would require a lot of differential equations. I'm guessing these were not done in the design process.

<<<< photo 3 here (dist10_07_00_pict3.jpg)>>>>

Force and torque diagram for the WING with "up" elevator applied.

Bob flew the airplane once at VSC. He had the foresight to put together an engine from broken parts (cracked piston, etc.) in case of a "departure from controlled flight". It managed to shake itself loose early in the flight, precluding attempts at any significant maneuvering. This was probably just as well. The engine may have done this out of a sense of self-preservation. Take-off and level flight were hair-raising to say the least. In talking to Bob and analyzing from the outside, it appears that at very small control deflections, the controls act in the opposite direction from elevator motion. That is, small amount of "up" elevator makes the airplane sink due to the lift in the wrong direction. A large deflection appears to act rapidly in the right direction. The net result is the airplane is extremely difficult to even fly around level. If the airplane starts getting a little low, the pilot will apply "up" elevator, which makes it sink even faster, resulting in more control deflection, which makes it sink faster, resulting in even more up. Eventually, the pilot applies enough "up" to overcome the control reversal and up it shoots. Halting this motion must take some impressive skills.
Bob's flight at VSC exhibited this phenomena amply - it would slowly sink until he got in enough control, then violently wobbled up and down as he tried to damp out the resulting zoom climb. Another thing that Bob indicated was that the stock control setup was very sensitive. At least this could be solved. The "lift the wrong way" problem probably can't. It also appears that the pushrods are under extreme stress - Bob broke most of the control horns in on flight last year.  This year, he replaced the stock wire/bushing pushrods with the big Rocket City 1/4" ball links. After one flight these were noticeably loose. This is amazing to me since I have 40-60 piped airplanes with 3000+ flights on them using these links and they are still like new.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2020, 06:14:50 AM »
How does an F-102 get around this problem?
Steve

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2020, 09:45:37 AM »

Click on "IMG" and it will show pic

Mike,

This added gear seems feasible and gets around needing a launcher which is often problematic getting it right. I think I'll include it on the rebuild, nothing lost of it doesn't work I'll simply remove it.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2020, 10:31:53 AM »

The same way all delta flying wings do... by making a LOT of drag.  If a FA or an F106 (I prefer the 106 over the 102 cause I flew it for a few years ;D) had a separate elevator behind the wing, it would create a given amount of lift at a specific Angle of attack. 

Since the elevator is attached to the wing, up elevator changes the camber, changing the coefficient of lift (in the wrong direction) requiring an increased angle of attack to produce the same amount of lift in the above example. Increased AOA means increased induced drag.

The 106\102 were designed to go fast is a straight line. They did that very well.  But, they didn’t turn worth a hoot.  They would give one eye watering, high G, low turn radius “bat turn” but then they were done.  That turn cost a lot of airspeed and then turn performance was mediocre at best. 

Now, all airplanes suffer from this phenomenon, but a delta flying wing is doubly cursed: the low aspect ratio delta wing platform bleeds energy and it suffers from the change in camber making the problem worse.

The T-38 is perhaps the best example of a delta wing with a conventional tail.  It bleeds energy almost as bad as the 106.  There is a reason our stutters didn’t evolve to look like jet fighters.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2020, 12:04:42 PM »

It doesn't, but it's also not intended to maneuver precisely at low speeds - in fact delta-winged airplanes are notorious for their poor low-speed handling, and having to fly at extraordinary AoA.  The delta was used because it worked well at supersonic speeds, not because it was a good dogfighter. The F-102 was intended to go fast in a straight line and get ahead of some bombers in a position to fire missiles (or unguided rockets with nuclear warheads) at them. Eventually, the F-106 (originally the F-102D) actually managed it. It did have good high-altitude handling due to the low wing loading.

These sorts of models work at all because they are very light, overcoming the disadvantage of having low CLs. But they are pretty easy to build, so anyone can check out how they work and try to work around these problems. Wild Bill never managed it, so I figure I don't have much chance.

