News:

• April 24, 2024, 05:59:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MEDIUM SILKSPAN???  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
MEDIUM SILKSPAN???
« on: January 20, 2022, 06:52:31 AM »
Hello guys!
Where can I get MEDIUM or HEAVY SILKSPAN (at a reasonable price preferably... ;D)???

Later...
Claudio.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: MEDIUM SILKSPAN???
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 08:12:39 AM »
i think you should look at Doctor Paper if you only need a couple sheets, both SIG and Brodak have silkspan available but the shipping for just the silkspan is expensive.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 08:24:57 AM »
Hello guys!
Where can I get MEDIUM or HEAVY SILKSPAN (at a reasonable price preferably... ;D)???

Later...
Claudio.

Where are you located?

Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 08:32:21 AM »
    Where are you located?

Dan McEntee

Hi Dan!
In Argentina, Santa Fe province...

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 08:56:49 AM »
i think you should look at Doctor Paper if you only need a couple sheets, both SIG and Brodak have silkspan available but the shipping for just the silkspan is expensive.

Best,    DennisT

Do you have a link for that place, Dennis?

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 11:07:02 AM »
I cant find "DOCTOR PAPER" on Google... ???

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 11:09:47 AM »
With Polyspan, the need for silkspan should be getting less and less.  AFAIK, genuine silkspan comes from the Orient, and involves the use of real silk fibers mixed in with paper fibre..  That is a labor-intensive process, and the old days of cheap labor and just about over, worldwide.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 11:21:34 AM »
I cant find "DOCTOR PAPER" on Google... ???

Claudio;
      Try "exam table paper" or something similar because that is what it is used for. I would expect that doctor's offices use something similar in South America also. The company TIFI makes the paper that I have. Searching them out and asking of they have any distributors in Argentina might be worth the time to send an email. TIDI makes all sorts of these products but only two are of the type of paper we want. I can't remember the term they used but it was discussed a lot here on Stunthanger an a search should turn up those threads  and even include the factory part numbers..  Also, if there are any tea bag manufacturers in Argentina, that was also a user of silk span type paper. It was discontinued in the US but I remember some one from this group in South Africa saying that they got it from a local company that bags tea. I would send you a roll of each that TIDI makes but the cost would be sky high. Good luck, keep at it and you will be successful.!!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Try this thread for some information on part numbers and such;

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/butt-tissue-paper-question/msg498077/#msg498077
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 11:47:07 AM »
With Polyspan, the need for silkspan should be getting less and less.  AFAIK, genuine silkspan comes from the Orient, and involves the use of real silk fibers mixed in with paper fibre..  That is a labor-intensive process, and the old days of cheap labor and just about over, worldwide.

I agree Floyd...
In fact, I use Polyspan all the time...but I ran out of Silkspan for fuses and sheeted areas, you know.

Thanks for your input...

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 12:16:10 PM »
    Claudio;
      Try "exam table paper" or something similar because that is what it is used for. I would expect that doctor's offices use something similar in South America also. The company TIFI makes the paper that I have. Searching them out and asking of they have any distributors in Argentina might be worth the time to send an email. TIDI makes all sorts of these products but only two are of the type of paper we want. I can't remember the term they used but it was discussed a lot here on Stunthanger an a search should turn up those threads  and even include the factory part numbers..  Also, if there are any tea bag manufacturers in Argentina, that was also a user of silk span type paper. It was discontinued in the US but I remember some one from this group in South Africa saying that they got it from a local company that bags tea. I would send you a roll of each that TIDI makes but the cost would be sky high. Good luck, keep at it and you will be successful.!!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Try this thread for some information on part numbers and such;

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/butt-tissue-paper-question/msg498077/#msg498077

Hello Dan,
Thanks a lot for taking the time to help with my search, you've been very kind!

IŽll see what I can find down here...

Thanks again, Dan!

Claudio.

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 12:48:00 PM »
Hello Dan,
Thanks a lot for taking the time to help with my search, you've been very kind!

IŽll see what I can find down here...

Thanks again, Dan!

Claudio.

I for got to mention that he words I was searching for were "choice" and "crepe", The McKesson paper Motorman has the same number and similar box as what I have that was from Tidi, and it was the lighter of the two products, so who know who is making it and repackaging it. I found the boxes I have just by surfing eBay and ran across those cheap. You may be able to do the same.
  Good luck again,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 12:54:30 PM »
Just an aside, really -- we got a bed from Ikea recently, with all the pieces wrapped in what looks like ten yards of the best tissue ever.  I haven't tried it yet, but I've got a smaller roll of similar stuff that -- I think -- came wrapped around stuff from DigiKey.  I have tried that stuff, and aside from the fact that it's got printing on it, it's great.

