News:

• April 23, 2024, 09:25:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mike's new ride  (Read 2496 times)

Online Mike Haverly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Mike's new ride
« on: May 14, 2006, 11:17:16 PM »
I finally got this thing done and flying yesterday.  I started Dec. 25 and went through a learning curve, mostly with finishing.  This was my first shot at automotive clear coat.  From 10 feet it looks good but I still see all the mistakes.
Stats.
Around 50 oz. RO Jett .40 w/pipe,  65' .015 lines, RO Jett 10/22 Powermaster fuel.   So far the best prop is a Bolly 11.5 x 4 three blade. Started out with 5.9 sec laps and finally got down to 5.2 with a launch rpm of 10,200. Fifth flight got me through the pattern but still have many trim issues.  I repitched the prop to 4.5 today and worked over the flaps to remove outboard wing high problem.  I'm sure I have too much tip weight also, but I'll deal with that a little later.  This engine runs aw some.  I seems like I can just dial an rpm and that's where it stays for the whole  flight.
Mike

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
Re: Mike's new ride
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 06:14:28 AM »
That is beautiful.  Is this the RSM kit or plans built.
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 06:41:05 AM »
Absolutely stunning! You did a beautiful job on this plane. I don't think I could teach you anything.  y1
AMA 12366

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 06:51:09 AM »
Mike,

That is GORGEOUS!!!!!! f~ %^ y1 #^ x:

Get that puppy trimmed and have a ball!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 10:39:26 PM by Bill Little »
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 08:48:52 AM »
MIKEY!

Looks great. You've come a long way, Mike. The plane looks really great. Can't wait to see it live at the Regionals.

Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Curmudgeon

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 02:59:02 PM »
Not only is this plane drop dead gorgeous in these photo's, I got really lucky this weekend and not only got to watch this planes first flights, but to help launch once or twice.  j1 Not even tweaked yet, it flew like it was on rails. Most impressive.  y1

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 03:41:46 PM »
She's beautiful , Mike  y1

I'm sure she'll appreciate a little caressing , to get her flying right :)
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Online Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 08:14:12 PM »
Thanks for the nice words.  This was an RSM  kit.  Very nice kit, excellent wood and of course being laser cut the fit was perfect.  I'm not very creative so I copied Dee's trim scheme.  I now have all three versions of the Oriental designs, I guess it's time to move on.

Mike
Mike

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 01:11:59 PM »
Very very nice! **)
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 03:36:58 PM »
So Mike, this mean you're moving up to Expert?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 10:37:31 PM »
No, Randy, I said "move on" not move up!  I can only hope to keep this one  all the way through Regionals without an "early" landing.  I went to Emerald downs last night.  Managed to suck up my piece of carpet I use for take off into my freshly tweaked Bolly.  We are required to use something to protect the asphault from our toxic fuel.  I guess I'll have to find something a little stiffer, like maybe plywood or sheet metal like PW uses.  Only broke one of the three blades, kinda like when you get a flat tire and it is only flat on one side!  Didn't hurt the plane but I never did find the pieces of prop; lucky, coulda been in my face!

Mike
Mike

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 01:05:31 PM »
Mike,

I have an Oriental to put together but don't know what the plus on yours means.  Tell me the difference?  ???
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Online Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 04:25:44 PM »
The Oriental Plus is Dee Rice's latest design of his Oriental, not even close the same as the others.  The Nov-Dec 2004 Stunt News had a building article and the picture of Dee and his two Oriental Plus' are on the cover.  It is a 607 sq. in.  piped .40 model kitted by RSM with plans available through PAMPA.

Mike
Mike

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 04:02:14 PM »
Mike Sighting:

As Mike used the Dee Rice setup, complete with RO-Jett .40 BSRE, pipe, prop, lines, fuel, etc., it seemed odd that it was such a struggle to get the lap times up to where the model could fly properly. It started out at 6 sec. laps, and needed about 5.2 sec. laps, with 2 oz of nose weight and a lot of prop tweeking.

However, Mike got the O-Plus got pretty well dialed at the last moment, and gave John Thompson a good "go" in Advanced. JT took it by .5 points.

In P.40, Mike flew his usual lavender/white Profile Oriental into 1st,  this time with a new OS .40LA-S in place of the Tower .40. This was a weekend where a bigger engine and model was superior to the dreaded .21FP's, most of which seemed to stay home or leave early.

Allana Perry won Intermediate with her NoblARF with .46LA, ("flying for two"). Bruce managed 5th in Expert,  flying "Legend", his '90 Kiev WC model, even though "Jester" made some big strides toward trimming on Saturday. PW won Expert, with Brett in 2nd. Congratulations to all for their ''git 'er done'' attitude. It was nasty. My raingear needs some Scotch Guard or something...ideas?  :o  Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 01:13:28 PM »
My raingear needs some Scotch Guard or something...ideas?

I understand.  I judged Saturday ,in the rain, all day.  I was wearing (in order) 2 tee shirts, a green fleece shirt, a red fleece jacket, a heavy jacket and a Gore Tex "rain proof" jacket.  When I returned to the hotel, I was wet down to the green fleece shirt!! :(

So Sunday, I stayed under the tent until it was my turn.  I stayed much drier then!

I find that these water proof items only seen to stay waterproof for a few washings!

PW

Offline stunt1

• ACE
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 09:47:14 PM »
Mike,
Beautiful job. Looks as good as Dee's.
Bob Lampione
Bob "Champione" Lampione