News:

• April 16, 2024, 09:51:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Manual for Sig Magnum  (Read 2154 times)

Matthew Brown

• Trade Count: (0)
Manual for Sig Magnum
« on: January 19, 2018, 12:24:34 PM »
Anyone have an extra manual for a Sig Magnum kit? I’m sure I can get it built without the manual but less chance of doing things out of order when following a manual.
Engine suggestions appreciated as well. I thought I emailed Randy for his thoughts but either he’s busy or I messed up somewhere trying to email him.

Thanks, Matt

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
Re: Manual for Sig Magnum
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 03:12:34 PM »
Hi Matt, Some engines to consider are: ST .60, .51CL, St .46 not the LA .46 unless you're a VERY Light builder! I have a friend who did mount an LA .46 in his and it performed well enough but that was without a front row finish! Of course some more modern engines will perform well but I just don't own any!

Best of luck to you!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 04:54:07 PM »
A Super Tigre 60, if you have one, is a really easy deal because it covers all weights and the model isn't small.
Chris...

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 05:08:07 PM »
  There is a web site out there that has all the SIG manuals on it. Might even find it through the SIG website and you can download what you need. SIG still has them in stock I believe and decals for the kit also. Worth checking in with them.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Matthew Brown

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 05:26:43 PM »
To all that replied, I now have a pdf copy of the instructions.
Thank you Elliot!

Now I have to find an engine. ST .60 has been mentioned. Is there a specific version I need to find? Over the years I’ve had many different ST 60s. Small case, Blue head, Black head, X-60 RE. I’m guessing these aren’t the one I’m looking for as these were all RC engines.
Ideally I’d like to buy an engine already set up for CLPA, but I’m not in a position to spend $4-500. $200ish is acceptable though.

Matt

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 05:39:19 PM »
  Matt;
    There are Tom Lay and Randy Smith set up ST.60's out there in your price range. There are a couple in the classifieds right now that are the correct versions, and just need venturi and needle valve. You want the small, light case .60 and there were several versions over the years. You will hear the term "rework" at times when referring to these, but generally there is nor retiming of the engine, just careful fitting of parts, good rings and bearings and maybe head work. Do not totally discount the later model ST.51. I have a 72 ounce Magnum powered with a stock as a rock ST.51 and although it was right at the limit, it was still capable of 500 plus point scores. There are also some Magnum brand engines that are capable that are in your price range. Tom lay is no longer with us, but a phone call to Randy Smith will I'm sure give you an idea where you stand money wise for a capable engine.
    Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 08:01:27 PM »
This is the infernal ST ' V ' 60 , anyoffthem are good , but ;

Almost all ive got , s hand , castor build up on gudgeon / wrist pin ( as per 21-46 etc )
has it RATHER AWKWARD to Get OUT . Repeated soakings in acetone , heat etc,
Brake Cleaner seems effective ( I hope , on a OS max 40  >:( >:( ).

any engine with the wrist pin removeing hiole in the rear , a smarter bloke wouldve tapped the wrist pin say 1/8 N F .

Will try your patiance . And it NEEDS to be Free , they usually arnt , sometimes ( often ) Bearings corroded . R C , no after run flush & oil .

ANYWAY ,
this is the ' 3 window ' ( POrt ) ' K ' , more economical & as powerfull . Er Well , The HEAD Concave like THIS , is the ' K ' ,

This is a Como 51 . THIS MODEL ONLY  . later arnt baffle p d p , porting on these same as K 60 , Timings NOT , theyre a 4 in pitch motor .
But fly a Magnum Good , and come up NEW occasionally , same intake as ST 60 .

The G 45 abc might be good , same almost as G 51 .

Then theres MAGNUM/ Thunder Tiger 46s , but seem to hold their price with the R C mob . Randy ( Smith ) toons these .

Gotta box of these if your a inveterate engine fiddler , 3 or 5 to muck with . Tho trade em for a New Royal 45 .

These have the most conservative crank timing of the FSR OS Clones , come up N i B occasionally , Rever rather than slugger again .

or a 4 stroke ! or if your wife dosnt like the smell , Electric .  n~ Dont need a lightweight , as some qweight Fwd wont hurt .

Theyre all in the sub $ 100 Range , you get NiB OS VF 40 / 46s for around $ 200 on Ebay .

For a new modern hot sh*t  F2B ' pro '  :-\ Injun the STALKER 61 RE or suchlike for around 250 .
In Fact any second hand USED engine aint gunna cut it , as far as hassle freee ' Go Fly '  is concerned .

Tho N.i.B. second hands maybe fine , plenty of V 60 ST NiB for under $ 200 , Ebay . or twist the arm of a ' flyer & runner ' you see's good .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 09:22:57 PM »
The POINT BEING if youve already a pile of R C Motors , your likely to already have something thatll suit .

Matthew Brown

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 07:04:09 AM »
The POINT BEING if youve already a pile of R C Motors , your likely to already have something thatll suit .

While I do have a rather large pile of RC engines, I have nothing suitable in this size range. I do have a Saito .72 but not really sure I want to go four stroke. I do love the four Saito 1.00 I have on my 3D Planes though.

I have a line on a good used ST CL 51 and an RC ST .56.

Matt

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 10:53:49 AM »
Anyone have an extra manual for a Sig Magnum kit? I’m sure I can get it built without the manual but less chance of doing things out of order when following a manual.
Engine suggestions appreciated as well. I thought I emailed Randy for his thoughts but either he’s busy or I messed up somewhere trying to email him.

Thanks, Matt

This is not the pamphlet you are looking for. It is a series of suggestions and tips by Mike Pratt it's designer.
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Matthew Brown

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 12:14:23 PM »
This is not the pamphlet you are looking for. It is a series of suggestions and tips by Mike Pratt it's designer.

Thank you! I saw in another thread he mentioned something about this. I had intentions to ask him about it. Now I don’t have to bother him.

Thanks to my friends on theprofilebrotherhood.com site, I now have both a ST 51 CL engine as well as a ST .56 RC engine headed my way! Don’t know if the .56 has any value for CLPA but it’s mine now.

Matt

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 09:47:48 AM »
The B.B. ST/56 runs very much like he St/60. Do use a tube muffler as the motor has slight sub port timing and short mufflers do not work as well.
Note most 56’s have sub port timing but a few of the last ones did not. I used the 56 a lot years ago.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 12:42:05 PM »
Big block Mercos......49 and 60, are very user friendly. I know it first hand!!!!!!!

Matthew Brown

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 08:25:34 AM »
The B.B. ST/56 runs very much like he St/60. Do use a tube muffler as the motor has slight sub port timing and short mufflers do not work as well.
Note most 56’s have sub port timing but a few of the last ones did not. I used the 56 a lot years ago.
Ed

Where do I source this tube muffler?

Matt

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 02:13:04 PM »
Big block Mercos......49 and 60, are very user friendly. I know it first hand!!!!!!!
I flew a Magnum with my big block Merco for three seasons and it performed flawlessly.  Sorry to confess, but the thing weighed in at a portly 72 ounces.  The Merco just laughed at it.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here