Blank
« on: June 22, 2020, 08:56:18 AM »
Blank

« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 08:26:23 PM by Air Master »

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: Off Topic: Is USPS Quality of Service Declining?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 10:04:07 AM »
Living in Central California I've had two orders now that were shipped using "UPS Mail Innovations". When this is done all packages go to the USPS West Sacramento hub and delivered by the post office to my mailbox. I had one order sit there for two weeks before it was finally delivered just 50 miles away. Please don't get me started on orders coming from Hong Kong and shipped using Singapore Post. I placed an order on 4/2 and I'm still waiting for it.

Dennis

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 10:34:21 AM »

The Only DAYS you can't depend on the USPS are days that end in Y !!!!!! y1 y1 y1
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 10:42:36 AM »
I ship via USPS all the time.  VERY dependable I find  Over the years I've shipped well over 1,000 parcels, 99.9% on time.  Yes..A bit of slippage as of late BUT my still the "go to" shipper.  Even a package I rec'd from New Zealand 2 weeks ago arrived quickly without delay.  WAY WAY WAY better than Fedex Home Delivery for on time performance.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 11:04:50 AM »
Funny...I think the USPS is terrific.
I've not had an issue and use them frequently.

Consider that they are currently underfunded and the virus has caused a HUGE increase in all to-door shipping companies.

Oh well.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 11:08:20 AM »
Did you pay the extra for tracking?  So far I have not had any trouble with the USPS other than several years ago and insurance payment was late.  I received the torn envelope a couple of weeks later.  Seems the sorting machine tore the address portion of the envelope and all was left was return address. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 01:02:13 PM »
Nope, no issues with the USPS, Now FEDEX however.........
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 01:16:37 PM »
There was another post about this a few weeks ago. At the time it seemed strange. I’ve used USPS trouble free for years.

And then it happened- not a disaster but really annoying. I ordered product from Seattle choosing best shipping rate which turned out to be  the post office. Based on previous experience I wasn’t worried. Shipper emailed tracking number with expected delivery date. All seemed good.

I like to check tracking often. I like seeing the stops and transitions along the way. This time I noticed that the tracking history was being edited. The initial pick up and hub scans showed up normally. A day or so later it changed to in transit with no further information. On the expected delivery date it changed to delayed. A day or so later to in transit again. Then arriving late. Finally got here beat up but usable.

In the past I was used to seeing each facility along the way listed with arrival and departure times listed - not really extra work because these are just time stamps from each time the shipping label is scanned. It appears that all this is now edited out. Like someone trying to hide something.  I think they want you to pay extra for detail tracking now?
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 02:20:32 PM »
I ship via USPS all the time.  VERY dependable I find  Over the years I've shipped well over 1,000 parcels, 99.9% on time.  Yes..A bit of slippage as of late BUT my still the "go to" shipper.  Even a package I rec'd from New Zealand 2 weeks ago arrived quickly without delay.  WAY WAY WAY better than Fedex Home Delivery for on time performance.

I'll echo and add AMEN! to the positives on USPS.  But - (1) I do believe service varies from region to region, and (2) don't think there is any question service in virtually every industry and area has suffered in the days of the pandemic.

And let me add: Many or most carriers are not full-time, permanent USPS employees.  Both my wife and I have done stints as "Rural Carrier Associates"; the turnover tends to be very high.

I've shipped all over the world for 20+ years, and - unless there are drastic changes - USPS will always be my shipping method of choice.

How about this option: We purchased an item online from Home Depot recently.  Advertised as very quick delivery.  An (obviously contracted) shipping service arrived days later and left FIVE (5) items at our front door.  Took a few days for Home Depot to even acknowledge the error; I then found myself corresponding by email with someone outside the U.S. who was providing "customer service" for Home Depot - and whose English was somewhat handicapped.

About a week later, the shipping service returned and picked up THREE of the FOUR items left in error.  More contact ensued - again with someone outside the U.S. - and finally, about 2 weeks after the initial delivery, the FOURTH item left in error was picked up.

All things are relative.  Did I mention feeling the USPS is doing a really outstanding job for the most part, especially in the current environment?

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 03:16:02 PM »
USPS has been great for me. UPS isn't bad either. Forget FedEx as far as I'm concerned. Maybe it's a regional thing.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 04:18:28 PM »
I've shipped several thousand packages over the last four years.  USPS has not lost a single one.  They do seem just a little rougher with the packages themselves lately.

