News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:42:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glow plug maintenance  (Read 586 times)

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
Glow plug maintenance
« on: May 16, 2023, 09:04:18 AM »

The suggestion was made on here about cleaning glow plugs in an ultrasonic cleaner. I went back one step and boiled some in a crock pot filled with LA's Totally Awesome cleaner and then ultrasoniced them. These were some really old plugs harvested from even older Fox 35s. Lots of crud came out of the barrel and off the elements. They lit up really nice after cleaning and then tried one on a test stand run; it worked OK.

I've read about the deterioration of the element on here, but is that a surface contamination that can be cleaned off? Is it a breakdown of the metallurgy thats irreversible? One of the plugs below has an oxide layer after cleaning, should the elements always be shiny? I have a 5x-10x scope that shows nothing on the elements after cleaning.

I guess the only objective test for cleaning would be to take a plug off a balky engine, clean it up and fly it again.

Ara

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
Re: Glow plug maintenance
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 11:26:45 AM »
Ara - I don't know. I'm gonna try oven cleaner, mainly because I don't have an ultrasound cleaner.

Offline Doug Moisuk

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 11:42:29 AM »
So you take old plugs you thought were a problem in the past and want to clean them and use them in a new plane and engine? Thus risking crashing a new airplane when the plug fails?  I know new plugs are expensive but compared to a recked engine or plane still cheap.
Doug Moisuk
MAAC 3360L

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 07:17:58 PM »
Think when theyre ' frosty ' the plutonium or whatevers run out . Wont ' get a setting ' or hold a run . Can Cut .

ANYWAY , if a olde plug gets a shirty run , and you inspect the element & its ' frosty ' , the things past it , for a Stunt Run .

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 09:00:12 PM »
Sorry but when a plug starts go south on me, it goes in the trash. Im not risking tons of time and money on a $10 glow plug.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here