Note that the same problem happens, in an even more extreme case, with canards - which are just as heavy as conventional models, but still have the "camber wrong way" problem, usually much worse.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2020, 02:42:48 PM »
The same way all delta flying wings do... by making a LOT of drag.  If a FA or an F106 (I prefer the 106 over the 102 cause I flew it for a few years ;D) had a separate elevator behind the wing, it would create a given amount of lift at a specific Angle of attack. 

Since the elevator is attached to the wing, up elevator changes the camber, changing the coefficient of lift (in the wrong direction) requiring an increased angle of attack to produce the same amount of lift in the above example. Increased AOA means increased induced drag.

The 106\102 were designed to go fast is a straight line. They did that very well.  But, they didn’t turn worth a hoot.  They would give one eye watering, high G, low turn radius “bat turn” but then they were done.  That turn cost a lot of airspeed and then turn performance was mediocre at best. 

Now, all airplanes suffer from this phenomenon, but a delta flying wing is doubly cursed: the low aspect ratio delta wing platform bleeds energy and it suffers from the change in camber making the problem worse.

The T-38 is perhaps the best example of a delta wing with a conventional tail.  It bleeds energy almost as bad as the 106.  There is a reason our stutters didn’t evolve to look like jet fighters.

Hey Bruce!!
     I remember well the time you and your Dad were at the SIG C/L contest when we arrived one year, and knowing at that time that you had been in F-15's through the first Gulf war and some other endeavors, I asked you what equipment you were flying then and you said  "F-106's" with a sly grin on your face! The only way I knew what you were talking about was that the company that was converting high time ex-Air Force fighters to target drones was at Alton Civic Memorial Airport in Alton Illinois at that time, and through some other contacts I heard that they were doing a  batch of F-106 fighters. As the crow flies I live only about 15 or 20 miles from that airport, and they must have done any test flying out over central Illinois, as I never saw any in the sky in my travels in my area. We did hear an errant6 sonic boom form time to time, and that was more frequent at the time they were working on the 106. I'll bet that raises some eye brows when some one that is some what knowledgeable views your log books!  The 102/106 was one of my favorite airplanes that doesn't have a propeller, as are all the Century Series fighters. I would love to see one of those in the air, along with a B-58 Huslter. I have long been a fan of flying wings and delta designs. If you know SIG products, you know the name Paul McIlrath from their rubber powered free flight models and other magazine articles. Hi son, Paul Jr., was frequently at the SIG contest flying stunt and judging. Paul Jr was lucky enough to have met and worked with Dr. Alexander Lippisch  just as he graduated from college. I should have put your two together when you were there, but that is one problem with contests, the days are too short and there are never enough of them to get in all that you want to do. Thanks for jumping in to the thread and your information.

Brett;
    Thanks for the explanation of the "wrong way camber" effect. On my first flights of the airplane, just round and round with an occasional loop, I think I only experienced the phenomenon on take offs and landings, and I did have the idea that it was just "a delta wing thing" and that it may have been just a tad tail heavy. It was only on the last couple of flights that I made wi8th it with a new handle and the nose weight that I tried to really hit the marks on the maneuvers,  and I don't recall anything funny during the powered portions of flight. My next time out with it I will pay more attention on what is going on. On take offs, it seems to jump right into the air, and I haven't been able to get it to stay on the ground, and with slight down input trying to achieve that, it may be exhibiting that backward camber effect. On landings, the thing doesn't exactly have a great glide. I think I am pretty good at landings, but haven't gotten this airplane figured out. As soon as the engine quits it starts to slow down immediately, and as far as my memory serves me, its at a certain speed that it gets really squirrelly. It was a bit better with the extra nose weight, but more flights are needed. I think I am getting more comfortable with the airplane and have more confidence in it to be able to be more observant as I fly it. I realize that I will only get to a certain level of trim with this as it is presented to me, but my main interest is to keep the model as original as possible and fly it only occasionally because of what it is and who built it. I'm just thrilled to own it, and feel that it must be kept in flying condition in honor of who designed it and who built it.

