News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:03:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mecoa taking pre-orders for Fox 35  (Read 4988 times)

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
Mecoa taking pre-orders for Fox 35
« on: January 13, 2021, 01:28:29 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted yet but Mecoa is taking pre-orders for the Fox 35 but check out the price,  ~^
https://www.mecoa.biz/shopexd.asp?id=5488
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
Re: Mecoa taking pre-orders for Fox 35
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 02:36:48 PM »
At that price I'd hope it came with an ABC piston and liner

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 03:23:09 PM »
     OMG!

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 03:26:29 PM »
Buy a $20 bomb on the web ,install a Gardner piston /liner/rod and it'll run way, way better.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 03:51:54 PM »
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for MECOA to ever come up with a Fox 35. I'm waiting over 30 years for a motor that obviously he failed to do,He said the prototype was built and would be available in under a year. If bullshit was electricity then he would be a powerhouse.

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 04:07:14 PM »
Buy a $20 bomb on the web ,install a Gardner piston /liner/rod and it'll run way, way better.

Is Brian still making them? I'd be interested
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 05:47:02 PM »
Not sure, but he's usually posting here. He made two sets for me; one timed for speed and one for stunt.

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 07:25:03 PM »
 LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Man, that's a good one!

Jerry

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 09:07:26 PM »

Overpriced by about 180 bucks.  D>K
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 09:10:45 PM »
Maybe after the Atwood Shriek comes out?

I think he actually stays in business making chocolate party fountains. I once did some CAD work for him drawing up an ice cream scoop. Incidentally, Duke Fox’s major income was from subcontracting military small parts. Engines and hobby stuff was a sideline because he loved it.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 11:45:18 PM »
Maybe after the Atwood Shriek comes out?

I think he actually stays in business making chocolate party fountains. I once did some CAD work for him drawing up an ice cream scoop. Incidentally, Duke Fox’s major income was from subcontracting military small parts. Engines and hobby stuff was a sideline because he loved it.

Right - it's just about impossible to make any real money on stuff like this.

Brett

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 10:14:18 AM »
I remember watching  U-Tube video of a tour through the Fox factory.  I got the impression of a big manufacturing operation.  It appeared to be a major operation, not something Duke did as a sideline.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 11:10:46 AM »
I remember watching  U-Tube video of a tour through the Fox factory.  I got the impression of a big manufacturing operation.  It appeared to be a major operation, not something Duke did as a sideline.
Duke took my dad and I through a tour of the factory one Sunday when it was closed.  The building is huge- Duke designed and built the massive wooden arched beams that formed the roof-but indeed a very large part of the plant contained a large number of big chuckers that ran almost around the clock making small metal parts for government projects.  I’d guess it still does.  There was a separate shed for fuel and another for engine test running.  The model engine operation didn’t seem like more than a third of the plant.  A crew of ladies sat with buckets of parts slapping together whatever fit to make engines.  Duke’s office was about the size of a small bathroom- but full of prototype engine projects.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 11:46:41 AM »
The model engine operation didn’t seem like more than a third of the plant.  A crew of ladies sat with buckets of parts slapping together whatever fit to make engines.  Duke’s office was about the size of a small bathroom- but full of prototype engine projects.

I think that is and has been the case with all of these model supply operations - people say "factory" and think of the River Rouge plant cranking out Model As, it much more like a job shop with some production tooling to speed things up. The volume just doesn't justify anything more than that. There's nothing wrong about it, it is sized to the market, but it does mean that to make any real money you have to do something else and the model parts as a sideline. OS is probably not any difference at this point, we know Enya does the same.

I would hesitate to poke any holes at RJL (Randy, but not our Randy...) or their pricing scheme, if you tried adding up the number of hours that goes into it, they are probably working for 10% of the minimum wage. And the volume has to be extremely low, like, maybe 100 units.