Peter

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 05:10:57 PM »
I recently ordered a Echo Show 8 From Amazon.  It made it as far as the post office in a town in Florida and vanished.  Never did get here.  No customer service reps to take calls at Amazon.  Finally they refunded my money and I ordered on online from Best Buy, drove to the store after a couple of hours of ordering and they brought it to my car.  I think someone stole it honestly.  Two Thanksgivings ago we had the same thing happen with a turkey fryer that QVC shipped by FEDEX.  It also went into a black hole.
The FEDEX driver who delivered the replacement one told me someone probably stole it as it was out for delivery but never arrived.

When I was shipping kits, the ONLY way I would ship them was by Priority Mail.  99% of the time they did great.  Since the Corona debacle, we have had stuff shipped around world before we got it. 

Guess these are just crazy times.

Mike

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 05:27:01 PM »
  Boy! it could take me an hour to type what I think of the USPS service! I've lost track of the number of packages that I am positive were tampered with to see what was inside, including a Christmas card from my sister that was sliced open on the END of the envelope to see if there was a gift card in there or not. There was a lazer cut wooden ornament that was attached to the card and was broken when it was removed. Holes poked a perfect thumb's reach from a corner to pull back an edge to see what was inside. I ordered a set of plans from Don Hutchenson once that were shipped two day priority, from Texas to St. Louis, and took a month to get here by way of Northern Indiana!  The tracking number for it was absolutely useless. I think tracking can be a big joke as they can manipulate that. I bought some soldering iron tips from a seller on eBay in northern IL on June 5th and they STILL aren't here yet! They were shipped on the 11th ( why it took almost a week for the seller to ship them I have NO idea) got to the main distribution center about 6 miles from my house in about two days, and then the tracking changed about a week later.  I ordered a Half Fast kit from Walter Umland once, and when it got to me the whole length of one side was crushed flat with black tire marks the whole length of the crease. I took it back to the post office and asked the manager what gives??? he said, " That's the way we got it." I told him I know Walter Umland and he wouldn't run over one of his kits with a fork lift and then mail it to me!!  I'm sitting here at my computer at almost 6:30 in the evening and my mail JUST NOW got to my mail box, the dog is barking here head off! I don't want to hear about them being underfunded when the under perform so much. They are one of the most @#$% poor managed businesses I have ever seen. I won't even begin to describe what I saw where I used to work where we did a lot of direct mail printing and such. TERRIBLE!!!!
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 07:44:17 PM »
USPS Tracking numbers are totally useless.

Mike

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 08:57:04 PM »
"Totally" how?
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 09:01:19 PM »
I don't want to high jack the thread.

Australia Post, "Lost", my package, their admission, from Brodak. In Australia we have the postal Ombudsman for complaints. He weilds a very big stick here.

When I told Oz Post I was going to the Ombudsmen because they weren't helping me I was told Australia Post employees don't respond to threats and I should not disrespect the staff!

I responded by explaining it was not a threat or disrespect it was a matter of accuracy and transparency for the Ombusmen. I supplied the Ombudsmen complaint number with the message.

Guess what? All the information I had been requesting was supplied with an apology for the delay. Pathetic!

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2020, 04:56:03 AM »
"Totally" how?

At one time  checking the tracking number would tell you where the package is. It would say what facility it left and when. You could see the trail of where it had been and how long at each place. You occasionally still see that, but often it gets replaced by “in transit”; “your package is moving through our distribution system”; “delayed”; “late” or some other vague phrase instead of a record of where it is. Also, if you check often it seems like the information is being edited and minimized. So not as helpful as in the past.

I would much rather see the list of postal facilities with time stamps of arrival and departure.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2020, 10:05:38 AM »
It's not a consolation if YOUR package is lost or damaged, but I'm not aware of any shipping service that's Perfect.  In 20+ years I've shipped thousands of packages all over the world and am really impressed with the USPS record.  Think I've had about 4 packages lost and less than a half-dozen damaged.

I've done that from several locations in the US, ranging from New York to North Carolina to several Minnesota cities - and I guarantee the work ethic I've observed varies widely!

I would also add dealing with your local postmaster is a good place to start.  Several years ago a clerk at the post office branch I was shipping from advised me they would no longer process as "First Class Packages" many items I mailed.  I told her the national customer service folks advised they did indeed qualify; she went back to talk to the Postmaster, then returned affirming their policy.  I then asked for the name and phone number of the Regional Supervisor; she went back to the Postmaster again, then returned saying "No problem, they'll go out as First Class Packages".

In earlier experiences I had noted the LAST person most Postmasters want to deal with is THEIR supervisor.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2020, 11:59:35 AM »
We have a problem in that our building closes at 6:00 and our regular mail (which includes the smaller USPS items) comes about 6:30-7:00.  They know this and have said they are going to fix it for 5 years.  They don't leave tags since it is the office building that is closed and just record it as "No Access".  They will do that three days in a row before putting it at will call.