I appreciate everyone's interest in it. I have long been a fan of flying wings and delta configuration aircraft. I built some scratch built gliders and such along with all the usual 1/2A  combat kits we all did as a kid and read what ever I could on the subjects, what little I could really understand! I have flown a Berkeley Orbiting Ace, and I also have Half Fast plans and a kit by Walter Umland that I ought to throw together for some experiments, At one of the last SIG C/L contests, Mike Pratt had a new model that he was working on at the time that was a delta wing that he called 'Delta Force" that got my interest, but he has stalled on that project. The Half Fast could provide me with a platform for a simple test, and that is to find out just how little elevator area one would need for maneuvering? On this design and on all other similar designs, they have the elevator run the length of the trailing edge. It wouldn't be too hard to cut that down to about half, and see how that affects things, not getting any camber change on the outer half of each wing??. I would just use a Fox .35 or  similar engine and it would even be legal for Classic if I were so inclined, and I would add the landing gear as the other example presented here has done.

I believe that Bill Netzaband lived here in the St. Louis area about the time that he designed some of his models including the Half Fast and the Fierce Arrow. Two members of our club, Gary Hajek and Paul Gedders were teenagers at that time and they say that Bill would often load up his car with them and their models and head off to contests. Sure would have been fun to go along on some of those trips! Paul emailed me and said that the original was painted in the same pattern as Mike's model but he remembers it being yellow in stead of cream. Either would look good. I have plans, bot the magazine plans and John Miller redrawn plans, for the 400 Fierce Arrow and want to do that in the same paint scheme. I had exchanged some emails with Bill about the model and some problems with the magazine plan and he suggested using a modern .15 in it instead of the .19 that is shown on the plan. I have yet to make that decision. Todd Lee built a 400 when he was in college and did pretty well in classic competition with it, and it's smaller size makes it easier to build, store transport and cheaper to build also.

Some one mentioned the engine run and yes, it does sound neat!! I have yet to remove the engine from the model but as far as I can tell, it's just an stock, early three bolt back plate Fox .35 with no muffler ears. running on what ever 5% nitro fuel I have at easy reach, and probably the last modification I will make to the plane will be some sort of exhaust stack to get the goo out of the engine compartment as much as possible. Gotta study how to do that so I don't butcher up the airplane, but do have some ideas, just need the time to spend on it.

Thanks again and keep comments coming!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2020, 06:57:29 PM »
The Guillow's "Reactor" might fit in this thread. I had one of these and it flew fairly well as I don't recall it acting squirrely.

It was a good kit with pre-formed plastic wing tips. Pre-cut circular hinge slots for the pre-cut circular hinges was a nice touch if one remembered to glue them to both the trailing edge and the elevator.....

dg

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2022, 05:16:02 PM »
ST .46 in mine with FA 400 elevator.

Hey Doug,

Have you flown this yet?..

Gord V
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Doug Moisuk

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2022, 09:31:40 PM »
Hey Doug,

Have you flown this yet?..

Gord V

Not yet. Maybe this summer.
Doug Moisuk
MAAC 3360L

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2022, 01:09:21 AM »
Nice tribute to Mike Gretz Dan. I'm sure he would have been Honored. You have a nice flying site there. Very cool video.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2022, 07:26:12 AM »
  I built a lot of the half-fast models. There were three different versions. But not a lot of difference between them. Won combat at Jacksonville once with one around 1976. One mod most did was to cut elevator so tapered parts do not move. To much elevator and plane will turn in at you. I used green head and they were fast for there time.
 I would think your model will be nice to fly at low stunt speeds.  I never saw all the talk about model not turning correct. Have fun.
 EddyY

Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here