If there was money to be made on model airplanes, someone would be doing it. There is - RC ARFs and drones - but stunt and CL, we are talking well under 1000 people in a country of 330,000,000 who make CL flights on a regular basis. 95% of those will argue whether the 75th Anniversary version is better, worse, or the same as every model back to the 1948 sandcast 2-bolt backplate version for the next 20 years.

Brett

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 11:59:55 AM »
If you are looking for a “working” engine Brodak has .40s in stock . AAC and the ability to use modern fuel .

The Fox won’t run any better than the last 30 years models . It might be OK for a collection but Motorman’s idea is a lot more cost effective for a running option.

Brad LaPointe

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 12:10:19 PM »
There is a lifetime supply of these engines on EBay.  I have two special ones,  one of Bob Gieske’s personal engines and. ‘63 Gold anniversary.  Other than that they seem to mostly be about the same whatever the vintage.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Jay

• Commander
  • 1 Cross +3 Nails= 4 Given
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 12:52:52 PM »
Face it guys. These engines that Mecoa are selling are for the collectors. Much like the Black and Gold Fox 50th anniversary engine.
I myself could never afford one but think about it.
 I have a New in the box
40th 50th and 60th Fox 35. How cool would it be to have the 70th?
BTW I am not a collector and have plans for using these engines before I kick the bucket
Jay
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 04:16:07 PM »
MECOA has a good reputation for quality work and good "fits".  They have been producing engines as exact replicas, without the usual re-design common to reproduction engines.  If they hold true to their practice of exact copy, then they will have to use original '50s metallurgy and imprecise machining in order to produce a range of engines good for running or only for shelf display.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 06:12:48 PM »
MECOA says this will be the 60th Anniversary model, but my math says 70th will be along shortly. If the first anniversary model was released in '63 (IDK), then 2023 will be the 70th, right? Floyd, would you check my math?  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 06:17:54 PM »
MECOA says this will be the 60th Anniversary model, but my math says 70th will be along shortly. If the first anniversary model was released in '63 (IDK), then 2023 will be the 70th, right? Floyd, would you check my math?  LL~ Steve

Steve,
Not that I was there back then like Floyd but the first one was 1948 so the 75th (which they had advertised before) would be out in 2023.  My guess is that they have some 60th cases left over from when they bought Fox out and are offering these until they are gone and probably raising money to modify the mold for the 75th.  Time will tell.
John
John Paris

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 06:34:06 PM »
Yeah, I thought the first ones were in the late 40's, but don't care that much. There may be some hope that they'll make some decent crankshafts, at least. It'd be nice if they weren't made of cheeze-whiz, anyway.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2021, 09:07:05 PM »
Have you bought many Fox 35's used on ebay? The unwashed run them a few times, have bad luck or just lose interest and sit them aside.
The unwashed.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 06:17:13 PM by kevin king »

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2021, 11:18:36 PM »
Yes, making another production run of them later this year. We have a bunch of catching up to do after covid induced delays - but the answer is yes.
PM me to get your names on the waiting list to ensure I make enough.

Brian

Is Brian still making them? I'd be interested

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2021, 09:19:10 AM »
  Whats wrong with using a Fox 35 stunt, except that it has to much power for a 45oz Nobler?
Al

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2021, 09:53:44 AM »
  Whats wrong with using a Fox 35 stunt, except that it has to much power for a 45oz Nobler?

I have flown 2000+ full stunt patterns with 45 ounce or so Noblers, it absolutely *is not* too much power, it was at best acceptable by the standards of the 60s in perfect conditions with no muffler. In 2021, hopeless aside from OTS.

But otherwise, I agree with you - at least someone is doing something for CL. Maybe it is not going to be the greatest stunt engine in the world of 2021, but at least it is producing something that we can use for certain purposes.  The Fox will not even be the best stunt engine made by RJL - the Veco 19bb is better, and the K&B Sportster 45 would be better if it was available and supplied with workable parts.   But it's much better than doing nothing.