Right now they all suck, just USPS sucks more - Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2020, 04:23:23 PM »
Dennis, I am glad you have not experienced what I have.   

I, in the  past, have had good service with the USPS.  I have over 1,000 transactions on ebay, so I am no stranger to mailing stuff.

That is my the title of my thread has the word "declining." 

This year I am 0 -2 mailing important documents.  Both were not delivered or returned.  If everyone else in the world has 100% success and only my documents disappear does that mean it is okay?

Is that OK?  No - I don't believe any of us responding have either said or implied it's OK.

What I WILL say is we would be hard-pressed to find any other service that offers world-wide service at such (relatively) reasonable rates and performs with such (to me) astonishing reliability.

Were I in your area, the thought of using another service would certainly cross my mind.  As pointed out above, "work ethic" appears to vary widely across the country.  Tracking relies on individuals to scan the mail - having personally delivered mail and observed others doing the same, I can definitely attest to a wide difference in individuals ...

Substituting for a specific carrier in North Carolina for a few days, I found several pieces of mail that had been at her kiosk for many days!

I suspect USPS performance would be even better if a greater number of workers were "full-time employees with benefits".  Many carriers are simply paid an hourly wage with no benefits and no assurance they'll be working next week.  One of the best employees here in my town had worked as a clerk for more than 10 years but didn't even know which location he'd be working in 2 weeks down the line.

I feel - given the atmosphere in which staff function - it's all the more amazing how well the Service performs.

Dennis

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2020, 07:21:31 PM »
USPS is grossly underfunded only because they are required by law to continue paying their retired employees a princely check each month.  Unless they can get out of that mandate, they will go bankrupt, as many economists have predicted.

(NASA has gone partially private-owned, instead of depending on taxpayer money.  Maybe the USPS needs similar restructuring?)
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Arlan McKee

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2020, 09:32:23 PM »
  Boy! it could take me an hour to type what I think of the USPS service! I've lost track of the number of packages that I am positive were tampered with to see what was inside, including a Christmas card from my sister that was sliced open on the END of the envelope to see if there was a gift card in there or not.

My Daughter and Grandchildren have lived in Jonesboro, Arkansas for the past 5 years. Every single birthday or Christmas card that we have sent to them has had the end sliced open to see if any money or gift cards were enclosed. Every single one. They are easy to identify because they are colored envelopes. I think the Post Office employs a bunch of thieves that can't easily be fired.
20 years ago I had a mailman that almost daily mixed up mine and my neighbors mail. I called the Post Master who informed me that there was really NOTHING that he could do about it. It's a shame that most Civil Service and government jobs are not held to ANY performance standard.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2020, 10:46:10 AM »
Fortunately, our US Mail delivery is done by individual contract persons, and not USPS regular people,  because we are out in the country.  Our "mailperson" knows me personally, so my mail never gets mixed up.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2020, 11:20:04 AM »
In response to several of the above -

I haven't delivered mail for several years but repeat: "work ethic" varies by location.

"Tracking" doesn't necessarily involve obtaining a signature.  Every eBay purchase I ship out provides tracking - Media Mail, First Class, Priority, "Parcel Post".

RCA - Rural Carrier Associates - literally have day-to-day (contract) employment.  The pay is good - but no benefits, no assurance of hours.  We've been here 12 years and I can't remember a time when USPS hasn't been looking for RCAs in our area.  Most RCAs also need to provide their own vehicle!

I don't think the level of service depends on the carrier as much as it does the area.  Here in Minnesota, FedEx knocks themselves out.  In North Carolina, they wouldn't even return phone calls!

Whatever criteria are used to promote an individual to "Postmaster" obviously doesn't include "ability to work with people"!  I worked for one of the worst imaginable.

Were a Postmaster not giving me a satisfactory response to a complaint, i would first get the name & number of the area supervisor and make contact.  Next step would be contacting Postal Inspectors.  Might not get the desired results, but at least I'd try.

Dennis

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2020, 09:27:55 PM »
The USPS does "edit" tracking info. I have had the tracking change from one day to the next, with the edits to make the Post Office look less incompetent. They Also have routings that appear to be done by people on Crack. The routing problems may just be caused by manpower shortages due to Covid 19. The tracking edits are purely CYA. The only thing that will ever be recoverable is their final edited version.  I had a package go from Reno to San Francisco to LA, to Memphis TN, sit 5 days in Memphis, to Chicago , then be sent to Monee IL for delivery to me. The final tracking did not show the SF to LA to Memphis legs, just "in transit for those 7 days.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here