News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:54:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Meat Trip  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Meat Trip
« on: September 26, 2018, 01:58:56 AM »
The Meet & Meat is always fun, so we decided last Wednesday to head on down, I-5 not currently being on fire.  Our first meat-related event was a visit to Five Guys in Salem, Oregon, the all-you-can-eat Indian place to which the GPS led us not having existed.  I'd read about Five Guys being good, but hadn't tried them.  Their thing seems to be quantity.  I ordered a cheeseburger, but the guy behind the counter suggested I order a Little Cheeseburger, which was plenty big. He also suggested that Marilou and I split a regular-size order of fries.  Although we usually do that, the competition for each party's share is intense.  Not so at Five Guys.  Regular size is a huge bucket.  The burger bun was so soggy I assumed it to be gluten-free.  The fries were similarly soggy, and we merely made a dent in the bucket.  I discarded the remaining fries at a rest area, rather than give them to the resident beggar, for whom I had too much respect to give him such substandard fries. 

Oregon must not have full employment, because their freeway rest areas all have had beggars for the last two years.  This year the theme is "out of gas".  Each beggar has a gas can.  I don't know how he or she would use the can.  A gasoline donor would have to have his or her gasoline already in a can, in which case it could be transferred to the beggar's vehicle without the involvement of the beggar's can.   Were one to give the beggar money for gas, the beggar could get the gas dispensed into his or her vehicle at a gas station without the intermediate can. 

Our next meat event was in Redding, where we thought we found the Lost Mexican Restaurant.  Years ago on the way home from the Golden State contest we ate at a wonderful Mexican place.  We forgot where it is, and have been looking for it ever since in Redding, Anderson, and Red Bluff.  Marilou was pretty sure we had found it Friday while we were lost in Redding.  It looked like she remembered it looked, but the food was not wonderful.

We got to the Davis field Saturday morning and spent most of the day visiting and eating other people's food (including meat: a hot dog in my case).  I watched Ted Fancher and Brett Buck help Scott Dinger trim his airplane. I added a suggestion that cost Scott a prop, but I mainly just observed the masters at work.   Ted raised an eyebrow at my handle spacing, so I increased it.  Weather was pleasant and flyable all day.  It got a bit windy, but it wasn't turbulent-- a pleasant change from my home circle on breezy days.  Lanny Shorts was amused at the sound my airplane makes in outsides.  There must be a lot of flow separation, because it sounds like a flag in a hurricane.   

Jim Aron, whose airplanes have gotten 20 appearance points at the Nats and VSC, was dazzled by Kestas Dvarvydis's airplane.  It is indeed perfect, except for some not-as-good-as-they-could-be vortex generators.   

We adjourned to dinner at a burger place in Woodland to eat meat and tell stunt stories.  The burgers were good, although one poisoned our CD.

We arose uncharacteristically early Sunday and went to the field to fly stunt, eat meat, and merely watch people hurl Foxes, my personal shoulder being unhurlworthy.  Brett and David flew first in the first round in dead air.  I had excellent air and flew some pretty good stunt.  I was ahead of Brett and within a point of the Big Bad Wolf.  We broke for meat, and I ate a plethora of Larry Fernandez's excellent chili, which is so good that each year the vat empties before Larry gets any.  I had nice weather the second round, but didn't think that I flew as well as I did in the first round.  The judges agreed.  Perhaps I was distracted by Lanny and Ted laughing on the downwind side of the circle.  Lanny took Ted there to hear my flow separation. 

Except for a little grass stain on his vertical stabilizer on his first outside loop, Brett flew some nearly perfect stunt the second round. I beheld that his inverted flight was exactly at judge eye level on every lap.  It was disgustingly evident that he had put me in my place. I did come out on top of those Junior Varsity fliers who flew. 

Nobody flew Beginner, so Jimby gave the Beginner first-place trophy to Brian Moore, as Beginner Deputy CD.  Doug Barton, the hardest working man in stunt, won Intermediate.  Dennis Nunes, who flew Intermediate last year, won Advanced by a large margin and also dominated the Hurl.  Bob Duncan won Old Time and was inducted into Lanny Shorts's brotherhood of guys over 80 who can still do an overhead eight.  I wish I could do an overhead eight at 72.  Ted Fancher (remember him?) won Classic with his Ruffy.