Brett

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2021, 01:10:52 PM »
      I have flown 2000+ full stunt patterns with 45 ounce or so Noblers, it absolutely *is not* too much power, it was at best acceptable by the standards of the 60s in perfect conditions with no muffler. In 2021, hopeless aside from OTS.

But otherwise, I agree with you - at least someone is doing something for CL. Maybe it is not going to be the greatest stunt engine in the world of 2021, but at least it is producing something that we can use for certain purposes.  The Fox will not even be the best stunt engine made by RJL - the Veco 19bb is better, and the K&B Sportster 45 would be better if it was available and supplied with workable parts.   But it's much better than doing nothing.

Brett

When I lived in Warner Robins, GA, Bob Dixon was a member of our club and I saw him win many a contest of with a Nobler running a FOX 35.  It absolutely was not under powered.

Mike

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2021, 01:14:48 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted yet but Mecoa is taking pre-orders for the Fox 35 but check out the price,  ~^

Man, they sure are proud of those puppies.

Mike

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2021, 05:25:16 PM »
                     A black and gold 1988 edition just sold on Ebay for $527.33. That makes the Mecoa version a real bargain.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2021, 07:10:20 AM »
Al

Al, next time you see L.S., ask him about the 35 Stunts he reworked in the 60s for fellow Jerseyans Dawn Cosmillo(65 Junior NATS Champ) , Barry Symonds( 64 Senior NATS champ) and Don Shulman( Leon's son, Jason's dad). Dawn's daddy owned a body and fender shop in Wharton and loved to lay on the paint. Dawn's Nobler weighed in at over 50 ounces, as Hunt will attest, and it pulled it around like a ragdoll. Jim Cosmillo Jr. had a heavyweight as well.
 All L.S. will likely say is hehe.

The list goes on and on : John D'Ottavio, Buddy Weider, George Jones (last two Air Youth State Champs)...

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2021, 08:07:41 AM »
So, I could buy one of those, send it to one of our engine guys for rebuild/modification (for maybe another $100) and then I'd have an engine equivalent to 3/4ths of one of my LA-46s?  Alright!  Sign me up!!    VD~   Ahhh, wait....

I must admit, though, I have to admire his effort if he actually follows through.  One thing that Brett is apparently not taking into account is that for every serious stunt flyer, there are about 20 guys buying model airplane stuff that never gets used or is used very little.  Anyone on StuntHanger that is in a model airplane club is probably aware of the many long-time members of their club who never or very rarely show up at the field and actually fly something.  Most clubs maybe have a quarter of their membership who get out and fly weekly, maybe another quarter that fly monthly or bi-monthly, and then the rest who may or may not even show up an a yearly basis.  Frankly, since they pay their dues I appreciate them as they make a positive contribution.  But I am also frustrated by them as I'm a "more the merrier" type guy and enjoy the camaraderie.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2021, 07:48:34 AM »

The 1963 Fox 35 was the 15th anniversary of the Fox 35. Duke had them gold plated,(not real gold though) Apparently Duke had done some work for a company and in return they did the embellishment on all of the Fox 35's that year. I bought one and had it for years but alas the gold faded and was gone in about 2 years of use.The fuel and heat was toxic to the finish.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2021, 03:50:53 PM »
I have read several reports outlining the history of Fox engines, and specifically, the stunt 35.  Needless to say, the "35" has been around for a very long time.

Before I knew any better, I and a few of my buddies at Keesler AFB, bought our Fox 35 engines from the base PX at $12 each,  That was in the summer/fall of 1952.  We had flying sessions down on the beach because the damp sand was wide enough..over half a circle.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2021, 06:02:22 PM »
I dont think these will ever be produced.