Somewhere out there, someone has decided that the best shipping paper should have qualities a lot like Esaki tissue.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2022, 02:26:21 PM »
Just an aside, really -- we got a bed from Ikea recently, with all the pieces wrapped in what looks like ten yards of the best tissue ever.  I haven't tried it yet, but I've got a smaller roll of similar stuff that -- I think -- came wrapped around stuff from DigiKey.  I have tried that stuff, and aside from the fact that it's got printing on it, it's great.

Somewhere out there, someone has decided that the best shipping paper should have qualities a lot like Esaki tissue.

OS engines used to come packed with some really nice tissue, that looked and felt like Esaki tissue. I saved all I could to try some day. It could all be some kind of rejected material for some reason also, but still usable for models. That's why it's used for packing, and because it's light weight.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2022, 03:38:31 PM »
Crepe is the texture. Everyday is supposed to be lighter. Choice is supposed to be heavier.

Tidi everyday crepe is #98-1004 for 22"x125'. It is what I bought after Dan Mc sent me a few feet several years back. I did trade square for square with a guy on RCG. He reported his was the "choice," and side by side comparisons makes me believe the choice is indeed heavier.

Unfortunately trying to buy a single roll is about impossible now...it wasn't back then when I paid $12 for my one roll. Every now and then I spot a damaged/seconds box on eBay for $35 or so. I just don't need another 12 rolls of the stuff right now. Maybe when I fully retire in six years!

Given what is posted above, I wonder if the manufacturer just stuffs whatever in a box.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 03:59:06 PM »
This product is as close as I could find regarding similarity to the silkspan of the past.  I use it on bare wood.  It works fine, I have had no problems with it.

Click "supplies" on the left side and it should take you to the page where you can find silkspan.

https://easybuiltmodels.com/#gsc.tab=0

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2022, 04:21:20 PM »
Good afternoon,

I've used Doctor's paper on several planes. I've had an issue with one of my planes where the covering loosened in the open bays of the wing when the weather was foggy and damp. You might be interested in reading the post by Brett Buck on Silkspan vs. Doctors Paper. Very interesting. https://stunthanger.com/smf/paint-and-finishing/doctor's-paper-vs-silkspan/msg606690/#msg606690

Dennis

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2022, 09:00:51 AM »
Dennis, Jim, 944_Jim...

Thanks for your input, guys!

H^^

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2022, 09:42:36 AM »
Good afternoon,

I've used Doctor's paper on several planes. I've had an issue with one of my planes where the covering loosened in the open bays of the wing when the weather was foggy and damp. You might be interested in reading the post by Brett Buck on Silkspan vs. Doctors Paper. Very interesting. https://stunthanger.com/smf/paint-and-finishing/doctor's-paper-vs-silkspan/msg606690/#msg606690

Dennis

I have had even "real" silk span from get loose in damp/wet conditions, and it always tightened up when it got dry. Depends on how much dope you have on it and how tight that you got it in the first place. If the grain isn't span wise it will wrinkle easy also. The exam table paper I got, "passes" the tear test for me , and that is start tearing the paper slowly from one edge and the tear will naturally tend to curve in the direction of the grain. If you tear it the other way 90 degrees to the first one it will follow the grain. Even newspaper will do this if you have ever tried to neatly tear out a coupon from the newspaper! It handles wet well also, doesn't try to fall apart while handling it from the edges. All exam table paper isn't the same. As far as I know, all paper products that come on a roll are made by a process where the pulp is poured out onto a conveyor like device that they call a calendar that runs along until the paper is fried and then stored on a roil for further processing. It's this action that gives it the grain  and it will run with the length of the paper on the roll. The photos that Brett posted are interesting, but I don't have the electron microscope or what ever it takes to take such a photo so I can't test mine that way or compare it to actual K&S samples. I don't know how you can make any kind of paper product with out it having a grain. Even paper for printing that is shipped in sheeted form is usually marked as to which way the grain is oriented so any folding processes can be planned for it. I would be interested in knowing how such paper is made id it doesn't have a grain direction to it.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2022, 12:12:00 PM »
I agree Floyd...
In fact, I use Polyspan all the time...but I ran out of Silkspan for fuses and sheeted areas, you know.

Thanks for your input...

Balsa fuselages, and such, can be covered in silkspan.  It is much easier to use carbon veil tissue.  Sticks down better, and overlapping pieces do not show seams.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here