We left in a cloud of dust.  We overnighted at Red Bluff and looked around a little for the Lost Mexican Restaurant.  We didn't find it, but I decided that, being in California, we should go to a Mexican restaurant.  We did, at which Marilou, who doesn't know Spanish, argued with the waitress about the definition of birria.  After this meal we realized that, although California does have a lot of Mexican restaurants, picking one at random gives you a probability of .5 of picking one that's below average.  Back at the hotel, Marilou, who doesn't know Japanese, told me that my observation of takusan kaze was grammatically incorrect. 

Going south we passed the area where the fires were after dark, so all we noticed was a whiff of smoke.  Northbound was during the day.  Wow, a vast landscape of trees had burned, and it was obvious that houses among them had been saved.  Lots of machinery had moved in and was dealing with the charred logs.  The freeway overpasses in Redding were covered with homemade signs thanking the firefighters and the CHP.  The most impressive thing to me was seeing the sincerity of the signs, an anomaly in these times. 

John Holliday and Randy Cuberly will remember the wonderful English muffins at Wolferman's bakeries in Kansas City.  Wolferman's was bought by Harry and David, a fruit stand turned tourist trap in Medford, Oregon.  We stopped there Monday and bought 98 English muffins and one avocado. 

At an Oregon rest area Monday afternoon, everybody was parking at one end of the lot to avoid the beggar who had set up camp at the other end.  The beggar took his gas can and moved to the end where the action was.  I observed when passing him that among his equipment on the ground was a cigarette lighter.  I advised him not to use it near the gas can.  I regret that I did not hear his response over the traffic noise. 

We stopped at a good Thai place in Portland for dinner with Tim Wescott.  We eschewed tofu for more meat. 

The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Meat Trip
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 05:31:45 AM »
Outstanding, informative, and - as always - entertaining report Howard! Please take two foam bricks out of petty cash as your reward (inside joke between us...).

I do have to take exception to one facet of your trip report, however, and that is your review of Five Guys' French Fries. I won't argue the quality of their burgers. Suffice to say, they are not in the league of In and Out Burger. The fries are a different matter. You must have gone to the one sub standard Five Guys in the universe when it comes to the fries. The one we have near us turns out the most amazing potato treats on earth. Yes, the quantity is in the enormous category, but the quality of those delicious fresh-cut-and-fried-in-peanut-oil morsels is beyond reproach.

Now, before you retort that my Five Guys is the one exception to the rule, I need to tell you that this is the norm for those establishments on the East Coast at least. To those who are reading this, please do not let Howard's one-time experience dissuade you from trying the fries at Five-Guys. In fact, let's do a test. Go to your local Five Guys (they are everywhere) and get an order of fries. Try the fries and then please report back here. And, as a disclaimer, no I do not own any stock in Five Guys... My only lament is that on my current diet, potatoes are verboten... But, hey, I've lost nearly ten pounds!

Bob "fry lover" Hunt

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 06:53:50 AM »
Good report Howard.  My favorite part was "Ted Fancher (remember him?)"  I laughed out loud!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Online Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 08:49:16 AM »
I added a suggestion that cost Scott a prop And the burgers were good except for poisoning the CD. Those are the best quotes.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 10:13:54 AM »
Great report as usual Howard.  Myself I don't remember Wolfermans.   We have a 5 Guys here in Overland Park, but I have not stopped there as Steak & Shake is my favorite place even I'm limited on how many times I can eat there now.   Nothing like having a diet to stick too. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 06:29:02 PM »
We have a 5 Guys here in Overland Park, but I have not stopped there as Steak & Shake is my favorite place even I'm limited on how many times I can eat there now.   Nothing like having a diet to stick too. D>K

No 5 Guys anywhere around here, but last time I made the trip to St. Louis I discovered a Steak-n-Shake directly across the highway from the Buder Park flying site. I stopped in for dinner one evening and noticed a definite "funk" in the air upon entering the place. This was a very similar "funk" to most truck stops I seem to pass through, but it did have it's own character. My chosen side order for this dining experience was their onion rings. It was while chomping on about the second one that I began to put together where the "funk" might be coming from. Being overly hungry at the time, and possibly suffering mildly dulled senses after a long day in the sun, it took me scarfing down about 3/4 of the O-ring order for complete confirmation. I believe I did. I won't be stopping back, to that one.

Thank you for another very entertaining report Howard, and yeah, I think I do remember Ted Fancher.  :)

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 06:57:51 PM »
... You must have gone to the one sub standard Five Guys in the universe when it comes to the fries...