Mike

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2021, 06:33:05 PM »
RJL bought out the Cameron motors and it struck a sentimental cord. I never saw anyone ever use a Cameron in anything that they valued. I had the 15 and I had the ignition copy of the O&R 23 NIB That one was beautifully done the others were a little rougher.
So he has another shelf queen that will languish forever and go to a yard sale upon liquidation of the company ...eventually.
 I have that Cameron 15 to this day. Says a lot about sentimentality with your toys of your youth

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2021, 06:58:12 PM »

Mike

Mike.
  Just like all the other stuff that was bought in the past to be sold. Some sparce parts here and there. Extremely very few engines to speak of etc.. Some have been waiting for many,many moons for product... Have now reached S.S. age.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2021, 08:56:02 PM »

Mike.
  Just like all the other stuff that was bought in the past to be sold. Some sparce parts here and there. Extremely very few engines to speak of etc.. Some have been waiting for many,many moons for product... Have now reached S.S. age.

You are right Tony, a very poor track record.  I would never pay ahead considering the source.

Mike

Offline Peter Grabenstein

• 2020 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2021, 09:59:03 PM »

Mike

agree with you Mike, they will be never produced if preorder numbers are to low.
Makes no sense for a company to start a product which does not covers their labour cost and
making extra money for future projects.
There are other cheaper products on the market which can do the same at much higher quality and less money.
Antique Pilots still can find the same NIB product at the bay for less .
One new Edition afterall makes no sense to me.
In this case , "Antique Market" is just to small in numbers to make real profit.
My "free speech" two cents.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 08:04:10 AM by Peter Grabenstein »
I hate pessimists, I prefer optimists.
Impossible is done immediately, miracles take longer.
I don't care who your father is ......... as long as I fly here,
Nobody walks, runs, floats or flies across my circle ......... not even to fetch fish, wine or bread.

Offline Doug Burright

• Commander
  • Legacy, Brodak kit
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2021, 10:59:21 AM »
I bought a Combat Streak at a model auction several years ago, and it had an old Fox 35 on it. The plane was worn out, and became too dangerous to fly, after the first outing with us. I removed the engine, and was about to scrub and polish all of the "nicotine" stains from it, when a friend told me it was gold plating , and a 1963 version of the Fox 35! So, I'm glad he stopped me from ruining the finish on the engine, and it still runs very well! He was certain to tell me that it wasn't real gold on the engine.
I have a couple of Silver Foxx engines, too, as Lew was a local celebrity. I was happy and fortunate to have known Lew!
I will build it. It's gonna be really difficult to find me with an ARF. I know every bit of my airplane!

Offline Peter Grabenstein

• 2020 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2021, 02:24:52 AM »
Did you "mess up" the not Gold plating from scrubbing and polish ....Sir ? , pics ?.

Thanks
 H^^ Peter
I hate pessimists, I prefer optimists.
Impossible is done immediately, miracles take longer.
I don't care who your father is ......... as long as I fly here,
Nobody walks, runs, floats or flies across my circle ......... not even to fetch fish, wine or bread.

Offline Onelife

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2023, 04:48:01 PM »

Curious what is a fair value on the fox 35  60   Th anniversary edition thanks

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2023, 05:43:06 PM »
Curious what is a fair value on the fox 35  60   Th anniversary edition thanks

According to MECOA, it’s $185.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 08:47:01 PM by Clint Ormosen »
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2023, 05:58:19 PM »
I have a 60th Anniv setup by  Lew Woolard -one of  the last ones before he quit doing engines. it is NIB . I forgot what I paid, but it was a lot less than MECOA. pricing. Does anyone know details of  how Lew setup his engines? Likely hemi head and stuffer, but what other touches?
If I were Randy at MECOA, I would try to get setup to produce a MECOA version of the B-40. I have heard rumor that there wont be anymore B-40 coming from Ukraine.
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2023, 08:49:29 PM »
If I were Randy at MECOA, I would try to get setup to produce a MECOA version of the B-40. I have heard rumor that there wont be anymore B-40 coming from Ukraine.

Interesting. How do we confirm this?
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here