News:

• April 24, 2024, 01:17:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Midwest PT-19 kit plan by Dave Hemstrought  (Read 1669 times)

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Midwest PT-19 kit plan by Dave Hemstrought
« on: August 02, 2019, 09:11:50 AM »
Does anyone have an actual kit plan for the Midwest PT-19 kit by Dave H.?
If so, I wish to scan it, make a PDF of it and send it back to you you after I have made the copy. I'll reimburse you for the postage, and email you a copy of the PDF when done.

Outerzone has a nice copy but it is not the Midwest kit plan.

Thanks,
George

Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: Midwest PT-19 kit plan by Dave Hemstrought
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 03:38:57 PM »
i sell an autocad plan of the  Exact PT 19 that Dave Flew

Randy

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 03:54:25 PM »
Two places you might find them. The AMA section of plans from magazines and from the  John Ponds collection.  It list two:   Plan #45E4 from the American Modeler 9/60  and plan #82E3 from the Midwest Products  Company. 

Once in the AMA site, go to "Shop" and click on plans. When the John Pond 2019 collection comes up, click on the letter "P".   I went  to F for Fairchild. Seems if you want a P 51, You go to N for North American. So much  for logic.   Any way, the kit plans  are $20.00 and the magazine plans are $13.00.  Hope this helps finding a set of plans. H^^

Thank you Ty.

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 04:10:39 PM »
i sell an autocad plan of the  Exact PT 19 that Dave Flew

Randy

Thanks Randy
George

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 04:34:21 PM »
I saw Dave and his PT-19 many times until about 10 years ago when he stopped coming to Huntersville. He was flying newer  design models but he always looked great fling his PT-19  He also had a great looking classic Rabe P-51
Ed
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 10:30:31 AM by EddyR »
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 07:51:35 PM »
I saw Dave and his PT-19 many times until about 10 years ago when he stopped coming to Huntersville. I was flying newer  design models but he always looked great fling his PT-19  He also had a great looking classic Rabe P-51
Ed

I learned to fly inverted on that PT-19. The model flew very nicely, then one day while flying, the lines snapped. Flew free flight very nicely for about 100 feet then veered to the right and got rekitted. I had bought it off a guy by the name of John Gimbal in the '70's. I miss that plane.

I have a copy of the magazine plan from the '60's. That plan shows a solid sheet tail. As best as I can remember, mines was built up and tissued.

George

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 10:27:05 PM »
   Hi George;
     I have the Midwest kit of that airplane, and the Umland kit. If the AMA plans service doesn't not help you let me know and I will look into seeing if Kinkos can scan it and put it on a disc of thumb drive for me, or make you a paper copy. i don't know what Walter used as the basis for his kit, the mag plan or the kit plan, but the magazine plans are generally more true to the original as we know kit manufacturers were known to modify designs to get the kits into standard boxes.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 09:57:52 AM »
Thank you for your kind offer Dan. I'll let you know.

Thanks,

George Albo

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 10:24:44 AM »
The Midwest PT-19 used a unique wing structure not likely shown on any other non-kit plan. 

The Midwest kit split the ribs horizontally, just below the chord line.  This enabled the builder to frame up the wing over the plans on a flat building board.  Then the builder is supposed to glue the bottom halves onto the ribs and finish the other side of the wing.  Never saw any other kit use anything like that system, and it still put a lot of pressure on the builder to jig-up the half-wing so that the bottom could be built onto it straight.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 01:08:58 PM »
I built a kit PT-19 as you described.  Each rib had a section of the lower half die-cut off so the wing could lie flat on a board.  Then the bottom sections of the ribs
 were glued back on.

I had a second kit that I traded to Big Art for some engine work.  Most likely, the unbuilt kit was part of his collection.
Paul Smith

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 01:46:50 PM »
The Midwest PT-19 used a unique wing structure not likely shown on any other non-kit plan. 

The Midwest kit split the ribs horizontally, just below the chord line.  This enabled the builder to frame up the wing over the plans on a flat building board.  Then the builder is supposed to glue the bottom halves onto the ribs and finish the other side of the wing.  Never saw any other kit use anything like that system, and it still put a lot of pressure on the builder to jig-up the half-wing so that the bottom could be built onto it straight.

As you might imagine I've been looking online for information to gleam from the kit plans. I saw a partial wing online. It did have a cut across the rib to accomodate this type of build. I found it interesting that Midwest did this for this kit and none other. I did get my answer with regards to the tail feathers. the original did use solid balsa. I did not find any other details. I do remember the built up rudder as I had to repair it from a minor landing mishap, until the inevitable ultimately happened. If anything, I'll build my copy from the magazine plan that I have. unless I get something better. I will incorporate a built up rudder like the one I had though

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here