That's more emphatic than what I said to Howard over Thai food, but YES!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 07:12:19 PM »
I am shocked to read Howard referring to the unfortunates at the Oregon rest stops as beggars. The proper term to use is "urban outdoorsmen".  R%%%%  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 07:58:11 AM »
Howard, I think you wound up at a Junior Varsity Five Guys. I can also confirm that the fries are normally outstanding.

However, in the interest of full disclosure, I’m 97% certain that Bob and I frequent the same Five Guys. So the sample size of our data may be both biased and limited. Which matters little, as our fries are still damn tasty.

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 09:36:26 AM »
I always look forward to reading your reports, Howard.  They are most entertaining!

Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 09:53:36 AM »
Our little town (Eugene) does, indeed, have a good supply of burger joints;  probably more than many towns.  That goes a long way to explain why our inhabitants are way above average in BMI (or just plain "fat").
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 02:46:35 PM »
My First ever Five Guys burger n fries was in WDC area....around 2003----agree with Bob H ---the fries are/were a culinary delight and the burger was similarly delicious and juicy...great meal...Later down on test at Ft Jackson SC, found a Five Guys and fatted up several times a week during the 3 month test....

Here  in Fort Hood area----closest is Harker Heights...fries are exactly as Howard defines...soggy limp, tasteless, and coolish...not worth the time to pitch in the trash and not at all suitable for the homeless...Klingnon GaaaHK

Howard said  "After this meal we realized that, although California does have a lot of Mexican restaurants, picking one at random gives you a probability of .5 of picking one that's below average.  Back at the hotel, Marilou, who doesn't know Japanese, told me that my observation of takusan kaze was grammatically incorrect."

This passage made me laugh a long deep belly laugh...can relate

I love my 25 years of Texas micro ranch living...BUT finding good tasty Mexican food is a serious challenge...I miss Colorado Springs Colorado... in a 40 mile range were 10 GREAT Mexi food places....and none of them pussies about a good HOT red or green sauce....and always willing to fill up the hot flour tortilla plate
Tex mex in this area is a bland concoction of crap that truly disappoints
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 03:13:20 PM »
Here  in Fort Hood area----closest is Harker Heights...fries are exactly as Howard defines...soggy limp, tasteless, and coolish...not worth the time to pitch in the trash and not at all suitable for the homeless...Klingnon GaaaHK

GaaaHK isn't GaaaHK unless the worms are healthy and feisty.  Soggy and limp is right out.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 08:14:20 AM »
Howard, next trip through Redding try Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant.  Go west on Cypress after exiting from I-5.  It will be on the left side going west.  Google it.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Uncle Jimby

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 05:07:02 PM »
Good report Howard.  My favorite part was "Ted Fancher (remember him?)"  I laughed out loud!

I forgot him until he kicked my ass on his last flight in classic.  Helpful hint:  Don't @#$% off Ted in the first round.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 07:17:57 PM »
The 5 Guys in Salem on Lancaster Blvd. is good. I can't say I remember the fries as being limp and soggy, but that's probably a good thing. The burgers were good. I don't care for the peanut shells on the floor.  n1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 08:35:08 PM »
The 5 Guys in Salem on Lancaster Blvd. is good. I can't say I remember the fries as being limp and soggy, but that's probably a good thing. The burgers were good. I don't care for the peanut shells on the floor.  n1 Steve

That's the one we tried.

Howard, next trip through Redding try Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant.  Go west on Cypress after exiting from I-5.  It will be on the left side going west.  Google it.

So's that one.  We'll try it again on the way back from Madera.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 11:13:46 PM »
Scarborough is a 5-Guys enthusiast, and he liked the one in Salem. I've only been there twice, a year apart, and was hungry, which tends to reduce the criticizm. But I was put off by the peanut shells on the floor. I liked Shake & Steak in Cookesville, TN better, and the service was top notch, like Chick-fil-eh?  ;)

The good Mexican restaurant in Salem is at the So. end of Lancaster, quite close to Hwy.22, same area as WinCo, Shari's and Sportsman's Warehouse. Chris and Joan know their Mexican food, and they go there.

I know Mexican also. If I have a question, I ask my Mexican gardener or housekeeper....but sometimes she doesn't know chit. She says "Jack in the Box" has good authentic tacos, especially if you slather them with the hot sauce. Far better tacos than most Mexican restaurants, IMO. Too bad they don't Cerveza, tho the gardener doesn't agree on that.  LL~ Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here